Notices

Strictly Come Dancing Discuss the BBC's dancing show here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 02:41 AM   #1
Denver
I Cant Breathe
 
Denver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: HomeTown
Posts: 53,177

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
X Factor Celebrity: Hayley Hasselhoff
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage


Default Strictly to make history with 2 same sex couples

the Sun are saying Strictly are close to finalising a same set female and male couple to avoid being predictable.

It will be the first time any show has had 2 same set couples.

I'm guessing a drag star is almost certain at this point?
__________________

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
Kate!
IntoxiKATEd
 
Kate!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wigan baby yeah!
Posts: 22,931
Blog Entries: 4

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith
DOI 2020: Lisa George
IAC2019: Jacqueline Jossa
X Factor Celebrity: Max and Harvey


Default

Ffs
__________________


Spoiler:



Spoiler:

Kate! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
Morgan.
27/01/2020
 
Morgan.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 21,103

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Parvati


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate! View Post
Ffs
Problem?
Morgan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 45,002
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Nick
BBCanada 7: Maki
BB19: Hussain
DOI 2019: Saara Aalto


Default

I'm surprised that it's taken so long tbh.
__________________
Currently Watching/Reading/Playing - Angel, Beyblade, Berserk Manga
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Nicky91
SantaNicky
 
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 45,255
Blog Entries: 25

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
Strictly 2019: Emma Weymouth
Strictly 2018: Lauren Steadman
Apprentice 2018: Sian


Default

amazing news


old-fashioned outdated BBC making progress into current modern times
__________________
Strictly: Bill & Oti, JJ & Amy formerly: Jason & Luba, Caroline & Johannes

IAC: AJ/Russell/Victoria/Mo/Jess

TiBB on Ice 4 Participant: Nicky & Heather (10th Place)

TiBB Celebrity Karaoke Club: Winner

TiBB Music Festival 07: Runner-Up (Greece)

TiBB Does Apprentice 2020: Winner (alongside Jake)



#HypedforBigBrotherNL&BE2021
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Nicky91
SantaNicky
 
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 45,255
Blog Entries: 25

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
Strictly 2019: Emma Weymouth
Strictly 2018: Lauren Steadman
Apprentice 2018: Sian


Default

the ''male-female'' couple is outdated anyway,


here for Kylie Minogue being in a all female duo convert her to a lesbian queenie
__________________
Strictly: Bill & Oti, JJ & Amy formerly: Jason & Luba, Caroline & Johannes

IAC: AJ/Russell/Victoria/Mo/Jess

TiBB on Ice 4 Participant: Nicky & Heather (10th Place)

TiBB Celebrity Karaoke Club: Winner

TiBB Music Festival 07: Runner-Up (Greece)

TiBB Does Apprentice 2020: Winner (alongside Jake)



#HypedforBigBrotherNL&BE2021
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,204

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Lmao they’re really trying to upset some people aren’t they
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
joeysteele
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 34,335

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
Strictly 2018: Joe Sugg
CBB21: Shane Jenek
IAC2017: Jamie Lomas


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I'm surprised that it's taken so long tbh.
Definitely, for me too Mock.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Jake.
-
 
Jake.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35,151
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate! View Post
Ffs
?
Jake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
MB.
like the boys
 
MB.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 33,512

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele
Love Island 6: Shaughna
The Circle 2019: Georgina


Default

Kate obviously doesn't want anyone trying to convert her to a lesbian queenie, that's all
__________________


Spoiler:



MB. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
LeatherTrumpet
Member without Portfolio
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 69,523


Default

Iits had it's day this awful show
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #12
Nicky91
SantaNicky
 
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 45,255
Blog Entries: 25

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
Strictly 2019: Emma Weymouth
Strictly 2018: Lauren Steadman
Apprentice 2018: Sian


Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Iits had it's day this awful show
then don't post in it's subforum
__________________
Strictly: Bill & Oti, JJ & Amy formerly: Jason & Luba, Caroline & Johannes

IAC: AJ/Russell/Victoria/Mo/Jess

TiBB on Ice 4 Participant: Nicky & Heather (10th Place)

TiBB Celebrity Karaoke Club: Winner

TiBB Music Festival 07: Runner-Up (Greece)

