Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 PM #26
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
IM-
Do you actually have anything to add?

Quote:
Parents’ excessive use of mobile phones has been linked to increasing children’s behaviour problems in the world’s first study of its kind.

The research involving almost 200 families found that children whose parents were addicted to their phones were significantly more likely to have behaviour problems.

Some 40 per cent of the mothers and 32 per cent of the fathers admitted some form of phone addiction such as being unable to resist checking messages, always thinking about incoming calls or texts or simply feeling they used it too much.

This led to what the researchers dubbed “technoference” in their relationships with their children where their everyday interactions were interrupted by digital or mobile devices whether during face-to-face conversations or at meal or play times.

Over the six months of the study almost half the families reported such “technoference” happening at least three times a day, 24 per cent said it occurred twice a day and 17 per cent at least once. Only 11 per cent claimed to have no such interruptions.

The researchers found poor behaviour in the children was more closely linked to their mothers’ phone usage rather than the fathers’. This could be explained by the fact the children spent more time with their mothers who had fewer work commitments.

The more often parents reported experiencing technoference, the more behaviour problems they rated their children as displaying. These ranged from sulking, whining and displaying easily hurt feelings to hyperactivity, temper tantrums and becoming easily frustrated.

In interviews, the parents told the researchers, from Illinois State University and University of Michigan Medical School, they found it hard to multi-task between their children and mobile devices, making it more difficult to read and respond to child cues and to manage difficult behaviour.

Previous research by Dr Jenny Radesky, of Michigan University’s medical school, based on videos of 225 couples during meals, showed a significant decline in the quality of interactions between children and their mother when she had her phone out.

There was a fall of 20 per cent in verbal interactions, a 39 per cent drop in non-verbal communication and a 28 per cent decline in the mothers encouraging their children.

It was the same when she and her team observed parents on their phones at a fast food restaurant for another project: “Time and again we saw less conversation during parents’ tech use. They took longer to respond to their children and there was more conflict with the parents raising their voice, shoving children away and the children trying to escalate their behaviour.”

She said they could not rule out the possibility that parents used the technology to cope with the stress of dealing with their children. “In qualitative interviews, many stay-at-home mothers reported using digital technology as a way to ‘escape’ the boredom or frustrations of childrearing, or to regulate their own emotions,” she said.

The research has emerged as Manchester is to become the first authority in the UK to launch a public health campaign to tackle the breakdown in communication between parents and children caused by smart phones and other digital technology.

Health chiefs say children's speech and language development is under threat from parents spending too long on their mobile phones or being distracted by listening to digital devices on their headphones.

"You go around Manchester and Salford and see unbelievable attempts by children to communicate with the adult they are with but who is oblivious to them because they have headphones on. I find it very distressing," said Michelle Morris, one of Britain's leading speech and language therapists and a consultant at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust.

“If you are walking down a street and listening to music, you can’t really pay attention to what your child is doing. Unless the child says something very loudly or pulls on the adult, there’s no chance to communicate.

“The attempt to communicate goes unrewarded and the child could, in time, learn that there’s no point in talking. For little children, it is these multiple interactions with an adult through which it learns language and how to speak.”

The campaign will include nudge-style “texts” to parents suggesting how and when they could talk to their children such as at bath time, advice on when to ditch mobiles whether at meal-times or before going to bed as well as training for health visitors to provide guidance to families.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...g-behavioural/

To throw in some anecdotal, I work in a school for behaviour problems, and most of those who aren't (currently) diagnosed with ASD or similar often complain about their parents doing this.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:39 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Do you actually have anything to add?
To your simplistic and ridiculous "comments"? Nope. Not a thing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:41 PM #28
-

-

To be fair he's not incorrect, social media is a huge contributor to the increase in child and adolescent mental health problems and emotionally absent parents are another big factor - although, I'd say that there are parenting issues (such as addiction) that are far more pressing than "looking at their phone too much".

I also personally don't think we can overlook the fact that the world just isn't a particularly welcoming or friendly place right now... not sure why we're so baffled that kids are growing up unhappy?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:42 PM #29
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To your simplistic and ridiculous "comments"? Nope. Not a thing.
So I post an article to back up my thoughts, and it's just "ridiculous comments"? But you can't explain why? Fair enough.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 PM #30

Oh, he's not wrong in terms of contributing factors. Just he has a "thing" about this epidemic of parents replacing their children with phones. It's bordering on offensive and entirely ignorant of actually deep rooted issues.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 PM #31

Quote:
So I post an article to back up my thoughts, and it's just "ridiculous comments"? But you can't explain why? Fair enough.
If you need me to explain why saying "Parents go on their phone too much" in response to a child mental health issue is ridiculous there's nothing I can do for you I'm afraid.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 PM #32
-

-

Quote:
Oh, he's not wrong in terms of contributing factors. Just he has a "thing" about this epidemic of parents replacing their children with phones. It's bordering on offensive and entirely ignorant of actually deep rooted issues.
True, even when it does happen on a "chronic level" it's not like the parent just got a bit too fond of flappy bird. If someone is so glued to their phone that it's socially problematic, it's because they have an issue of their own... the inattentiveness is a symptom of the issue but not the issue itself.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:49 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
True, even when it does happen on a "chronic level" it's not like the parent just got a bit too fond of flappy bird. If someone is so glued to their phone that it's socially problematic, it's because they have an issue of their own... the inattentiveness is a symptom of the issue but not the issue itself.
Exactly. It's the modern day equivalent of blaming video games IMO.

