ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Goldsmiths SU Diversity Officer Bahar Mustafa Could Lose Job Over '#KillAllWhiteMen' (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277630)

kirklancaster 20-05-2015 08:38 AM

Goldsmiths SU Diversity Officer Bahar Mustafa Could Lose Job Over '#KillAllWhiteMen'

Goldsmiths SU Diversity Officer Bahar Mustafa Could Lose Job Over '#KillAllWhiteMen' Tweet

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2966334/im...Y-large570.jpg

The Goldsmiths diversity officer embroiled in a racism row could lose her job after allegedly tweeting with the hashtag "kill all white men".

Bahar Mustafa, the university union's welfare and diversity officer, caught the media's attention after telling white people and men not to come to an event about diversifying the curriculum.

She then defended her position on camera, saying ethnic minority women cannot be racist as they "do not stand to gain" from inequality.

Students have started a petition to have her removed from her job, while a public change.org petition calling for the same thing has racked up 1,500 votes.

"The current welfare and diversity officer has used hate speech based on race and gender," the union petition, which closes on May 26, reads.

"For example, the consistent use of hashtags such as #killallwhitemen and #misandry, and publicly calling someone 'white trash' under the official GSU Welfare and Diversity Officer Twitter account."

The twitter account has since been shut down.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-10259801.html

Ninastar 20-05-2015 09:34 AM

she looks like the type of person to hate straight white men tbh

jennyjuniper 20-05-2015 09:44 AM

Never mind 'could' lose her job, she definately SHOULD lose her job.

smudgie 20-05-2015 09:57 AM

Sack the beggar.

Cherie 20-05-2015 10:28 AM

Diversity officer :laugh3:

arista 20-05-2015 10:46 AM

[after allegedly tweeting with the hashtag "kill all white men".]

Did she type it or did someone else?

Scarlett. 20-05-2015 10:47 AM

Good, hatred of any race of gender is flat out stupid.

empire 20-05-2015 12:24 PM

deport this left wing marxist loony, this country spoils the likes of her, and this is the payment she gives us, send her to the place were women are treated like dirt, and she will beg to be back here, just like them idiots who go to war torn countries and think being a bride to terrorists, makes life great,

Kizzy 20-05-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos (Post 7788347)
she looks like the type of person to hate straight white men tbh

What gave that away.. Her lipstick, her fringe?

MTVN 20-05-2015 12:33 PM

Trivial student politics, who cares really

Ninastar 20-05-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7788658)
What gave that away.. Her lipstick, her fringe?

the number of eyelashes she has

Kizzy 20-05-2015 01:07 PM

'But she added the uses of hashtags such as "kill all white men" on her personal account were "in-jokes and ways that many people in the queer feminist community express ourselves".

"It's a way of reclaiming the power from the trauma many of us experience as queers, women, people of colour, who are on the receiving end of racism, misogyny and homophobia daily," she added.'

What is a Queer feminist, is it the same as a man hater?
I can understand her personally feeling suppressed or oppressed even depressed at the plight of those marginalised in society, yet when you start to enter into the dialogue that any group needs to die even in jest when in a position of influence and responsibility for an organisation then it's time to step away.

empire 20-05-2015 05:56 PM

its time the students union should be dismantled, anti democracy in that union is rife, bahar mustafa is living proof that how out of touch they are in the world, they support her, they banned ukip from speaking because of there views, ukip students who are members, have been attacked by the union,

armand.kay 20-05-2015 09:26 PM

Does anyone in this thread actually bother researching things for themselves?? I'm not surprised at the ignorance tho because after all this is a forum where people have actually posted that black people are savage.

https://www.change.org/p/goldsmiths-...cer-goldsmiths

Read this.

As a diversity officer her job is to create safe spaces for marginalised groups and that's what she was doing. Find out what a safe space is and why some people feel it's important.

As for the hashtag it's wrong but it's purely coming from a place of frustration at being the victim of marginalisation and institutional racism. It's not because she's racist herself. People seem to care more about harassing this woman (she's had her address leaked, threats etc) over a hashtag that carries no real weight than actually dealing with the issue on hand, structural oppression, which is an actual problem in society unlike a little hashtag. Btw, where was the outrage when #KillAllMuslims was trending worldwide recently? People/the media seem to care more about demonising this woman than actually thinking about why minorities feel they need a safe space in the first place.

@Empire As a white man you haven't ever been structurally oppressed so don't tell marginalised groups to deal with it just because it's apparently worse everywhere else. And the fact that you think "the likes of her" (what a nice choice of words) are apparently "spoiled" just proves how totally out of touch you are with the reality Hun.

JoshBB 20-05-2015 09:35 PM

Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop, but inciting murder is definitely too far. I'm awaiting the responses of "what ur insane racism can happen to anyone", to which I already have a response. :)

Ninastar 20-05-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 7790546)
Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop, but inciting murder is definitely too far. I'm awaiting the responses of "what ur insane racism can happen to anyone", to which I already have a response. :)

Your opinion, of course :)

I agree about the murder part being too far though.

kirklancaster 20-05-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 7790546)

Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop - Are you fecking serious?

I don't now what world you live in Josh but it must be extremely small, sheltered, and located in a fool's paradise.

Try innocently walking through certain parts of Harehills and Chapeltown in Leeds on your own with your arm around your white girlfriend - you won't be rushing to write the unsolicited comments and threats you may receive into any picturesque Travel Guide of The UK, or be in any hurry to repeat the exercise.

Try carrying out the same exercise in the Oak Lane or Manningham or Little Horton in Bradford.

