Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-05-2015, 08:38 AM #1

Default Goldsmiths SU Diversity Officer Bahar Mustafa Could Lose Job Over '#KillAllWhiteMen'

Goldsmiths SU Diversity Officer Bahar Mustafa Could Lose Job Over '#KillAllWhiteMen' Tweet

The Goldsmiths diversity officer embroiled in a racism row could lose her job after allegedly tweeting with the hashtag "kill all white men".

Bahar Mustafa, the university union's welfare and diversity officer, caught the media's attention after telling white people and men not to come to an event about diversifying the curriculum.

She then defended her position on camera, saying ethnic minority women cannot be racist as they "do not stand to gain" from inequality.

Students have started a petition to have her removed from her job, while a public change.org petition calling for the same thing has racked up 1,500 votes.

"The current welfare and diversity officer has used hate speech based on race and gender," the union petition, which closes on May 26, reads.

"For example, the consistent use of hashtags such as #killallwhitemen and #misandry, and publicly calling someone 'white trash' under the official GSU Welfare and Diversity Officer Twitter account."

The twitter account has since been shut down.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-10259801.html
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:34 AM #2
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

she looks like the type of person to hate straight white men tbh
Old 20-05-2015, 09:44 AM #3

Never mind 'could' lose her job, she definately SHOULD lose her job.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:57 AM #4

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Sack the beggar.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 10:28 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Diversity officer
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 10:46 AM #6

[after allegedly tweeting with the hashtag "kill all white men".]

Did she type it or did someone else?

Last edited by arista; 20-05-2015 at 10:47 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 10:47 AM #7
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry

Good, hatred of any race of gender is flat out stupid.
Old 20-05-2015, 12:24 PM #8

deport this left wing marxist loony, this country spoils the likes of her, and this is the payment she gives us, send her to the place were women are treated like dirt, and she will beg to be back here, just like them idiots who go to war torn countries and think being a bride to terrorists, makes life great,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 12:28 PM #9
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
she looks like the type of person to hate straight white men tbh
What gave that away.. Her lipstick, her fringe?
Old 20-05-2015, 12:33 PM #10
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Trivial student politics, who cares really
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 12:51 PM #11
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
What gave that away.. Her lipstick, her fringe?
the number of eyelashes she has
Old 20-05-2015, 01:07 PM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'But she added the uses of hashtags such as "kill all white men" on her personal account were "in-jokes and ways that many people in the queer feminist community express ourselves".

"It's a way of reclaiming the power from the trauma many of us experience as queers, women, people of colour, who are on the receiving end of racism, misogyny and homophobia daily," she added.'

What is a Queer feminist, is it the same as a man hater?
I can understand her personally feeling suppressed or oppressed even depressed at the plight of those marginalised in society, yet when you start to enter into the dialogue that any group needs to die even in jest when in a position of influence and responsibility for an organisation then it's time to step away.
Old 20-05-2015, 05:56 PM #13

its time the students union should be dismantled, anti democracy in that union is rife, bahar mustafa is living proof that how out of touch they are in the world, they support her, they banned ukip from speaking because of there views, ukip students who are members, have been attacked by the union,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:26 PM #14
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

Does anyone in this thread actually bother researching things for themselves?? I'm not surprised at the ignorance tho because after all this is a forum where people have actually posted that black people are savage.

https://www.change.org/p/goldsmiths-...cer-goldsmiths

Read this.

As a diversity officer her job is to create safe spaces for marginalised groups and that's what she was doing. Find out what a safe space is and why some people feel it's important.

As for the hashtag it's wrong but it's purely coming from a place of frustration at being the victim of marginalisation and institutional racism. It's not because she's racist herself. People seem to care more about harassing this woman (she's had her address leaked, threats etc) over a hashtag that carries no real weight than actually dealing with the issue on hand, structural oppression, which is an actual problem in society unlike a little hashtag. Btw, where was the outrage when #KillAllMuslims was trending worldwide recently? People/the media seem to care more about demonising this woman than actually thinking about why minorities feel they need a safe space in the first place.

@Empire As a white man you haven't ever been structurally oppressed so don't tell marginalised groups to deal with it just because it's apparently worse everywhere else. And the fact that you think "the likes of her" (what a nice choice of words) are apparently "spoiled" just proves how totally out of touch you are with the reality Hun.

Last edited by armand.kay; 20-05-2015 at 09:27 PM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:35 PM #15
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop, but inciting murder is definitely too far. I'm awaiting the responses of "what ur insane racism can happen to anyone", to which I already have a response.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:46 PM #16
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop, but inciting murder is definitely too far. I'm awaiting the responses of "what ur insane racism can happen to anyone", to which I already have a response.
Your opinion, of course

I agree about the murder part being too far though.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:59 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop - Are you fecking serious?

I don't now what world you live in Josh but it must be extremely small, sheltered, and located in a fool's paradise.

Try innocently walking through certain parts of Harehills and Chapeltown in Leeds on your own with your arm around your white girlfriend - you won't be rushing to write the unsolicited comments and threats you may receive into any picturesque Travel Guide of The UK, or be in any hurry to repeat the exercise.

Try carrying out the same exercise in the Oak Lane or Manningham or Little Horton in Bradford.

Then try it in the Pitsmoor and Attercliffe areas of Sheffield.

I won't mention areas in Leicester, Birmingham, London etc etc. where WHITE people have a major chance of encountering racism against them.

Your naivety is dangerous.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 20-05-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:13 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
Does anyone in this thread actually bother researching things for themselves?? I'm not surprised at the ignorance tho because after all this is a forum where people have actually posted that black people are savage.

https://www.change.org/p/goldsmiths-...cer-goldsmiths

Read this.

As a diversity officer her job is to create safe spaces for marginalised groups and that's what she was doing. Find out what a safe space is and why some people feel it's important.

As for the hashtag it's wrong but it's purely coming from a place of frustration at being the victim of marginalisation and institutional racism. It's not because she's racist herself. People seem to care more about harassing this woman (she's had her address leaked, threats etc) over a hashtag that carries no real weight than actually dealing with the issue on hand, structural oppression, which is an actual problem in society unlike a little hashtag. Btw, where was the outrage when #KillAllMuslims was trending worldwide recently? People/the media seem to care more about demonising this woman than actually thinking about why minorities feel they need a safe space in the first place.

@Empire As a white man you haven't ever been structurally oppressed so don't tell marginalised groups to deal with it just because it's apparently worse everywhere else. And the fact that you think "the likes of her" (what a nice choice of words) are apparently "spoiled" just proves how totally out of touch you are with the reality Hun.
It was not possible to alight upon this article/petition which you link because at the time of first reading the main story, the petition did not exist - it came after the event and backlash.

And this; 'Goldsmiths Solidarity' Armand - is it an 'official' body of the University? Or merely friends of Ms Bahar Mustafa rallying to her rescue?

I do not condone any racism of any type but when it issues from the mouth of ANY official of one of our universities then it it's unacceptability is compounded.

She has no place being employed in any official capacity in one of our universities and there is NO mitigation for her comments whether she was 'jesting' or not - which I personally doubt.

I can imagine the hullaballoo had it been a white 'Diversity Officer' who had publicly proclaimed; 'Kill Coloured men' or similar.

Two things have to be borne in mind here;

A) Whilst being completely aware of her position, she freely ELECTED to write what she did and use the terminology she did .

B) Over the past 50 years, a lot of our universities have become increasingly politicised and radical, and have been guilty of inviting Muslim hate Preachers and other anti-Western, anti-Democratic hate mongers to preach from their lecterns, whilst - as Empire correctly points out - publicly denying UKIP the same opportunity.

Racism exists and should not be tolerated, but it IS a sword that swings both ways.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 20-05-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:21 PM #19
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

I remember being in school in America and I was told by some kids that I wasn't cool because I was 'white', these kids also told me I couldn't sit on their table and one girl thought it was great to tell me how ugly I was everyday. I hated my class for ages and I didnt tell my parents for a long time, but when they found out, they told the teacher and the teacher said that there wasn't much they could do.

If it had been the other way around, I'd have been excluded/expelled.

I hate racism more than anything, but I also think that to say racism of X colour doesn't exist is just plain stupid. Yes, white people haven't suffered a fraction of what a lot of other people have, but that doesn't mean that people now can't be racist to white people.

I make fun of/joke about people of every colour/sexuality/gender/whatever, but when someone is truly awful about anyone, it really pisses me off.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 AM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'Bahar Mustafa, the Goldsmiths student diversity officer who was due to appear in court after allegedly tweeting the hashtag #killallwhitemen, has had charges against her dropped.

The 28-year-old from Edmonton, north-east London, was to appear at Bromley magistrates court on Thursday charged with sending a communication conveying a threatening message and with sending a grossly offensive message via a public communication network.'

“I, as an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describe structures of privilege based on race and gender,”

“It’s a shame this investigation took so long to conclude, but the police are working with laws that are no longer fit for purpose. These charges were brought under communications legislation that was written for fax machines, not social media. The law needs an urgent update.”

Personally I feel that in her position it was extremely dangerous for her to tweet this message and it's shocking she was not held accountable.
when threats are made via social media they are acted on, why not in this case?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...llwhitemen-row
Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM #21

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

She is a fecking racist **** full stop.She should be sacked.I've experienced racism in muslim areas where i was the minority.Anybody can be racist.People don't get a free pass just because they're brown.Again people get confused between institutional racism and just plain old racism.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Racism doesn't exist towards white people full-stop - Are you fecking serious?

I don't now what world you live in Josh but it must be extremely small, sheltered, and located in a fool's paradise.

Try innocently walking through certain parts of Harehills and Chapeltown in Leeds on your own with your arm around your white girlfriend - you won't be rushing to write the unsolicited comments and threats you may receive into any picturesque Travel Guide of The UK, or be in any hurry to repeat the exercise.

Try carrying out the same exercise in the Oak Lane or Manningham or Little Horton in Bradford.

Then try it in the Pitsmoor and Attercliffe areas of Sheffield.

I won't mention areas in Leicester, Birmingham, London etc etc. where WHITE people have a major chance of encountering racism against them.

Your naivety is dangerous.
Too right.I know some of these areas very well.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM #23
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Finding myself agreeing with the Monkey again today, what's going on...?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:08 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Finding myself agreeing with the Monkey again today, what's going on...?
Great minds...
Old 04-11-2015, 12:09 PM #25
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Great minds...
Yeah, I'm going with that... rather than the "fools" thing.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
#killallwhitemen, bahar, diversity, goldsmiths, job, lose, mustafa, officer, su