Just demonises a section of people as materialistic and uncaring and not actually addressing the real reasons (ie. their own mental health problems).

Last edited by Marsh.; 02-01-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:53 AM #34
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Did you just use the "word" mansplain? Dear god

You asked if it was terminal, I told you the mortality rate
Who are you to tell me anything... where did you get your mortality rates?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:12 AM #35
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Who are you to tell me anything...

Quote:
where did you get your mortality rates?
https://www.mirasol.net/learning-cen...statistics.php

Old 03-01-2020, 10:15 AM #36
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
This is a private facility in America... How is this accurate or relevant here?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:25 AM #37
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
This is a private facility in America... How is this accurate or relevant here?
If you have a better source I'd love to see it

Either way, it shows that without treatment the mortality rate is 1/5(!!) and drops to a tenth of that with treatment, so I'd say it's a pretty good argument in providing the service.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:58 AM #38
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If you need me to explain why saying "Parents go on their phone too much" in response to a child mental health issue is ridiculous there's nothing I can do for you I'm afraid.
Quote:
Exactly. It's the modern day equivalent of blaming video games IMO.

Just demonises a section of people as materialistic and uncaring and not actually addressing the real reasons (ie. their own mental health problems).
At no point did I say every parent who excessively uses their phone is being neglectful and/or causing their kids' problems; nor did I say every child with behavioural or other problems were caused by phone use. I was clearly theorising that in some cases, that was a possible cause.

Along with cyberbullying and "instagram culture"

Or just maybe the rise of both social media and mental health issues is just a coincidence...

Old 03-01-2020, 12:49 PM #39
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
If you have a better source I'd love to see it

Either way, it shows that without treatment the mortality rate is 1/5(!!) and drops to a tenth of that with treatment, so I'd say it's a pretty good argument in providing the service.

As a matter of fact I do..
Eating disorders have the highest mortality rates among psychiatric disorders.*(10)

Anorexia Nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder in adolescence.*(11)

Of those surviving, 50% recover, whereas 30% improve and 20% remain chronically ill.*(12)

http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/about/statistics

Last edited by Kizzy; 03-01-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:56 PM #40
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do..
Eating disorders have the highest mortality rates among psychiatric disorders.*(10)

Anorexia Nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder in adolescence.*(11)

Of those surviving, 50% recover, whereas 30% improve and 20% remain chronically ill.*(12)

http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/about/statistics
Doesn't contradict what I said my source said the mortality rate of anorexia is 1/5, you didn't quote any mortality rate.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:18 PM #41
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Deleted some posts in here, please stop getting personal and insulting each other, you can disagree with each others points without doing that

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:18 PM #42

The story in the original post doesn't surprise me because a main priority in health spending is care for the elderly. If you look at the figures from the last 20 years mortality rates have gone down, and it means that they are dealing with more chronic conditions in an ageing population.

Also when this topic came up on the forum recently I suggested private mental health therapy was something worth looking into if you need it.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:31 PM #43
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The story in the original post doesn't surprise me because a main priority in health spending is care for the elderly. If you look at the figures from the last 20 years mortality rates have gone down, and it means that they are dealing with more chronic conditions in an ageing population.

Also when this topic came up on the forum recently I suggested private mental health therapy was something worth looking into if you need it.
The cons taking care of their aging electorate, nothing new there
They have nothing to offer to the young but high house prices, gig economy and paid higher education
If only the young voted as religiously as the old...but they don't

But whichever way you look at it less beds in mental health than 10 years ago is a crime. The less said about availability of therapy sessions the better.

Private care is for the rich, not as an option for all bc nhs has been brought to its knees
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:41 PM #44
You know my methods

You know my methods

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
The cons taking care of their aging electorate, nothing new there
They have nothing to offer to the young but high house prices, gig economy and paid higher education
If only the young voted as religiously as the old...but they don't

But whichever way you look at it less beds in mental health than 10 years ago is a crime. The less said about availability of therapy sessions the better.

Private care is for the rich, not as an option for all bc nhs has been brought to its knees
The NHS is not "on its knees" as that is a fake news twitter line that the British electorate did not believe and voted against extreme left wing people who trotted that out a lot during the election.

People can judge the NHS by their use of it and did hence the reason labour's awful "NHS" tactic just backfired on them to the point where they are now at sixes and sevens with no leader and no real vision

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:44 PM #45
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Doesn't contradict what I said my source said the mortality rate of anorexia is 1/5, you didn't quote any mortality rate.
I posted some information relevant to the UK, no matter... let's go with your 'stats' that show that 1 in 5 people with anorexia die.
Therefore in those cases anorexia is teminal, which proves my original point.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:46 PM #46
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

I will admit I go private for my mental health, but that's not at the recommendation of my GP or anything, just with everything else I have going on health-wise and my line of work, I think it best.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:47 PM #47
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I posted some information relevant to the UK, no matter... let's go with your 'stats' that show that 1 in 5 people with anorexia die.
Therefore in those cases anorexia is teminal, which proves my original point.
I was actually agreeing with you I absolutely think it should be treated quickly as possible.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:10 PM #48

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
The NHS is not "on its knees" as that is a fake news twitter line that the British electorate did not believe and voted against extreme left wing people who trotted that out a lot during the election.

People can judge the NHS by their use of it and did hence the reason labour's awful "NHS" tactic just backfired on them to the point where they are now at sixes and sevens with no leader and no real vision

parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
10, care, children, gps, mentally, private, seeking, suggest