PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done a water fast?

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm reading up about it now and have been for a couple of days. I mentioned it to my GP yesterday too and she has no problems with it, reckons it does good as long as its short term.

So heres the deal.

Apparently it detoxes your body and has been known to 'cure' health conditions. As I am getting next to no help with my ribs and painkillers have completely stopped working and docs are still no closer to discovering what the problem actually is, this is kinda a last resort.

At the same time..I have weight to lose. And apparently this is a quick way to lose it. I have slipped into terrible eating habits and have now put back on everything I lost after having James 10 months ago. I think losing around 2 stone would be good.

I'm thinking of doing 14 days. Apparently when you break the fast too, your body craves healthy food, so this would be a way to sort my diet out at the same time (been eating so much crap and craving chocolate so bad...)

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success, or knows anyone that has...either from the weight loss perspective or the health benefits side of it. The health part is much more important to me than the weight loss, and there does seem to be a lot about it on the internet, but I don't trust google too much tbh. I don't want to get my hopes up too much for nothing :laugh:

Mokka
10-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I have a hard time believing a GP would sign off on this

I have not done it, but I have done the Master Cleanse on several occasions

Amy Jade
10-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Yeah I used to to them when I was losing weight I lost a good ammount, just never heard of 14 days. My trainer said 5 days.

Could be because I am a teenager though.

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:37 PM
I have a hard time believing a GP would sign off on this

I have not done it, but I have done the Master Cleanse on several occasions

Honestly, I was quite surprised too. Mind this is a woman who has given me cream thats not even approved in this country (its made with chillis...thats all I know) to try and sort my ribs out as she is completely baffled by the whole deal.

She didn't support it as such, but said it won't do any harm and that I'm to do whatever I feel is necessary to try and eliminate my pain. And that short term its not dangerous at all :shrug: I took that as a go ahead

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Yeah I used to to them when I was losing weight I lost a good ammount, just never heard of 14 days. My trainer said 5 days.

Could be because I am a teenager though.

Apparently people do up to 40! I couldn't do 40, and I would be surprised if doing it for that long didn't trigger eating disorders and such in some people.

Is it correct that you feel absolutely awful (flu like I have been told) for about 3 days, then perfectly fine..and even full of energy after that? Its going to be getting through the first few days thats the hardest by far I reckon. Obviously I expect to feel staring for a few days, but that will go away too I reckon.

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
10-06-2015, 07:40 PM
what is actually is it? do you literally just drinking water and eat nothing for 2 weeks? :umm2:

reece(:
10-06-2015, 07:41 PM
I'd be scared of fainting/collapsing :worry:

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:43 PM
what is actually is it? do you literally just drinking water and eat nothing for 2 weeks? :umm2:

Yup pretty much. Then you have to do like a week of eating raw veg and stuff because eating anything else after that long will make you really ill

Mokka
10-06-2015, 07:43 PM

Literally... yes

The Master Cleanse is the same but with lemon cayenne and maple syrup to drink... like Piper did in OITNB

rubymoo
10-06-2015, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't recommend a water fast as the body will think you're starving and the weight you lose will only be water, so when you start eating again the weight will go on quicker, if i could give some advice it would be to look into the nutri bullet, i can't sing it's praises high enough, i've lost a stone in about 8 weeks, i have a nutri bullet in the morning, a chicken salad or poached egg and roasted vegetables for dinner, and i have sweet potato wedges with a turkey steak or fish for teatime, for snacks i have a nakd bar, i eat nothing after 6pm, and i walk my dog for up to 2 hours a day.

Smithy
10-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Sounds dangerous tbh

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't recommend a water fast as the body will think you're starving and the weight you lose will only be water, so when you start eating again the weight will go on quicker, if i could give some advice it would be to look into the nutri bullet, i can't sing it's praises high enough, i've lost a stone in about 8 weeks, i have a nutri bullet in the morning, a chicken salad or poached egg and roasted vegetables for dinner, and i have sweet potato wedges with a turkey steak or fish for teatime, for snacks i have a nakd bar, i eat nothing after 6pm, and i walk my dog for up to 2 hours a day.
I'm not as concerned about the weight thing as about the health benefits that fasting apparently brings though?

Amy Jade
10-06-2015, 07:51 PM
I never felt ill but it was probably because I only did 5 day fasts and then ate healitly on weekends,

The closest thing I ever came to was Lipotrim, that is shakes and I lost 7lbs in a week and my mum lost 1stone 4lbs in a week. It's amazing but it made me feel ill, my mum stayed on it for ages and lost over 4 stone in 6 weeks. You have to go to a doctor or dietician to do it.

JoshBB
10-06-2015, 07:53 PM
I've never done something like this but I know people who have. The basic rule is to make sure you only do it 2 days a week maximum (and spread your days out), and try to stick to around 1500 calories tops on days where you aren't doing it.

By logic you should be 3000 calories deficit from your fast days and around 300-500 per other day (so around 1500)

A pound of weight is 3500 calories so you'd lose at least a pound and a quarter a week sticking to this, possibly more depending on your metabolism.

You dont want to end up going on a crash diet where you give up and eat worse afterwards, gaining weight instead of losing it.

rubymoo
10-06-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm not as concerned about the weight thing as about the health benefits that fasting apparently brings though?

I've had a host of health problems, which i now consider to be dairy and gluten intolerances, my problems were lethargy, fatigue, sinus congestion, memory problems, muscle weakness, painful periods, nausea, brain fog, concentration problems, depression, bloating, heartburn, insomnia and many more, since doing this diet my body gets all the nutrients it needs, and i found my issues have mostly cleared up, i have more energy, my brain actually started to communicate with my stomach and ask if it was hungry to which it replied no! And to put the cherry on the cake i was told twice last week that i look radiant!

Like i say i can't sing it's praises high enough, i have fell off the wagon (it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago) and my issues started to return, so for me it's a long term issue, look into stomach health as that's where your immunity is, if your stomach is weak your health will suffer.

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:55 PM
I've never done something like this but I know people who have. The basic rule is to make sure you only do it 2 days a week maximum (and spread your days out), and try to stick to around 1500 calories tops on days where you aren't doing it.

By logic you should be 3000 calories deficit from your fast days and around 300-500 per other day (so around 1500)

A pound of weight is 3500 calories so you'd lose at least a pound and a quarter a week sticking to this, possibly more depending on your metabolism.

You dont want to end up going on a crash diet where you give up and eat worse afterwards, gaining weight instead of losing it.

No this is the 5:2 diet. I'm not doing this for weightloss primarily, though its a welcome side effect :p

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I've had a host of health problems, which i now consider to be dairy and gluten intolerances, my problems were lethargy, fatigue, sinus congestion, memory problems, muscle weakness, painful periods, nausea, brain fog, concentration problems, depression, bloating, heartburn, insomnia and many more, since doing this diet my body gets all the nutrients it needs, and i found my issues have mostly cleared up, i have more energy, my brain actually started to communicate with my stomach and ask if it was hungry to which it replied no! And to put the cherry on the cake i was told twice last week that i look radiant!

Like i say i can't sing it's praises high enough, i have fell off the wagon (it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago) and my issues started to return, so for me it's a long term issue, look into stomach health as that's where your immunity is, if your stomach is weak your health will suffer.
Apparently my stomach and everything is fine. I had a camera down my throat a few months back to check on all of that

My diet is apparently healthy (though I disagree D: ) based on my blood tests...which show the correct levels of vitamins and such. Except for me being severely aneamic, but that was brought on by pregnancy and never went away. No matter what I do, my iron levels are ridiculously low. I was on 3 iron tablets a day with loads of brocolli and red meat and stuff and it made NO difference D:

Honestly, I will probably do the healthy eating thing afterwards anyway. I do need to sort out my diet. But medical help...isn't helping me and I need alternative routes to try, the pain is unbearable literally 18-20 hours every day :(

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 08:00 PM
http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2013/02/10-day-water-fast/

There are so many pages like this everywhere.

I usually tend not to believe them as they usually try to sell you some amazing pill or something at the same time, but nothing is being sold here

rubymoo
10-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Apparently my stomach and everything is fine. I had a camera down my throat a few months back to check on all of that

My diet is apparently healthy (though I disagree D: ) based on my blood tests...which show the correct levels of vitamins and such. Except for me being severely aneamic, but that was brought on by pregnancy and never went away. No matter what I do, my iron levels are ridiculously low. I was on 3 iron tablets a day with loads of brocolli and red meat and stuff and it made NO difference D:

Honestly, I will probably do the healthy eating thing afterwards anyway. I do need to sort out my diet. But medical help...isn't helping me and I need alternative routes to try, the pain is unbearable literally 18-20 hours every day :(

That's interesting because i was severely anaemic, i couldn't take the pills as they irritated my stomach.

What pain do you get, if that's not too personal a question.

The thing is with water fasting is you'll probably suffer with massive migraines as your body releases toxins, the most gentle way to do it is a juice fast if you must, but even then you'll probably get a migraine as your body will cry out for the foods that are addictive, this goes for caffeine, gluten, dairy, soya, corn, wheat, and sugar, this is a road i've travelled and battled with for years, i believe a lot of health issues can be resolved by diets, i too had a camera down, they found a hiatus hernia and mild inflammation, i do believe i've had systemic inflammation for years, but i decided on coming up for my 40th bday that i had to sort it.

rubymoo
10-06-2015, 08:13 PM
I know what you're say Vicky, there's loads of stuff on the net, you have to find what's right for you, i did try a water fast but by the evening i had a migraine so severe i vomited and had to go to bed, and the cravings....wow, i could think about nothing but food, i lasted 2 days:laugh:

And then i gorged on crap because i was so hungry, and then i felt guilty, a failure and a loser (talk about beating yourself up!)

Have a read of the nutri bullet diet, i must admit i have taken my calorie intake down to 1200 - 1500 a day, and i needed to lose a bit of weight, but i did it for my health not my weight and i'm so glad i did because i'm learning so much about my body, what works for one person won't work for another, my problem was that i didn't listen to my body and now i've started to.

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 08:14 PM
That's interesting because i was severely anaemic, i couldn't take the pills as they irritated my stomach.

What pain do you get, if that's not too personal a question.

The thing is with water fasting is you'll probably suffer with massive migraines as your body releases toxins, the most gentle way to do it is a juice fast if you must, but even then you'll probably get a migraine as your body will cry out for the foods that are addictive, this goes for caffeine, gluten, dairy, soya, corn, wheat, and sugar, this is a road i've travelled and battled with for years, i believe a lot of health issues can be resolved by diets, i too had a camera down, they found a hiatus hernia and mild inflammation, i do believe i've had systemic inflammation for years, but i decided on coming up for my 40th bday that i had to sort it.

The pain isn't caused by the anemia, I dont really get any symptoms from that besides feeling faint sometimes. I stopped taking my iron tablets as they didn't appear to be helping (gave them 3 months and my levels never improved) and I couldn't poo! Made me so constipated and had a really bad stomach the entire time I was on them

The pain is a completely different matter. I get it every day, without fail, it lasts hours though it does vary slightly. Nothing I do eases it, no stretches or anything. Its on the right side of my rib cage, where if you hang your arms down by your sides...right under there. It feels like it actually is in my ribs, but I have had 2 xrays now and no problems are showing on my ribs (or my spine). Every blood test I have shows massive inflammation, so the docs know there is something amiss somewhere. I have had a endoscopy, I have had around 15 blood tests in 8 months. 2 x rays, 5 trips to A&E for shots of morphine when it became completely unbearable. They were going to check my gallbladder and liver, but they screwed up the appointments and blamed me for not showing up and now I have to wait to be re-referred for that again, which took 4 months last time. Codeine initially helped the pain a lot...but I ended up having to take doses of 300mg at a time (GP didnt recommend that much, I just kept popping them until the pain went) to have any relief, so I told the docs I wasn't taking it anymore. Turns out I develop a tolerance to painkillers really quickly, so anything I try works for a week at the most before doses have to get too high.

So yeah, my son seems to have broken me :laugh:

Mokka
10-06-2015, 08:16 PM
that sounds awfully close to gallbladder pain... I know that well

Xtopher
10-06-2015, 08:18 PM
I did it for 2 days then I quit. I felt so weak.

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 08:19 PM
that sounds awfully close to gallbladder pain... I know that well

Docs never even mentioned gallbladder. My counselor mentioned that and then the docs were like 'oh yeah, we will test for that too':facepalm: I believe Kizzy mentioned it on here at around the sametime too...last time I was going on about my ribs

But if its going to be another 4 months before thats sorted...I can't wait that long.

If its gallbladder thats causing it..will they just take it out? Its one of the things you don't actually need isn't it? Like an appendix?

If it turns out to be something simple to fix I'm going to be so pissed that I have been messed around so much

Pete.
10-06-2015, 08:21 PM
I think Wendy Williams is doing something similar but with wholesome foods included like walnuts and kale. Basically no meat/fatty meals

rubymoo
10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
The pain isn't caused by the anemia, I dont really get any symptoms from that besides feeling faint sometimes. I stopped taking my iron tablets as they didn't appear to be helping (gave them 3 months and my levels never improved) and I couldn't poo! Made me so constipated and had a really bad stomach the entire time I was on them

The pain is a completely different matter. I get it every day, without fail, it lasts hours though it does vary slightly. Nothing I do eases it, no stretches or anything. Its on the right side of my rib cage, where if you hang your arms down by your sides...right under there. It feels like it actually is in my ribs, but I have had 2 xrays now and no problems are showing on my ribs (or my spine). Every blood test I have shows massive inflammation, so the docs know there is something amiss somewhere. I have had a endoscopy, I have had around 15 blood tests in 8 months. 2 x rays, 5 trips to A&E for shots of morphine when it became completely unbearable. They were going to check my gallbladder and liver, but they screwed up the appointments and blamed me for not showing up and now I have to wait to be re-referred for that again, which took 4 months last time. Codeine initially helped the pain a lot...but I ended up having to take doses of 300mg at a time (GP didnt recommend that much, I just kept popping them until the pain went) to have any relief, so I told the docs I wasn't taking it anymore. Turns out I develop a tolerance to painkillers really quickly, so anything I try works for a week at the most before doses have to get too high.

So yeah, my son seems to have broken me :laugh:

Awwww!

I was wondering if it was right side rib pain, that's what i complained to my doctor of, i had an ultrasound to check all my body organs (upper and lower ultrasound) and it showed nothing, my doctor got sick of seeing me, and said that all my tests were fine and there was nothing she could do, so i started to look into the immune system diet and anti inflammatory diet, as well as my posture, it turns out i have weak stomach and back muscles and they all support each other, so i have to strengthen them. I figured the way i sit on the sofa was causing me problems, and i was also taking a lot of vitamin pills, i've now stopped these and only eat and drinks foods that are nutrient dense and that my body can use to repair and fuel itself.

Awww my hubby wants to use the computer now, i really wish i could talk to you longer, i'll check in tomorrow morning:wavey:

Mokka
10-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Docs never even mentioned gallbladder. My counselor mentioned that and then the docs were like 'oh yeah, we will test for that too' :facepalm:

But if its goijng to be another 4 months before thats sorted...I can;t wait that long.

If its gallblader thats causing it..will they just take it out? Its one of the things you don't actually need isn't it? Like an appendix?

If it turns out to be something simple to fix I'm going to be so pissed that I have been messed around so much

my entire family has a history with gallbladder disorder. My sister went for a year or more with constant pain where they checked her gallbladder via xray over and over and they kept telling her that it wasn't it. She eventually had a major attack on an airplane ride and had to be taken off the plane into an ambulance. They removed her gallbladder that day and found it was majorly infected and probably had been all along.

Where I am they remove it without question. There is a procedure for using lasers to break up the stones... but they won't do it here because the chances of having to redo it are high and that costs more in the long run over removal

I myself have had gallbladder attacks throughout my life, and now I just do a gallbladder cleanse every year or two to keep things working and functioning normally... but many GP's would advise against this as well

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Awwww!

I was wondering if it was right side rib pain, that's what i complained to my doctor of, i had an ultrasound to check all my body organs (upper and lower ultrasound) and it showed nothing, my doctor got sick of seeing me, and said that all my tests were fine and there was nothing she could do, so i started to look into the immune system diet and anti inflammatory diet, as well as my posture, it turns out i have weak stomach and back muscles and they all support each other, so i have to strengthen them. I figured the way i sit on the sofa was causing me problems, and i was also taking a lot of vitamin pills, i've now stopped these and only eat and drinks foods that are nutrient dense and that my body can use to repair and fuel itself.

Awww my hubby wants to use the computer now, i really wish i could talk to you longer, i'll check in tomorrow morning:wavey:
Honestly, I am starting to doubt that doctors know anything besides giving out pills. If a pill can't help you, they don't seem to give a crap :bored:

I have been referred to the pain clinic to try and get something sorted short term, however there was ANOTHER mess up with that appointment too but that one shouldn't take too long to rearrange. I just feel I should be doing something myself to try and fix myself tbh. I can barely sleep as usually it comes on at night time. During my rare pain free hours I could sleep like a baby, but I feel horrible doing it as usually its just when my daughter has finished nursery, or some other time when I should be giving the kids attention :(

smudgie
10-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Docs never even mentioned gallbladder. My counselor mentioned that and then the docs were like 'oh yeah, we will test for that too':facepalm: I believe Kizzy mentioned it on here at around the sametime too...last time I was going on about my ribs

But if its going to be another 4 months before thats sorted...I can't wait that long.

If its gallbladder thats causing it..will they just take it out? Its one of the things you don't actually need isn't it? Like an appendix?

Edit, just read your above post.
The fact that the pain is mainly on a night makes me think it really could be your gallbladder.
Try and eat a fat free diet if you can, no burgers or sausages etc, and have NLT a little evening meal. Good luck with it all, nothing worse than pain you cannot control.

VICKY, next time you get the pain, if it is extreme, try and make yourself sick.
I know that sounds a bit OTT but if you are having trouble with your gallbladder and have a blockage, it normally eases it.
Well it did for me, my gallbladder was ruptured and I had a gallstone blocking the bile duct, the pain was unbearable at times.
Mind you, you would probably have gone a good shade of yellow/ green by now if that is the case. But it could be your gallbladder without a blockage.
Might be worth a try.

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
VICKY, next time you get the pain, if it is extreme, try and make yourself sick.
I know that sounds a bit OTT but if you are having trouble with your gallbladder and have a blockage, it normally eases it.
Well it did for me, my gallbladder was ruptured and I had a gallstone blocking the bile duct, the pain was unbearable at times.
Mind you, you would probably have gone a good shade of yellow/ green by now if that is the case. But it could be your gallbladder without a blockage.
Might be worth a try.

I cannot make myself sick.

I have a awful awful phobia of vomit to the point where I would rather endure terrible pain than be sick. I used to get migraines quite regularly that I KNOW would leave literally as soon as I vomitted yet I would still fight it for hours and hours :(

Does gallbladder pain always show in ribs? I would have thought it was more the stomach area but googling a bit now again and it seems it often manifests in ribs :S

Mokka
10-06-2015, 08:34 PM

I have a awful awful phobia of vomit to the point where I would rather endure terrible pain than be sick. I used to get migraines quite regularly that I KNOW would leave literally as soon as I vomitted yet I would still fight it for hours and hours :(
I
Does gallbladder pain always show in ribs? I would have thought it was more the stomach area but googling a bit now again and it seems it often manifests in ribs :S

My mom used to say, take your left arm and put it behind/across your back with the thumb out... If where your fist and thumb lye is where the pain is... It is gallbladder

Mokka
10-06-2015, 08:36 PM
i also agree from many things that I have read, night time or middle of the night pain is significant in gallbladder attacks

smudgie
10-06-2015, 08:36 PM

My pain was on the right hand see, mainly the liver to be honest as it gave me hepatitis as my bile duct was blocked With a gallstone and my body was killing me.
My worst episode I was peeing what looked like coca cola, next morning my eyeballs and skin turned green.
Unfortunately the doctors failed to diagnose the acute pain I was suffering for over a year and the beggar ruptured.
Really push to have a scan for gallstones. nobody should suffer that pain.

Amy Jade
10-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I love kale haha

Vicky.
10-06-2015, 08:43 PM
My mom used to say, take your left arm and put it behind/across your back with the thumb out... If where your fist and thumb lye is where the pain is... It is gallbladder

Its pretty much there yeah, a bit further round though, like literally in a straight line down the side of my ribs, from around my armpit to the bottom of my rib cage.

My pain was on the right hand see, mainly the liver to be honest as it gave me hepatitis as my bile duct was blocked With a gallstone and my body was killing me.
My worst episode I was peeing what looked like coca cola, next morning my eyeballs and skin turned green.
Unfortunately the doctors failed to diagnose the acute pain I was suffering for over a year and the beggar ruptured.
Really push to have a scan for gallstones. nobody should suffer that pain.

Jesus, that sounds horrific.

I'm considering now (as you lot have scared me :laugh: ) next time the pains seriously bad just going to A&E again and mentioning the gallbladder thing, as A&E seems to be the only place that actually takes me seriously. It was them who did the xrays and stuff. My docs are useless. You can't get an appointment for months and months, and even when you get one it takes months again to be referred to the right place

Josy
10-06-2015, 08:55 PM
My doctors would have a fit if I suggested this but then it's not something I would do, I couldn't handle the dizziness.

If you do go ahead with it make sure you have someone else around for any times you feel the dizziness or faintness.

hannah.
10-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Best of luck and all, but I can't see you lasting more than 5 max. It's wayyy too hard on the body and unless you're just laid in bed all day it'll be excrucuating

Mokka
10-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Just in case you are interested... this is the cleanse I use periodically...
I was told a couple of years back the pain I was having wasn't my gallbladder because nothing ever showed up in x-ray or ultrasound... but when I did the cleanse... I passed stones larger than marbles... and my health immediately went back to normal :shrug:

I am not someone who usually likes to push stuff like this in chat forums... but I have worked in the nutritional health sales field for most of my life, and I have met many people who have done this with success, but doctors will tell you it is risky. I would say it isn't as risky as a 14 day water cleanse... but that is just my perspective.

http://www.curezone.org/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp

armand.kay
10-06-2015, 09:04 PM
lol basically ramadan?

armand.kay
10-06-2015, 09:06 PM
...which is soon I'm perched fort the weight loss.

Kizzy
10-06-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm reading up about it now and have been for a couple of days. I mentioned it to my GP yesterday too and she has no problems with it, reckons it does good as long as its short term.

So heres the deal.

Apparently it detoxes your body and has been known to 'cure' health conditions. As I am getting next to no help with my ribs and painkillers have completely stopped working and docs are still no closer to discovering what the problem actually is, this is kinda a last resort.

At the same time..I have weight to lose. And apparently this is a quick way to lose it. I have slipped into terrible eating habits and have now put back on everything I lost after having James 10 months ago. I think losing around 2 stone would be good.

I'm thinking of doing 14 days. Apparently when you break the fast too, your body craves healthy food, so this would be a way to sort my diet out at the same time (been eating so much crap and craving chocolate so bad...)

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success, or knows anyone that has...either from the weight loss perspective or the health benefits side of it. The health part is much more important to me than the weight loss, and there does seem to be a lot about it on the internet, but I don't trust google too much tbh. I don't want to get my hopes up too much for nothing :laugh:

It sounds a bit odd to me, even with 5:2 you can have about 500 cals I would be worried if you had nothing in your system you could become lightheaded and pass out bit scary around the kids :/

Kizzy
11-06-2015, 01:23 AM

Your gall bladder must have had an ultrasound surely they looked at that when I had right upper quadrant pain, I had the gall out but the pain remained :/ Have you ever had your plasma viscosity checked, that will show the level of inflammation in your blood?
Maybe ask to be referred to rheumatology if you're having pain in soft tissues that might be the best place to try.
Do you feel any lumps? The thing mine tuned out to be was neuro lipomas that I may be having removed ... haven't decided to have the surgery yet :(

rubymoo
11-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Honestly, I am starting to doubt that doctors know anything besides giving out pills. If a pill can't help you, they don't seem to give a crap :bored:

I have been referred to the pain clinic to try and get something sorted short term, however there was ANOTHER mess up with that appointment too but that one shouldn't take too long to rearrange. I just feel I should be doing something myself to try and fix myself tbh. I can barely sleep as usually it comes on at night time. During my rare pain free hours I could sleep like a baby, but I feel horrible doing it as usually its just when my daughter has finished nursery, or some other time when I should be giving the kids attention :(

The doctors are rubbish, you're right they just want to give out pills and send you on your way.

For me holistic health is the way forward, at Easter this year i was suffering with a virus, my chest felt tight and wheezy, this lasted for 10 days, my daughter then passed onto me another virus which was more like a flu virus, i suffered sweats, mucous on my lungs and in my throat, i was coughing but nothing would shift it, it felt more in the bronchi than in my lungs, so when i went to drs they said everything was clear, my temperature was slightly elevated, i had to sleep sitting up as i felt like i was choking if i lay down, this lasted 5 days, i then started to get intense pain in my stomach (just below my breast bone) this radiated to the right and travelled down to the right hip, i had a strong urge to vomit but couldn't so i was dry heaving, the pain made me feel like i was going to pass out and i was sweating like a pig! I ended up phoning an ambulance, as soon as i was in the ambulance i started vomiting, this vomiting lasted for 2 hours they then gave me anti sickness tablets which stopped the vomiting (it was amazing), i had an xray which showed nothing, the junior dr made a guess that it was possibly gastritis, to which i was sent home, it was 4 in the morning i had to get a taxi and because the anti sickness meds (a drip) were removed the vomiting returned, at 5 am i just curled into a ball exhausted and fell asleep, this was my turning point, the doctors know nothing about what's affecting me, i could only assume i had multiple food intolerances, my insomnia was also a factor as the body repairs when you sleep and if you don't sleep it won't repair, i know i had mild inflammation so i had to assume the protective mucus in my stomach was of poor quality, and was actually causing leaky gut syndrome, i also had to assume that i was also suffering from estrogen dominance, as soon as the dr put me on the mini pill, my whole body seemed to calm down (so check out estrogen dominance), also my thyroid levels are on the low side but within the normal range, mine was 1.3, so ask for the thyroid test if you've had it ask for the levels and do your research regarding foods that support thyroid function.

I wish you all the good luck in the world and the only advice i can give you is to listen to your instincts, listen to your body, don't be afraid to challenge the doctor, and do your research, i think my girls (now nearly 14!) also broke my body, but i feel that diet is my way forward, as i said in a previous post look into the nutri bullet (i also did a nutri bullet thread), it really has helped me and gave me a different connection to food, i understand now that i need food that looks after and supports my body, i've also found the foods that i have an intolerance to which is hard for me to accept, but if i want to continue having no health issues i must take my dietary needs into consideration.

The foods that my body can't handle seem to be dairy, gluten, tea and coffee, tomato based meals, onion and garlic as well as lemons, after 6 weeks off these foods i found that tea and coffee give me stomach ache, lemons aggravate my acid reflux as does tomato based meals, onion and garlic, dairy seems to increase mucus that makes me suffer with sinus congestion and a post nasal drip, gluten makes me feel tired and weak, concentration, memory problems, brain fog (dairy and gluten also make me windy!) And all of these foods affect my hiatus hernia and GERD.

I found all this out in 6 weeks:) that's better than what a doctor can do!

Cherie
11-06-2015, 07:35 AM
lol basically ramadan?

...which is soon I'm perched fort the weight loss.

Don't you eat at night though? A lot of the women I work with get up to cook and eat before sunrise ? What Vicky is talking about is water 24 hours a day

Niamh.
11-06-2015, 09:20 AM
You don't eat for 14 days? :eek:

arista
11-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Sounds dangerous tbh

Yes would be for some
if they are not doing it correct

arista
11-06-2015, 09:30 AM
You don't eat for 14 days? :eek:

No sex while thats going down

Vanessa
11-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I can't do it. I love my food too much. :laugh:

Niamh.
11-06-2015, 09:31 AM
I love the name "water Fast" though, call a spade a spade, Starve yourself for 2 weeks lol

Jake.
11-06-2015, 10:45 AM

:joker:

armand.kay
11-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Don't you eat at night though? A lot of the women I work with get up to cook and eat before sunrise ? What Vicky is talking about is water 24 hours a day

Oh yeah we do eat :laugh:

24 hours fasting sounds insane, I think one of my friends mentioned doing that and constantly collapsing :worry:

arista
11-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Oh yeah we do eat :laugh:

24 hours fasting sounds insane, I think one of my friends mentioned doing that and constantly collapsing :worry:

They must have done it wrong

Mokka
11-06-2015, 11:29 AM
They must have done it wrong

How is there a right way or a wrong way to only drink water for 14 days??

It will affect different people differently tbh. If you have blood sugar issues going into it, diabetes, hypoglycaemia, hyperglycaemia etc... It very much could cause blackouts

Kizzy
12-06-2015, 12:36 AM
I'd recommend anyone with acid reflux or suspects stones should take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) diluted in water a day. Ask for a helicobactor pylori test (bacterial infection) and once clear and/or treated start with a good quality probiotic to help improve your gut health, it really helped me when I decided what I was getting from the docs (painkillers and PPI) were actually making me worse.
Since I stopped taking them I'm still in some discomfort but it's not nearly as bad, and I know I'm not putting my liver under needless stress.
Really hope you get some kind of an answer Vicky :)

rubymoo
12-06-2015, 07:23 AM
I'd recommend anyone with acid reflux or suspects stones should take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) diluted in water a day. Ask for a helicobactor pylori test (bacterial infection) and once clear and/or treated start with a good quality probiotic to help improve your gut health, it really helped me when I decided what I was getting from the docs (painkillers and PPI) were actually making me worse.
Since I stopped taking them I'm still in some discomfort but it's not nearly as bad, and I know I'm not putting my liver under needless stress.
Really hope you get some kind of an answer Vicky :)

I agree Kizzy, i take PROBIO7v from Holland and Barratt and i know when i miss a few days!

My Dr prescribed PPI's and they never agreed with me, one lot gave me paranoia (i kept thinking an evil spirit was trying to possess me:laugh:) and another lot slowed peristalsis to almost stopping so my food just sat in my stomach for 2 days:shocked: i stopped them immediately.

Kizzy
14-06-2015, 01:15 PM
You know when Vicky first posted this I thought she'd gone a bit cray... (no offence babe)
But looking at it from a perspective of acute pain associated with lipoma then it might not be so daft?
I might try water and fruit for a week see how I feel.

Vicky.
14-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Yeah I think I'm going down that route aswell to see how it goes. Raw veg, fruit and water and nowt else.

Kizzy
14-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Yeah I think I'm going down that route aswell to see how it goes. Raw veg, fruit and water and nowt else.

I told my daughter about it, she's not impressed :/
Will have a word with my doc about it too, if it shrinks them enough for me to avoid surgery that's great.

Kizzy
14-06-2015, 03:15 PM
V-WUP5psyuM

Kizzy
15-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Day 1 of a 28 day juice fast done! :D

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
16-06-2015, 12:06 AM

oh my god :joker:

iToby
16-06-2015, 01:27 AM
Due to occasional bouts of depression I take to the bed for two or three days at a time, unable to even drag myself out of it to butter a slice of bread, never mind cook a meal. Times like this I live on two or three bananas for the duration, and feel like crap afterwards, my pee often looks like guinness I do be so dehydrated. So for someone to actually do this voluntarily sounds crazy to me.

Kizzy
16-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Due to occasional bouts of depression I take to the bed for two or three days at a time, unable to even drag myself out of it to butter a slice of bread, never mind cook a meal. Times like this I live on two or three bananas for the duration, and feel like crap afterwards, my pee often looks like guinness I do be so dehydrated. So for someone to actually do this voluntarily sounds crazy to me.

I'm sorry to hear that itoby :( I would talk to your doctor about that guinness coloured pee can't be good no wonder you feel so down.
I'm not dehydrating don't worry anything but I'm drinking lots of water as well as 4 massive cups of juice a day it's great... so far :laugh:

Vicky.
16-06-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm gunna start this on monday. Have gavs other kids over this weekend so gunna need my energy :laugh: If I start on monday then my energy will be back by the next weekend

Kizzy
16-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Are you doing just the water still vicky?

Vicky.
16-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Not totally sure yet. water alone is apparently the most effective healthwise :S

Kizzy
16-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I decided against that, I have a juicer (who knew) it's brilliant so getting the nutrients in liquid form bonus, I'm going to do it till I see the liver specialist again in september I think :)

rubymoo
16-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Hope it goes well for you Kizzy and Vicky, i'll keep nipping in to read the thread to see how you're going.

I keep falling off the wagon:umm2:

I echo Kizzy's words iToby, you need to get that pee looked at.

Here's to good health:banana:

Kizzy
17-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks rubymoo :) day 3 today felt a bit off last night and had a right headache but it could've been atmospheric pressure. feel ok today.

rubymoo
17-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks rubymoo :) day 3 today felt a bit off last night and had a right headache but it could've been atmospheric pressure. feel ok today.

It could have been atmospheric pressure, it was muggy yesterday.

It could also be your body releasing toxins as it's being cleansed, or it could be that your body is having a tantrum and craving the foods that it's addicted to.

Keep with it for a few weeks (if you can) then introduce different foods one at a time, and note your reaction.

:wavey:

Kizzy
17-06-2015, 07:56 PM
It could have been atmospheric pressure, it was muggy yesterday.

It could also be your body releasing toxins as it's being cleansed, or it could be that your body is having a tantrum and craving the foods that it's addicted to.

Keep with it for a few weeks (if you can) then introduce different foods one at a time, and note your reaction.

Thanks yep thought so as my daughter felt the same, planning to stick to it till september *crosses fingers*

Kizzy
18-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Found a great site with lots of great juice recipes, not that I'm trying to talk you out of the water fast vicky .. *hehe I totes am*

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/category/blog/recipes/juice/

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/rbwj_15dayplan-FULLR_2.pdf

Kizzy
22-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Day 8 for me, did you start today Vicky?

AnnieK
22-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Do you have more energy kizzy? Any side effects other than the headache the other day?

Kizzy
22-06-2015, 10:58 PM
I haven't felt that bad at all I'm really surprised Annie, I'm tired today but I went for a walk yesterday so that's probably it. I do think the amount of inflammation in my body has reduced a lot :)

Kizzy
24-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Day 10 now, still feeling ok :)

Vicky.
24-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Didn't start on monday coz Skye got took into hospital sunday night, and spending 2 nights in hospital theres not really anything to do except worry, watch TV and eat junk :laugh:

AnnieK
24-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Is she ok Vicky?

Vicky.
24-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Yeah she is now. Just issues with her chest again like everytime she gets a cold :( Was a bit worse this time though as her oxygen was down to 60% and she had to wear an oxygen mask all of sunday night :S

Kizzy
24-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Oh god Vicky so sorry to hear that, hope she's feeling much better now x

Vicky.
26-06-2015, 07:11 PM
OK...I seem to have discovered a trigger..though it does come randomly mostly. It seems a hell of a lot worse if I eat red meat. Had a beef dinner this afternoon and I am now in utter agony. Last weekend I had steak, and I was the same.

Kizzy
26-06-2015, 07:35 PM
There's odd, could it be a digestive problem? I guess it's hard to break tough meat down.
Get on the juice Vicky :)

Mokka
26-06-2015, 07:46 PM
OK...I seem to have discovered a trigger..though it does come randomly mostly. It seems a hell of a lot worse if I eat red meat. Had a beef dinner this afternoon and I am now in utter agony. Last weekend I had steak, and I was the same.

I still say gallbladder with this information.
I stopped eating red meat because in made my ill to eat it, but I have chosen a path of health management in an effort to keep my gallbladder in... and this is one of the steps I took when I was around 20 years old to do so

Kizzy
26-06-2015, 07:55 PM
I wish to god I had :/ I only found out about the benefits of ACV (apple cider vinegar as a cure for gall stones after they removed mine.

Mokka
26-06-2015, 08:42 PM
I wish to god I had :/ I only found out about the benefits of ACV (apple cider vinegar as a cure for gall stones after they removed mine.

This is basically what my mother told me as well. She had her Gallbladder taken out in her early 20's... and she informed herself afterwords on health management for keeping it. There are health ramifications for getting it taken out... the problem is that they can be very different from one person to the next.
But when I started having issues she gave me a long lecture on exploring all the avenues before getting it removed...

Gstar
27-06-2015, 12:21 PM
I can never do this D:

rubymoo
28-06-2015, 08:30 AM
I hope your daughter is feeling better Vicky:wavey:

How you going on your juice fast Kizzy?:wavey:

Kizzy
28-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Great thanks settled into a routine with it now so it's going really well, day 13! wow best thing ever seriously wish I'd done it years ago.
Hope lil legs is feeling better too Vicky :)

Cherie
28-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Great thanks settled into a routine with it now so it's going really well, day 13! wow best thing ever seriously wish I'd done it years ago.
Hope lil legs is feeling better too Vicky :)

Are you living on juice Kizzy?

Kizzy
29-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Yes Cherie have done for two weeks now, around 5 20oz juices a day, water or tea. I have had some watermelon once or twice and I have a teaspoon of peanut butter too.
Dropped a bit of weight but the reduction in inflammation has been the best bit :)

rubymoo
29-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Yes Cherie have done for two weeks now, around 5 20oz juices a day, water or tea. I have had some watermelon once or twice and I have a teaspoon of peanut butter too.
Dropped a bit of weight but the reduction in inflammation has been the best bit :)

You're doing really well Kizzy:dance:

I know what you're saying about the reduction in inflammation, you just feel so much better, aches and pains ease up, thinking is clearer, more energy, which goes to prove that it is the foods that we eat that make us ill.

I've had a nice smoothie this morning in my nutribullet:

1 banana, 1 satsuma, frozen chopped mango, a handful of spinach, almond milk, 1 teaspoon honey, and a half teaspoon of nutmeg, blitz it all up for 45 seconds and you have the loveliest smoothest drink;)

Cherie
29-06-2015, 07:35 AM

Wow amazing not sure I could live on juice

Kizzy
29-06-2015, 07:56 AM
You're doing really well Kizzy:dance:

I know what you're saying about the reduction in inflammation, you just feel so much better, aches and pains ease up, thinking is clearer, more energy, which goes to prove that it is the foods that we eat that make us ill.

I've had a nice smoothie this morning in my nutribullet:

1 banana, 1 satsuma, frozen chopped mango, a handful of spinach, almond milk, 1 teaspoon honey, and a half teaspoon of nutmeg, blitz it all up for 45 seconds and you have the loveliest smoothest drink;)

Thankyou Rubymoo :D

Mmm sounds really lovely!, my juice this morning is a slice of honeydew,2 oranges, an apple, half a lemon,half a lime, ginger and 2 tomatoes.
I can actually feel myself repairing it's so odd, I'll feel a niggle for a bit in a place where I usually feel a lot of tenderness and after a while it's much better... I press on it and there's no shooting pains or that bruised feeling :)

I don't want to jinx myself and I am in no way saying 100% hallelujah but I really do feel it's down to the removal of the fibrous matter, just drinking the nutrient dense juice that's 'feeding' me and assimilating quicker into my system leaving more time for repair.

I'm going to re introduce foods a little at a time to see if I can find the trigger for the inflammation, as my sis is coeliac I've a feeling it's that, for the next 46 days I'm happy with my red and green days haha! ( red juice one day 'mean green' the next)

BIG thankyou to Vicky, if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have looked into water/juice fasting, found the 'fat sick and nearly dead' film or ever even considered juicing, I'm really glad I did :hee:

Kizzy
29-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Wow amazing not sure I could live on juice

Neither did I! Day 1 to 4 is pretty grim but after that you really start to feel better Cherie :)

rubymoo
29-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Thankyou Rubymoo :D

Mmm sounds really lovely!, my juice this morning is a slice of honeydew,2 oranges, an apple, half a lemon,half a lime, ginger and 2 tomatoes.
I can actually feel myself repairing it's so odd, I'll feel a niggle for a bit in a place where I usually feel a lot of tenderness and after a while it's much better... I press on it and there's no shooting pains or that bruised feeling :)

I don't want to jinx myself and I am in no way saying 100% hallelujah but I really do feel it's down to the removal of the fibrous matter, just drinking the nutrient dense juice that's 'feeding' me and assimilating quicker into my system leaving more time for repair.

I'm going to re introduce foods a little at a time to see if I can find the trigger for the inflammation, as my sis is coeliac I've a feeling it's that, for the next 46 days I'm happy with my red and green days haha! ( red juice one day 'mean green' the next)

BIG thankyou to Vicky, if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have looked into water/juice fasting, found the 'fat sick and nearly dead' film or ever even considered juicing, I'm really glad I did :hee:

Mmmm yours sounds nice, i'll have to try that one, i've read that it can take 6 months to a year to repair the body, but people with CFS, Fibromyalgia, people with allergies, basically people with auto immune responses have found that adopting a healthier (juicing or paeleo) diet, and completely eliminating modern foods have cleared their bodies of ill health, it's amazing, i believe that foods are the key to health, it's just a shame the doctors haven't cottoned on to this.

Kizzy
03-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Yes ruby I agree, the reduction in inflammation is great and I lost 10lb in the first 2 weeks!

Kizzy
09-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Still going day 24, going for 60 days now :)

AnnieK
09-07-2015, 11:41 AM
You still feeling well on it kizzy?

Kizzy
09-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Yep I am thanks Annie better and better all the time, told the physio today and he was so shocked :laugh: lost a stone so far too bonus!
Today having a carrot, orange and beetroot and spinach, celery, cucumber and apple ones.
I have a grapefruit, kiwi and ginger one in the morning most days they're my faves but I just grab anything that's on offer or reduced too, if it can be juiced it goes in :)

Vicky.
09-07-2015, 04:11 PM
I fainted 4 days in, trying again next week :joker:

Kizzy
09-07-2015, 04:13 PM
You got to 4 days, was that just water?... slapped legs for you Vicky :nono:

rubymoo
10-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Kizzy you're doing so well!

I'm so pleased you're feeling much better, i think you should start a blog.

I too try to look in the reduced aisle for fruit and veg, as it can get quite costly.

I had a raspberry, pineapple, coconut water, with a tblsp of chia seeds and some honey smoothie this morning......it was tangy:laugh:

I have gone back to having a latte and a nutrigrain elevenses bar for elevenses! I'm experiencing, tiredness, fatigue and lethargy again......i find it really hard to just cut out everything:(

Black Dagger
10-07-2015, 10:19 AM
I'd rather die.

rubymoo
10-07-2015, 10:25 AM
I'd rather die.

:shocked::laugh:

Kizzy
10-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Kizzy you're doing so well!

I'm so pleased you're feeling much better, i think you should start a blog.

I too try to look in the reduced aisle for fruit and veg, as it can get quite costly.

I had a raspberry, pineapple, coconut water, with a tblsp of chia seeds and some honey smoothie this morning......it was tangy:laugh:

I have gone back to having a latte and a nutrigrain elevenses bar for elevenses! I'm experiencing, tiredness, fatigue and lethargy again......i find it really hard to just cut out everything:(

Thanks ruby! I might haha, yes you have to be quite canny and shop about I'm lucky in Leeds there is a large outdoor market and I get a lot from there.
Coconut water sounds lovely I'm definitely going to try that, do you have a morrisons near you they have organic ground flaxseeds for £1.99 atm, they're £5.99 and H&B :)
Maybe the tiredness is a sugar crash? your morning smoothie sounds really nice but too sweet for me, try a more sharp zingy citrusy one with tomato and some turmeric that's a right wake up :laugh:

I have 5 500ml juices throughout the day and the same amount of water as well as the odd cup of green tea and that seems to do me ok, I'm not a little woman either I'm 5'10 and overweight. Mind you if you have lil kids and/or are working you'll need much more energy so I wouldn't say a juice fast was a good idea long term like this, I did it 99% due to my ill health so don't feel bad for wanting a coffee and a bun x

michael21
10-07-2015, 10:38 AM

So heres the deal.

I done a chocolate milkshake fast before where I drunk it fast :hehe:

rubymoo
10-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks ruby! I might haha, yes you have to be quite canny and shop about I'm lucky in Leeds there is a large outdoor market and I get a lot from there.
Coconut water sounds lovely I'm definitely going to try that, do you have a morrisons near you they have organic ground flaxseeds for £1.99 atm, they're £5.99 and H&B :)
Maybe the tiredness is a sugar crash? your morning smoothie sounds really nice but too sweet for me, try a more sharp zingy citrusy one with tomato and some turmeric that's a right wake up :laugh:

I have 5 500ml juices throughout the day and the same amount of water as well as the odd cup of green tea and that seems to do me ok, I'm not a little woman either I'm 5'10 and overweight. Mind you if you have lil kids and/or are working you'll need much more energy so I wouldn't say a juice fast was a good idea long term like this, I did it 99% due to my ill health so don't feel bad for wanting a coffee and a bun x

They've got a good deal on Foco coconut water in Tesco - £1.25 for a 500ml carton, you have to drink it within 24 hours as it loses it's nutritional properties after this. I've found that drinking coconut water eases my heart burn, keeps me regular, and has helped calm gastritis, so this for me is a must have.

I think i might try the five juices a day for a week and see how i get on, for me it's all or nothing, and when i fall off the wagon i fall hard, it usually takes for my stomach to hurt before i think...."i have to go back onto a juice diet!" And do you know....every time i go onto a juice diet my whole body calms down, and i feel better.

We don't have a Morrisons near us, Tesco do a lot of seeds now but they are pricey, i've been using golden linseeds to bulk out my smoothies.

I usually put some greens into my smoothies but i've not been bothering:(

You've helped motivate me Kizzy, and i will try really hard to think about my health and the fact that food is fuel (so stay away from the rubbish:fc:!)

Kizzy
10-07-2015, 11:59 AM
They've got a good deal on Foco coconut water in Tesco - £1.25 for a 500ml carton, you have to drink it within 24 hours as it loses it's nutritional properties after this. I've found that drinking coconut water eases my heart burn, keeps me regular, and has helped calm gastritis, so this for me is a must have.

I think i might try the five juices a day for a week and see how i get on, for me it's all or nothing, and when i fall off the wagon i fall hard, it usually takes for my stomach to hurt before i think...."i have to go back onto a juice diet!" And do you know....every time i go onto a juice diet my whole body calms down, and i feel better.

We don't have a Morrisons near us, Tesco do a lot of seeds now but they are pricey, i've been using golden linseeds to bulk out my smoothies.

I usually put some greens into my smoothies but i've not been bothering:(

You've helped motivate me Kizzy, and i will try really hard to think about my health and the fact that food is fuel (so stay away from the rubbish:fc:!)

That's great thanks I'll get some, oh I was on all kinds of stuff proton pump inhibitors and such for reflux, it was the apple cider vinegar that helped mine when I chucked my meds in the bin haha! I'm sure mine's diet related as yep as soon as I started juicing I felt better, maybe it's psychological who knows...who cares it's working! :laugh:
The one thing I do need is B12 as it's about the only important thing I can't get from this. But yep if you feel you need to 'reboot' as they say juice away Ruby.
I'm just sorry I waited till I was 40 something to make my health a priority, damn them for getting all the rubbish to taste so good :fist:

rubymoo
10-07-2015, 12:10 PM
That's great thanks I'll get some, oh I was on all kinds of stuff proton pump inhibitors and such for reflux, it was the apple cider vinegar that helped mine when I chucked my meds in the bin haha! I'm sure mine's diet related as yep as soon as I started juicing I felt better, maybe it's psychological who knows...who cares it's working! :laugh:
The one thing I do need is B12 as it's about the only important thing I can't get from this. But yep if you feel you need to 'reboot' as they say juice away Ruby.
I'm just sorry I waited till I was 40 something to make my health a priority, damn them for getting all the rubbish to taste so good :fist:

This is so true:laugh:

DemolitionRed
15-07-2015, 01:37 PM
I decided against that, I have a juicer (who knew) it's brilliant so getting the nutrients in liquid form bonus, I'm going to do it till I see the liver specialist again in september I think :)

Are you drinking a lot of natural fruit juice?

The reason I ask is, my husband has a genetic liver disease. He has always been advised not to drink fruit juice because of the fructose. Fructose can only be metabolised by the liver where it is converted into fat but that fat remains on the liver and can bring about fatty liver disease or confound other diseases of the liver and gallbladder.

Kizzy
24-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I have no gall bladder and I already have NAFLD :/ I only have 1 fruit juice in the morning and the rest of the day I have vegetable juices, I'm aiming for 60 days will post the results of my bloods then, fingers crossed.

Kizzy
29-07-2015, 07:25 AM
2st down! :cheer2:

kirklancaster
29-07-2015, 08:10 AM
I always use plates full of boiled cabbage and snacks of boiled beetroots eaten like apples along with regular glasses of water, which fill the stomach so less food is consumed at mealtimes. It really does help to lose weight painlessly and safely.

Kizzy
29-07-2015, 10:26 AM
All that would achieve is flatulence :laugh:

Daniel-X
29-07-2015, 10:41 AM
No but a couple of my friends have done fast water diets. Some of them were fine with it and actually lost a good amount of weight. (I think they did it for like a week as a group all together) I wouldn't recommend longer than that though one girl in my class did it for like two/three weeks I think and she was shaking in technology and she looked really really ill she collapsed in class and they had to ring her mum to come and pick her up.

Jords
29-07-2015, 10:52 AM
I dont believe in fad diets. A healthy balanced diet is key!

Cut down on your carb (e.g. pasta, rice, white bread) and sugar (e.g. drinks, chocolate, sweets) intake and overall portions.
Dont skip breakfast and only have healthy snacks like fruit/light crackers/handful of nuts etc.
Drink plenty of water and avoid fizzy drinks.
Maximise on protein and salad/veg!

A good tip is to not have the "bad foods" in the house, or at least not too much.
Also avoid takeaways, maybe have a treat day so you dont crave. If you have fish and chips, dont get it battered, if you have kebabs get shish meat instead of donner and avoid the naan/pitta bread etc.

Diet acquaints for around 70% of a healthy lifestyle - so try and include a little exercise. It recently got brought to my attention that more muscle = more calories burned so I recommend building a little muscle if possible. The focus is to be in a deficit of the recommended daily calories... Do an online test because weight, height, gender and age or play a role on what this may be.

You will lose weight and feel healthier!

Edit: Another tip is to have a high rich protein snack between lunch and tea around 3-4pm... boosts metabolism and keeps hunger at bay e.g. nuts, boiled eggs, protein shake or bar

Kizzy
29-07-2015, 11:03 AM
The reason for the thread was improved health not weight loss, this for me has just been a happy accident as I had weight to lose it was not the primary aim.

Livia
29-07-2015, 11:59 AM
I dont believe in fad diets. A healthy balanced diet is key!

Cut down on your carb (e.g. pasta, rice, white bread) and sugar (e.g. drinks, chocolate, sweets) intake and overall portions.
Dont skip breakfast and only have healthy snacks like fruit/light crackers/handful of nuts etc.
Drink plenty of water and avoid fizzy drinks.
Maximise on protein and salad/veg!

A good tip is to not have the "bad foods" in the house, or at least not too much.
Also avoid takeaways, maybe have a treat day so you dont crave. If you have fish and chips, dont get it battered, if you have kebabs get shish meat instead of donner and avoid the naan/pitta bread etc.

Diet acquaints for around 70% of a healthy lifestyle - so try and include a little exercise. It recently got brought to my attention that more muscle = more calories burned so I recommend building a little muscle if possible. The focus is to be in a deficit of the recommended daily calories... Do an online test because weight, height, gender and age or play a role on what this may be.

You will lose weight and feel healthier!

Edit: Another tip is to have a high rich protein snack between lunch and tea around 3-4pm... boosts metabolism and keeps hunger at bay e.g. nuts, boiled eggs, protein shake or bar

Great post, Jords. A healthy balanced diet is the only way to go. Fasting is fine... long-term fasting is a fad. And let's face it... you are the voice of experience.

Hope you had a lovely birthday xx

Jords
29-07-2015, 11:59 AM
The reason for the thread was improved health not weight loss, this for me has just been a happy accident as I had weight to lose it was not the primary aim.

It all goes hand in hand.

Jords
29-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Great post, Jords. A healthy balanced diet is the only way to go. Fasting is fine... long-term fasting is a fad. And let's face it... you are the voice of experience.

Hope you had a lovely birthday xx

Thanks Livia! I am now on a tone-up mission... it takes agesssss :joker:

And I did thank you lovely :blush:

Livia
29-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks Livia! I am now on a tone-up mission... it takes agesssss :joker:

And I did thank you lovely :blush:

You're really an inspiration x

Kizzy
29-07-2015, 07:20 PM
It all goes hand in hand.

What does...if you're experiencing inflammation and/or pain and you suspect a food intolerance how would a balanced diet help to identify this?

Jords
29-07-2015, 11:34 PM
cba with your awkward examples Kiz

Im obviously speaking generally

rubymoo
30-07-2015, 08:52 AM
I can't wait for you to get your results Kizzy. You've done really well keeping up with the juicing, i'm so pleased you're finding that it's working for you, what are the main things (healthwise) that you've noticed have improved?

I've found for me that the minute i stop taking pro-biotics, coconut water and my morning smoothie, inflammation seems to rear it's head (and candidia:() i can literally feel an uncomfortable heat that starts under my right rib and goes vertically down to my right hip, i was wondering to myself....what organs are there??? Gall bladder, could be pancreas, kidney, liver, these have all been checked via an ultrasound scan, i had an x-ray of my lungs in April and nothing showed on this, it then dawned on me that this is the area of my large intestine, so i started up with the coconut water and probiotics (i also try to keep as gluten free as possible) and the uncomfortable heat/ache seems to be dwindling away.

(And thanks for voting for me:blush:i was having a bad day that day and to read that i was your juicing friend really made my day, it's amazing how the effect of kind words can lift you up into such happiness:hug:)

Kizzy
30-07-2015, 01:23 PM
cba with your awkward examples Kiz

Im obviously speaking generally

This isn't a losing weight in general thread is it? The reasons and examples of why this was started have been apparent throughout the the thread and my posts on the topic if you had looked.

Jords
30-07-2015, 01:32 PM
This isn't a losing weight in general thread is it? The reasons and examples of why this was started have been apparent throughout the the thread and my posts on the topic if you had looked.

The thread is about health.

Im not replying to you after this cus quite frankly you know my suggestions were through a health lens as well as a weight loss lens. A balanced diet will make you healthier than any fad diet including this "water fast", and if you control it to promote weight loss, you will further see improvements in your health. With consideration of intolerances, of course.

Too argumentative for your own good Kiz. Youre not always 'Miss Right'.

Good day.

Kizzy
30-07-2015, 01:48 PM
I can't wait for you to get your results Kizzy. You've done really well keeping up with the juicing, i'm so pleased you're finding that it's working for you, what are the main things (healthwise) that you've noticed have improved?

I've found for me that the minute i stop taking pro-biotics, coconut water and my morning smoothie, inflammation seems to rear it's head (and candidia:() i can literally feel an uncomfortable heat that starts under my right rib and goes vertically down to my right hip, i was wondering to myself....what organs are there??? Gall bladder, could be pancreas, kidney, liver, these have all been checked via an ultrasound scan, i had an x-ray of my lungs in April and nothing showed on this, it then dawned on me that this is the area of my large intestine, so i started up with the coconut water and probiotics (i also try to keep as gluten free as possible) and the uncomfortable heat/ache seems to be dwindling away.

(And thanks for voting for me:blush:i was having a bad day that day and to read that i was your juicing friend really made my day, it's amazing how the effect of kind words can lift you up into such happiness:hug:)

No worries anytime ruby it's great to have someone that understands that trying to maintain your health isn't always that simple. Yep that too is my biggest problem inflammation :/ I have painful lipomas on my right side that flared up and caused a lot of pain before the juicing. I've been put under a rheumatologist and have physio too although I'm not sure how much of my muscle weakness is related or due to the hypermobility causing increased age related change :/

I too take a probiotic and now B12 as I'm effectively raw vegan, losing weight has really helped both with the pain and the exercise as it's improved my range of movement and energy levels massively, although I'm aware it's not a long term fix and I'm looking forward to adding foods back into my diet. The most important thing I guess is to try identify foods that trigger the inflammation response and avoid those.
I'm also hoping that I've managed to reverse my NAFLD as the way it was going NASH ( Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis) was on the cards and that's irreversible :( I'm due bloods in august so fingers crossed.

The only sure fire way to check for gluten intolerance/coeliac disease is a liver biopsy so if you are feeling better avoiding gluten then I say carry on, you don't need it and there are plenty of alternatives :)
One thing to mention is to keep moving, stretches and core exercises keep your trunk strong and stops your bowels and lymphatic system from getting sluggish which will help rid you of toxins.

Keep me posted on how you're doing Ruby it's great to bounce ideas about this while doctors push us from pillar to post :laugh: x

Kizzy
30-07-2015, 01:53 PM
The thread is about health.

Im not replying to you after this cus quite frankly you know my suggestions were through a health lens as well as a weight loss lens. A balanced diet will make you healthier than any fad diet including this "water fast", and if you control it to promote weight loss, you will further see improvements in your health. With consideration of intolerances, of course.

Too argumentative for your own good Kiz. Youre not always 'Miss Right'.

Good day.

You haven't read my posts obviously Jords, I'm not doing or would ever do a water fast.
Wag your finger all you like I'm well aware of what constitutes a healthy diet thank you.

Jords
30-07-2015, 01:56 PM
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Kizzy
11-08-2015, 10:43 PM
It's 60 days on friday but I'm extending my fast for a month... :D

Kizzy
14-08-2015, 12:23 PM
60 days! :cheer2: I changed my mind about extending the fast though, going to yoga and swimming now so need some cals for that. Adding an evening vegetarian meal in for the next month.

rubymoo
19-08-2015, 11:28 AM
60 days! :cheer2: I changed my mind about extending the fast though, going to yoga and swimming now so need some cals for that. Adding an evening vegetarian meal in for the next month.

How are you feeling Kizzy? Have you had any tests that show improvement? You are an absolute superstar for keeping the juicing up, you have some will power and determination there! (Can you bottle me up some and send it:hehe:)

Did you try the coconut water? Coconut water for me is amazing, it seems to ease inflammation quickly.

Have you thought about having your first meal at lunch (i call it dinner) time? As that's when the stomach is at it's strongest.

Cherie
19-08-2015, 12:30 PM
How are you feeling Kizzy? Have you had any tests that show improvement? You are an absolute superstar for keeping the juicing up, you have some will power and determination there! (Can you bottle me up some and send it:hehe:)

Did you try the coconut water? Coconut water for me is amazing, it seems to ease inflammation quickly.

Have you thought about having your first meal at lunch (i call it dinner) time? As that's when the stomach is at it's strongest.

Isn't that a sure way to an ulcer :unsure:

rubymoo
19-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Isn't that a sure way to an ulcer :unsure:

Why would she get an ulcer:conf:

When i said strongest, i didn't mean with acid, it just makes sense to eat a larger meal that requires digesting at lunchtime, as smoothies require very little digestion. (They're still digested, it's just the body doesn't have to work as hard to break it down as it's all liquid).

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/23/why-you-should-eat-breakfast-and-the-best-times-for-the-rest-of-the-days-meals/

http://consciousfood.co.uk/why-ayurveda-knows-healthy-digestion-is-key-and-how-to-improve-yours/
Of course it's up to Kizzy when she eats her meals, it was just a suggestion.

Cherie
19-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Why would she get an ulcer:conf:

When i said strongest, i didn't mean with acid, it just makes sense to eat a larger meal that requires digesting at lunchtime, as smoothies require very little digestion. (They're still digested, it's just the body doesn't have to work as hard to break it down as it's all liquid).

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/23/why-you-should-eat-breakfast-and-the-best-times-for-the-rest-of-the-days-meals/

http://consciousfood.co.uk/why-ayurveda-knows-healthy-digestion-is-key-and-how-to-improve-yours/
Of course it's up to Kizzy when she eats her meals, it was just a suggestion.

Oh when you said first meal I thought you meant skipping breakfast!

Kizzy
25-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Hi sorry Haven't posted in here since I added meals back in, I did it gradually and decided to stay gluten free 99% of the time my meals are plant based.
I panicked initially this week as I piled 7lb back on! then I found out that at any one time there is 7lbs of matter snaking though your colon ... so that cleared up that mystery haha!
I'm still feeling better and can honestly say it's the best thing I have done, I was fat, sick and felt I had one foot in the grave in all honesty, and now? I don't :D
I still haven't had my bloods done but just got my hepatologist appointment so I'd better get on it, will post the results before and after.
I love coconut water Ruby it's delish, thanks for the links too x

Vicky.
25-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Well for those who said it was my gallbladder..bravo.

Received result of my ultrasound today, gallstones, enlarged gallbladder too.

Much more worrying is the shadow on my liver that they found, so naturally I am ****ing ****ting myself now..they said in the letter it needs to be looked at and chances are it is benign...but come on. They can't say stuff like that and expect you not to worry. And I always think the worst anyway...

So...going out on the piss to commiserate my fecked liver/gallbladder.

Vicky.
25-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Oh, to add insult to injury...at the same time as receiving that news, I got a letter from ATOS telling me that their version of Lourdes has managed to cure me in a half hour visit. Apparently theres nothing the matter with me.

Kizzy
26-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm pleased you have a dx Vicky that's a start, there will be a distinct plan of action now at least :)
Best to stop the booze and find out what painkillers might not be so great for your liver. You'll be referred to a hepatologist, the shadow may just be a bit of scarring try not to worry ( silly thing to say I know) , you're young and the liver is a great re generator!
Juice some beetroot and get swigging, you can reapply for ESA with your differentiated diagnosis so don't let that get you down either xx

Vicky.
26-08-2015, 11:35 AM
I dont usually drink though xD I could understand if my lungs ****ed up or something but I drink maybe once every few months and even then its not much

Getting pissed last night helped me forget..not making a habit of it though...

Got appointment through for this other ultrasound so gunna try not to think about it too much until then :laugh:

Cherie
26-08-2015, 11:51 AM
I dont usually drink though xD I could understand if my lungs ****ed up or something but I drink maybe once every few months and even then its not much

Got appointment through for this other ultrasound so gunna try not to think about it too much until then :laugh:

Vicky I know it's easy to say but try not to worry x

rubymoo
27-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Well for those who said it was my gallbladder..bravo.

Received result of my ultrasound today, gallstones, enlarged gallbladder too.

Much more worrying is the shadow on my liver that they found, so naturally I am ****ing ****ting myself now..they said in the letter it needs to be looked at and chances are it is benign...but come on. They can't say stuff like that and expect you not to worry. And I always think the worst anyway...

So...going out on the piss to commiserate my fecked liver/gallbladder.

Sending you a:hug: Vicky

rubymoo
27-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Hi sorry Haven't posted in here since I added meals back in, I did it gradually and decided to stay gluten free 99% of the time my meals are plant based.
I panicked initially this week as I piled 7lb back on! then I found out that at any one time there is 7lbs of matter snaking though your colon ... so that cleared up that mystery haha!
I'm still feeling better and can honestly say it's the best thing I have done, I was fat, sick and felt I had one foot in the grave in all honesty, and now? I don't :D
I still haven't had my bloods done but just got my hepatologist appointment so I'd better get on it, will post the results before and after.
I love coconut water Ruby it's delish, thanks for the links too x

I'm glad you like the coconut water Kizzy, and i completely get how you felt! I'm so glad you feel much better, it will be interesting to see what your bloods say after your juice diet, i'm going to restart my healthy eating when the girls go back to school, as my stomach feels like it's annoyed with me:nono: it's so hard to keep to a gluten free/smoothie plan when on holiday!

Keep us posted:wavey:

Vanessa
27-08-2015, 08:37 AM

:hug:

Kizzy
12-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Well now the hol is over going to juice again. Still awaiting an appointment with the hepatologist, the CT showed scarring on the kidneys but that's it.

Kizzy
07-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Juicing again, started today ...starving :(
Will be ok by about day 4 roll on then!

Kizzy
17-01-2016, 06:15 PM
10 days in, oof going really slow this time :/

rubymoo
18-01-2016, 06:54 AM
You're so brave Kizzy doing a juice fast in the winter, was the ct scan of your kidneys good/bad news?

I've got to try and eat healthier but it's so hard in the cold months :(

I'm going to start exercising, so will try to find a kickboxing vid on youtube.

I'll start juicing again in spring, keep posting your progress as i love reading how you're getting on xxx

Kizzy
18-01-2016, 09:18 PM
You're so brave Kizzy doing a juice fast in the winter, was the ct scan of your kidneys good/bad news?

I've got to try and eat healthier but it's so hard in the cold months :(

I'm going to start exercising, so will try to find a kickboxing vid on youtube.

I'll start juicing again in spring, keep posting your progress as i love reading how you're getting on xxx

Hi, haven't even bothered asking for my bloods haha need to make an appointment to see about 3 different people but I just can't be bothered, sick of being poked and prodded.
It showed scarring but they said it was old scarring so not to worry, so that's good :)
Yes it is harder, a lot harder actually. Got some peanut butter today so going to have some everyday for some dietary fat. Have you tried kettlebells? They're great for your core, I got one for a fiver from tk maxx and it's brill!
You have your head switched on waiting till spring, there's no way I'm going to last 8 weeks :laugh:

Kizzy
19-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Well finally went to get them, liver function has fallen steadily, from 89 in 2013 to 53 in the summer of last year, it currently is .....47! Really pleased :D it's meant to be under 40 but that's really good for me and it's still moving in the right direction :cheer2:

lostalex
20-01-2016, 11:51 AM
like white water rafting?

Kizzy
21-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Had a scrambled egg...And I'm not even sorry!!!

rubymoo
22-01-2016, 06:20 AM
Had a scrambled egg...And I'm not even sorry!!!

:laugh:

That's better than a chocolate bar! :laugh:

All the goodness that's in an egg:flutter:

Maybe try a weekend juice and 5 days on good winter food like soups and casseroles, that way you're getting nice warming healthy food, and detoxing at the weekend.

(I find all i want in winter is casseroles and stews, hot drinks and lots of sleep!)

And fantastic news about your liver function:hug:

Kizzy
23-01-2016, 12:32 PM
:laugh:

That's better than a chocolate bar! :laugh:

All the goodness that's in an egg:flutter:

Maybe try a weekend juice and 5 days on good winter food like soups and casseroles, that way you're getting nice warming healthy food, and detoxing at the weekend.

(I find all i want in winter is casseroles and stews, hot drinks and lots of sleep!)

And fantastic news about your liver function:hug:

Thankyou Ruby :) I've added an evening meal, feeling MUCH better! Yep winter and detox not recommended haha!