PDA

View Full Version : How much did Sam's looks, age & hearing issues influence the vote?

Lord Of The Garden
21-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Picture it.

Another male housemate who was 45 with no disabilities at all and who looked like Harry Redknapp (not Harry Styles) but who had behaved EXACTLY as Sam did these past few weeks

Same jokes, same comments about women, same amount of time in bed etc

Do you think HE would have won?

Honestly?

Livia
21-08-2013, 11:11 AM
The fact is, Sam isn't a 45 year old man, so it's not worth picturing it.

Kyle
21-08-2013, 11:14 AM
The fact is, Sam isn't a 45 year old man, so it's not worth picturing it.

Why not? Does that image not do it for you? :devil:

Livia
21-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Why not? Does that image not do it for you? :devil:

Well, it rather depends on the 45 year old I'm supposed to be picturing! Sam doesn't work for me at any age.

Kyle
21-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Well, it rather depends on the 45 year old I'm supposed to be picturing! Sam doesn't work for me at any age.

:joker:

Lord Of The Garden
21-08-2013, 11:23 AM
It's just a hypothetical question and one that's worth asking

Do people vote just for housemate's personality or are they influenced by other factors such as their age, looks, disabilities, background stories etc ?

Kyle
21-08-2013, 11:31 AM
It's just a hypothetical question and one that's worth asking

Do people vote just for housemate's personality or are they influenced by other factors such as their age, looks, disabilities, background stories etc ?

Well considering I'm a heterosexual male and I wanted Sam to win I can't really help you with your question.

Out of the girls I found Sophie the most sexually appealing but I never wanted her to win.

RichardG
21-08-2013, 11:33 AM
There was a huge amount of teenage girls on twitter saying they were voting for him because he was cute. If he was ugly as sin he would have had difficulty gaining as much support as he did, though the anti-Ginxter vote was pretty strong so he could have still won.

I don't believe his disability won it for him though. I'll be honest and say it probably was beneficial for him but if it was entirely down to that then SteveBB11 and MikeyBB9 would have won too.

alex_front2
21-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Sam looks way younger than 23.

In fact if I saw him on the street I'd put him as actually 16/17 and not actually an adult.

There are loads of factors that played into him winning

good looks/ harry styles looks
looks young and angelic
welsh vote
deaf vote
being seen as the good guy
not doing anything to p*ss of voters whereas all other finalists had e.g. charlie's love triangle
befriending Gina so not all her votes went to Dexter
declaring 'feelings' to Gina knowing he was going to be rebuffed: "aww poor Sam"
sticking up for unpopular Callum
not just appealing to tweenies but older women when he romanced Jemima (loads of 30+ women fancied him)
getting tasks that made him likeable e.g. joke task whereas Gina and Dexter got tasks that made them look bad e.g. Queen B and Magic task
walking around with top off and having a surprisingly good body and a very good pout
C5 determine to get him to win so editing out sexist offensive comments
telling lies about nicey wicey 'Sophie' so that she looks as if she ignores him whereas in reality she constantly tried to get him out of bed in SH
taking on Dexter in last 2 weeks and attempting to make him look bad
not falling out with Charlie when Callum was angry with her
being the 2nd lowest paid/ poorest housemate after Wolfy

johnx
21-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Think its fair to say Sam played the deaf card throughout-if it wasnt for this he wouldnt have even got through the vetting process. He did bring his deafness up alot-made more of it that yer man Steve from another BB who lost an eye and both legs. He had a strategey-sell himself as a role model for young deaf kids and memorise alot of terrible jokes to make himself seem like a fun guy.

Lets face it winning a reality show wont really do much for deaf people-unless Sam donates a large chunk to charities concerned.Thats not to say Sam didnt do well considering his dissability,so if he is a decent bloke good luck to him.

Kyle
21-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Think its fair to say Sam played the deaf card throughout-if it wasnt for this he wouldnt have even got through the vetting process. He did bring his deafness up alot-made more of it that yer man Steve from another BB who lost an eye and both legs. He had a strategey-sell himself as a role model for young deaf kids and memorise alot of terrible jokes to make himself seem like a fun guy.

