PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you watch LI?

TomC
16-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Just thought I'd ask :)

Ant.
16-06-2018, 10:29 AM
I never used to watch it under the illusion it wouldn't interest me. The concept of a showmance (bar a select few) having 2 minutes of screentime on BB scared me, so why would I be interested in a TV show about romances/showmances?
I only really started hearing about Love Island last year, but with exams (and the fact I was already watching soaps and BBUK), I didnt really have the time to spend an hour a night trying something I dont enjoy when I could've been studying, and I simply can't binge reality TV, so catching up after my exams wasn't an option :laugh:

That said, with no exams or BBUK right now, I decided to try Love Island this year. And while part of me prefers BBUK (mainly for how more frequent tasks can be) I do find myself getting invested in Love Island.

So TL;DR I was too busy to see if my presumptions about the show were correct until this year

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
16-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Showmances are my least favourite aspect of BB so why would i watch a show entirely dedicated to showmances

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b88ee88e08b82141869dac81bc814c2c/tenor.gif?itemid=7589161

Withano
16-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Cast isn’t at all diverse. And if you’re gonna have ten very similar personalities in a room, it better be a interesting personality. And it is not.

Nicky91
16-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Showmances are my least favourite aspect of BB so why would i watch a show entirely dedicated to showmances

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b88ee88e08b82141869dac81bc814c2c/tenor.gif?itemid=7589161

i am shocked, i thought you would like showmances :omgno:

Rob!
16-06-2018, 10:55 AM

This basically

Rob!
16-06-2018, 10:55 AM
i am shocked, i thought you would like showmances :omgno:

You clearly know zero about Scott then luv

Nicky91
16-06-2018, 10:59 AM
You clearly know zero about Scott then luv

:nono: i do know Scott, about his neverending beautiful love towards Rose McGowan :hee:

Daniel.
16-06-2018, 11:01 AM
I gave it a go this year anf it’s addictive but not as good as people make out and bar Eyal and Alex the guys have the same personalities.

I wouldn’t recommend!

Ashley.
16-06-2018, 11:06 AM
I caught up on the first couple of episodes, as I've never seen it before and wanted to see what all the fuss was about... it didn't interest me in the slightest.

Greg!
16-06-2018, 11:10 AM
I didn't watch it before because I thought it would be boring and the cast was too samey and straight. But I watched some of it last year and it wasn't that bad, ive got lowkey addicted to it this year but I would like them to have a more diverse cast in future including some gays, it's shocking that they don't in this day and age. (And don't come at me like "the format doesn't work like that" I don't care, change the format then)

Eddie.
16-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Most of the Islanders are only looking for a free vacation, plus the casts aren’t diverse and if you don’t have a good body, then you are not in...

Which makes it trash.

Lostie!
16-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Because it looks like everything I hate about Big Brother rolled together

RileyH
16-06-2018, 11:50 AM
if you don’t have a good body, then you are not in...

How is Jack in there right now then

Smithy
16-06-2018, 11:52 AM
I just despise it, it’s a vapid hollow excuse of a TV show, it puts all these complete nobodies on pedestals that young people around the country look up to and aspire to be like, thinking as long as they’re good looking they can make it in life people come out of this show, thick as pig **** with no talent at all and they’re set for life. And ontop of that it perpetuates the idea that only body types like that are attractive. It’s basically IG if it was a tv show. It’s awful

Alf
16-06-2018, 11:53 AM
I watch the odd episode just so that I can slag it off. That makes me happy.

DouglasS
16-06-2018, 11:56 AM
People take hating it too seriously. It's not some political show, get over it - it's light entertainment and harmless.

y.winter
16-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Haven't watched a single episode but just from reading and seeing the pictures I know it's not my cup of tea.
Full length superficial showmances with a Barbie and Ken clones - it's like encapsulating everything that I don't like in BB.
It sounds like it's well edited and produced better, but still the content is not thing.
Plus, there are better shows that I'd rather watch.

Jordan.
16-06-2018, 12:03 PM
I honestly couldn't think of anything more mind numbingly boring to watch than a group of shallow, vapid morons who have nothing of interest to say or add to the world other than their appearance trying to cop off with each other for a bit of fame.

Ant.
16-06-2018, 12:12 PM
I didn't watch it before because I thought it would be boring and the cast was too samey and straight. But I watched some of it last year and it wasn't that bad, ive got lowkey addicted to it this year but I would like them to have a more diverse cast in future including some gays, it's shocking that they don't in this day and age. (And don't come at me like "the format doesn't work like that" I don't care, change the format then)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5254431/Love-Island-bosses-poised-include-gay-couples.html
:( (ik you said about changing the format but given that the bosses won't change the format then... yeah)

LukeB
16-06-2018, 12:15 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5254431/Love-Island-bosses-poised-include-gay-couples.html
:( (ik you said about changing the format but given that the bosses won't change the format then... yeah)

Bisexuals only?
y9MxkBTs2PY

Kazanne
16-06-2018, 12:18 PM
A lot of people are embarrassed to say they watch it as it is a show that people take the pee out of,a bit like BB in the latter years, I have never watched it but thought I would give it a go this year,must say I don't get the hype,it's ok but not brilliant TV,very shallow and vacuous really.Might be better if the contestants were more varied in ages,colours and sizes.

hijaxers
16-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Because it looks like everything I hate about Big Brother rolled together

Oh how right you are, absolutely no interest at all in LI.

Shaun
16-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Because whatever clips of it I've seen have just been celebrating and guffawing at dumb quotes and vapid statements. I thought we moved past that when Brian Belo won, but I guess it's why Celebrity Juice is still on air. The bar for "dumbness" is forever being lowered.

Wizard.
16-06-2018, 01:35 PM
I never thought I’d be interested, but then I was hearing about the drama so I am interested, but now there’s too many episodes to catch up on.

reece(:
16-06-2018, 01:40 PM
I just despise it, it’s a vapid hollow excuse of a TV show, it puts all these complete nobodies on pedestals that young people around the country look up to and aspire to be like, thinking as long as they’re good looking they can make it in life people come out of this show, thick as pig **** with no talent at all and they’re set for life. And ontop of that it perpetuates the idea that only body types like that are attractive. It’s basically IG if it was a tv show. It’s awful

:clap1::clap1: Justice for the curvy chicks.

It's shallow nonsense,no depth and lacks the sort of gritty storylines BB has, is full of stereotypical mactors that don't have any special qualities about them.

The nation must be bored of other programmes on at the moment for this to be ratings gold.

armand.kay
16-06-2018, 02:05 PM

It's shallow nonsense,no depth and lacks the sort of gritty storylines BB has, is full of stereotypical mactors that don't have any special qualities about them.

The nation must be bored of other programmes on at the moment for this to be ratings gold.

Most of reality tv is shallow, whats the difference between Love island and Geordie Shore or ex on the beach?

Not everything has to be deep sometimes people just wanna watch something cheesy and lighthearted and thats what Love Island has brought to the table. Clearly in these trying times its just what the public needed.

https://uploadir.com/u/gxazu5x8

Denver
16-06-2018, 02:17 PM
I only watch for Alex

armand.kay
16-06-2018, 02:29 PM
I just find it funny that people are taking a moral high ground on taste and intellect on a big brother forum. The criticism love island is getting in here is alarmingly similar to what big brother was getting in its heyday

JerseyWins
16-06-2018, 02:34 PM
It's just unnatural. I'd MUCH rather see one or a few showmances on a show like Big Brother mixed in with a bunch of other stuff in the storyline than just a complete (and totally fake & vapid) lovefest. And it's literally a schoolyard draft to decide couples :skull:

I honestly don't blame people for liking it as I can see it being like a cheap way for a bit of entertainment but not for me. :idc:

JerseyWins
16-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Short answer: It was boring in the little bit I watched but maybe it's better if/when there's arguments & blowups for some cheap entertainment.

(I don't even know exactly what I mean by "cheap" entertainment but it feels right)

TomC
16-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Most of reality tv is shallow, whats the difference between Love island and Geordie Shore or ex on the beach?

Not everything has to be deep sometimes people just wanna watch something cheesy and lighthearted and thats what Love Island has brought to the table. Clearly in these trying times its just what the public needed.

https://uploadir.com/u/gxazu5x8
:clap1:

TomC
16-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Not BB's gritty storylines

LI shaken by Natalie and Jayne's feud?

kirklancaster
16-06-2018, 02:52 PM
I caught up on the first couple of episodes, as I've never seen it before and wanted to see what all the fuss was about... it didn't interest me in the slightest.

:laugh: I gave it a try but same here Ash.

Black Dagger
16-06-2018, 02:59 PM

Tbh

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
16-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Because whatever clips of it I've seen have just been celebrating and guffawing at dumb quotes and vapid statements. I thought we moved past that when Brian Belo won, but I guess it's why Celebrity Juice is still on air. The bar for "dumbness" is forever being lowered.

Was just channel flicking and stopped on itv2 as some bitch is sat there saying “wales is a city... like a continent”

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4pTsh45Dg7jnDM6Q/giphy.gif

montblanc
16-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Because whatever clips of it I've seen have just been celebrating and guffawing at dumb quotes and vapid statements

ugh it's so annoying

Ant.
16-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Bisexuals only?
y9MxkBTs2PY

This will be Jack and Alex next week!

TomC
16-06-2018, 10:34 PM
The thing about it being 'inane' that I don't get is that...BB simply isn't a televisual beacon of intellectual content?