Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-08-2017, 09:33 AM #1
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Default A lesson in freedom of speech that all Europeans and Canadians need to see

I don't believe America is the best country to live in or at least I think such labels are silly. Some things we do better than other countries and some we don't. One thing I believe we do better than just about any other country is we have a culture that genuinely believes in freedom of speech, even if they find that speech distasteful. When I look across to Europe and I see 80 year old women being jailed for years for daring to question the official version of the Holocaust, I love that we have a written constitution that is almost impossible to change with the first amendment. So I found this video and I think the message is profound. A man uses his freedom of speech to put a Nazi flag up on his property. All the neighbors found it distasteful but not one dared question his right to do that. Instead, one of them used his freedom of speech to bring attention to this. Although I would not fly a Nazi flag in my backyard, this video is one of the rare times these days when I am proud of my country.

Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:48 AM #2
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4eva View Post
I don't believe America is the best country to live in or at least I think such labels are silly. Some things we do better than other countries and some we don't. One thing I believe we do better than just about any other country is we have a culture that genuinely believes in freedom of speech, even if they find that speech distasteful. When I look across to Europe and I see 80 year old women being jailed for years for daring to question the official version of the Holocaust, I love that we have a written constitution that is almost impossible to change with the first amendment. So I found this video and I think the message is profound. A man uses his freedom of speech to put a Nazi flag up on his property. All the neighbors found it distasteful but not one dared question his right to do that. Instead, one of them used his freedom of speech to bring attention to this. Although I would not fly a Nazi flag in my backyard, this video is one of the rare times these days when I am proud of my country.

Personally I don't see much difference between a nazi flag and a Burkha, both are shoving discrimination down our throats. I suppose the difference for me would be that the flag is on private property whereas the wearing of a burkha is allowed on public streets and in public places.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:51 PM #3
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Personally I don't see much difference between a nazi flag and a Burkha, both are shoving discrimination down our throats. I suppose the difference for me would be that the flag is on private property whereas the wearing of a burkha is allowed on public streets and in public places.
I do differ from the "alt-righters" on this website at least on this issue. I feel we should be able to wear what we would like in public as long as it does not directly harm other people. So walking down the street with a Burkha should be legal (as long as the person is voluntarily wearing it of course) but driving with a Burkha or getting your driver's license photo with it is another story. In that situation what they are doing is putting other people in jeopardy.

If the British, French, or whomever don't like it when people wear the Burkha you might want to think about stopping the immigration of people who will be inclined to wear the Burkha. It's not rocket science.
Old 24-08-2017, 06:53 AM #4

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: David Potts
BB2023: Noky

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If the British, French, or whomever don't like it when people wear the Burkha you might want to think about stopping the immigration of people who will be inclined to wear the Burkha. It's not rocket science.
Please don't speak for us, especially innacurately.

In one breath you speak about people's rights to wear what they want to and in the next you advocate an immigration ban for those people for exercising those rights.
The immigration ban crap wasn't accepted in your country and gladly isn't even on the table in ours.
JTM45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 07:50 AM #5
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
Please don't speak for us, especially innacurately.

In one breath you speak about people's rights to wear what they want to and in the next you advocate an immigration ban for those people for exercising those rights.
The immigration ban crap wasn't accepted in your country and gladly isn't even on the table in ours.
So can anyone wear an item of clothing i.e. tee shirt or dress with a large swastika, ISIS or anti-Islam flag on the front in public because of people's rights to wear what they want?

The wearing of the burkha is just the same and represents blatant discrimination and is every bit as hateful and offensive. If we allow one we have to allow all otherwise we are practising discrimination and publicly stating that some types of discrimination are more distasteful and some more acceptable than others. Would that be your opinion then? Do you think the discrimination of women is less distasteful and more acceptable than the discrimination of race or religion?

As for immigration - that is a subject very much still in progress because, in case you haven't noticed or chosen to ignore, Europe as a whole is increasingly protesting against mass immigration and open borders.

Last edited by Brillopad; 24-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 24-08-2017, 11:41 AM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
So can anyone wear an item of clothing i.e. tee shirt or dress with a large swastika, ISIS or anti-Islam flag on the front in public because of people's rights to wear what they want?

The wearing of the burkha is just the same and represents blatant discrimination and is every bit as hateful and offensive. If we allow one we have to allow all otherwise we are practising discrimination and publicly stating that some types of discrimination are more distasteful and some more acceptable than others. Would that be your opinion then? Do you think the discrimination of women is less distasteful and more acceptable than the discrimination of race or religion?

As for immigration - that is a subject very much still in progress because, in case you haven't noticed or chosen to ignore, Europe as a whole is increasingly protesting against mass immigration and open borders.
So where did i say any of that ?
It's the person i was replying to that advocated the things you're trying to pull me up on so why aren't you questioning them about it instead of me ? Oh yeah, it doesn't fit in with your agenda does it.
Old 24-08-2017, 12:04 PM #7

Quote:

The burqa is more cultural than religious. In some countries, its demanded and that is discriminatory. In the West, some women continue to wear it because a) that's what they are used to and feel comfortable in it. b) Because they wrongly believe it represents the purity of a religion. c) Because the men or family members demand it and d) because they want their right to privacy.

If we ban the burqa, we aid the women who aren't given a choice but what about the women who choose to wear it? Would we be discriminating her rights?

