Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-12-2019, 11:52 PM #101

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Jake View Post
The lake district doesnt need rowdy pubs and clubs to attract young people

The lake district, very close to me actually, is a beautiful scenic place and in fact places they have tried to make more tourist friendly such as windermere have lost a lot of the beautiful magic

There isnt much to do if your not in to walking, having picnics and admiring the gorgeous views so if that isnt your thing maybe try blackpool, liverpool or manchester

As for me I have loved visiting it since being a baby and I dont want it spoilt by chavvy tourism
I agree. A beautiful unspoilt area should stay that way - that's the attraction of the LD! Its as if there isn't hundreds of other places to choose from to holiday in..talk about taking diversity to extremes...that is just getting beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by jet; 30-12-2019 at 12:11 AM.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 03:19 AM #102
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I found it funny you missed my point yet again...but no matter...And no I didn’t mean buying a second property is a pastime Jesus H Christ i literally give up
OK no need to be rude cherie... :/
Old 30-12-2019, 03:43 AM #103
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
If you are going to call older people 'aging racist yuppies' then don't act all offended when someone reacts to your baiting.
I can make generalisations if I like ... however your rude offensive personal attack is baiting. Driven by nothing but your personal dislike of me. That's fine though, Im aware of it and I can't say it distracts me too much.
I'll still have my say.
Old 30-12-2019, 06:17 AM #104

arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 06:55 AM #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
You lol all you like.
The fact remains it is the LD that has the problem not Cornwall.
As a seafaring province Cornwall has always had contact with all nationalities and races.
Cornwall also has a lot more clement weather. The Lake District is beautiful....but also very bleak. More people are attracted to warmer climes I guess.
Old 30-12-2019, 07:07 AM #106

I think this discussion you're having shows how the social media / Twitter thing of reducing a story to a couple of sentences ends up missing the point of the issue. It was the Lake District tourist guy using words like 'diversity' and 'white', which seems to be trigger words to set off a 5-page debate.

It might be a help to copy and paste a whole article about the story. When you read it the main point of contention (which is being missed) seems to be how much car-access to allow in the area - whether to put down tarmac in a certain area.

Quote:
Lake District 'must change' to attract more diverse visitors

Gerard Tubb - North of England correspondent

Sunday 29 December 2019 15:58, UK

The head of the Lake District National Park Authority in Cumbria says the rugged landscape excludes too many people and must change to attract a more diverse mix of visitors.

His warning comes after attempts to make the UNESCO World Heritage site more inclusive have sparked a series of rows with conservationists.

The authority is facing a High Court judicial review in the New Year over its refusal to ban 4x4 vehicles from some fell trails, while Keswick Town Council has passed a vote of no confidence in it over the creation of a tarmac path through woodland.

"We need to be able to sell the national park to everybody in Britain, all society, and it's important that it doesn't just become exclusive to one single use group," he said.

"The moment we get into that position I think national parks start to lose their relevance and therefore the very reason for calling it a national park and spending public money."

Research shows visitors to the Lake District, where the rugged fells inspired the romantic poets and author Beatrix Potter, are too heavily weighted towards older, able-bodied white people.

But conservationists have accused the park authority of launching an attack on the beauty and tranquillity of the area.

A crowdfunding effort to challenge the authority's "refusal to stop 4x4s and motorbikes ruining one of the most beautiful places in England" has raised more than £30,000 and will go to the High Court in 2020.

Meanwhile, an £8m project to create an accessible multi-user trail with a tarmac surface between Keswick and Threlkeld has been condemned by Keswick Town Council.

The scheme, which will be completed at the end of 2020, was designed to replace a traditional stone-surfaced path that was destroyed by Storm Desmond in 2015.

Paul Titley, a businessman who retired to the Lake District and who is now Keswick's deputy mayor, believes visitors have no right to paths that aren't muddy and should accept the environment as it is or go elsewhere.

"We have a phenomenal selection of outdoor clothing shops here for a reason - come and buy them, come and put them on and get yourself out in the hills," he said.

"If you get wet it won't hurt you, if you get cold put something else on."

A government-commissioned report into the future of Britain's protected landscapes which was published in September 2019 criticised national parks for not doing enough to make people welcome.

The author, writer Julian Glover, described them as an "exclusive, mainly white, mainly middle‐class club, with rules only members understand and much too little done to encourage first-time visitors".

Mr Leafe told Sky News he sees the controversies in Cumbria as part of the debate about who national parks are for.

"We are deficient in terms of young people, we are deficient in terms of black and minority ethnic communities and we are not particularly well-visited by those who are less able in terms of their mobility," he said.

"Our challenge is to see what we can do to reverse that, to encourage people from broader backgrounds and a wider range of personal mobilities into the national park to be able to benefit in the same way that those other groups do."
https://news.sky.com/story/lake-dist...itors-11897034

Here's a nice picture for the Tapatalk thumbnail.

Loughrigg Tarn lake in the Lake District National Park, Cumbria.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skynews-lake-district-national-park_4878185.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	4805   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_5461440.png
Views:	63
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	4807  
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 08:56 AM #107
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
You lol all you like.
The fact remains it is the LD that has the problem not Cornwall.
As a seafaring province Cornwall has always had contact with all nationalities and races.
One person had said there is an issue, that doesn’t make it true

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 08:58 AM #108
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Cornwall also has a lot more clement weather. The Lake District is beautiful....but also very bleak. More people are attracted to warmer climes I guess.
We visited the Lakes before the kids were born, never felt the need to take them there, if families go on a day out or for a holiday in the UK they tend to head to the coast as there is a mixture of activities

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:00 AM #109
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think this discussion you're having shows how the social media / Twitter thing of reducing a story to a couple of sentences ends up missing the point of the issue. It was the Lake District tourist guy using words like 'diversity' and 'white', which seems to be trigger words to set off a 5-page debate.

