ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Canada - a nurse is being investigated for liking JK Rowling (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376837)

Oliver_W 20-07-2021 12:37 PM

Canada - a nurse is being investigated for liking JK Rowling

Quote:

A Canadian nurse is under investigation by a health regulator after complaints were made about an "I [heart] J.K. Rowling" billboard she paid for.

https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/18495...79e23b70a7727f

Amy Hamm is being investigated by the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) following complaints that her view that identifying as trans does not equate to changing biological sex would threaten "trans and gender-diverse communities," according to Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (JCCF) lawyers representing the nurse.

But Hamm argues that none of her views would impact her ability to help her patients.

"Fighting for women's sex-based rights has no impact on my ability to provide care as a nurse. There is nothing hateful or transphobic about women's rights," Hamm wrote to Newsweek.

https://www.newsweek.com/nurse-being...people-1611017
When will women learn to sit down and shut up :fist:

Toy Soldier 20-07-2021 12:54 PM

Dunno if it's the same in Canada but in the UK the professional college (Royal College of Nursing or "RCN") is not the same thing as the professional governing body (The Nursing and Midwifery Council, or "NMC")...

Over here, the NMC is the one you have to worry about (they can suspend or completely strip the professional registration so you can't be a nurse at all any more i.e. "being struck off") and an RCN investigation is ... :shrug:. They could slap you on the wrist or kick you out of the RCN entirely but you don't need to be an RCN member to practice as a nurse... whilst it's by far the largest, there are other groups/unions. It has no REAL bearing on what jobs you can hold or apply for.

Oliver_W 20-07-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11075011)
Dunno if it's the same in Canada but in the UK the professional college (Royal College of Nursing or "RCN") is not the same thing as the professional governing body (The Nursing and Midwifery Council, or "NMC")...

Over here, the NMC is the one you have to worry about (they can suspend or completely strip the professional registration so you can't be a nurse at all any more i.e. "being struck off") and an RCN investigation is ... :shrug:. They could slap you on the wrist or kick you out of the RCN entirely but you don't need to be an RCN member to practice as a nurse... whilst it's by far the largest, there are other groups/unions. It has no REAL bearing on what jobs you can hold or apply for.

Oh yeah, Toy Soldieretta is a nurse, isn't she?

Regardless of how much weight the organisation investigating her carries, it's a bit ridiculous she's being dragged over the coals for something like this.

LeatherTrumpet 20-07-2021 01:06 PM

I would wager they are not "investigating" anything

They WILL be trying to see if the persons at the top will get the BLAME for this

its all lies and self-interest

Toy Soldier 20-07-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 11075023)
I would wager they are not "investigating" anything

They WILL be trying to see if the persons at the top will get the BLAME for this

its all lies and self-interest

Well yes they'll be trying to figure out whether it's more damaging to be seen to "let it slide", or be seen to "be heavy-handed"... and that's what they'll care about: the balance of what will sell better to their membership (if it is indeed an entity with voluntary membership).

Most likely middle-ground scenario is that they'll "ask" her not to do anything similar in future. Technically, medical professionals are supposed to keep personal politics out of their work, but on this occasion it's not clear that she in any way to her actual work or displayed it in a way that could cause reputational damage to the profession... and on the topic overall, it's a complicated one, as the trans rights debate actually does have direct professional implications for healthcare professionals so there does have to be some debate "allowed" even in a professional setting. That said, "I love JK" billboards wouldn't really fall under the heading of academic debate.

bitontheslide 20-07-2021 01:26 PM

canada is very progressive regarding trans rights etc, and this is a gigantic pop at that because of the uproar against jk rowling, so its aimed to create controversy, it's much bigger than jk rowling. It will certainly have pissed off a sizeable chunk of the population and it could be argued that interferes with her ability to do her job treating everyone fairly by their medical needs

Niamh. 20-07-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11075045)
canada is very progressive regarding trans rights etc, and this is a gigantic pop at that because of the uproar against jk rowling, so its aimed to create controversy, it's much bigger than jk rowling. It will certainly have pissed off a sizeable chunk of the population and it could be argued that interferes with her ability to do her job treating everyone fairly by their medical needs

Progressive for trans rights/regressive for women's, tamayto/tomato

bitontheslide 20-07-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11075049)

absolutely, you know what my views are, but a big sign like that was always going to stir things up. Personally, i think they should have stuck to the main issue rather than it being a veiled pop

Niamh. 20-07-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11075057)
absolutely, you know what my views are, but a big sign like that was always going to stir things up. Personally, i think they should have stuck to the main issue rather than it being a veiled pop

Yeah, I agree with that (unless she's just a massive Harry Potter fan or something :laugh: )

Toy Soldier 20-07-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11075057)

Yeah this is what I mean really, it is a very relevant, contentious and current issue in nursing but it's vital that the debate stays respectful and professional. "Invoking JK Rowling" is a clear dogwhistle and it's intended to rile up a fight rather than start a debate... which isn't productive for the actual healthcare issues that need hammering out (somehow).

arista 20-07-2021 01:40 PM

JK now getting Death Threats
again.

Toy Soldier 20-07-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 11075065)
JK now getting Death Threats
again.

I don't think it phases her at this point. Although that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

arista 20-07-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11075073)
I don't think it phases her at this point. Although that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

One Activist Lesbian
sent a tweet

"I You hope you find Pipe Bomb in your Mail"

Tom4784 20-07-2021 02:44 PM

Deleted Post

Toy Soldier 20-07-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 11075088)
Usually with these types of stories, there's more to why the person's being investigated but that doesn't get as many clicks.

Maybe but not necessarily, it's more that "being investigated" isn't as "omg" as people like to make out. If someone complains, then they have a duty to investigate, even if there's not much to the claim... it doesn't mean there's anything to investigate, but it's also not "super woke" for them to take the complaint seriously... any complaint should be looked into... then they'll discover if there's merit to the complaint or not. I feel like people think there's some sort of "lesser" stage that it's gone past to become an investigation.

Liam- 20-07-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11075049)

What an odd outlook

Toy Soldier 20-07-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 11075115)
What an odd outlook

Not as things currently stand, unfortunately.

Oliver_W 20-07-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 11075115)
What an odd outlook

How is it odd to think that being forced to give up women-only spaces and sports is regressive for women's rights?

Tom4784 20-07-2021 08:20 PM

Deleted Post

Tom4784 21-07-2021 01:24 PM

Deleted Post

Tom4784 21-07-2021 01:29 PM

Deleted Post

Nicky91 21-07-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot (Post 11075219)
White women complex: stir **** and create mess. Said mess gets expected backlash. Instead of taking accountability or taking it on the chin, get to crying, playing the victim, run to the papers

usually you have a lot of good posts on here

but this one, ew i wish you left the sexism and racism out

but the ''playing the victim'' part, lets wait what the outcome of that investigation is

parmnion 21-07-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot (Post 11075219)
White women complex: stir **** and create mess. Said mess gets expected backlash. Instead of taking accountability or taking it on the chin, get to crying, playing the victim, run to the papers

Fact this post remains shows the moderation bias on this forum

Absolutely disgusting.

parmnion 21-07-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11075239)
Sexism and racism, nice

Do your bloody job then.

Toy Soldier 21-07-2021 03:06 PM

Personally, -isms aside I have no idea how Elliot isn’t building up infractions simply for spamming/baiting because it’s constant in these threads. Come on in, huff out a stock hive-approved comment, disappear when challenged. Can we have some sort of rule against this Chat & Games shenanigans creeping into SD? I’m not saying this place is highbrow academic debate but can people who aren’t here for ANY sort of discussion not just **** off?