Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:06 AM #1

Default Sky, Itv2, Ch5 would kill for 2 million regular viewers but could they do it justice?

2 million viewers outside of the four main terrestrial channels would be a ratings smash, but how good would their version of BB be should anyone decide to take it on after BB11?

The one thing Channel 4 has in its defence is that no other channel could or would invest as much money in the BB format as they have.
ebuzz1000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 02:18 AM #2
Hello

Hello

flemin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 02:23 AM #3
V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

What utter ****ing bullshit!

If C4 were going to spend that much money on BB then we wouldnt be having this discussion and the contract would be signed for another 3 years and the Live Feed would still be here, we would have a brilliant house and 5 million viewers...

But we dont!

Which just proves Channel 4 didnt put enough into BB!

Give it to a Channel that would care for it, and to the person who said...

"2 Million wouldnt follow BB To a new channel look at CH.."

Thats because CH Was the shittest thing ever and it came after the shittest series ever...

Its not as if 2 million people have to get up and walk to the new studios with BB... all they have to do is get a remote and press 3 buttons
Patrick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 02:29 AM #4

How is it bull****? Name me one channel that would have the resources to pull off BB, it aint a cheap show to produce.

And the live feed being axed didnt get the show cancelled, the live feed only preached to the converted (and I wanted live feed back).

Im not kissing Ch4's ar*se in anyway shape or form, they made the monster then they destroyed it, Ive got nothin but contempt for Ch4, but give me an alternative other than burying it for good.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:21 AM #5
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:
X Factor 2010: Matt Cardle

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:
X Factor 2010: Matt Cardle

The only TV network that could afford to run BB in the way it should be run is SKY imo, and they have already said today that they have no interest in BB.

I really can't see any other channel picking it up tbh.

Sky, Ch5 (who don't have the money anyway), BBC, none of them will touch it with a bargepole.

I'm so pissed at Ch4 for running a good show into the ground.
MissKittyFantastico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 03:25 AM #6

Agree, Sky might justa been able to pull it off, but theyre not interested, but I also think Sky would be too afraid to be controversial, the HL show would be edited to hell. Ch4 at least (used) to go out of their to be confrontational.

And Ch5? 2 words: The Farm
Old 27-08-2009, 03:31 AM #7
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Look, I dont want to stub your dreams out, but 2010 is going to be the end of Big Brother

the BBC dont want it, ITV dont want it, Channel 4 dont want it, and Channel 5 dont really have the budget, Sky dont want it either.

Big Brother needs a massive budget, each year, theres all the below to consider;

Renovating the house
Electrics
Water
Cameramen working 24/7 for 3 months a year
Editors editing everyday
Lighting for evictions
Live broadcast rights
The house must be constantly stocked up with food (even if the HM's dont have it)
Pyschologists will have to monitor the housemates
Then theres the talent (Davina ect.)
Then there is 3 different studios to be built each year
The there is the PRS licensing
Website editors
Cameras will have to be replaced
Microphones have to be replaced

the list could go on, but...you do get what I am saying, all the above for 3 months in one year would bankrupt a digital TV company
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 03:31 AM #8

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Non of them are intrested apparently
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 03:31 AM #9

Actually just realised I made it sound like Ch4 do a good job of editing the HL show - they dont. I meant that they arent always afriad to show the controversial stuff.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:33 AM #10
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by ebuzz1000
Actually just realised I made it sound like Ch4 do a good job of editing the HL show - they dont. I meant that they arent always afriad to show the controversial stuff.
Blame OFCOM, they killed the show
Old 27-08-2009, 03:39 AM #11

Mr. Corrie I cant disagree with anything you've said, I kind of answered my own question in the first place, no channel outside of the main four could do it, too much outlay for not enough return. I guess normally you want something to go out on a high, but BB never recovered from its lows. sad, but inevitable.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:42 AM #12
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Mr. Corrie I cant disagree with anything you've said, I kind of answered my own question in the first place, no channel outside of the main four could do it, too much outlay for not enough return. I guess normally you want something to go out on a high, but BB never recovered from its lows. sad, but inevitable.
indeed, I remember when I used to be glued to BB, then the whole race row happened and BB started to go down hill, the best thing Channel 4 could do is an All stars edition, so the show can at least go out with those who made the show good
Old 27-08-2009, 03:50 AM #13
0_o

0_o

They should do allstars INSTEAD of celeb BB, then the final series can be a normal one, to see if the ratings are as bad. Preferably with normal people in it...who are not models, dont have agents, are not freaks, etc.

