Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-10-2011, 04:00 PM #1

Lightbulb Liam Fox quits as defence secretary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15300751

Quote:
Defence Secretary Liam Fox has resigned.

He has been under pressure after a week of allegations over his working relationship with friend and self-styled adviser Adam Werritty.

In a letter to David Cameron, Mr Fox said he had "mistakenly allowed" his personal and professional responsibilities to become "blurred".

In response, the prime minister said he was very sorry for Mr Fox's departure but "understood his reasons".

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said the prime minister had concluded Mr Fox could no longer stay in his job amid continuing questions about his links to to his former flatmate Adam Werritty.

It emerged that the lobbyist had accompanied the defence secretary on 18 foreign trips, despite having no official role, and had been handing out business cards suggesting he was an adviser to Mr Fox.

Mr Fox was being investigated by the Cabinet Secretary amid claims that he had broken the ministerial code.

In his resignation letter, Mr Fox said he had "mistakenly allowed the distinction between my personal interest and my government activities to become blurred".

"The consequences of this have become clearer in recent days," he added. "I am very sorry for this.

"I have also repeatedly said that the national interest must always come before personal interest.

"I now have to hold myself to my own standard. I have therefore decided, with great sadness, to resign from my post as secretary of state for defence."

Mr Fox apologised to MPs earlier this week but maintained that there was no wrongdoing in his dealings with Mr Werritty.
About time .....

As a senior Cabinet Minister, he had made his position untenable by failing to reveal the extent of his past and present political association with an opportunistic businessman "best man and flatmate" .....

David Cameron seems, yet again, to have been caught "on the hop" by events - he really is appearing clueless and inept .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
defence, fox, liam, quits, secretary