Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-01-2019, 09:35 PM #1
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Default Troye Sivan wonders: 'if I'd be more commercially successful if I wasn’t gay'

Quote:
Troye Sivan has discussed the relationship between his sexuality and his commercial success to date as a pop star in a new interview.

Speaking on a podcast, the Youth singer said: ‘Part of me wonders sometimes if I would be more commercially successful if I wasn’t gay or not as “in your face gay”.

The star has scored two top 10 albums in the US – 2015’s Blue Neighbourhood and 2018’s Bloom. His EPs – 2014’s TRXYE and 2015’s Wild – also went top 10.

Troye made the comments on British singer and 2001 Pop Idol winner Will Young’s Homo Sapiens podcast.

‘We don’t have a queer Taylor Swift’
On it, Troye says: ‘I have a great management team and great label, and I haven’t had this conversation with anyone else in fear because I hate it, hate it, hate it when pop stars sound bitter, or blame any sort of lack of success on anything other than for themselves. I don’t want to come across like I’m saying that at all, but this just feels like a safe space where we can have an open conversation.’

He furthermore continued: ‘Part of me wonders sometimes if I would be more commercially successful if I wasn’t gay or not as “in your face gay”. I think we’re in a really interesting time in music right now where we are seeing more and more queer artists pop up, but we don’t have a queer Taylor Swift, we don’t have a queer Rihanna, or a queer Beyoncé.

‘It’s not there yet I don’t think, though it feels very exciting to be where we are, I still feel like there’s a really tall mountain to climb. Sometimes it can be frustrating because I’m giving my all and not having some humongous radio smash all over the world.’

‘Is the world actually ready?’
He also added: ‘100% could just be on the music, maybe the music just isn’t good enough, maybe the world is obsessed with hip hop right now and I’m making the furthest thing from hip hop. It could be a myriad other things, but a part of me wonders sometimes, is the world actually ready right now for what I’m trying to be?’

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...y/#gs.g5an9t2b
Sam Smith sweetie..

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
commercially, gay, sivan, successful, troye, wasn’t, wonders