Lets face it winning a reality show wont really do much for deaf people-unless Sam donates a large chunk to charities concerned.Thats not to say Sam didnt do well considering his dissability,so if he is a decent bloke good luck to him.

Whether he does it or not is another thing but he has said he will give 25% to charity.

Lord Of The Garden
21-08-2013, 11:48 AM
alex_front2 - that is some quality BB analysis right there !

Sam sure played a good game - and was dealt a helpful hand to play with by BB's editing, personal tasks etc.

eg - they never gave Sam the difficult choice to make someone 'disappear', just a comedy task with no such controversial fall out

Shame he never had the good grace to thank his voting public when he won or tip his hat to the other housemates for their part. Bit of good sportsmanship wouldn't have gone amiss, especially as he is supposed to be the nice guy..

CaudleHalbard
21-08-2013, 11:49 AM
he has said he will give 25% to charity.

And we all believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy!

Lol!;)

Kyle
21-08-2013, 11:51 AM
And we all believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy!

Lol!;)

Don't you dare tell me Santa Claus isn't real? :bawling:

Who else gives my stocking a right good stuffing every Christmas Eve??!! :conf:

Lord Of The Garden
21-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Santa is definitely real

I met him at my school Christmas fete.

Looked so much like the deputy headmaster, it was uncanny.

Kyle
21-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Santa is definitely real

I met him at my school Christmas fete.

Looked so much like the deputy headmaster, it was uncanny.

Yeh they do say Santa always looks like someone you know. One year he looked a bit like my Dad, which was a good thing too cos he was snogging the face off my Mum. It's a secret I've kept to this day....

hijaxers
21-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Sam sure played a good game - and was dealt a helpful hand to play with by BB's editing, personal tasks etc.

eg - they never gave Sam the difficult choice to make someone 'disappear', just a comedy task with no such controversial fall out

Shame he never had the good grace to thank his voting public when he won or tip his hat to the other housemates for their part. Bit of good sportsmanship wouldn't have gone amiss, especially as he is supposed to be the nice guy..

Yes and i thought his behaviour was shocking on BBOTS.
He couldn't get an intelligible sentence out
He was rude about Dexter - when Dexter was mega nice to him when he found out Sam was the winner !
All in all he remained the cruse little s***e that her really is !

Shocking display of NO MANNERS:devil:

hijaxers
21-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Yes and i thought his behaviour was shocking on BBOTS.
He couldn't get an intelligible sentence out
He was rude about Dexter - when Dexter was mega nice to him when he found out Sam was the winner !
All in all he remained the crude little s***e that her really is !

Shocking display of NO MANNERS:devil:

Jords
21-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Hearing 88%
Age 9%
Looks 3%

Tozzie
21-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeh they do say Santa always looks like someone you know. One year he looked a bit like my Dad, which was a good thing too cos he was snogging the face off my Mum. It's a secret I've kept to this day....

yes,
you saw mummy kissing santa claus,
underneath the mistletoe that night
She didn't see you creep
Down the stairs to have a peek
She thought that you were tucked
up in your bedroom fast alseep!

:wink:

Raph
21-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Welsh 70% ;)

Tozzie
21-08-2013, 12:53 PM
There was a huge amount of teenage girls on twitter saying they were voting for him because he was cute. If he was ugly as sin he would have had difficulty gaining as much support as he did, though the anti-Ginxter vote was pretty strong so he could have still won.

I don't believe his disability won it for him though. I'll be honest and say it probably was beneficial for him but if it was entirely down to that then SteveBB11 and MikeyBB9 would have won too.

I think his hearing affliction, youth, good looks and body all quite possibly contributed to his win especially by the younger teeny bopper female viewer. SteveBB11 & MikeyBB9 didn't have the youthful good looks and body that Sam has.

Verbal
21-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Picture it.

Another male housemate who was 45 with no disabilities at all and who looked like Harry Redknapp (not Harry Styles) but who had behaved EXACTLY as Sam did these past few weeks

Honestly?

You might as well come out and say 'did he win cos hes disabled?' instead of trying to thinly veil your views.

Its as frivolous as saying did Sallie get evicted first because she has tattoos?

Ridiculous

He won

He won because he was the only regular, down to earth, honest, care free person that didn't feel the need to have chavy fights every 5 mins.

Get over it

Roy Mars III
21-08-2013, 01:03 PM
80% Anti-Dexter vote
10% Disability
10% looks

no other reason to like the guy

johnx
21-08-2013, 01:13 PM
He looks like a bloody hobbit!

Didnt watch his interview-didnt he bother to thank Callum? He helped him alot in there.

Kyle
21-08-2013, 01:29 PM
yes,
you saw mummy kissing santa claus,
underneath the mistletoe that night
She didn't see you creep
Down the stairs to have a peek
She thought that you were tucked
up in your bedroom fast alseep!

:wink:

:shocked: You sang a Christmas song??!!

That's bad luck Tozzie, quick kick a black cat!

Ellen
21-08-2013, 01:31 PM
He won because voters voted for him to win over other HM's. They preferred him.
All the its just because of 'hearing loss' 'teen girl votes' or whatever claptrap they use is because they cant understand why voters didnt follow their favourite HM/s so they will pick any excuse for him winning other than people might have actually found him a nice bloke.

Tozzie
21-08-2013, 02:10 PM
He won because voters voted for him to win over other HM's. They preferred him.
All the its just because of 'hearing loss' 'teen girl votes' or whatever claptrap they use is because they cant understand why voters didnt follow their favourite HM/s so they will pick any excuse for him winning other than people might have actually found him a nice bloke.

many people did follow my favourite housemate, in fact he did very well to get as far as he did. I was just saying I think many things contributed to Sam winning and not just the fact some saw him as a nice bloke. There are and have been lots of 'nice blokes' on BB but they don't all go on to win. It stands to reason there are going to be contributing factors

Tozzie
21-08-2013, 02:12 PM
:shocked: You sang a Christmas song??!!

That's bad luck Tozzie, quick kick a black cat!

It wasn't me, it was Caudlehalbart pos/ting as me :hugesmile:

DanaC
21-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Some people probably voted because he was their cup of tea...others because they regarded him as the best of a bad bunch, others because they were impresed by the way he coped with the house under difficult circumstances, some because they liked his personality.

Why did dex come second? Why did so many vote for him? I daresay some because they thought he was cute, others because they thought he was the most entertaining, or the best of a bad bunch, some because they found him funny, and others because they were intrigued by his story/journey.

Same for most of the HMs. Different people vote for different HMs for different reasons.

I don't see how he played up the deaf issue really. He referenced it a few times. But he didn't seem to seek sympathy half as much as other housemates (Charlie with her constant tears and confusion, Dexter with his billy-no-mates- all-I-want-is-for-people-to-like-me-I-have-no-friends routine).

Everyone else talked (and talked and talked) about themselves, the issues they faced in life, the impact of those issues on them and what they hoped to gain from the BB experience. Was Sam supposed to stay silent about one of the most defining aspects of his life? What a double standard. So it's ok if people seek sympathy for the traumas they've had or the things their lives are missing, or the difficulty they're having with the emotional 'roller coaster' of the BB house, as long as anybody with a disability never mentions that. never mentioned how that is creating an extra layer of difficulty for them within the house.

Also: women over 35 fancying Sam? Fuhreels? My God that would feel like paedophilia.

I never could understand middle aged women going all gooey over Justin Bieber or Harry Stiles.

smudgie
21-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Some people probably voted because he was their cup of tea...others because they regarded him as the best of a bad bunch, others because they were impresed by the way he coped with the house under difficult circumstances, some because they liked his personality.

