View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 01:59 PM #208
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Well the easiest way to solve this problem would be to provide those who can prove they can't afford a photo id (being on benefits perhaps) a free one. I don't see many objections. Then there can be no doubt.
I've already mentioned the issues with this in a previous post, so I'm just gonna quote that here to save time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
No.

Let's say this free voter ID card is a thing for people who don't have other forms of photo ID, how many hoops will a person have to jump through to get one? Because they won't send you one automatically because it's a photo ID, so a person with a Driver's Licence or a paid form of ID instantly has an advantage over someone who doesn't.

It's no different to the voter suppression taking place in Georgia where for future votes, they are banning giving people food or drink while they wait in line.... in Georgia weather... for potentially hours... That's designed to make it harder for people to vote, thus suppressing certain people from voting.

If you add restrictions or make voting harder for people to do in any way, that has the effect of voting suppression.

The problem is that people won't realistically get an automatic voter ID like they currently get a voting slip ahead of a vote. They'll have to likely pursue getting one when the current process is wholly automatic. You get a slip, you can take it with you, easy.

When you add extra restrictions to the right to vote, it won't increase votes, it'll just decrease votes from certain demographics and that is the intended affect here.
You can guarantee the process to get one of these free IDs won't be simple or quick, because the only reason to add extra barriers to voting like this one is to make it difficult for certain people to vote. No matter how you cut it, it's voter suppression and if we weren't such a spineless country, we would be up in arms about it but we just accept it, 'cus it's the tories. It's pathetic.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote