PDA

View Full Version : Are Olly and Caroline doing a good job?

zakman440
01-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Do you think that Olly and Caroline are doing a good job at presenting The X Factor? I've been seeing a lot of negativity on Twitter about them, but I think that they're doing a good job. Obviously replacing Dermot was always going to be tough and I don't think that they're quite in the same league as him yet, but I think that they're doing okay. They just need a little bit more time to fit into the role.

Smithy
01-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Olly is honestly dire, Caroline should just do the job on her own

King Gizzard
They're proper woeful

Constantly shouting and talking over each other and don't have that natural presenting ability of Dermot

Drew.
They don't look anything like they did on the xtra factor. Its all too serious for them now and Olly looks nervous every time he speaks.

Pete.
01-11-2015, 08:16 PM
They were fine on Xtra Factor but its not the same

joeysteele
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Dermot is a very hard act to follow to be fair and with 2 of them neither can really have the chance to stamp out their presenting style to really make their own mark.

King Gizzard
Ollie looks like a contestant most of the time

Headie
Olly is honestly dire, Caroline should just do the job on her own

This. The only reason Caroline is even there is because Olly would not be able to handle it on his own.

Bring back Dermot tbh

Kate!
They are not. They are trying but there's no need for two of them it's pointless.

Id put them back on xtra factor because the two they have on there are trash.

Dermot is a tough act to follow. Olly would be better on his own though.

reece(:
01-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Khloe Kardashian and Mario Lopez teas?

Pete.
01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Khloe Kardashian and Mario Lopez teas?
Khloe was amazing though <3

Marsh.
01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
The only problem is that the main show is not a two person job. So, it's jarring having two presenters trying to share one script which ultimately leads to one taking the hosting role and the other being a spare part.

But, in terms of doing Dermot's job. He was nothing special. It's just reading numbers, saying the same thing every week, reading results. Don't think the show is affected by whoever's presenting.

Ninastar
01-11-2015, 08:20 PM
no they are cringey af

reece(:
Khloe was amazing though <3
In a Konnie Huq kind of way?

Lostie!
They're not terrible but there have been some little slip-ups here and there. Still, I like them.

joeysteele
01-11-2015, 08:21 PM
The only problem is that the main show is not a two person job. So, it's jarring having two presenters trying to share one script which ultimately leads to one taking the hosting role and the other being a spare part.

But, in terms of doing Dermot's job. He was nothing special. It's just reading numbers, saying the same thing every week, reading results. Don't think the show is affected by whoever's presenting.

Very good point as to the main show,I totally agree Marsh.

GiRTh
01-11-2015, 08:22 PM
They were very good for their first live show.

Jack_
01-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Well they're not doing a bad job but the whole thing feels very amateurish with them at the helm and I keep expecting Dermot to appear any moment, it's almost as if they're still Xtra hosts and he's off ill so they're filling in for the week.

It really doesn't help that the set looks so outdated and that it pretty much became Dermot's, so much so that the fact they're copying every walk and every camera angle he had looks really strange.

There were a lot of stumbling over words, awkward pauses, not turning to camera quick enough tonight all of which Dermot mastered. This is of course down to nerves and they can be forgiven for that but in all honesty I really miss his presence. X Factor became to him what Big Brother was to Davina, it was his show and it's weird to see anyone else presenting it. The dancing, his results delivery, the flawless ad libbing.

Olly and Caroline were amazing on Xtra and the best hosts that show had, the fact they can't repeat the same gags and chemistry on the main show takes away from their appeal.

EspeonBB
01-11-2015, 08:25 PM
In a Konnie Huq kind of way?

Bring Konnie back! :fan:

Ross.
01-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Totally agree, I just don't think it actually works with two hosts regardless of who it is.

It's different with Strictly because both Tess and Claudia have separate parts to do, whereas with Olly and Caroline they just stand together, one reading the autocue and the other standing like a spare part. :laugh:

Jack_
01-11-2015, 08:29 PM
One thing I'm glad they're not doing is that awful formula The Voice have where they split them up and have one of them on a 'backstage' role and the other on stage/doing the results solo without ever rotating :umm2:

They're a package so at least it's stayed that way

Denver
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
There no Dick in Dom

Braden
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
I noticed Caroline missing a few of her cues, she appears to be a little overwhelmed atm.