TiBB Does Apprentice 2020: Winner (alongside Jake)



#HypedforBigBrotherNL&BE2021
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
LeatherTrumpet
Member without Portfolio
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 69,523


Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
then don't post in it's subforum
I can post a correct opinion. It's not a fan shrine.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
Marsh.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 78,092


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
Kate obviously doesn't want anyone trying to convert her to a lesbian queenie, that's all
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
crispyduck1234
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Default

I personally wouldn't have added same-sex couples to the show, for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what to think of this for a variety of reasons. Trying to word this as carefully as I can so that I don't unintentionally upset/offend anyone.

1) One of them will have to take 'the male' (leader) or the 'female' (follower) role- so perhaps the opposite sex couples could also occasionally do dances where the woman leads as well?

2) How would they do it on the launch show? if say, it's a male celebrity in the same sex couple, will they have that male line up with the girls while they're waiting to find out which male pro they have? Or will they stand with the boys who are waiting for their female pro, whilst there's also one male pro standing in the lineup, meaning it's much too easy to figure out which pro the celeb will get, as there's only one of the corresponding gender in the lineup (hopefully that makes sense).

3) It'll likely bring people's homophobia out MORE if the celeb in the same-sex couple(s) is/are gay- Strictly is primarily watched by a much older, more conservative audience who still have very outdated outlooks on things like homosexuality, so it is potentially a problematic move by the BBC- the couple in question will likely be bombarded by nasty homophobic comments each week. For clarification though, I don't think everyone against the idea of same-sex dancing couples on the show is homophobic, because who says the couple in question has to involve a gay individual? there could be a straight same-sex couple in the show too, so if most people just assume that the same sex couples will involve a homosexual contestant purely because both of them dancing are the same gender, aren't the people assuming technically the ones being homophobic?. Being 'opposed' (for want of a better word) to dancing couples who are same-sex doesn't mean that these people are opposed to same-sex romantic couples. Also, what about people within the LGBT community who don't want to see this change implemented? That's a demographic that just seems to be ignored by some people. though there are likely quite a few people who fall into said category. I, myself, am bisexual.

4) They might do a Dancing On Ice, and only add it in for the headlines, instead of it feeling organic- I personally don't think DOI's attempt worked, so I feel Strictly's attempt may potentially feel similar- if they do add in a same-sex couple, it has to be the right couple, they shouldn't just do it for the sake of it.

These are just my personal thoughts, and it's 100% OK if you don't agree with them, but this is just more detail on why I personally would keep it the way it is now.

Last edited by crispyduck1234; 08-07-2020 at 03:08 PM.
crispyduck1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
Jarrod
folklore
 
Jarrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,455
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BB18: Chanelle
CBB15: Katie Hopkins
BB15: Christopher
CBB 13: Ollie Locke


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyduck1234 View Post
I personally wouldn't have added same-sex couples to the show, for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what to think of this for a variety of reasons. Trying to word this as carefully as I can so that I don't unintentionally upset/offend anyone.

1) One of them will have to take 'the male' (leader) or the 'female' (follower) role- so perhaps the opposite sex couples could also occasionally do dances where the woman leads as well?

2) How would they do it on the launch show? if say, it's a male celebrity in the same sex couple, will they have that male line up with the girls while they're waiting to find out which male pro they have? Or will they stand with the boys who are waiting for their female pro, whilst there's also one male pro standing in the lineup, meaning it's much too easy to figure out which pro the celeb will get, as there's only one of the corresponding gender in the lineup (hopefully that makes sense).

3) It'll likely bring people's homophobia out MORE if the celeb in the same-sex couple(s) is/are gay- Strictly is primarily watched by a much older, more conservative audience who still have very outdated outlooks on things like homosexuality, so it is potentially a problematic move by the BBC- the couple in question will likely be bombarded by nasty homophobic comments each week.

For clarification though, I don't think everyone against the idea of same-sex dancing couples on the show is homophobic, because who says the couple in question has to involve a gay individual? there could be a straight same-sex couple in the show too, so if most people just assume that the same sex couples will involve a homosexual contestant purely because both of them dancing are the same gender, aren't the people assuming technically the ones being homophobic?. Being 'opposed' (for want of a better word) to dancing couples who are same-sex doesn't mean that these people are opposed to same-sex romantic couples. Also, what about people within the LGBT community who don't want to see this change implemented? That's a demographic that just seems to be ignored by some people. though there are likely quite a few people who fall into said category. I, myself, am bisexual.

4) They might do a Dancing On Ice, and only add it in for the headlines, instead of it feeling organic- I personally don't think DOI's attempt worked, so I feel Strictly's attempt may potentially feel similar- if they do add in a same-sex couple, it has to be the right couple, they shouldn't just do it for the sake of it.

These are just my personal thoughts, and it's 100% OK if you don't agree with them, but this is just more detail on why I personally would keep it the way it is now.

I don't think you need to have a "male" and "female" lead/follow? That's a weird way to think about it. They can easily change any format of the launch show, something they'll probably have to do anyway considering the circumstances, so I wouldn't exactly think that's a problem.

We have to think that it's not about what's problematic for the BBC. They are a public service broadcaster, they are supposed to reflect the entire country and this is one of the more important steps. Representing LGBTQ+ individuals on mainstream shows like Strictly is exactly what they're expected to be doing now. It's important to develop, ITV did a same-sex couple in DOI, if they can put up with any complaints, I'm sure BBC can too.
__________________
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
Maxxie.
Senior Member
 
Maxxie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,389
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Sophie
X Factor Celebrity: Victoria Ekanoye
Apprentice 2019: Thomas
The Circle 2019: Tim
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
I don't think you need to have a "male" and "female" lead/follow? That's a weird way to think about it. They can easily change any format of the launch show, something they'll probably have to do anyway considering the circumstances, so I wouldn't exactly think that's a problem.

We have to think that it's not about what's problematic for the BBC. They are a public service broadcaster, they are supposed to reflect the entire country and this is one of the more important steps. Representing LGBTQ+ individuals on mainstream shows like Strictly is exactly what they're expected to be doing now. It's important to develop, ITV did a same-sex couple in DOI, if they can put up with any complaints, I'm sure BBC can too.
That's how ballroom dancing works though. Yes there can be same sex couples but one would have to be the "man" or the "women".

I'd only be here for this if it were drag stars tbh, I don't see the point otherwise I think its being liberal for the sake of it.
Maxxie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #18
Denver
I Cant Breathe
 
Denver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: HomeTown
Posts: 53,177

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
X Factor Celebrity: Hayley Hasselhoff
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage


Default

The term female and male are outdated and there are many same sex dance acts out there
__________________

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #19
Maxxie.
Senior Member
 
Maxxie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,389
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Sophie
X Factor Celebrity: Victoria Ekanoye
Apprentice 2019: Thomas
The Circle 2019: Tim
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
The term female and male are outdated and there are many same sex dance acts out there
Jesus wept.
Maxxie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #20
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 46,594
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxie. View Post
Jesus wept.


generic person 1 and generic person 2 maybe
__________________
come back Fungie

Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #21
Liam-
Senior Member
 
Liam-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cardiff.
Posts: 20,204

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Deborah


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxie. View Post
Jesus wept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post


generic person 1 and generic person 2 maybe
I think he means in the context of dance, men or women donít have to take the stereotypical rolls in a partnership
__________________
Liam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #22
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 128,867

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

I think it would be pretty cool to mix things up a bit. I suppose thing like lifts etc might not be as easy though?
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #23
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 46,594
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I think it would be pretty cool to mix things up a bit. I suppose thing like lifts etc might not be as easy though?
It canít be any worse than DOI which was a flop, I have H etched in my memory doing the same sit down move every time
__________________
come back Fungie

Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #24
UserSince2005
User banned
 
UserSince2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,116

Favourites:
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
BB10: Noirin
Default

Hoping the pro dancers are straight and the gays turn them with their sexy dance moves.
__________________
-Working towards a friendlier TIBB
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #25
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 46,594
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I think he means in the context of dance, men or women donít have to take the stereotypical rolls in a partnership
Oh I see...I dont think its outdated though if it were the show wouldnít be such a success
__________________
come back Fungie

Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
couples, history, make, sex, strictly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:07 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts