Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:13 AM #1251

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Favourites (more):

I hate politics and I'm pretty unknowledgeable about it

However what I do know is that all of Parliament have a responsibility to provide an answer for the citizens of Britain

It's ok for them with their cushy lifestyles their fancy houses and their fancy cars

But what about the rest of us? What impact will brexit have?

Because the thought of new laws being brought in that seem to allow yet another extension to the deadline is wrong

They think the longer they hold it off the better

But do they not realise the impact its already having. I work at a university and they are cutting peoples jobs, they are decreasing our hours, our pay and our holidays as they are not sure when brexit does come into play what impact this will have on money coming into the university in regards to international students

Brexit might not even affect international students but it might so my work are putting the preparation in for it which is having an effect right NOW not having an effect whenever they want to extend the deadline to

The longer the deadline is extended the more uncertainty there is for people and their careers, soon there will have to be cutbacks on health care on the NHS etc

So yes they may all fart around with the whole idiotic ideas of I's to the left and no's to the right

But they were put into their positions for a reason they wanted to be there it is their job it is their responsibility so they need to pull their finger out of their arse and bloody get a shape on!

Last edited by Strictly Jake; 12-09-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Strictly Jake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM #1252

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Aside from the parliament can someone tell me what the role of the the Royal family are in making these sorts of decisions too? They just seem to be glorified celebrities going around waving and shaking hands with people and the queen just seems like a posh old lady going around in a car waving at people, that's what my nana does so are they dealing with the situation in any way?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:38 AM #1253
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Jake View Post
Aside from the parliament can someone tell me what the role of the the Royal family are in making these sorts of decisions too?
They have no say in it, in fact less than the average Joe because they're supposed to "stay politically neutral".

Quote:
They just seem to be glorified celebrities going around waving and shaking hands with people and the queen just seems like a posh old lady going around in a car waving at people, that's what my nana does
Pretty much spot on.

Quote:
so are they dealing with the situation in any way?
No, it's just ceremonial.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 AM #1254
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I, even though I wanted remain.
Can understand the annoyance and frustration of those who say just get it done.

I don't however line up with the view of at any cost.
3 mistakes were made by the PM and government.
One with other Parties support.

That was voting to revoke article 50 too soon.

Then we had a PM who sidelined all other Parties except the DUP.
To negotiate.

Then whipping voting when free votes were a more inclusive way forward.

Once we are out, that is it, even trying to rejoin if the Country wanted to.
Would be really costly and we'd then need to accept the euro too.

So if leaving, at least have the closest and best agreement possible.
Of which no deal, has to be the absolute very worst outcome.

So while delays are frustrating, I would rather have time taken to get as much right as possible.
Take the time now.
Because if chaos does result.
Wishing we had taken more time once out is then way too late.

I'm content to leave but not to rush blindly into more uncertainty and regret.

Last edited by joeysteele; 12-09-2019 at 08:05 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 AM #1255

The Queen
does not get political.
The Courts have a View
Nothing has changed, yet.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:30 AM #1256

"Once we are out, that is it, even trying to rejoin if the Country wanted to.
Would be really costly and we'd then need to accept the euro too."

Yes we would be out of the EU
no need to return , Joey.
We can trade
and become a better nation.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:51 AM #1257
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"Once we are out, that is it, even trying to rejoin if the Country wanted to.
Would be really costly and we'd then need to accept the euro too."

Yes we would be out of the EU
no need to return , Joey.
We can trade
and become a better nation.
If a future population demanded we were again part of the EU.
The political Parties couldn't ignore that.

No matter any election result or even IF a new referendum were held now, even reinforcing the leave vote.

The Nationalist Parties, Greens and particularly the LIb Dems would always be looking for a time to negotiate rejoining.