I walk past women wearing burqas on a regular basis. I hardly notice them and I certainly don't find them offensive or threatening. I don't look at those women pitifully and ponder about why they are wearing it, just as I don't ponder about the Hasidic Jewish women wearing dowdy clothing and ill fitting wigs or the English woman revealing their heavy cleavages or ass cheeks from micro outfits. All of those women could be being bullied by the men in their lives to wear the outfits they wear but its not for me to pick and choose which women are being repressed, abused, bullied, coerced or pimped based on what they are wearing.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 24-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 01:21 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
when you are the only person on your street left who speaks English, you are going to move. I don't expect you to agree with that and you may call me an idiot for all I care but I do know your type. Those who preach diversity are almost always the first to flee when they experience it and see what it really entails. In California so many people are fleeing to other (whiter) states but unfortunately sometimes they are taking their political opinions with them.
I've lived in Africa and Saudi Arabia so that destroys your ill-founded assumptions (again!).
How on Earth can you claim to ''know my type'' when you don't know me or anything about me. You're judging me by your own discriminatory values which i'm proud to not share.
It just makes you look foolish when you repeatedly make incorrect assumptions
Old 23-08-2017, 09:55 AM #9
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

So flying an ISIS flag would equally be ok, do you think?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:01 AM #10
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
If they are a legal citizen of the United States then they should be allowed to fly it on their own property. If they start talking and indoctrinating people about how non-Muslims need to be killed, then that's a grey area. If they are a "refugee" not a citizen and they are proudly waving the Isis flag I think it is in our country's interest and our legal right to deport them on the spot back to wherever they came from.

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 23-08-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:05 AM #11
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If they are a legal citizen of the United States then they should be allowed to fly it on their own property. If they start talking and indoctrinating people about how non-Muslims need to be killed, then that's a grey area. If they are a "refugee" not a citizen and they are proudly waving the Isis flag I think it is in our country's interest and our legal right to deport them on the spot back to wherever they came from.
mmhmm I don't believe you with all your if's and but's

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 23-08-2017, 10:07 AM #12
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I have seen an ISIS flag on a house in Britain. It seemed to be allowed. At least I guess they are indentifying themselves - not so much of the hidden enemy within.

There were also such flags being waved at a recent Hezbolah demostration in London, which was supposedly illegal, but nothing was done about it.

Last edited by Brillopad; 23-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:08 AM #13
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I have seen an ISIS flag on a house in Britain. It seemed to be allowed. At least I guess they are indentifying themselves - not so much of the hidden enemy within.
It is NOT allowed and you should have reported it as soon as you saw it.
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:40 AM #14
Banned

Banned

Freedom of Speech isn't unconditional, even in the US. Whether it's legal or other consequences, ALL opinions come with consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
Can't report what didn't happen.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:52 AM #15
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Freedom of Speech isn't unconditional, even in the US. Whether it's legal or other consequences, ALL opinions come with consequences.

Can't report what didn't happen.
Really. Didn't know you were there. Or is it a habit of yours to call people liars based on no evidence whatsoever.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:09 AM #16
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
An actual ISIS flag? They should be made take it down and they should be arresting them imo

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-08-2017, 10:17 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Quote:
An actual ISIS flag? They should be made take it down and they should be arresting them imo
I'd bet good money that what Brillo saw was simply the national flag with arabic of a middle-eastern country (Iraq, Saudi, Yemen etc. have writing on their flags), and not an actual Jihadist black flag.

Not least because an actual ISIS member flying an ISIS flag on their house would be REALLY stupid .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:19 AM #18
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'd bet good money that what Brillo saw was simply the national flag with arabic of a middle-eastern country (Iraq, Saudi, Yemen etc. have writing on their flags), and not an actual Jihadist black flag.

Not least because an actual ISIS member flying an ISIS flag on their house would be REALLY stupid .
Yeah

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-08-2017, 10:21 AM #19
User banned

User banned

Quote:

It wasn't. It was an all black flag and had metal grates over the windows and doors. It looked really sinister.
Old 23-08-2017, 11:00 AM #20
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

I've seen an actual IS flag several times, although not on a house. I've seen one fixed to the front of a a table in East Ham High Street (junction of Pilgrims Way, to be exact) alongside a man - and I use that term in its loosest possible sense - handing out leaflets and yelling into a bullhorn. I've also seen it being carried during demonstrations. It's as much of a disgrace as flying a Nazi flag on my opinion.

As for the USA, I think people in the States have so many freedoms compared to other places in the world that they imagine Freedom of Speech is something that allows them to do and say things just to antagonise... and we all know that's not the purpose of it.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:02 AM #21
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

So we have a nazi sympathiser and, by the sounds of it, a holocaust-denier sympathiser on the forum. Wtaf
Old 23-08-2017, 10:03 AM #22
User banned

User banned

Quote:
So we have a nazi sympathiser and, by the sounds of it, a holocaust-denier sympathiser on the forum. Wtaf
We also seem to have a dictator.

Last edited by Brillopad; 23-08-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:04 AM #23
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
We also seem to have a dictator.
Yes that Josy is a right COW!!

(I'm joking Josy xxx)
Old 23-08-2017, 10:22 AM #24
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Labels are silly. Let's just say I no longer buy into the belief that the Allies in WW2 were all that better than the Nazis. The world ain't black and white. Never was.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:25 AM #25

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Labels are silly. Let's just say I no longer buy into the belief that the Allies in WW2 were all that better than the Nazis. The world ain't black and white. Never was.
The allies didn't try and delete an entire race from the world.I'd say we were on the right side of morality in that one
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
canadians, europeans, freedom, lesson, speech