Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:22 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Starbuck’s ad featuring trans man...’every name’s a story’...

Starbucks has been praised for its advert featuring a transgender man, which was launched in support of trans youth charity Mermaids.

The advert depicts a young man struggling with being called his “deadname” (the name he was assigned at birth), before going to the coffee shop and asking for a drink for James.

Trans and non-binary Twitter users have praised the advert as “spot on”, with a few people explaining that they used their new names for the first time in public at a Starbucks branch.

The advert promotes Starbucks’ new project, #WhatsYourName, which celebrates trans and non-binary people as they use their new names.

Lucy Clark, the world’s first trans professional football referee, commented on the significance of ordering a coffee with her name.

She told the PA news agency: “They are spot on with their advert. Little things like this mean so much.

“Names and pronouns are important and this is a real positive step. Small things like this mean so much to trans people.

“I know for me the first time [ordering with her name] was a special time and I am sure it will be magical for many others.”

Cam, a freelance creator, told PA: “It [the advert] really hit home… To people outside of the situation, being called the name you choose may seem like it’s not a big deal, but hearing isn’t just affirming.

“Every time someone uses my deadname there is an ache, and it’s there for as long as I have to conform to who people think I should be based on my assigned gender. When my real name gets used, that ache goes away.

“The Starbucks ad really represented it well. I couldn’t help but tear up at the end.

“It is beautifully and thoughtfully done, and I really do believe that this sort of representation can make a huge impact on today’s trans youth.”

The coffee chain partnered with Mermaids with the aim of raising £100,000 for their helpline through the sale of Mermaid tail-shaped biscuits.

Announcing the advert on January 31, Starbucks said: “We were moved to discover that individuals find our stores a safe space to try out their new names when transitioning.

“Starbucks’ #whatsyourname campaign celebrates this signature act and the significance it can have for some transgender and gender diverse people as they use their new name in public.”

The advert won Channel 4’s Diversity in Advertising competition, with a prize of £1m of commercial airtime.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 AM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

I've been demanding to be called Stephanie by Starbuck's but instead they called me Campaign to Unify the Nation Trophy.

Being serious well done to Starbuck's, not only was she a great character in BSG, but now she is trying to make a difference as a Coffee Shop.

But really being serious now, it's good to see that some businesses are showing that not all Trans people are monsters, because the Media very rarely ever comes to their defence.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:22 AM #3
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

They still need to pay their taxes but it's a nice touch!

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:42 AM #4
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

Cute ad

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:56 AM #5
-

-

Erhhhhh it's a decent ad but... there are some issues with the Mermaids organisation. They are clashing quite hard with child mental health services and, from what I hear, are significantly more concerned with adult trans rights than they are with the actual wellbeing of children and adolescents.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:04 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...well I guess that they more deal with all aspects...the rights as well as..?...I’ve only ever had one occasion to have any feedback about them from a children’s mental healthcare worker...it was the first time that I became aware of them...the feedback was really complimentary in the input of both organisations for the child concerned...that’s all I have to go on really...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:46 AM #7
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Erhhhhh it's a decent ad but... there are some issues with the Mermaids organisation. They are clashing quite hard with child mental health services and, from what I hear, are significantly more concerned with adult trans rights than they are with the actual wellbeing of children and adolescents.
Yep.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:55 AM #8

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

So a company that fails in its tax contributions is awarded with 1m quids worth of free advertising...

You couldn't make it up.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:19 AM #9
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...well I guess that they more deal with all aspects...the rights as well as..?...I’ve only ever had one occasion to have any feedback about them from a children’s mental healthcare worker...it was the first time that I became aware of them...the feedback was really complimentary in the input of both organisations for the child concerned...that’s all I have to go on really...
In short, the issue is that they push the idea that any study / research into the best mental health approaches when it comes to children expressing gender identity issues is akin to questioning the validity of transexuality... They advocate a "if a child expresses any inclination that they might be trans, immediately consider them trans" approach when there is literally zero evidence base for that being the right approach, and a huge amount of evidence to suggest that pre-adolescent children are very unlikely to have any real concept of gender identity... And these are often not just average pre-adolescents, they're pre-adolescents who are actively engaging with CAHMS services and often have various mental health concerns, trauma, etc. There are some absolutely MASSIVE informed consent issues.

I personally have to draw a hard line there; adults are free to campaign for adult rights on whatever political grounds they want, but people with no qualifications, and not even an evidence base to offer, seeking to influence child mental health policy? Not great. Also some questionable/unprofessional tactics used to try to push the issue.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
So a company that fails in its tax contributions is awarded with 1m quids worth of free advertising...

You couldn't make it up.
We all know by now that corporate businesses are above the law sadly when it comes to these things.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 AM #11
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
In short, the issue is that they push the idea that any study / research into the best mental health approaches when it comes to children expressing gender identity issues is akin to questioning the validity of transexuality... They advocate a "if a child expresses any inclination that they might be trans, immediately consider them trans" approach when there is literally zero evidence base for that being the right approach, and a huge amount of evidence to suggest that pre-adolescent children are very unlikely to have any real concept of gender identity... And these are often not just average pre-adolescents, they're pre-adolescents who are actively engaging with CAHMS services and often have various mental health concerns, trauma, etc. There are some absolutely MASSIVE informed consent issues.

I personally have to draw a hard line there; adults are free to campaign for adult rights on whatever political grounds they want, but people with no qualifications, and not even an evidence base to offer, seeking to influence child mental health policy? Not great. Also some questionable/unprofessional tactics used to try to push the issue.
This is where I have an issue with gender basically replacing sex. Gender is societal "norms" for men/women and is pretty sexist (something women have been trying to quash for years and now it's like a step back into the past thanks to "gender") If we're pushing gender norms as a way to decipher if a person is trans then you're going to have alot of wrong diagnoses.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ad, featuring, man’every, name’s, starbuck’s, story’, trans