That is IF there remains such a thing as the United Kingdom or even Great Britain.
As you can't be called either if Scotland ended up voting for independence, after leaving the EU.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 AM #1258

Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 AM #1259
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

once out of eu, means forever out of eu Joey

you guys better hope you aren't leaving on a disastrous no deal, otherwise there will be only chaos in britain, and arsehole farage shoving it on ''project fear'' again that nonsense of his, it's just realistic thoughts, chaos and food/medicine shortages after a no deal brexit

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:01 AM #1260

Labour Confusions
Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM #1261

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

So much confusion going on now,the yellow hammer papers were put together by remainers so they are obviously going to be biased and trying to scare people into wanting to remain, then the leavers are told they are all 'thick' as they don't understand, no wonder the country is split,plus the money we save from giving to the EU can be put to things we need, we can grow our own food,and we need to remember the EU will try anything to put us off leaving,they need us in some ways,as for Boris supposedly lying to The Queen, surely she has several advisors etc who guide her,unless she is 'thick' aswell, when did we all become so scared as people? whatever happens we will get through it like it or not ,Brexit is just a scapegoat for everything now,either way,we will get food,medicine and all the other things people think we wont,everyone panics over the millennium bug which so called experts said would be catastrophic,what happened? nothing.That's my opinion, I dont need berating for it.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 AM #1262
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
So much confusion going on now,the yellow hammer papers were put together by remainers so they are obviously going to be biased and trying to scare people into wanting to remain, then the leavers are told they are all 'thick' as they don't understand, no wonder the country is split,plus the money we save from giving to the EU can be put to things we need, we can grow our own food,and we need to remember the EU will try anything to put us off leaving,they need us in some ways,as for Boris supposedly lying to The Queen, surely she has several advisors etc who guide her,unless she is 'thick' aswell, when did we all become so scared as people? whatever happens we will get through it like it or not ,Brexit is just a scapegoat for everything now,either way,we will get food,medicine and all the other things people think we wont,everyone panics over the millennium bug which so called experts said would be catastrophic,what happened? nothing.That's my opinion, I dont need berating for it.
both FDA and EMA have left britain for amsterdam, and these were your food and medicine administrations

but if a miracle happens and you guys can create your own medicine, well then there is no need for panic, but as i said it would take a huge miracle to do so

growing own food gets more difficult each year, with the ongoing changing climate

Old 12-09-2019, 09:11 AM #1263

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
both FDA and EMA have left britain for amsterdam, and these were your food and medicine administrations

but if a miracle happens and you guys can create your own medicine, well then there is no need for panic, but as i said it would take a huge miracle to do so

growing own food gets more difficult each year, with the ongoing changing climate
The EU is not the only place we can get medicines there are solutions to everything,we havent always been in the EU and we are still here

Old 12-09-2019, 09:12 AM #1264
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
It wasn't put together by remainers, it was put together by Johnsons cabinet, and not only that, but they doctored this document so it now says it's the worst case scenario, when in fact this is the base scenario. This isn't even the full document as they're still trying to hide even worse stuff from us.

Be pro brexit or anti brexit, but this is a no deal document put together by the people tat are trying to force through a no deal brexit.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM #1265
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Parliament never used to be able to prevent an election until the FTPA and afaik pre-Brexit they never took control of the order paper and they were never able to impose policy on the country's elected government before

I was a Remainer and I still kinda wish the ref had never happened but what it did do was make me aware of the level of discontent in the country with the status quo and with 'the establishment'. I think the result should be honoured because people should see that their vote actually meant something. I also think delivering Brexit is what is most likely to allow us to move on from it and let the country 'come back together'. Even though I thought it would be better to Remain I never thought the EU was a particularly noble organisation and a lot of the criticisms about its lack of accountability are true. Being a member of it is not the be all and end all and so the damage that overturning the referendum would do to people's faith in our democracy is not a price worth paying. Sneering at Leave voters and suggesting they were tricked or lied to doesn't address the cause of the result and actually I think a lot of pretty moderate Leave voters have been radicalised by the contempt their vote is treated with which is why so many are now set on no deal.
Is there anything that remainers aren't responsible for? We've been blamed for the fact that we don't believe enough, we've been blamed for the fact we can't get a deal, we've been blamed for trying to stop a no deal, and now you're blaming remain side for radicalising so-called moderates?

I'm not suggesting people were tricked and lied to, it's what the evidence and facts say happened. Placating people to help them continue this charade that the brexit campaign told them accurate truths would be far more egregious and dishonest than levelling with them. You can't blame radicalisation on remainers, because that's ridiculous.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 12-09-2019 at 09:37 AM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:27 AM #1266
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The EU is not the only place we can get medicines there are solutions to everything,we havent always been in the EU and we are still here
i'm not hoping for any chaos, panic myself, just get this brexit sorted out asap and then onward for you guys making your britain a better nation

leaving with a deal would be good because then you can still maintain some form of trade, also better for the holidays (otherwise with a no deal you guys should also have a eu passport if you want to go on holiday within europe, apart from those countries who aren't in the EU then, the balkan countries mostly)

trade with europe is important, as for import of flowers, wines and our dutch royalties would still want to visit your british royals ofc and vice versa

Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 AM #1267
0_o

0_o

Quote:
,everyone panics over the millennium bug which so called experts said would be catastrophic,what happened? nothing.
'Nothing' happened as lots of IT experts worked extremely hard to avoid it, and literally billions was put into avoiding issues. Its not possible to both avert a crisis, and have a crisis at the same time really. I never understand tbh, why people say this of this bug, when the huge huge majority of tech experts agree. Mind, I guess we live in a world these days that should ignore experts. I do wonder how that all would have gone down had the reaction just been 'rargh, just ignore it, scaremongering!' as even with the prep and such, there were nuclear reactors shutting down and stuff..
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM #1268

Quote:
Yes
We need Medicine Scare Storys
sorted out
Old 12-09-2019, 09:32 AM #1269
0_o

0_o

I hope the medication thing is false, as 2 lots of my prescriptions are on lists that will apparently be short
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:35 AM #1270
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I hope the medication thing is false, as 2 lots of my prescriptions are on lists that will apparently be short
well hope britain can find another good administration for medication then

what you say and also to think of there being several elderly who rely on daily medication

Old 12-09-2019, 09:35 AM #1271
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes
We need Medicine Scare Storys
sorted out
Scare stories put together that want to force these through, and this isn't even the worst case, they're holding back.

I'm amazed that yellowhammer hasn't made people pause for a minute about what we're doing here, but I see it's being brushed off as remainer propaganda all over again.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:38 AM #1272
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Scare stories put together that want to force these through, and this isn't even the worst case, they're holding back.

I'm amazed that yellowhammer hasn't made people pause for a minute about what we're doing here, but I see it's being brushed off as remainer propaganda all over again.
Project fear innit. You know the same project fear that was blasted for saying we might end up with no deal, nooo, that absolutely would not happen in a million years..

And it was project fear that said that the EU absolutely would not bendover backwards to give us what we want like leave campaigners claimed... but it was clearly just remainers trying to scare people
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 12-09-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM #1273

Quote:
Is there anything that remainers aren't responsible for? We've been blamed for the fact that we don't believe enough, we've been blamed for the fact we can't get get a deal, we've been blamed for trying to stop a no deal, and now you're blaming remain side for radicalising so-called moderates?

I'm not suggesting people were tricked and lied to, it's what the evidence and facts say happened. Placating people to help them continue this charade that the brexit campaign told them accurate truths would be far more egregious and dishonest than levelling with them. You can't blame radicalisation on remainers, because that's ridiculous.
A lot of the problem about the debate, with regards to winning over Leavers, is that most of the arguments used now are about economics, business and trade (which are hugely important issues) but the reasons people voted Leave were more about ideas like sovereignty, borders, community, identity etc. There hasn't been an awfully great effort to change minds on those issues.

That's a problem for the Remainers if they did get another referendum and want to change the result of the last one.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 AM #1274

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It wasn't put together by remainers, it was put together by Johnsons cabinet, and not only that, but they doctored this document so it now says it's the worst case scenario, when in fact this is the base scenario. This isn't even the full document as they're still trying to hide even worse stuff from us.

Be pro brexit or anti brexit, but this is a no deal document put together by the people tat are trying to force through a no deal brexit.
But if it is to force a no deal Brexit Slim,why would Johnson and co try to sabotage it as to leave is what he wants none of us REALLY know whats going on behind closed doors and wasn't Johnsons cabinet mostly remainers ? there are so many media stories floating round it's really hard to believe any of them.

Last edited by Kazanne; 12-09-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 AM #1275
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Project fear innit. You know the same project fear that was blasted for saying we might end up with no deal, nooo, that absolutely would not happen in a million years..

And it was project fear that said that the EU absolutely would not bendover backwards to give us what we want like leave campaigners claimed... but it was clearly just remainers trying to scare people
Leave broke the law and have been proven wrong about everything they said, remain have been proved pretty much correct, and people still believe anything leave are saying now and refuse to believe that yellowhammer is a no deal document put together by Johnsons government.

Yellowhammer should absolutely put a stop to this madness, but yet here we are, folks trying to reason their way around it as scare stories.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
approved, asked, boris, parliment, queen, suspend