ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Male genital mutilation. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359368)

parmnion 18-07-2019 08:59 PM

Male genital mutilation.

Programme on about it at half ten bbc 1 tonight...

Ban it I say..

Kizzy 18-07-2019 09:06 PM

Circumcision? Urg horrible!

parmnion 18-07-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10631890)
Circumcision? Urg horrible!

Poor kids, don't even have a choice.

parmnion 18-07-2019 10:03 PM

Interesting.

It's in the original scriptures of the jewish religion that a child should be circumcised 8 days after birth..so I can see why that would be followed for generations to come.

But I didn't know it was practiced in other religions and is never mentioned in thier scriptures.

Livia 19-07-2019 11:27 AM

Everyone thinks of Jews when circumcision is mentioned but the majority of males in the USA are circumcised not for religious reasons. Also, Islam is the biggest enforcer of religious male circumcision even though it's not even mentioned in the Quran. Neither is female genital mutilation, and frankly I am far more concerned about the 200 million women in the world who, when they were little girls, have been held down, had their clitoris sliced off by someone who isn't a medical professional, it's usually a relative, using an unsterilized blade, sometimes a sharpened tin lid, then sewn up so they can only piss and bleed.

Vicky. 19-07-2019 11:29 AM

I disagree with this in all situations except for for medical reasons. Cutting pieces off babies because you think your God wants you too or whatever is just gross IMO.

Livia 19-07-2019 11:34 AM

I think having babies' ears pieced is grotesque.... people still do it.

Niamh. 19-07-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10632384)
I disagree with this in all situations except for for medical reasons. Cutting pieces off babies because you think your God wants you too or whatever is just gross IMO.

Agree although tbf Livia is right in that in the USA pretty much all baby boys have it done for "hygiene" reasons and aesthetics rather than religion. I've heard Americans say that being uncut is gross and dirty................no comprehending the concept of men just...........washing themselves though

Livia 19-07-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10632391)
Agree although tbf Livia is right in that in the USA pretty much all baby boys have it done for "hygiene" reasons and aesthetics rather than religion. I've heard Americans say that being uncut is gross and dirty................no comprehending the concept of men just...........washing themselves though

Niamh! Lovely to see you back, hope you had the best time x

Vicky. 19-07-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10632389)

I don't agree with that either. Why put holes in their ears?! I mean, if they ask for it later in life fine..but just doing it..nah.

Vicky. 19-07-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10632391)

:laugh: God forbid even a tiny bit of effort is put into anything, just cut bits off their dick instead!

Livia 19-07-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10632399)
:laugh: God forbid even a tiny bit of effort is put into anything, just cut bits off their dick instead!

LOL....

Niamh. 19-07-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10632389)

Yeah, that should be banned, horrible

Niamh. 19-07-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10632393)
Niamh! Lovely to see you back, hope you had the best time x

Twas very good thank you :love: How are you?

Livia 19-07-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10632404)
Twas very good thank you :love: How are you?

Disgustingly healthy thank you! Glad you had a good time, good to have you back x

Niamh. 19-07-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10632405)
Disgustingly healthy thank you! Glad you had a good time, good to have you back x

I have so much work to catch up on though, I shouldn't really be on here :hehe:

Twosugars 19-07-2019 12:00 PM

Why dont cut off their ears while they're at it? They get dirty too

Ridiculous superstition, should be banned

parmnion 19-07-2019 12:03 PM

One jewish mother refused to have her son snipped at 8 days...he is now grown up...but could he sue his mum for depriving him of being pure jewish (not sure what term to use)

Vicky. 19-07-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10632417)
One jewish mother refused to have her son snipped at 8 days...he is now grown up...but could he sue his mum for depriving him of being pure jewish (not sure what term to use)

I wouldn't think you could sue your parents for refusing to cut off pieces of your body. I would hope not anyway, mind some of the things that end up in court these days..you never know D:

He could always chose to get it done as an adult. That seems to be rare for some reason..hmm

Tom4784 19-07-2019 12:36 PM

I always found the idea of comparing circumcision to FGM to be grotesque. FGM can cause a woman problems for the rest of her life but circumcision does not, hell, circumcision makes things easier in terms of cleanliness and such. There's no real long term downsides to circumcision.

While the philosophical question is valid, I dislike calling it 'Male Genital mutilation' since it promotes false equivalency to FGM. Circumcision can not ruin a man's life like FGM can for a woman.

Withano 19-07-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twosugars (Post 10632416)
Why dont cut off their ears while they're at it? They get dirty too

Ridiculous superstition, should be banned

Shouldn’t be banned tbf. I know of 2 people who had theirs cut off cos it was “too tight when they were younger” (I didn’t ask follow-up questions lol)

Marsh. 19-07-2019 12:39 PM

Why take the wrapping paper off the gift before it's been given to the receiver to open?

Marsh. 19-07-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 10632433)
Shouldn’t be banned tbf. I know of 2 people who had theirs cut off cos it was “too tight when they were younger” (I didn’t ask follow-up questions lol)

Yeah, for actual reasons fair enough, just for the sake of it and it should be banned.

Vicky. 19-07-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10632432)
I always found the idea of comparing circumcision to FGM to be grotesque. FGM can cause a woman problems for the rest of her life but circumcision does not, hell, circumcision makes things easier in terms of cleanliness and such. There's no real long term downsides to circumcision.

While the philosophical question is valid, I dislike calling it 'Male Genital mutilation' since it promotes false equivalency to FGM. Circumcision can not ruin a man's life like FGM can for a woman.

I agree with this, and livias post upthread too. But did not want to 'what about' in a thread about male circumscision, given I complain about whatabouts everywhere else :hehe:

Yeah, 'MGM' is nothing like FGM. FGM is utterly utterly barbaric and cannot really be compared to circumscision. Mind, I do not think that parm was doing that. But I guess even terming it MGM is..comparing it in a way. As you said.

I do disagree to no downsides of circumscision though tbh. There might not be physical downsides, but I have read hundreds of accounts of blokes really pissed off and upset about their parents removing part of them without consent. So there are mental downsides it seems.

LeatherTrumpet 19-07-2019 12:45 PM

No need to do it

Don't do it