Why did dex come second? Why did so many vote for him? I daresay some because they thought he was cute, others because they thought he was the most entertaining, or the best of a bad bunch, some because they found him funny, and others because they were intrigued by his story/journey.

Same for most of the HMs. Different people vote for different HMs for different reasons.

I don't see how he played up the deaf issue really. He referenced it a few times. But he didn't seem to seek sympathy half as much as other housemates (Charlie with her constant tears and confusion, Dexter with his billy-no-mates- all-I-want-is-for-people-to-like-me-I-have-no-friends routine).

Everyone else talked (and talked and talked) about themselves, the issues they faced in life, the impact of those issues on them and what they hoped to gain from the BB experience. Was Sam supposed to stay silent about one of the most defining aspects of his life? What a double standard. So it's ok if people seek sympathy for the traumas they've had or the things their lives are missing, or the difficulty they're having with the emotional 'roller coaster' of the BB house, as long as anybody with a disability never mentions that. never mentioned how that is creating an extra layer of difficulty for them within the house.

Also: women over 35 fancying Sam? Fuhreels? My God that would feel like paedophilia.

I never could understand middle aged women going all gooey over Justin Bieber or Harry Stiles.

Excellent post .

Too old to fancy Sam.

Don't get the Harry Styles love at all, the Only thing I know about him is what my mate tells me as she has worked on their albums.

See past the deafness as hubby is deaf. Just don't see why anyone would feel sympathy.

All in all I liked him as he was a good genuine down to earth lad not pretending to be something he wasnt.:hugesmile:

barbel13
21-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Welsh vote and sympathy vote and BB team are corrupt who had money on SAM to win.This is why they painted dex on a bad light with love triangle when there was none.

Kyle
21-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Welsh vote and sympathy vote and BB team are corrupt who had money on SAM to win.This is why they painted dex on a bad light with love triangle when there was none.

:joker: :joker:

Corrupt lol. I guess they paid the crowd to all scream for Sam in the final too while they were at it. :joker:

Tozzie
21-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Good post DanaC.

I wasn;t meaning Sam pushed his deaf issues I was meaning it is quite possible for people to feel sorry and it can and may, note I say can influence peoples votes. I guess this is something we will have to beg to differ on DanaC, I see it that his deaf issues quite possibly played a part in him winning, (not all of it) and you don't. I actually did feel sorry for Sam myself for his deafness, I'm not an ogre with no feelings. I consider myself a very caring woman, I take care of severely brain damaged people in my work. I am merely saying it how I see it.

I could never fancy someone of Sams age, he's a nice looking young man but fancy, urgh, like you say, it would be just wrong :nono:, but there are some older women who would I suspect :tongue:

DanaC
21-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I was referring more to what john said:

I can accept that there may have been people out there voting for him because he is deaf, if that's the issue that caught their attention. Likewise some will have voted him because he's a local lad, or because they liked his accent. But most/all housemates have something that differentiates them from the others and will hold significance for some of the people voting. There may well be people out there, who have had experience of eating disorders who saw something in Charlie that others might not get. And there may have been people who voted for Gina because she's a strong female, or because she's black. How many families out there with twins felt some sense of immediate kinship with Jack and Joe? How many just because they have 18 year old sons and so viewed the boys with some affection

They all have something that may draw a particular demographic. That's how it works. But that's fine, because that's how it works for all of them. For all the people voting for Sam because he was deaf, an equally committed group may have been voting for Gina as a black woman. or voting for Dex as an ex-gambler.

pcro
21-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Picture it.

Honestly?

It had EVERYTHING to do with it. It had to. What else was there?

Withano
21-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes he would still win, his competition was two people with genuinely awful personalities. 2 irritating twins and a girl who wasn't as funny as Sam.

Most people would win a final against these 4.

CaudleHalbard
21-08-2013, 03:32 PM
voting for Dex as an ex-gambler.

