Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-10-2013, 10:51 PM #1

Default Facebooks Violations Policies.. (Potentially Upsetting)

Yesterday I was on FB and noticed lots of people on my friends list were commenting on a status shared with Strathclyde Police, so I read through and they were complaining that someone had posted an image of a dead child laying in grass and lots of people were sharing it.

Lots of people contacted facebook asking that they remove the image and they all got the same replies saying the photo wasn't breaking any terms and conditions and wasn't causing offence or distress to anyone.

Then I logged in tonight and someone had shared another persons image of their still birth baby...

So my question is for the first one do you think fb was in the right to reply like that?

I would certainly a say a photo like that would cause offence and distress to others..

And the person that posted the image of the still birth baby, should things like that really be posted on fb or any other social media sites?

I know people deal with deaths in different ways but I am at a loss to understand why anyone would post an image like that online, stuff like that should be kept personal IMO not shared around the internet, I think fb should be putting a stop to things like this.

Opinions?
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:53 PM #2
Viewer Emeritus

Viewer Emeritus

FB just seems to want to shock and attract advertising revenue!
Old 30-10-2013, 11:09 PM #3
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
FB just seems to want to shock and attract advertising revenue!
They're a 5 billion dollar company. I doubt somebody told Zuckerberg "hey man let's leave the dead goats up, smell dem dollars!".

Last edited by Stu; 30-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:13 PM #4
Viewer Emeritus

Viewer Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
They're a 5 billion dollar company. I doubt somebody told Zuckerberg "hey man let's leave the dead goats up, smell dem dollars!".
If you say so!
Old 30-10-2013, 10:55 PM #5
User banned

User banned

Well it's obviously trolls. Just don't go and look at them, sites with those kind of gore pics exist anyway

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 30-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:57 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
Well it's obviously trolls. Just don't go and look at them, sites with those kind of gore pics exist anyway
That's why it pissed me off though, you don't even have to click on anything you innocently scroll down your fb and the images are right there because someone else has shared or commented on them.

That's 3 images now I will never get out of my head all because of people sharing this stuff on there.
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:56 PM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I agree, I don't feel it's necessary at all seeing something like that would haunt me.. I have a hard time shaking things like that.
So for me I would say it was never acceptable.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:56 PM #8

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
Yesterday I was on FB and noticed lots of people on my friends list were commenting on a status shared with Strathclyde Police, so I read through and they were complaining that someone had posted an image of a dead child laying in grass and lots of people were sharing it.

Lots of people contacted facebook asking that they remove the image and they all got the same replies saying the photo wasn't breaking any terms and conditions and wasn't causing offence or distress to anyone.

Then I logged in tonight and someone had shared another persons image of their still birth baby...

So my question is for the first one do you think fb was in the right to reply like that?

I would certainly a say a photo like that would cause offence and distress to others..

And the person that posted the image of the still birth baby, should things like that really be posted on fb or any other social media sites?

I know people deal with deaths in different ways but I am at a loss to understand why anyone would post an image like that online, stuff like that should be kept personal IMO not shared around the internet, I think fb should be putting a stop to things like this.

Opinions?
I agree Josy,some of the things posted are sickening ,I often had animal cruelty stuff sent me and it was awful and Yes FB should take down distressfull images,I cant believe they let the one of the dead child through ,who are these bloody people? as for the baby I personally wouldn't,especially on a social network,maybe on a memorial site,but even then,I wouldn't.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:56 PM #9
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I agree, I don't feel it's necessary at all seeing something like that would haunt me.. I have a hard time shaking things like that.
So for me I would say it was never acceptable.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:57 PM #10
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

This is no different to them refusing to take down the Mexican beheading video which was uploaded again last week, despite when it happened before them making a stand and saying they'd decided such content wasn't acceptable. Apparently they'd changed their mind and have argued that so long as such content is being uploaded to condemn the actions then it is acceptable, but I don't think it is since almost all of the comments are people laughing and thinking it's amazing which I find totally disturbing but still

I thought they'd once again gone back on their decision after all the backlash though so I'm surprised it hasn't been taken down?
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:58 PM #11
User banned

User banned

Oh well they're idiots for sharing it you can't do anything about it

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 30-10-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:00 PM #12
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Facebook and the people who share that stuff are arseholes. I remember seeing a dog with a giant hook through its nose and mouth and stuff. Disgusting. Never gi on it any more, I like twitter more.
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 06:49 AM #13

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Facebook is the biggest con ever inflicted on a gullible world, and I hope its days are numbered.

It is a dangerous pointless waste of a lot of time people could put to better use. It is a potentially dangerous subversive concept whereby everyone is encouraged to participate in online fake relationships in which highly personal information is put into the public domain and can be used by anybody for all types of nefarious reasons.

It is highly addictive for younger people and is used by the criminal fraternity for gathering personal information.

It should be banned as it offers nothing in reality.... I hope now that it's gone commercial it carries more and more adverts and that people eventually see this ridiculous software package for what it is , a completely useless huge waste of time...!!!
Old 31-10-2013, 08:42 AM #14
Viewer Emeritus

Viewer Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
Facebook is the biggest con ever inflicted on a gullible world, and I hope its days are numbered.

It is a dangerous pointless waste of a lot of time people could put to better use. It is a potentially dangerous subversive concept whereby everyone is encouraged to participate in online fake relationships in which highly personal information is put into the public domain and can be used by anybody for all types of nefarious reasons.

It is highly addictive for younger people and is used by the criminal fraternity for gathering personal information.

It should be banned as it offers nothing in reality.... I hope now that it's gone commercial it carries more and more adverts and that people eventually see this ridiculous software package for what it is , a completely useless huge waste of time...!!!
Of course it is, it should have been destroyed by that share launch fiasco, but it managed to survive and now it can show its true colours.
Old 31-10-2013, 09:10 AM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Oh I saw that picture of the still birth baby, it was a little creepy, the message with it was a bit sad though, I wasn't sure what to make of it

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 31-10-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 09:59 AM #16
-

-

Facebook's policies are all over the place. Pictures that show breastfeeding are deleted for being "obscene", but you can post pictures of boobs (in general) so long as there's no nipple or areola showing...

People have actually tested the theory - you can have a picture of a fully dressed woman with almost completely covered boobs with a TINY little bit of areola peeking out, and it'll be removed if reported. On the other hand, you can post a picture of an almost completely naked woman - but so long as she's wearing knickers and boobie-tassles that cover the nipples it gets to stay . Madness.

In general... facebook is pretty awful these days. When it first started out (as an actual social network aimed at students), it was a great concept. Simple, to the point, not mauled with advertising, not constantly being spammed by idiots. It's gone slowly downhill to where it is now... I wish I wasn't even "on it" these days, actually, but it's gotten to the point where people don't know how to communicate without it! The art of the good old fashioned text message has been sadly lost. Some people even send out their wedding invitations as a facebook event .

Plus my teenage sister-in-law's page is comedy gold.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 10:33 AM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I think people should start campaigns to come out of Facebook, call it Facebook Freedom month whereby everybody in your facebook group thats fed up with this ridiculous social media addiction can pull the plug together.

In fact we could hold Facebook closing down parties, we could go back to using text msg or E-Mail to spread the word. I bet millions particularly the older users would jump at the chance to be rid of this time consuming utterly pointless yet addictive social media website.
Old 31-10-2013, 10:49 AM #18
0_o

0_o

I hate those things. Not long ago my father in law started sharing them..like he ones of a seriously ill baby thats half dead that captions something along the lines o 'I pay 1 dollar for every share' and stuff. Its awful
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:48 AM #19

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

I've never had any of these come up on my timeline, I must just have different sorts of friends I guess, loads of people talk about seeing stuff, that is controversial, like when all those pig ****ing videos and stuff were going around, but me personally, never. I'm glad, I wouldn't want to... and in this scenario it'd just sadden me.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:48 PM #20

Well i think because Facebook allows 13 y/o's on their site they should censor more. If it was an 18+ only site then i would be against any type of censorship, but Facebook allows anyone 13+ and they bill themselves as a kid friendly and safe environment, so they probably should take that kind of stuff off. Also those gross pics of abortions by the pro-life people should also be taken off.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:04 PM #21

Favourites:
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites:

Theres little freedom out there as it is so i think we should be allowed to post what we like and say what we like most importantly , but when it comes to things like that we should police ourselves not have facebook or any other site do it. its a lack of respect posting stuff like that which we shouldn't be doing but if you got friends who do then you have the wrong kind of friends is how i look it it.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:26 PM #22
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
Theres little freedom out there as it is so i think we should be allowed to post what we like and say what we like most importantly , but when it comes to things like that we should police ourselves not have facebook or any other site do it. its a lack of respect posting stuff like that which we shouldn't be doing but if you got friends who do then you have the wrong kind of friends is how i look it it.
I agree with that, to be honest. If anyone I know started posting pictures of dead kids I'd just unfriend them, online and in real life. I only have "real life" friends on my facebook. I'd tear them a new one first, to be honest...

That's the main problem, though: so many people, teenagers especially, have thousands of "facebook friends"... Most of whom they've only met once in passing, if at all.

And then theres the problem of the way Facebook's news feeds work... you don't just see things posted BY your friends. For example, if someone posts one of these pictures with access set to "public" and one of your friends comments on it to say that it's disgusting or to have a go at them, that can cause said pictures to show up all over everyone's news feeds. You don't really get a choice in seeing it. It's just right there when you log in. So I get where people are coming from. sometimes this crap pops up out of nowhere, and just ruins your day...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 05:22 PM #23

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I agree with that, to be honest. If anyone I know started posting pictures of dead kids I'd just unfriend them, online and in real life. I only have "real life" friends on my facebook. I'd tear them a new one first, to be honest...

That's the main problem, though: so many people, teenagers especially, have thousands of "facebook friends"... Most of whom they've only met once in passing, if at all.

And then theres the problem of the way Facebook's news feeds work... you don't just see things posted BY your friends. For example, if someone posts one of these pictures with access set to "public" and one of your friends comments on it to say that it's disgusting or to have a go at them, that can cause said pictures to show up all over everyone's news feeds. You don't really get a choice in seeing it. It's just right there when you log in. So I get where people are coming from. sometimes this crap pops up out of nowhere, and just ruins your day...

yeah i tend to just have people i know on f book or people i know from the net .never have the got the point of just adding anybody as they arnt friends lol
if people have thousands of people they dont even know well they cant complain really if they see stuff they dont like.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:15 PM #24

They'd be there all day if they dealt with every single reported image (but then again they're a big enough company to employ thousands of people who could deal with the reports)
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 03:23 PM #25
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
They'd be there all day if they dealt with every single reported image (but then again they're a big enough company to employ thousands of people who could deal with the reports)
It's not going against the rules though , Facebook recently allowed gore pictures

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
facebooks, policies, potentially, upsetting, violations