Also, try the last series with LF...I believe this has made a big difference
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 03:51 AM #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Corrie
Quote:
indeed, I remember when I used to be glued to BB, then the whole race row happened and BB started to go down hill, the best thing Channel 4 could do is an All stars edition, so the show can at least go out with those who made the show good
The race row did ultimately kill the show, and I've never seen such an unjustified piece of media hype, brought about by people who didnt even watch it, and then these same people ripped it out of all possible context. But the rot had set in long before the Shilpa Shetty travesty.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:54 AM #15

Quote:
Originally posted by VickyJ
They should do allstars INSTEAD of celeb BB, then the final series can be a normal one, to see if the ratings are as bad. Preferably with normal people in it...who are not models, dont have agents, are not freaks, etc.

Also, try the last series with LF...I believe this has made a big difference

Yep, to be fair, the Sophies and the Karly's and the Stephanies and the Kris's etc etc etc all played their part in killing the show. The producers should never have gone down the 'wannabe' road.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:58 AM #16
Banned

Banned

I think the whole thing has just gotten tired and stale and it needs a new approach and fresh new ideas. Can you name one new idea that's sprung from this entire series? I've seen no new innovation or display of creativity within the production team. That really spells out to me how they feel now about the entire project.
setanta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 04:04 AM #17

Quote:
Originally posted by setanta
I think the whole thing has just gotten tired and stale and it needs a new approach and fresh new ideas. Can you name one new idea that's sprung from this entire series? I've seen no new innovation or display of creativity within the production team. That really spells out to me how they feel now about the entire project.
Off the top of my head - not a thing. I dont think there's been a single genius twist (that hasnt just been a desperate attempt) since the rich/poor divide from BB3. Even when they tried to do it again it had lost its originality. Although to be fair I,ve been up all night and cant get my brain to function properly, so there probably have been a few twists/tasks i've forgotten.
Old 27-08-2009, 04:24 AM #18

Quote:
Originally posted by flemin
There's no guarantee the 2 million viewers watching now would move would move with BB to another channel. Look what happened with Celebrity Hijak for example.
If another broadcasting company took BB over it would virtually have to reschedule it's entire programming for 3 months and give total commitment to the programme. None of the broadcasters you mention would be able or willing to do that. Sky is a satellite based only channel so could only be received bu those who subscribe to Sky Digital. ITV just haven't got the funds to take it on and their main priority is I'm A Celebrity and The X Factor anyway. They have axed the live feed for I'm a Celebrity so they wouldn't be interesting in devoting 3 months of airtime to a BB live feed thats for sure. C5 have tested the reality tv water with Back To Reality and The Farm but axed them both as the viewing figures were low. The provided a live feed for both of those shows via the red button, so they have the means but they haven't got the inclination to take on BB after failing with the other reality tv shows, they wouldn't have the funding to take it on anyway. Unless C4 .have a very unlikely change of heart, I think we can safely say BB11 will be the last one ever.
mike888 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 04:31 AM #19

Quote:
Originally posted by mike888
Quote:
Originally posted by flemin
There's no guarantee the 2 million viewers watching now would move would move with BB to another channel. Look what happened with Celebrity Hijak for example.
If another broadcasting company took BB over it would virtually have to reschedule it's entire programming for 3 months and give total commitment to the programme. None of the broadcasters you mention would be able or willing to do that. Sky is a satellite based only channel so could only be received bu those who subscribe to Sky Digital. ITV just haven't got the funds to take it on and their main priority is I'm A Celebrity and The X Factor anyway. They have axed the live feed for I'm a Celebrity so they wouldn't be interesting in devoting 3 months of airtime to a BB live feed thats for sure. C5 have tested the reality tv water with Back To Reality and The Farm but axed them both as the viewing figures were low. The provided a live feed for both of those shows via the red button, so they have the means but they haven't got the inclination to take on BB after failing with the other reality tv shows, they wouldn't have the funding to take it on anyway. Unless C4 .have a very unlikely change of heart, I think we can safely say BB11 will be the last one ever.
Which leads me back to CH4 sadly. Theyve done alot of damage to their own flagship show, but there really isn't anyone else who could plow the time and resources into it.
Old 27-08-2009, 07:18 AM #20

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Quote:
2 million viewers outside of the four main terrestrial channels would be a ratings smash, but how good would their version of BB be should anyone decide to take it on after BB11?

The one thing Channel 4 has in its defence is that no other channel could or would invest as much money in the BB format as they have.
I have a free 'consulting' for anyone who does want to take on Big Brother Reboot:
(this isn't everything but its ONE important thing)

BB1 Drew MASSIVE nationwide interest and while it was colourful enough and featured enough 'youth culture' to grab 16-24 year olds it was really massively successful in grabbing nearly EVERYONE.
But it was massively grabbed and held dear by.. Im going to call this '26-42 year olds'.
Maybe more interested in what was then a more serious sociological and psychological experiment.
Actually many who were old enough to remember Orwells 1984.
Okay.
But more to the point we started with a premise very attractive to 26 to 42 year olds.
Fun enough but serious enough to grab some intellectual curiosity.
Okay great forget that because HERE IS THE THING:

As its most loyal dedicated established viewers were getting OLDER the series became increasingly IMMATURE.
There may have even been a point where those lines crossed for a plus,
but,
at this point those parallel lines are too far apart now.

BB1 you might have been 26 and were very intrigued by some of the social plays, the consequences of isolation, the emotional battles and 24/7 monitoring but also appreciated a tit-bird and a funny costume,
but,
now you are 36 and all the more intriguing socio-political psychological mysteries are gone, no new and more intriguing ones were made,
but,
you now get more and more tit-birds, flamboyant gays, silliness and actually the rules don't even play here with friends coming and going.
Really its just an 8 week Summer party house for teenagers now.

I would STRONGLY suggest that whoever takes on a new BB 'reboot' really considers investing in psychologists, sociologists to put together something which will include some much different, more complex and even more 'subtle' and overarching schemes and constructs,
and,
look.. you can STILL have it include young flamboyant big-titted gays too,
but,
something MORE challenging needs to show up here.

Hey.. I said before this might even start with a new house in a rural area that does not appear to have ANY cameras and no way to tell what is a mirror or a 2-way,
and,
maybe they DONT hear from anyone for days and maybe the show was canceled and maybe there are rooms they 'discover by accident' that 'they believe' are not filmed,
and,
maybe they discover their own listening or peeping holes.

What I am saying is that whoever does this really needs to stop and rethink the OPPOSITE of making it more young and gay and outrageously campy and an even bigger 'Summer Party House'.

Oh and if I had any say this would be my FIRST and unbreakable rule:
ABSOLUTELY NO MODEL, SINGERS, CELEBRITIES and really just saying a rule forbidding anyone who has an Agent.
If you have an 'Agent' you DO NOT QUALIFY PERIOD.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 08:05 AM #21

It was bound to get run down at some stage of its life no matter what channel had it. Its normal, things get repetitive as all ideas have been used. Maybe if they didnt show it for a few years then it might have a bigger impact again as there wil be new kids who never really watched it before.
walter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 09:17 AM #22

I think C4 and mad for getting rid of BB just because they can't be bothered to invest time and money to inprove it. There is nothing like it on tv and they were the first to bring it to the uk. I think they should have a rethink.
neonlight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 09:42 AM #23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Corrie
Quote:
The race row did ultimately kill the show, and I've never seen such an unjustified piece of media hype, brought about by people who didnt even watch it, and then these same people ripped it out of all possible context. But the rot had set in long before the Shilpa Shetty travesty.
They killed it completely when they returned Nikki Graham to the house as an eligible winner having been rightfully evicted in the first place, and when they had a "false" eviction for Charlie!
6*Alives is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:05 AM #24

Sky, ITV 2 and Channel 5 have already said they don't want it.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:09 AM #25

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Why are so many people missing the point? The channel DOES NOT produce Big Brother, but Endemol do. If it goes to another channel, it will be the EXACT SAME SHOW, just not on C4
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
channel 5, itv2, justice, kill, million, regular, sky, viewers