Doubt there'd be many of these! :D

DanaC
21-08-2013, 03:32 PM
hahaha. well, maybe not :p

robroy_2000
21-08-2013, 03:34 PM
I have a question then talking about sam he said he only got 70% hearing and in his vt he says he lip reads how can you lip read big brother

anne666
21-08-2013, 03:41 PM
A lot of sympathy voting I think, window shoppers for the final night and the bookies panicking about how much they would have to pay out if Gina or Dexter won. Happens every time when outsiders reach the final.

DanaC
21-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I have a question then talking about sam he said he only got 70% hearing and in his vt he says he lip reads how can you lip read big brother

Umm...because he also uses a hearing aid? And only lip reads when there are...y'know...some lips to read from...

Vicky.
21-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Bit silly to even think of this really. Would Brian have won if he wasn't gay? Would Nadia have won if she wasn't transgender? Would Sophie have won if she wasn't a blonde model and ditzy?

You just cant even imagine them being different, so you cant even begin to form an opinion on how voting would go without things like this.

mr rochester
21-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I love the beautiful dog in your avatar LOtG!

Lord Of The Garden
21-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I love the beautiful dog in your avatar LOtG!

Thank you! She is a collie and was a gorgeous 9 week old pup when that was taken. Lovely girl she turned out to be too!

DanaC
21-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Oh aye, she's a bonnie lass.

mr rochester
21-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Thank you! She is a collie and was a gorgeous 9 week old pup when that was taken. Lovely girl she turned out to be too!

:lovedup: She's really dear.

Maybe we could adopt her as our forum pet dog - if the mods would let us...

(apologies for going off topic - sorry).

DanaC
21-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Then I'd have to get jealous on my Carrot's behalf :p

muchadoaboutnothing
21-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Picture it.

Honestly?

Apart from your suggestion of a male HM aged 45 (in comparison to young Sam) I do think you have a point. I believe Sam would have had many votes to win based on his partly deaftness and his good body along with a smile to die for, not to mention his good looks. Kinda reminds me of when a good looking but not brilliant singer keeps getting through round after round on X-factor and is voted for by the young teens and hoping for him to be their first love. So yes I think Sam won on the points you made - which is a pity as I believe Dexter to be the deserving winner.

Vicky.
21-08-2013, 09:25 PM
OK I have just got what this thread means..took a while, read it toally wrong the first time :blush2:

No, a housemate that behaved like Sam but wasnt goodlooking and young with hearing problems would have been out quite early on I suspect, and would definitely not be even considered to win.

Jimrod
21-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Sympathy votes had nothing to do with it. All the people I know who liked Sam was because he seemed nice, likeable, genuine and had the guts to stand up to Dexter multiple times about his game playing as well as standing by his friend Callum when the other's turned on him. His looks will have got him some teen votes. No-one votes out of sympathy - X-Factor over milked that one years back.

Did Dexter get voted up to second place because he's mixed race with a 10-year-old boy's body hormone problem or are these kinds of make-up-an-excuse-for-your-favourite-not-winning threads a one-way anti-Sam thing?

alex_front2
21-08-2013, 09:55 PM
He looks like a bloody hobbit!

Nope he is a good looking guy, this is one thing that can't be disputed. Sure he looks younger than 23 (easily be a teen) but he's got a nice smile, amazing pout and shockingly good body.

aj2463
21-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I think the fact he was up against a bunch of self-obsessed kn*bs with no likeable qualities whatsoever helped Him greatly

reece(:
22-08-2013, 01:19 AM
A large percentage of it will have been sympathy/horny girl vote.

muchadoaboutnothing
22-08-2013, 08:43 AM
OK I have just got what this thread means..took a while, read it toally wrong the first time :blush2:

No, a housemate that behaved like Sam but wasnt goodlooking and young with hearing problems would have been out quite early on I suspect, and would definitely not be even considered to win.

You pretty much summed it up Vicky. I really believe he would not have won if it were not for his attributes of deafness, good looks, smiles and the air of innocence.

Dominic
22-08-2013, 08:45 AM
The things is One Direction sucks, so Harry Styles look votes are delusional.

Kyle
22-08-2013, 08:47 AM
A large percentage of it will have been sympathy/horny girl vote.

Course it will. Change that record it's getting a bit stuck.

Kyle
22-08-2013, 08:49 AM
The things is One Direction sucks, so Harry Styles look votes are delusional.

Lol.

I don't even like crappy little boy bands with the floppy hair and the "oh baby, baby let me give you some sugar" but I wanted Sam to win.

Cherie
22-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Lol.

I don't even like crappy little boy bands with the floppy hair and the "oh baby, baby let me give you some sugar" but I wanted Sam to win.

You sure you are not a horny teenage girl masquerading as an older man :devil:

Vanessa
22-08-2013, 08:58 AM

:joker:

Kyle

Lol you got me.

My real names Stacey, I'm a fat teenage Welsh girl with a hearing aid that is desperate to ruin big brother by picking bores and peeving at guys with hair like a kitchen mop.

:whistle:

Cherie
Lol you got me.

My real names Stacey, I'm a fat teenage Welsh girl with a hearing aid that is desperate to ruin big brother by picking bores and peeving at guys with hair like a kitchen mop.

:whistle:

I knew it :hmph: could be no other reason for the Sam love.:devil:

Kyle
22-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I knew it :hmph: could be no other reason for the Sam love.:devil:

Shat up gurlfreeend, you better not be getting in on my man.

http://media.entertainment.sky.com/image/unscaled/2004/12/29/Little-Britains-Vicky-Pollard-1264976.jpg

Cherie
22-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Shat up gurlfreeend, you better not be getting in on my man.

http://media.entertainment.sky.com/image/unscaled/2004/12/29/Little-Britains-Vicky-Pollard-1264976.jpg

lol

Seriously though there were many many people who tore into Dexter for his looks, so I suppose looks do play their part, not sure how that theory correlates with Denise Welch winning though...back to the drawing board.

Vanessa
22-08-2013, 09:05 AM
lol

Seriously though there were many many people who tore into Dexter for his looks, so I suppose looks do play their part, not sure how that theory correlates with Denise Welch winning though...back to the drawing board.

Nothing wrong with Dexter looks. :p

Kyle
22-08-2013, 09:06 AM
lol

I'm sure there will be people out there that picked Sam because they fancied him, some people fancy Dexter maybe they would vote for him for the same reason.

I just think its sour grapes to pin the blame on horny college girls though.

Lord Of The Garden
22-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Sympathy votes had nothing to do with it. All the people I know who liked Sam was because he seemed nice, likeable, genuine and had the guts to stand up to Dexter multiple times about his game playing as well as standing by his friend Callum when the other's turned on him. His looks will have got him some teen votes. No-one votes out of sympathy - X-Factor over milked that one years back.

Did Dexter get voted up to second place because he's mixed race with a 10-year-old boy's body hormone problem or are these kinds of make-up-an-excuse-for-your-favourite-not-winning threads a one-way anti-Sam thing?

That's exactly why i asked the question -

Do people genuinely vote for the personality within?

Or do other outside factors (age, looks, back story etc) influence the vote?

If Sam came across as a genuinely nice person then i could understand him winning, as i could with previous 'nice' winners such as Cameron, Rachel Rice and Luke A

But i didn't think Sam was that nice.

In fact i thought he was one of the least nice people in there, hence the question as to why he really did win?

He never 'stood up' for himself as you say, because no one in there had a problem with him!
He had problems with others though and the rare times he spoke out about it, wasn't to make peace and find resolution, instead it was just him saying his bit and walking off.
Came across as arrogant and judgmental with no attempt to see both sides.

He never spoke fondly of other HMs when in the diary room, which stood out for me, especially as all the others had nice things to say about other HMs including Sam. He hardly even mentioned Callum after he left.

When he won, he never once thanked or even acknowledged his voters. Never mentioned or tipped his hat to the other HMs either. He couldn't even drop his personal grudge against Dexter, even though Dexter was very positive and supportive of Sam's win, despite Sam's continuing personal issues with Dex over the weeks.

