BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
yeah... can't see them shutting down the centre of London like they shut down the centre of Paris. And anyway, the Paris and Oslo actions were spontaneous, not organised by a promotions company complete with a statement photograph for the campaign.
Do you not think there would be such a demonstration in London if we witnessed the couple of days that Paris did though? I know we've had terror attacks before as well (which in Lee Rigby's case at least did prompt some demonstrations from the Muslim community against the killers: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-w...ng-islam-wrong) but I think the way that most the world is now uniting against Islamic extremism has meant that opposition to it is now mobilising in greater numbers. It could be that there's a greater appreciation of the problem now, a lot of the backlash to increased extremism originally manifested itself in some uncomfortable ways in this country with the rise of the EDL which made it difficult to rally widespread public opposition. In fairess the founder of the EDL did realise that hence his splitting from the movement and now works with the Quilliam foundation alongside Muslims.

I don't think that Muslims in the UK are less opposed to extremism than they are in France. If anything France has a greater problem with there being a large gulf between a lot of the Muslim community and the rest of France, a lot of them feeling marginalised and disillusioned by French society.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote