ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What classifies a low skilled job (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367100)

parmnion 11-05-2020 04:17 PM

What classifies a low skilled job

?

Cherie 11-05-2020 04:34 PM

Labourers, fruit pickers that kind of thing

MB. 11-05-2020 04:43 PM

There's no such thing as low-skilled jobs, just badly paid ones

Babayaro. 11-05-2020 04:48 PM

Being unable to do five keepy-ups

:idc:

Kazanne 11-05-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10839872)
Labourers, fruit pickers that kind of thing

Yes,I think its maybe jobs you don't have to train for and jobs anyone can do.

parmnion 11-05-2020 04:58 PM

taxi drivers as well seemingly, security guards as well.

Liam- 11-05-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 10839873)
There's no such thing as low-skilled jobs, just badly paid ones

All jobs require you to be skilled, otherwise you’d do a bad job and be fired, ‘low skilled job’ is just an invented classification to justify the most needy being paid the least possible amount

hijaxers 11-05-2020 05:11 PM

:clap1::clap1:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10839881)

All jobs require you to be skilled, otherwise you’d do a bad job and be fired, ‘low skilled job’ is just an invented classification to justify the most needy being paid the least possible amount

MB. 11-05-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10839876)
Yes,I think its maybe jobs you don't have to train for and jobs anyone can do.

According to Priti Patel as of this February, the "low-skilled jobs" category includes paramedics, phlebotomists, physiotherapists and radiographers... pretty sure you're required to train for all four

parmnion 11-05-2020 05:21 PM

i cant copy link on this laptop cause im old, but check out the latest ONS figures on low skilled workers and covid.

Kizzy 11-05-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10839879)

:fist:

caprimint 11-05-2020 06:33 PM

yep, it's really debatable. i even know kitchen porters who get like £11 an hour :skull:

caprimint 11-05-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

really??? i thought both of these were well paid, especially taxi drivers

parmnion 11-05-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caprimint (Post 10839923)
really??? i thought both of these were well paid, especially taxi drivers

yep, even taxi drivers.

Josy 11-05-2020 07:35 PM

It's an insulting term that shouldn't be used.

Most of these 'unskilled' workers are the ones that have kept this country running the past couple of months

Toy Soldier 11-05-2020 07:45 PM

Trying to determine the skill level of a job based on salary is absolutely ridiculous, I have no idea where the government got that idea from. I mean... it's really, really daft.

When I worked for t'bookies I had area/regional managers who were on higher salaries than newly qualified doctors/lawyers etc. and I swear some of these people are thick as two short planks. Like you could train any reasonably intelligent teen fresh out of school to do their job in under 6 months. They got the job by virtue of "being there a really long time". But going by income, they're more "skilled" than a junior doctor, or an experienced Band 6 nurse.

Some people with plenty of skill and education will have a starting salary of under £25k. Yes, it usually goes up relatively quickly but the point remains; for the first few years after training, most skilled staff's wages will fall in the "unskilled" category. Meanwhile actual slack-jawed yokels can easily get to around, say, the £40k mark through just determination and plugging away... no real skill required.

Cherie 11-05-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

What context are you talking about, is it the ONS report on those most affected by corona? I don’t think it’s skill, it’s down to how much social interaction they have in their job which gives them most contact with the virus

Babayaro. 11-05-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josy (Post 10839968)

Most of these 'unskilled' workers are the ones that have kept this country running the past couple of months

Hear, hear!

parmnion 11-05-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10839979)
What context are you talking about, is it the ONS report on those most affected by corona? I don’t think it’s skill, it’s down to how much social interaction they have in their job which gives them most contact with the virus

same...but the news is using it as a tool to bash the government cause they had a london cabbie on bemoaning and fear mongering the fact...i was like, you twat, sat there behind your glass as i sit in folks unwiped spittle.

Kizzy 11-05-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Thank you :, (

smudgie 11-05-2020 09:10 PM

In my day unskilled just meant none professional.
Pot washer, unskilled.
Chef/cook skilled.
Nothing demeaning meant by it.

hijaxers 11-05-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

How right you are there Josy ~ bloody hero's each and every one of them.

Marsh. 11-05-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10840026)
In my day unskilled just meant none professional.
Pot washer, unskilled.
Chef/cook skilled.
Nothing demeaning meant by it.

Yeah, this.
Low-skilled is the common term I always hear rather than unskilled.

There's just been a change in how those jobs are referred to in recent years, which is rather disparaging.

Kizzy 11-05-2020 09:21 PM

Deskilling is a tack used to justify underpaying.

Toy Soldier 11-05-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10840033)
Deskilling is a tack used to justify underpaying.

The thing is, it's not even good business. Using bookmakers as an example - cashiers are thought of by upper management as more or less "disposable", because if one leaves, there will be plenty of applications for a replacement and no formal qualifications are required beyond basic-ish numeracy... but from experience, it's an awful tactic, a fully trained and experienced cashier is invaluable. Faster, more efficient, and because they know what they're doing, it increases customer confidence. Sure if they leave they can be replaced - but having a n00b in that seat when an awkward customer has an awkward question or complaint can mean the difference between retaining or losing that customer. A customer frustrated with a clueless member of staff can walk out of the door never to be seen again, costing the company thousands, sometimes tens of thousands.

But the retail and service sector in this country simply refuses to increase pay based on skill or experience... it's a flat rate that goes up with promotion, and that's it. No wage negotiation, no annual increase, very rarely performance related bonuses. It's the ONE aspect of employment that the US at least does get right - it's very common for an experienced, skilled member of staff who has been with a company for years to be able to have a sit down with their line manager and ask for a raise, simply based on their experience level. Doesn't exist here. A staff member with 5 years experience is paid the same as someone on their first day, whist doing three times the work twice as fast. It's stupid. I will (I hope to god) never work retail again.