It might be a help to copy and paste a whole article about the story. When you read it the main point of contention (which is being missed) seems to be how much car-access to allow in the area - whether to put down tarmac in a certain area.

yes i think i made the point about finding out what would fail to trigger the grant and addressing that small part as cost effectively as possible, which is what every other business does
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:08 AM #110

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I can make generalisations if I like ... however your rude offensive personal attack is baiting. Driven by nothing but your personal dislike of me. That's fine though, Im aware of it and I can't say it distracts me too much.
I'll still have my say.
Its not an offensive personal attack to point out that particular views label certain people and are narrow minded. Your own words did both.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:13 AM #111
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Thatchers youth... aging yuppies.
No they won't be racist at all

There's an issue with gentrification in the lakes I remember that being seen as an issue on my last visit, lots of places stood empty as they were 2nd homes in the country.
It would be impossible to say how to make the lakes more attractive or appealing, it is in essence natural reletively unspoiled beauty.
Where possible accessibility should be a priority and funding could be made available for this.

The issue of vehicles needs addressing again, huge 4x4 s are not suitable for those roads and are a danger.
How have you got the audacity to mention thatcher, when you still got that utter embarrassment of a labour leader in you dig is beyond belief.

This is not about politics it’s about moving with the times, if labour would of done that they might still be relevant.

Move with the times or be left behind.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 01:00 PM #112
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Its not an offensive personal attack to point out that particular views label certain people and are narrow minded. Your own words did both.
If it was the first time you had labelled me on this forum I could accept that but it isn't. Try holding yourself to your own standards.

I wont be responding to any more baiting, stick to the topic.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:07 PM #113
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
How have you got the audacity to mention thatcher, when you still got that utter embarrassment of a labour leader in you dig is beyond belief.

This is not about politics it’s about moving with the times, if labour would of done that they might still be relevant.

Move with the times or be left behind.
Again stick to the topic please ..
Old 30-12-2019, 01:13 PM #114
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

I did raise the 4x4 issue James, seems to me then that the lakes are being blackmailed ... they won't ban 4x4s so the next step is to widen paths to accommodate them in the name of 'accessibility' or lose funding.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:19 PM #115
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Again stick to the topic please ..
You should do the same then!
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 01:35 PM #116
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
The old people of today are the middle-aged of the nineties, to still perpetuate the myth of the "racist old people" is a bit disengenous.
This is the comment I reacted to.

The middle aged of the 90s were thatchers youth. The age of the yuppie and loadsamoney. ..

Why is it being asserted, as Oliver is here in this quote that this group are less likely to become racist old people?
They are as likely if not more so due to the demonisation of minorities in the 80s beginning with the Brixton riots.

This is a separate debate,if you want to discuss it start a thread and I'll happily contribute.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:39 PM #117

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:

The middle aged of the 90s were thatchers youth. The age of the yuppie and loadsamoney. ..

Why is it being asserted, as Oliver is here in this quote that this group are less likely to become racist old people?
They are as likely if not more so due to the demonisation of minorities in the 80s beginning with the Brixton riots.

This is a separate debate,if you want to discuss it start a thread and I'll happily contribute.

this is the funniest view I've ever read on here.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 01:42 PM #118
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Quote:

"due to the demonisation of minorities in the 80s beginning with the Brixton riots."

where are you getting that from??
Old 30-12-2019, 01:43 PM #119
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'Farmers say the number of 4x4 tours taking tourists between High Tilberthwaite and Langdale increased from 30 a month in 2004 to up to 400 a month in 2017, destroying the tranquillity of the valley and eroding landscape.

The decision was made despite an online petition of 300,000 signatures and arguments from the trust and The International Council.'

So private enterprise is being favoured over the rights of the people of the lakes?

Of course it is.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/l...ours-l8b9q7wz3

Last edited by Kizzy; 30-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 01:46 PM #120
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
"due to the demonisation of minorities in the 80s beginning with the Brixton riots."

where are you getting that from??
It's a well explored sociological perspective.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:49 PM #121
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Quote:
It's a well explored sociological perspective.
well lets see some links to those "studies"
Old 30-12-2019, 01:51 PM #122

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

The middle aged of the 90s were thatchers youth...

I was thatchers youth and was far from middle aged in the 90s fgs. 1 turned 30 in 2000.. more agism..nothing else.

Last edited by parmnion; 30-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:54 PM #123

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

1979 to 1990.....making me 9yr old to 20yr old from the day she left...

And making me no more than 30 when the 90s ended..

Is that middle aged now?...30...ffs...laughable..absolutely laughable.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:59 PM #124
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
well lets see some links to those "studies"
Google the Scarman report.
Old 30-12-2019, 02:01 PM #125
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
1979 to 1990.....making me 9yr old to 20yr old from the day she left...

And making me no more than 30 when the 90s ended..

Is that middle aged now?...30...ffs...laughable..absolutely laughable.
So you are an example of Thatchers youth...I'm not suggesting for a second that you personally are racist you understand.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
apparently, district, lake, not diverse enough