Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-09-2019, 03:49 PM #1

Default Unvaccinated Kids to be BANNED from School, Health Sec. Hancock

Matt Hancock MP
is correct on this
As Measles Kills

MMR vaccine

Get that or get your kid Out of our Schools

Last edited by arista; 30-09-2019 at 06:09 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 03:54 PM #2
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

I agree with Arista, and it's not often I get to say that.
Old 27-09-2019, 03:57 PM #3

Where did you read they are to be banned from school?
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 04:05 PM #4
-

-

Do you have an article on this Arista? As I can't find one anywhere.

Personally I'm pro-vax but 100% against government mandated medical procedures. That's never going to change, I'm afraid.

It's also a debate that gives me a massive headache because the "facts" quoted by militant anti-vaxxer AND by militant pro-vaxxers are all utter ****ing nonsense. Rational debate on this went out of the window a LONG time ago. One side has kids dying instantly of brain swelling on being vaccinated - the other is screeching that everyone is going to die of chicken pox and insisting that childhood survival rates in the modern world are mainly down to vaccination. Hint: they are not, they are thanks to sanitation, antibiotics, hospital care and modern fever reduction and rehydration methods. This is well established statistical fact. But if you try mentioning that in a pro vax debate several people will unfailingly lose their heads and start bawling that we're all going to die of rubella, and that vaccines are 100% safe, which that are not. Go and get vaccine box and read the little leaflet inside.

I'm annoyed just thinking about it right now

Facts:

- Vaccines carry risks
- The effectiveness of vaccination is over-emphasised in terms of mortality reduction
- However, vaccine-preventable illnesses have a HIGHER RATE of risks of largely the same things as you'd get as a vaccine side-effect
- So vaccines ARE still a good idea if you understand anything about statistical risk. It's safer to have them than to not have them (by a long way)
- ...I'll still never advocate government-mandated medical procedures. Ever. Of any kind.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 04:07 PM #5
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Operations carry risks. So what?

Life is full of risks.

It's a balance of probabilities

Supporting the tory minister on this
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 04:10 PM #6
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Operations carry risks. So what?

Life is full of risks.

It's a balance of probabilities

Supporting the tory minister on this
Yes and the balance of probabilities is clear that vaccination is the right choice. Choice being the operative word. Enforcing it is a very, very slippery slope.

Just like if you need an operation, getting it is the right choice. I'd be pretty ****ing worried if doctors could just knock you out and put you under the knife without consent. Like I said, no one is ever going to convince me that taking away the right to bodily autonomy is a good idea, for any reason.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 27-09-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 27-09-2019, 04:29 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Where did you read they are to be banned from school?
I think its in Conservative Conference this Weekend Manchester
may go Front Page

Sorry its in a Paper (DM)
Was debated Live on Ch5HD AM
(I record it)

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/26/child...nated-9321592/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...e-out-14579302

Last edited by arista; 27-09-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 27-09-2019, 04:37 PM #8
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes and the balance of probabilities is clear that vaccination is the right choice. Choice being the operative word. Enforcing it is a very, very slippery slope.

Just like if you need an operation, getting it is the right choice. I'd be pretty ****ing worried if doctors could just knock you out and put you under the knife without consent. Like I said, no one is ever going to convince me that taking away the right to bodily autonomy is a good idea, for any reason.
Wouldn't this be done to protect children who are unable to be vaccinated, and as such, rely on herd immunisation to protect them?
Old 27-09-2019, 04:58 PM #9
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Do you have an article on this Arista? As I can't find one anywhere.

Personally I'm pro-vax but 100% against government mandated medical procedures. That's never going to change, I'm afraid.

