Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 02:52 AM   #26
Marsh.
User banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 77,924


Default

I really don't see how the show or character can be ruined by being a woman, when the character has not changed at all in the gender swap.

Maybe you just don't enjoy Jodie Whittaker in the role? In which case that wouldn't be the gender swap being to blame, just the choice of actor.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #27
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,105
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Honestly I think the most jarring part of the Doctor Who change is that the JW Doc is much more similar to the Tennant and Smith doctors, and not at all like the Capaldi doctor, but there are valid in-universe explanations for why that would be, as there have been for all of the regens since the reboot.

Eccleston turns into Tennant because he has a cheeky boner for Rose so he becomes a younger, more modern, more fashionable doctor. It all kind of goes to **** for Tennant so he becomes a wackier, more childish, irreverent doctor in Smith who goes through several war-like, universe-ending scenarios, gets gradually angrier and more jaded and literally much "older" which ends up being reflected in his transition to Capaldi, who starts off angry, lonely, uncaring and quite selfish but "heals and learns" over time before regenerating into the much lighter and more "Tennant and Smith like" Whittaker who has a focus on being surrounded by people and family. Unfortunately, the Brady bunch companions don't necessarily WORK very well, and it's a huge part of the clunky writing, but still - all of the lore works fine.

Sorry, I'm aware this is a Bond thread.
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________




Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-09-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Toy Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #28
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42,803

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

The main thing letting JW's Doctor down is the writing. They write her too much as an idiot who doesn't know what's going on half the time and relies on deux ex machinas to figure it out, which is a really ****ing poor choice on the writer's part to make this doctor in particular seem incompetent. I wish we got to see Jodie handle Russell T. Davies or Moffett's writing, it's insulting how badly written she is under Chibnall.

Jodie elevates the material she gets but you can't polish a turd.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #29
Toy Soldier
Volcanic Protector Man
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 23,105
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The main thing letting JW's Doctor down is the writing. They write her too much as an idiot who doesn't know what's going on half the time and relies on deux ex machinas to figure it out, which is a really ****ing poor choice on the writer's part to make this doctor in particular seem incompetent. I wish we got to see Jodie handle Russell T. Davies or Moffett's writing, it's insulting how badly written she is under Chibnall.

Jodie elevates the material she gets but you can't polish a turd.
I agree as if anything, the Tennant-Smith-Capaldi doctors became MORE knowledgeable and competent over those runs (as you would expect, given the doctor more than doubled, possibly trebled in age over that run) but then JW is often written like she's a n00b . Almost as though the writers forgot that it isn't a "new" doctor, it's a doctor with all of the cumulative experience of all the previous doctors. I think they've aimed for a more humble character which was absolutely the right way to go (as the plot up to that point was an increasing arrogance that was then slowly broken down in Capaldi) but instead of more humble, they landed on less competent which makes no sense.
__________________
___________________________________
I smile and I say that the world is just fine,
as these ****ing parasites eat up my spine,
So I ask you once, and I ask you again;
Where do your roots start,
And where do your roots end?
___________________________________




Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-09-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Toy Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #30
Marsh.
User banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 77,924


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Honestly I think the most jarring part of the Doctor Who change is that the JW Doc is much more similar to the Tennant and Smith doctors, and not at all like the Capaldi doctor, but there are valid in-universe explanations for why that would be, as there have been for all of the regens since the reboot.

Eccleston turns into Tennant because he has a cheeky boner for Rose so he becomes a younger, more modern, more fashionable doctor. It all kind of goes to **** for Tennant so he becomes a wackier, more childish, irreverent doctor in Smith who goes through several war-like, universe-ending scenarios, gets gradually angrier and more jaded and literally much "older" which ends up being reflected in his transition to Capaldi, who starts off angry, lonely, uncaring and quite selfish but "heals and learns" over time before regenerating into the much lighter and more "Tennant and Smith like" Whittaker who has a focus on being surrounded by people and family. Unfortunately, the Brady bunch companions don't necessarily WORK very well, and it's a huge part of the clunky writing, but still - all of the lore works fine.

Sorry, I'm aware this is a Bond thread.
Oh I never thought of it like that. That's quite clever. And Smith did always nail that "old man in a young man's body" vibe too.

Last edited by Marsh.; 21-09-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #31
Zizu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,081
Default

Loads of reports that Harry Styles odds are shortening by the day ..

Surely not the next Bond !?!?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #32
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 9,605

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The main thing letting JW's Doctor down is the writing. They write her too much as an idiot who doesn't know what's going on half the time and relies on deux ex machinas to figure it out, which is a really ****ing poor choice on the writer's part to make this doctor in particular seem incompetent. I wish we got to see Jodie handle Russell T. Davies or Moffett's writing, it's insulting how badly written she is under Chibnall.

Jodie elevates the material she gets but you can't polish a turd.
Similar to Colin Baker, he had potential to be an awesome Doc but most of stories were just garbage. JW is fine, I don't think she's so good that she elevates the material, but she deserves better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I agree as if anything, the Tennant-Smith-Capaldi doctors became MORE knowledgeable and competent over those runs (as you would expect, given the doctor more than doubled, possibly trebled in age over that run) but then JW is often written like she's a n00b . Almost as though the writers forgot that it isn't a "new" doctor, it's a doctor with all of the cumulative experience of all the previous doctors. I think they've aimed for a more humble character which was absolutely the right way to go (as the plot up to that point was an increasing arrogance that was then slowly broken down in Capaldi) but instead of more humble, they landed on less competent which makes no sense.
Clever! Yeah the others did have a "through-line" so it's like Doc suddenly became stupid for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Loads of reports that Harry Styles odds are shortening by the day ..

Surely not the next Bond !?!?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That'd be awesome! Hope he gets plenty of beach scenes
__________________


Some of my favourite comicbook pages! Click on it to see them bigger!! The theme is "inspiration" ... sort of
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #33
Kazanne
kazanne
 
Kazanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gerard Butlers Undercrackersx
Posts: 59,275

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford
BB18: Kieran
CBB19: Calum Best


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Loads of reports that Harry Styles odds are shortening by the day ..

Surely not the next Bond !?!?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh,I might actually watch it then , I also would have done if Gerard Butler took the part,he was short listed a few years back,but he's probably too old now.
__________________

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bond, hardy, role, tom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:38 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts