ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   12 months ago today... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373042)

AnnieK 22-01-2021 07:26 AM

12 months ago today...

..Shaun started the first Coronavirus thread...

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...d.php?t=364573

Reading the first few pages is so weird. Its crazy to think all that has happened to the UK and the world in that time. So much of our normal lives have changed.

Scarlett. 22-01-2021 07:31 AM

I remember thinking that it would be similar to bird flu/swine flu and would ultimately lead to nothing, then the reports from how bad it was in Wuhan came, then the reports from Italy, when it hit Spain and France, the reality of what was coming towered over us all.

arista 22-01-2021 10:27 AM

Yes I posted that link
on my first page.

As well as my last one.

Its a Great Thread
as its like a race to Hell.

Vicky. 22-01-2021 11:01 AM

God..all the 'is the killer virus here' headlines, when it was even at that stage I think acknowledged that it had been in China for months. Of course it was bloody here. Fantasy to think it stayed in a massively populated..travel hub really...fr a few months, just incubaing among the general population instead of travellig at all!

Smithy 22-01-2021 11:02 AM

This is all Shauns fault :fist:

Smithy 22-01-2021 11:14 AM

Omg Annie your post

Quote:

It's worrying how much fear mongering is happening. Yes, its highly infectious and people have died but WHO figures show that between 200,000 -695,000 people die from the flu every year. The worry is it spreading to 3rd world countries where medical services are either unavailable or unable to cope.

It's frightening but I am sure in this country the impact will not be too severe.

The worry is if this is anything to do with possible chemical warfare testing.
:worry:

AnnieK 22-01-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10989384)
Omg Annie your post

:worry:

How bloody wrong I was. God, I wish I was right. I was thinking, as Scarlett mentioned earlier, how it would be like Swine flu, where people got it but it was sorted quickly with minimal impact for most people

Just another example of me not having a clue about anything :laugh:

Vicky. 22-01-2021 11:27 AM

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...postcount=1157

Weird seeing this. It turned out it WAS covid I had too. Fairly sure at that time, they were still claiming the first case in the UK was in mid March or something. I had an antibody test once people were able to (though had to pay 80 quid for it :fist: ) and I had antibodies at that time. Had not been ill inbetween either. The possibility is there that I 'got it' between my 'covid' and the test I guess but showed no symptoms..but it seems unlikely realy.

The 'covid' that hit our house, me and gav were literally bed bound, for 2 days. Was like flu, but..much more intense, but also shorter. 2 days, the proper bad symptoms were there, then they just kind of disappeared, leaving no smell/taste for a couple of weeks and a feling of tiredness but not enough to describe as 'really ill' at that stage. And leaving a long term cough in me, which I still have now.

We didn't antibody test the kids, as it was a blood test. However, I doubt it got us and didn't get them too, just its almost certain most kids get it but don't get ill..so that would add into it all too. Oddly, I did another antibody test a few months later out of curiousity more than anything, when the news started saying antibodies are really short term (a month, I think I read) and that, and 3/4 months on, I still had them apparently.

Niamh. 22-01-2021 11:53 AM

I bet none of us thought we'd be where we are now a year later

Scarlett. 22-01-2021 11:55 AM

It's hard to believe how I went from feeling confident and happy, and secure for the first time in my life to... where I am now, literally feels like everything just fell through in this past year. No one could have predicted this.

Shaun 22-01-2021 11:56 AM

whew, my impact

Niamh. 22-01-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10989413)
whew, my impact

It's all your fault :oh:

Shaun 22-01-2021 12:02 PM

i just wanted more people to wash their hands!

AnnieK 22-01-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10989417)
i just wanted more people to wash their hands!

I'm sure they are now. Can you stop the pandemic now please? :laugh:

Toy Soldier 22-01-2021 12:40 PM

My first COvid post :flutter:

Quote:

Dirty marketplaces my arse, Wuhan is home to the only level 4 biohazard facility in China. China is MASSIVE, and this virus happened to originate in Wuhan? What a weird coincidence.

Current reports are that there's "no indication" that this new SARS-like virus, originating in the only city in the country with a facility containing and studying SARS, which had warnings as far back as 2017 about the potential for viruses escaping the facility, has anything to do with the facility.
...still true let's face it :whistle:

Ammi 22-01-2021 12:45 PM

...I recall having a conversation with a member about it and saying ...oh it won’t really come to anything, nothing to worry about etc...just media hype...

Vicky. 22-01-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10989435)

Its a bit..suspicious for sure. Even now with the many many people telling us it was definitely a bat! Infact, the amount of people who were so desperate to get people t believe it was a random bat thing, makes me more suspicious :laugh:

Niamh. 22-01-2021 12:55 PM

I never bought that bat story

Mystic Mock 22-01-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10989361)
Yes I posted that link
on my first page.

As well as my last one.

Its a Great Thread
as its like a race to Hell.

Are we on a Highway To Hell?

Mystic Mock 22-01-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10989435)

A conspiracy theory that I definitely think is true.

Covid is way too intelligent for it to be a natural disease imo.

Captain.Remy 22-01-2021 01:47 PM

It started getting worrying when in France, people were put in quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks when they were flown back from Wuhan. I also work with a Chinese coworker who was in quarantine in one of those hotels and when I saw her on TV I realized it was serious.

Nicky91 22-01-2021 01:50 PM

all my corona jokes i made begin last year :worry:

Vicky. 22-01-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 10989464)
A conspiracy theory that I definitely think is true.

Covid is way too intelligent for it to be a natural disease imo.

Theres a few bits of the 'conspiracies' that I think potentially have some truth to them. Issue is, saying you find any aspect of it all...questionable...gets you written off as a 'covid denier'. Like, its obviously quite insane those who think its not a real thing at all and is all just governments (like, every country randomly decided to work together...for the first time ever and for..what reason?!) making it up BUT..I find that watching friends question aspects of lockdown for example, they get rounded on by people calling them deniers. Its..even more divisive than Brexit, I have found. and never thought any other topic would ever reach those levels of...split. But here we are.

A friend of mine who is a virologist said at the start that it was too..weird for a naturally occurring disease to be so..advanced. Like, with the spike proteins or something like that, I couldnt being to follow how she explained it at the time as not sciency myself, but she seemed adamant that something was up with it all. Was shouted down eventually, but she still thinks some parts of it are off somewhere like. Many scientists disagree with her mind, but she seemed to know what she was on about. Of course, she could have been talking utter ****e. Some qualified people say that the earth is flat I guess.

Tom4784 22-01-2021 03:06 PM

It's strange looking back, in the early days I thought it would be something we'd handle just fine, that it likely wouldn't spread too badly like all the other viral threats and outbreaks I've seen in my lifetime.

Then again, we knew very little at the time. Some sources were making it out to be apocalyptic, others were saying it wasn't much worse than the flu.

Tom4784 22-01-2021 03:08 PM

I don't really pay heed to any of the conspiracies tbh, they all lack a solid motive as to why a government, or a corporation or whomever would tank the world's economy and disrupt everything for over a year and counting.