I don't have much of an opinion on Olly. I'd say he's doing a better job than Caroline, but he does sound very rehearsed.

LukeB
01-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Meh, they're okay but nothing special... but bring back Dermot

Marsh.
01-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Get rid of Rochelle and Marvin though. :umm2:

Cal.
01-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Olly looks nervous like all the time and Caroline's okay. I would rather Dermot though.

Cherie
01-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Well they're not doing a bad job but the whole thing feels very amateurish with them at the helm and I keep expecting Dermot to appear any moment, it's almost as if they're still Xtra hosts and he's off ill so they're filling in for the week.

It really doesn't help that the set looks so outdated and that it pretty much became Dermot's, so much so that the fact they're copying every walk and every camera angle he had looks really strange.

There were a lot of stumbling over words, awkward pauses, not turning to camera quick enough tonight all of which Dermot mastered. This is of course down to nerves and they can be forgiven for that but in all honesty I really miss his presence. X Factor became to him what Big Brother was to Davina, it was his show and it's weird to see anyone else presenting it. The dancing, his results delivery, the flawless ad libbing.

Olly and Caroline were amazing on Xtra and the best hosts that show had, the fact they can't repeat the same gags and chemistry on the main show takes away from their appeal.

Agree with all of this

Firewire
01-11-2015, 09:26 PM

I agree. I really liked them on Xtra but they aren't amazing on the main show, which Dermot was.

Princess
01-11-2015, 09:36 PM
I think people are giving them a harder time than they need to be giving them. I'm a huge Caroline and Olly fan and they are the only reason I'm even watching it so I'm clearly very bias.

You can tell they're nervous, I met Caroline on Wednesday and she was telling me how nervous they were and I mean fair dos, they're getting a load of hate. Dermot did it for 8 years, he had it down to a tee, they've only done a couple of live shows and they need some time.

I do think they're doing well, and I'm really proud of them but it's also really weird. They're not serious people, they were so good with Xtra Factor because they made it theirs and they can't do that as much with XF. They can't start having a flirt and a joke whilst kicking someone off the show.

Dermot was less attached, he would have found it easier. But both Caroline and Olly have been through reality shows, they know how hard it is and I think people leaving is going to affect them much more. To sum up a ramble, I think they're doing great but the reason they were better on Xtra was Xtra was more them, it was fun and now they don't get to have anywhere near as much of it.

Moosething
01-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Feels like im watching the xtra factor

Locke.
01-11-2015, 09:55 PM
They seem very emotionally invested in it (well, as emotionally invested as one can be in a singing competition) which is a nice change from Dermot, but they don't have the opportunity to show any personality like they did on Xtra Factor.

It really isn't important though. I don't really get complaining about the hosts or the voiceover, they make no difference at all to enjoyment of the show.

Samm
01-11-2015, 10:52 PM

It didn't feel like Dermot's show as the same way BB was Davina's show at all, Dermot was so dragged out and he became tired as a host for the show.

Marsh.
01-11-2015, 10:53 PM
It didn't feel like Dermot's show as the same why BB was Davina's show at all, Dermot was so dragged out and he became tired as a host for the show.

Yeah, he always felt like "the guy who replaced Kate Thornton" to me. No matter how long he was on it for.

He was brilliant on BBLB but I didn't "get" him on X Factor.

LaLaLand
01-11-2015, 11:20 PM
#WeWantKateThornton

rionablue
01-11-2015, 11:51 PM
I think Olly and Caroline are doing great ( I do prefer Dermot but they are a good replacement) However Rochelle and whatshisface are awful awful awful

reece(:
01-11-2015, 11:56 PM
#WeWantKateThornton
Yas!

zakman440
15-11-2015, 07:59 PM
So, erm... any thoughts on this after tonight?

Ashley.
15-11-2015, 08:01 PM
What's up with Caroline? She seemed out of it.