It's also a debate that gives me a massive headache because the "facts" quoted by militant anti-vaxxer AND by militant pro-vaxxers are all utter ****ing nonsense. Rational debate on this went out of the window a LONG time ago. One side has kids dying instantly of brain swelling on being vaccinated - the other is screeching that everyone is going to die of chicken pox and insisting that childhood survival rates in the modern world are mainly down to vaccination. Hint: they are not, they are thanks to sanitation, antibiotics, hospital care and modern fever reduction and rehydration methods. This is well established statistical fact. But if you try mentioning that in a pro vax debate several people will unfailingly lose their heads and start bawling that we're all going to die of rubella, and that vaccines are 100% safe, which that are not. Go and get vaccine box and read the little leaflet inside.

I'm annoyed just thinking about it right now

Facts:

- Vaccines carry risks
- The effectiveness of vaccination is over-emphasised in terms of mortality reduction
- However, vaccine-preventable illnesses have a HIGHER RATE of risks of largely the same things as you'd get as a vaccine side-effect
- So vaccines ARE still a good idea if you understand anything about statistical risk. It's safer to have them than to not have them (by a long way)
- ...I'll still never advocate government-mandated medical procedures. Ever. Of any kind.
Can't disagree with any of this. Its utterly insane the way both sides go on in vax debates, its embarrassing sometimes. My kids are vaccinated, however, it was my choice to do so, just made the most sense. I did know there were (so small its almost negligible) risks but took the 'chance'.

I would not agree with vaccinations being forced on children tbh. Imagine you were made to do it and you were one of the unlucky few and the child had a bad reaction..just..doesn't seem right at all.

Not sure how I feel about banning unvaccinated kids from school either. What are the options? Given a child HAS to have an education legally? Would it be forcing parents to homeschool..something the huge majority of parents probably couldn't do anyway? IDK really..
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 04:59 PM #10
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Wouldn't this be done to protect children who are unable to be vaccinated, and as such, rely on herd immunisation to protect them?
Yes and also those who have had the MMR but have not developed immunity (which is also a larger proportion than is reported).

But that doesn't really matter because, like I said, I'm against removal of choice and bodily autonomy for any reason. We should encourage vaccination, emphatically, and always, the facts and figures back that up 100%. We should never be tempted to force it because it is a medical procedure, and sets a precedent for other government-mandated medical procedures. Given the state of the world / various governments right now, I have no idea why that prospect wouldn't horrify anyone.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:00 PM #11
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Yes and also those who have had the MMR but have not developed immunity (which is also a larger proportion than is reported).

But that doesn't really matter because, like I said, I'm against removal of choice and bodily autonomy for any reason. We should encourage vaccination, emphatically, and always, the facts and figures back that up 100%. We should never be tempted to force it because it is a medical procedure, and sets a precedent for other government-mandated medical procedures. Given the state of the world / various governments right now, I have no idea why that prospect wouldn't horrify anyone.
Yes, was going to say this in my post but didn't know how to phrase it..very very slippery slope..
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:03 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I agree with Arista, and it's not often I get to say that.

Yes its about once a year.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:04 PM #13
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Not sure how I feel about banning unvaccinated kids from school either. What are the options? Given a child HAS to have an education legally? Would it be forcing parents to homeschool..something the huge majority of parents probably couldn't do anyway? IDK really..
Well that's the point really, it's the disingenuous illusion of choice. "Oh of course you can still CHOOSE not to do it... your child will just have to be home-schooled and never attend public events". Which makes it not a choice, and tantamount to being mandatory, just with a caveat for people who are normally against such things to engage some cognitive dissonance and pretend that they're not going against their usual set of values... which a lot of people are willing to do, because certain institutions (mainly US big pharma that's spilled over into UK pop culture) have done a (very) good job of making people disproportionately terrified of communicable disease.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:07 PM #14
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

it's a stupid law if it comes in. If any unvaccinated kid goes to school there is a danger they get a disease, but there is a danger they would get it anywhere. They don't put vaccinated kids at risk, so, i just don't see the logic behind it.

