ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Snowflake Millennial Alert: University of Manchester Students' Union bans clapping (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348671)

LeatherTrumpet 02-10-2018 04:15 PM

Snowflake Millennial Alert: University of Manchester Students' Union bans clapping

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/720x405/p06mrjd6.jpg

A student union has ditched clapping, whooping and cheering in favour of "jazz hands".

Reps at the University of Manchester voted to replace noisy appreciation with the British Sign Language (BSL) equivalent - a wave of both hands.

Union officer Sara Khan said traditional clapping can cause issues for students with autism, sensory issues or deafness.

Ms Khan, the union's liberation and access officer, (:spin:) who proposed the motion at a recent meeting said clapping can "discourage" some from attending democratic events.

So-called "jazz hands", she said, encouraged an "environment of respect".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-45717841

JoshBB 02-10-2018 04:16 PM

I honestly think this is so stupid.. there are SO many bigger issues, and I don't see evidence that people are even offended by clapping?? It seems like one/two people (nominally) have this specific trigger and it's been made out to be some huge thing that all autistic people are sensitive to it.. tf

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:17 PM

How is there anything wrong with that? Clapping can be overwhelming for a lot of people, especially on a large scale. I think it's good.

Livia 02-10-2018 04:17 PM

What the hell are these people going to do when they eventually get into work?

LeatherTrumpet 02-10-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10261944)
How is there anything wrong with that? Clapping can be overwhelming for a lot of people, especially on a large scale. I think it's good.

so we should ban it at football matches and concerts too?

weddings, awards ceremonies etc?

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:19 PM

Did any of you even read the post? Is it so horrible for many to make a small change in order to benefit the few who need it? Nobody misses out on anything.

JoshBB 02-10-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10261944)

Where??? who????

i'm all down for inclusivity but I strongly doubt there is a significant number of people who are genuinely offended/upset in any way by clapping

LeatherTrumpet 02-10-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10261946)
What the hell are these people going to do when they eventually get into work?

thankfully they are doing media studies sociology and history so there is little chance of that

Scarlett. 02-10-2018 04:19 PM

You do realise that millennials are people who reached adulthood in the early 21st Century? Not people who were born shortly before or actually in the 21st Century, they're Gen Z.

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10261949)
so we should ban it at football matches and concerts too?

weddings, awards ceremonies etc?

It's common for people to bring noise suppressing earmuffs to events like that because people are generally out of their minds and the speakers at concerts can be harmful to hearing. People who need them would feel out of place wearing earmuffs at university.

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia. (Post 10261954)
You do realise that millennials are people who reached adulthood in the early 21st Century? Not people who were born shortly before or actually in the 21st Century, they're Gen Z.

He prefers to ignore a lot of things. Though, I am a millennial and I support the move. :)

LeatherTrumpet 02-10-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

what do you think about the ban?

Oliver_W 02-10-2018 04:22 PM

Pathetic. A similar move was mocked to buggery back in like 2015.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10261956)
It's common for people to bring noise suppressing earmuffs to events like that because people are generally out of their minds and the speakers at concerts can be harmful to hearing. People who need them would feel out of place wearing earmuffs at university.

Whereas you see earmuffs all the time at concerts and sports events!

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 10261951)
Where??? who????

i'm all down for inclusivity but I strongly doubt there is a significant number of people who are genuinely offended/upset in any way by clapping

People with ASD, hearing impaired people, people who suffer from anxiety, the list goes on. Nobody is offended or upset by it, it physically makes them uncomfortable or even hurts them.

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10261963)
Pathetic. A similar move was mocked to buggery back in like 2015.

Whereas you see earmuffs all the time at concerts and sports events!

You've never seen someone wearing something like this at an event?
https://www.friendshipcircle.org/blo...s1-624x342.jpg

Scarlett. 02-10-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10261961)
what do you think about the ban?

I can see the logic behind it, but it just seems kind of silly, I mean, you can ban clapping in university sure, but it's gonna happen literally everywhere else anyway.

mxhunter 02-10-2018 04:25 PM

I sympathise with the blind students who can now neither see nor hear their peers' celebrations

Oliver_W 02-10-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10261966)
People with ASD, hearing impaired people, people who suffer from anxiety, the list goes on. Nobody is offended or upset by it, it physically makes them uncomfortable or even hurts them.

They're very welcome to take their earmuffs to whatever event they like. In their shoes I'd feel worse if I made the university accommodate such things than if I sorted it for myself.

LeatherTrumpet 02-10-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10261972)

yes on children like him that should not be there in the first place

:skull:

Oliver_W 02-10-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10261972)

Sure, but they're not a hugely common sight among adults ... "adults"

Livia 02-10-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Unless you're a genius, you're at least 18 before you go to uni. And the people this is aimed at are people at university. So yes, they are millennials.

My question is, when they get out of uni and have to land in the real world, are they going to expect the whole of society to cease applauding in case two or three people are disturbed by it?

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10261977)
yes on children like him that should not be there in the first place

:skull:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10261979)
Sure, but they're not a hugely common sight among adults ... "adults"

Well I'm sure many people would feel welcome to wear ear protection at events with people like both of you around. :rolleyes:

JoshBB 02-10-2018 04:28 PM

Imagine if you forget & clap out of habit.. uni staff gonna come remove you from the venue?

https://materialworldsingapore.files...chingfire5.jpg

Jessica. 02-10-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10261981)
Unless you're a genius, you're at least 18 before you go to uni. And the people this is aimed at are people at university. So yes, they are millennials.

My question is, when they get out of uni and have to land in the real world, are they going to expect the whole of society to cease applauding in case two or three people are disturbed by it?

People born in 1998 are not Millennials either. Also plenty of 17 year olds go to university. :conf:

Scarlett. 02-10-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10261981)

A lot people see Gen Z as late 90s (such as 1997-????), meaning the oldest Gen Z people will be 21 now. Millennials are seen as 22-36, which is why its so ridiculous that we're still being called out for crap.