ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Come Dancing (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Strictly to make history with 2 same sex couples (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368345)

Denver 07-07-2020 12:41 AM

Strictly to make history with 2 same sex couples

the Sun are saying Strictly are close to finalising a same set female and male couple to avoid being predictable.

It will be the first time any show has had 2 same set couples.

I'm guessing a drag star is almost certain at this point?

Kate! 07-07-2020 12:44 AM

Ffs

Morgan. 07-07-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate! (Post 10875903)
Ffs

Problem?

Mystic Mock 07-07-2020 07:07 AM

I'm surprised that it's taken so long tbh.

Nicky91 07-07-2020 07:12 AM

amazing news :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

old-fashioned outdated BBC making progress into current modern times :flutter: :cheer2:

Nicky91 07-07-2020 07:48 AM

the ''male-female'' couple is outdated anyway,

here for Kylie Minogue being in a all female duo :fc: convert her to a lesbian queenie :dance2:

Liam- 07-07-2020 08:47 AM

Lmao they’re really trying to upset some people aren’t they :joker:

joeysteele 07-07-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 10875942)
I'm surprised that it's taken so long tbh.

Definitely, for me too Mock.

Jake. 07-07-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate! (Post 10875903)
Ffs

?

MB. 07-07-2020 11:25 AM

Kate obviously doesn't want anyone trying to convert her to a lesbian queenie, that's all

LeatherTrumpet 07-07-2020 12:25 PM

Iits had it's day this awful show

Nicky91 07-07-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10876041)
Iits had it's day this awful show

then don't post in it's subforum

LeatherTrumpet 07-07-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10876047)
then don't post in it's subforum

I can post a correct opinion. It's not a fan shrine.

Marsh. 07-07-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 10876020)
Kate obviously doesn't want anyone trying to convert her to a lesbian queenie, that's all

:joker:

crispyduck1234 08-07-2020 01:08 PM

I personally wouldn't have added same-sex couples to the show, for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what to think of this for a variety of reasons. Trying to word this as carefully as I can so that I don't unintentionally upset/offend anyone.

1) One of them will have to take 'the male' (leader) or the 'female' (follower) role- so perhaps the opposite sex couples could also occasionally do dances where the woman leads as well?

2) How would they do it on the launch show? if say, it's a male celebrity in the same sex couple, will they have that male line up with the girls while they're waiting to find out which male pro they have? Or will they stand with the boys who are waiting for their female pro, whilst there's also one male pro standing in the lineup, meaning it's much too easy to figure out which pro the celeb will get, as there's only one of the corresponding gender in the lineup (hopefully that makes sense).

3) It'll likely bring people's homophobia out MORE if the celeb in the same-sex couple(s) is/are gay- Strictly is primarily watched by a much older, more conservative audience who still have very outdated outlooks on things like homosexuality, so it is potentially a problematic move by the BBC- the couple in question will likely be bombarded by nasty homophobic comments each week. For clarification though, I don't think everyone against the idea of same-sex dancing couples on the show is homophobic, because who says the couple in question has to involve a gay individual? there could be a straight same-sex couple in the show too, so if most people just assume that the same sex couples will involve a homosexual contestant purely because both of them dancing are the same gender, aren't the people assuming technically the ones being homophobic?. Being 'opposed' (for want of a better word) to dancing couples who are same-sex doesn't mean that these people are opposed to same-sex romantic couples. Also, what about people within the LGBT community who don't want to see this change implemented? That's a demographic that just seems to be ignored by some people. though there are likely quite a few people who fall into said category. I, myself, am bisexual.

4) They might do a Dancing On Ice, and only add it in for the headlines, instead of it feeling organic- I personally don't think DOI's attempt worked, so I feel Strictly's attempt may potentially feel similar- if they do add in a same-sex couple, it has to be the right couple, they shouldn't just do it for the sake of it.

These are just my personal thoughts, and it's 100% OK if you don't agree with them, but this is just more detail on why I personally would keep it the way it is now.

Jarrod 08-07-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispyduck1234 (Post 10876679)
I personally wouldn't have added same-sex couples to the show, for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what to think of this for a variety of reasons. Trying to word this as carefully as I can so that I don't unintentionally upset/offend anyone.

1) One of them will have to take 'the male' (leader) or the 'female' (follower) role- so perhaps the opposite sex couples could also occasionally do dances where the woman leads as well?

2) How would they do it on the launch show? if say, it's a male celebrity in the same sex couple, will they have that male line up with the girls while they're waiting to find out which male pro they have? Or will they stand with the boys who are waiting for their female pro, whilst there's also one male pro standing in the lineup, meaning it's much too easy to figure out which pro the celeb will get, as there's only one of the corresponding gender in the lineup (hopefully that makes sense).

3) It'll likely bring people's homophobia out MORE if the celeb in the same-sex couple(s) is/are gay- Strictly is primarily watched by a much older, more conservative audience who still have very outdated outlooks on things like homosexuality, so it is potentially a problematic move by the BBC- the couple in question will likely be bombarded by nasty homophobic comments each week.

For clarification though, I don't think everyone against the idea of same-sex dancing couples on the show is homophobic, because who says the couple in question has to involve a gay individual? there could be a straight same-sex couple in the show too, so if most people just assume that the same sex couples will involve a homosexual contestant purely because both of them dancing are the same gender, aren't the people assuming technically the ones being homophobic?. Being 'opposed' (for want of a better word) to dancing couples who are same-sex doesn't mean that these people are opposed to same-sex romantic couples. Also, what about people within the LGBT community who don't want to see this change implemented? That's a demographic that just seems to be ignored by some people. though there are likely quite a few people who fall into said category. I, myself, am bisexual.

4) They might do a Dancing On Ice, and only add it in for the headlines, instead of it feeling organic- I personally don't think DOI's attempt worked, so I feel Strictly's attempt may potentially feel similar- if they do add in a same-sex couple, it has to be the right couple, they shouldn't just do it for the sake of it.

These are just my personal thoughts, and it's 100% OK if you don't agree with them, but this is just more detail on why I personally would keep it the way it is now.

I don't think you need to have a "male" and "female" lead/follow? That's a weird way to think about it. They can easily change any format of the launch show, something they'll probably have to do anyway considering the circumstances, so I wouldn't exactly think that's a problem.

We have to think that it's not about what's problematic for the BBC. They are a public service broadcaster, they are supposed to reflect the entire country and this is one of the more important steps. Representing LGBTQ+ individuals on mainstream shows like Strictly is exactly what they're expected to be doing now. It's important to develop, ITV did a same-sex couple in DOI, if they can put up with any complaints, I'm sure BBC can too.

Maxxie. 08-07-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod (Post 10876687)
I don't think you need to have a "male" and "female" lead/follow? That's a weird way to think about it. They can easily change any format of the launch show, something they'll probably have to do anyway considering the circumstances, so I wouldn't exactly think that's a problem.

We have to think that it's not about what's problematic for the BBC. They are a public service broadcaster, they are supposed to reflect the entire country and this is one of the more important steps. Representing LGBTQ+ individuals on mainstream shows like Strictly is exactly what they're expected to be doing now. It's important to develop, ITV did a same-sex couple in DOI, if they can put up with any complaints, I'm sure BBC can too.

That's how ballroom dancing works though. Yes there can be same sex couples but one would have to be the "man" or the "women".

I'd only be here for this if it were drag stars tbh, I don't see the point otherwise I think its being liberal for the sake of it.

Denver 08-07-2020 04:57 PM

The term female and male are outdated and there are many same sex dance acts out there

Maxxie. 09-07-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10876851)
The term female and male are outdated and there are many same sex dance acts out there

Jesus wept.

Cherie 09-07-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxie. (Post 10877356)
Jesus wept.

generic person 1 and generic person 2 maybe :laugh:

Liam- 09-07-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxie. (Post 10877356)
Jesus wept.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10877362)

generic person 1 and generic person 2 maybe :laugh:

I think he means in the context of dance, men or women don’t have to take the stereotypical rolls in a partnership

Niamh. 09-07-2020 03:05 PM

I think it would be pretty cool to mix things up a bit. I suppose thing like lifts etc might not be as easy though?

Cherie 09-07-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10877366)
I think it would be pretty cool to mix things up a bit. I suppose thing like lifts etc might not be as easy though?

It can’t be any worse than DOI which was a flop, I have H etched in my memory doing the same sit down move every time

UserSince2005 09-07-2020 03:16 PM

Hoping the pro dancers are straight and the gays turn them with their sexy dance moves.

Cherie 09-07-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10877364)
I think he means in the context of dance, men or women don’t have to take the stereotypical rolls in a partnership

Oh I see...I dont think its outdated though :shrug: if it were the show wouldn’t be such a success