Also, the way to keep your kid out of school will be to not vaccinate them, which creates another issue. It's just not thought through

Last edited by bitontheslide; 27-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:08 PM #15
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:

The state dictate many things for the public good.
Would you say highway code should be a choice?
Attending diabetic appointments a choice?
Old 27-09-2019, 05:11 PM #16
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
The state dictate many things for the public good.
Would you say highway code should be a choice?
Attending diabetic appointments a choice?
Trying to compare a medical procedure to road safety is nonsense, and attending an appointment for diabetes is a choice.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:14 PM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Also, the way to keep your kid out of school will be to not vaccinate them, which creates another issue. It's just not thought through
It also furthers a sub-culture where the homeschooled children of parents who didn't vaccinate are even LESS likely to vaccinate their own children, which will only compound the problem in a few generations.

The efforts should be (and always should have been) in honest, open education around the subject and explaining the benefits of vaccination truthfully. Instead the focus is on vilification, scare stories (ur kids will def die!!) and threats (u can't send ur kids 2 school!!) which frankly is just never going to work.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:18 PM #18
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Well that's the point really, it's the disingenuous illusion of choice. "Oh of course you can still CHOOSE not to do it... your child will just have to be home-schooled and never attend public events". Which makes it not a choice, and tantamount to being mandatory, just with a caveat for people who are normally against such things to engage some cognitive dissonance and pretend that they're not going against their usual set of values... which a lot of people are willing to do, because certain institutions (mainly US big pharma that's spilled over into UK pop culture) have done a (very) good job of making people disproportionately terrified of communicable disease.
Yeah this seems to be getting more and more common tbh, cognitive dissonance. Purposeful, in many cases I think.

Its not a choice at all if the option is they have to be homeschooled. As I said, so many parents simply could NOT homeschool. It is not as easy as many think it is. And thats before even getting into if the parent works and such..So thats obviously removing their choice entirely.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 27-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:21 PM #19
-

-

Really it's just all yet another great example of the extremism/tribalism we see absolutely everywhere these days.

The anti-vaxxer position is that the risk of vaccines is HUGE and thus, the risks associated with not vaccinating are worth taking.

The militant pro-vaxxer retort position is that the risks from vaccine preventable illness are HUGE or even semi-tongue-in-cheek(?) CERTAIN DEATH!!!... and that the risk with vaccination is ZERO.

ALL nonsense.

The truth is that the personal risk from the common illnesses we vaccinate against - even if you catch one - is very, very small. While the risk from vaccination exists but is statistically miniscule. Thus, vaccination is the rational, sensible choice.

I wish we'd spend more time explaining that, and less screeching about imagined threats and over the top fears.
Old 27-09-2019, 05:21 PM #20
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Vaccination should be mandatory

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:27 PM #21

I'm with TS on this....the thought that the government are dictating is a worry to me. My son is vaccinated, I wasn't until I was much older as my brother had convulsions after his immunisations and they refused to do me.

I know a lot.of people who opted for the private separate jabs but the thought didn't enter my head with my boy, I felt the benefits far out weighed the risks.

Education has to be the key with this and the anti vax rhetoric has to be shown for the rubbish it is
Old 27-09-2019, 06:02 PM #22
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Trying to compare a medical procedure to road safety is nonsense, and attending an appointment for diabetes is a choice.
I think you're making it into a big big brother like scenario.

It is just vaccines

Not buying this thin end of the wedge stuff
Old 27-09-2019, 09:57 PM #23
Banned

Banned

I hope it goes through, pro-disease people and their offspring should not be allowed around places in which their lack of immunity is a danger to others.

The whole movement is based on nothing but stupidity and narcissism.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:05 PM #24

Good!
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:34 PM #25
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I hope it goes through, pro-disease people and their offspring should not be allowed around places in which their lack of immunity is a danger to others.

The whole movement is based on nothing but stupidity and narcissism.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
banned, confirms, hancock, health, kids, school, sec, unvaccinated