Then try it in the Pitsmoor and Attercliffe areas of Sheffield.

I won't mention areas in Leicester, Birmingham, London etc etc. where WHITE people have a major chance of encountering racism against them.

Your naivety is dangerous.

kirklancaster 20-05-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 7790447)
Does anyone in this thread actually bother researching things for themselves?? I'm not surprised at the ignorance tho because after all this is a forum where people have actually posted that black people are savage.

https://www.change.org/p/goldsmiths-...cer-goldsmiths

Read this.

As a diversity officer her job is to create safe spaces for marginalised groups and that's what she was doing. Find out what a safe space is and why some people feel it's important.

As for the hashtag it's wrong but it's purely coming from a place of frustration at being the victim of marginalisation and institutional racism. It's not because she's racist herself. People seem to care more about harassing this woman (she's had her address leaked, threats etc) over a hashtag that carries no real weight than actually dealing with the issue on hand, structural oppression, which is an actual problem in society unlike a little hashtag. Btw, where was the outrage when #KillAllMuslims was trending worldwide recently? People/the media seem to care more about demonising this woman than actually thinking about why minorities feel they need a safe space in the first place.

@Empire As a white man you haven't ever been structurally oppressed so don't tell marginalised groups to deal with it just because it's apparently worse everywhere else. And the fact that you think "the likes of her" (what a nice choice of words) are apparently "spoiled" just proves how totally out of touch you are with the reality Hun.

It was not possible to alight upon this article/petition which you link because at the time of first reading the main story, the petition did not exist - it came after the event and backlash.

And this; 'Goldsmiths Solidarity' Armand - is it an 'official' body of the University? Or merely friends of Ms Bahar Mustafa rallying to her rescue?

I do not condone any racism of any type but when it issues from the mouth of ANY official of one of our universities then it it's unacceptability is compounded.

She has no place being employed in any official capacity in one of our universities and there is NO mitigation for her comments whether she was 'jesting' or not - which I personally doubt.

I can imagine the hullaballoo had it been a white 'Diversity Officer' who had publicly proclaimed; 'Kill Coloured men' or similar.

Two things have to be borne in mind here;

A) Whilst being completely aware of her position, she freely ELECTED to write what she did and use the terminology she did .

B) Over the past 50 years, a lot of our universities have become increasingly politicised and radical, and have been guilty of inviting Muslim hate Preachers and other anti-Western, anti-Democratic hate mongers to preach from their lecterns, whilst - as Empire correctly points out - publicly denying UKIP the same opportunity.

Racism exists and should not be tolerated, but it IS a sword that swings both ways.

Ninastar 20-05-2015 10:21 PM

I remember being in school in America and I was told by some kids that I wasn't cool because I was 'white', these kids also told me I couldn't sit on their table and one girl thought it was great to tell me how ugly I was everyday. I hated my class for ages and I didnt tell my parents for a long time, but when they found out, they told the teacher and the teacher said that there wasn't much they could do.

If it had been the other way around, I'd have been excluded/expelled.

I hate racism more than anything, but I also think that to say racism of X colour doesn't exist is just plain stupid. Yes, white people haven't suffered a fraction of what a lot of other people have, but that doesn't mean that people now can't be racist to white people.

I make fun of/joke about people of every colour/sexuality/gender/whatever, but when someone is truly awful about anyone, it really pisses me off.

Kizzy 04-11-2015 10:39 AM

'Bahar Mustafa, the Goldsmiths student diversity officer who was due to appear in court after allegedly tweeting the hashtag #killallwhitemen, has had charges against her dropped.

The 28-year-old from Edmonton, north-east London, was to appear at Bromley magistrates court on Thursday charged with sending a communication conveying a threatening message and with sending a grossly offensive message via a public communication network.'

“I, as an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describe structures of privilege based on race and gender,”

“It’s a shame this investigation took so long to conclude, but the police are working with laws that are no longer fit for purpose. These charges were brought under communications legislation that was written for fax machines, not social media. The law needs an urgent update.”

Personally I feel that in her position it was extremely dangerous for her to tweet this message and it's shocking she was not held accountable.
when threats are made via social media they are acted on, why not in this case?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...llwhitemen-row

Northern Monkey 04-11-2015 11:03 AM

She is a fecking racist **** full stop.She should be sacked.I've experienced racism in muslim areas where i was the minority.Anybody can be racist.People don't get a free pass just because they're brown.Again people get confused between institutional racism and just plain old racism.

Northern Monkey 04-11-2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirklancaster (Post 7790794)
Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop - Are you fecking serious?

I don't now what world you live in Josh but it must be extremely small, sheltered, and located in a fool's paradise.

Try innocently walking through certain parts of Harehills and Chapeltown in Leeds on your own with your arm around your white girlfriend - you won't be rushing to write the unsolicited comments and threats you may receive into any picturesque Travel Guide of The UK, or be in any hurry to repeat the exercise.

Try carrying out the same exercise in the Oak Lane or Manningham or Little Horton in Bradford.

Then try it in the Pitsmoor and Attercliffe areas of Sheffield.

I won't mention areas in Leicester, Birmingham, London etc etc. where WHITE people have a major chance of encountering racism against them.

Your naivety is dangerous.

Too right.I know some of these areas very well.

Livia 04-11-2015 11:06 AM

Finding myself agreeing with the Monkey again today, what's going on...?

Northern Monkey 04-11-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 8265983)
Finding myself agreeing with the Monkey again today, what's going on...?

Great minds...

Livia 04-11-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Monkey (Post 8265986)
Great minds...

Yeah, I'm going with that... rather than the "fools" thing.