All very unsportsmanlike and not how a nice guy usually behaves in victory. Luke A for example, had far more grace and warmth upon winning.

Sam was a quiet winner sure, but not a nice winner.

p.s. It's not a personal anti-Sam thing, i really liked him at first but i'd have felt the same if anyone else had behaved in the same way.

p.p.s. my favourites had long been evicted so i didn't mind who won in the end. But whoever won i would have expected far more sporting behaviour than was displayed by Sam.

I think any of the other 4 finalists would at least have been far more thankful, especially towards their voters.

HBB1508
22-08-2013, 11:08 AM

If Sam came across as a genuinely nice person then i could understand him winning, as i could with previous 'nice' winners such as Cameron, Rachel Rice and Luke A

In fact i thought he was one of the least nice people in there, hence the question as to why he really did win?

He never 'stood up' for himself as you say, because no one in there had a problem with him!
He had problems with others though and the rare times he spoke out about it, wasn't to make peace and find resolution, instead it was just him saying his bit and walking off.

He never spoke fondly of other HMs when in the diary room, which stood out for me, especially as all the others had nice things to say about other HMs including Sam. He hardly even mentioned Callum after he left.

When he won, he never once thanked or even acknowledged his voters. Never mentioned or tipped his hat to the other HMs either. He couldn't even drop his personal grudge against Dexter, even though Dexter was very positive and supportive of Sam's win, despite Sam's continuing personal issues with Dex over the weeks.

All very unsportsmanlike and not how a nice guy usually behaves in victory. Luke A for example, had far more grace and warmth upon winning.

p.s. It's not a personal anti-Sam thing, i really liked him at first but i'd have felt the same if anyone else had behaved in the same way.

p.p.s. my favourites had long been evicted so i didn't mind who won in the end. But whoever won i would have expected far more sporting behaviour than was displayed by Sam.

I think any of the other 4 finalists would at least have been far more thankful, especially towards their voters.

:thumbs:

anne666
22-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Sam would never have won if Gina and Dexter had not been outsiders in the betting. The bookies always see to that.

anne666
22-08-2013, 12:04 PM

My thoughts exactly, well said. I like him until Callum left and he continued to drip the poison Callum had fed to him. Will he now see how many lies Callum told him about many things. That was not friendship, no respect at all lying to Sam the way he did.

Tozzie
22-08-2013, 12:25 PM

good post and this is also how I perceived Sam. Your words sum up my thoughts. I liked Sam at the beginning but as the show went on I began to dislike him. I was especially upset with Sam when both he and Dexter were awaiting to hear the results he was clearly rude by walking away from Dexter when it was plain to see Dexter had wanted to talk to him. Even after that Dexter still didn't bear a grudge and was as you say very positive and congratulated Sam in his win. To me that is great sportsmanship. I do wonder that whilst some Sam fans perhaps chose not to see this or if any would actually agree on that part. I would have respected Sam much more had he been more of a sportsman whilst awaiting the results instead he went out of his way to ignore Dexter. That is rude. I wish Sam fans would stop saying we Dexter fans have sour grapes, that is not so, not in my case at least, Dexter was and always will be MY winner regardless of who took the money.

mikkil
22-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Exactly right - he was the biggest game player of them all - but not in the nicest way at all

Maybe he will use some of the winnings to learn the alphabet - as he is aged 23
My grandaughter knows it at 2.5 and can recognise all the letters and spell her name

mikkil
22-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Well said - I just cannot believe people believing he is nice - shows what a editing does and saying I am a charity case - not a role model for disabilities generally including the deaf

reece(:
22-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Course it will. Change that record it's getting a bit stuck.
Just answering the OP? If you're bored of the thread, don't read. :idc:

alex_front2
22-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Agree with Lord of the Garden about Sam saying he stuck up for himself. No-one had a problem with him, or abusing him. He's just wanted to play victim.