Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 04:48 PM #126

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
Look at her mouthing the words ‘smile for the camera’
What a malicious controlling bitch!
Awww, that was back in the day when Harry looked genuinely happy and we were all thrilled for them. I thought she was perfect for him then as most did and their popularity was sky high....such promise ahead....
Oh well.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:49 PM #127

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Lovely to see them do this in SUpport of Donald

Take that BIG TECH
Old 11-01-2021, 04:54 PM #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn. View Post
Look at her mouthing the words ‘smile for the camera’
What a malicious controlling bitch!

I know...poor Harry
Old 11-01-2021, 05:08 PM #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Academia is not the be all and end all. Harry fought on the front line....he has given injured veterans purpose with Invictus....all worth more than a few qualifications imo.
But... but.... they need qualifications to work with Netflix.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:34 PM #130
Banned

Banned

Honestly, the media intent on painting her as some controlling conniving manipulator and the gammon that provides such narratives with enough clicks to keep it going reeks of racism and misogyny. I'll never forget the pregnancy coverage comparison between Meghan and Kate, how Kate was 'glowing' and how Meghan was an attention seeker for holding her belly... One is a white english woman, the other a mixed race American and it would be incredibly naive to think that doesn't affect the coverage at all.

Harry is a grown ass man, he is not some little boy under an enchantress' spell. She's not some evil villain. Considering everything he went through as a kid and throughout his life, it's no real wonder that Harry doesn't really want to be a royal, that he wants to be in a position to engage the press on his own terms. Would you? I certainly wouldn't be a royal if I grew up with his baggage.

Honestly, I couldn't care if we never heard from them again but the pure vitriol is disturbing and hypocritical, considering what happened to Diana and how the press ended up destroying her. The same people who raise up Diana on a pedestal are the same people who will trash Meghan for breathing and will be the same people who will disingenuously post #bekind if the pressure proves too much for Meghan... It's all just ****ing hideous.

Last edited by Tom4784; 11-01-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 PM #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Honestly, the media intent on painting her as some controlling conniving manipulator and the gammon that provides such narratives with enough clicks to keep it going reeks of racism and misogyny. I'll never forget the pregnancy coverage comparison between Meghan and Kate, how Kate was 'glowing' and how Meghan was an attention seeker for holding her belly... One is a white english woman, the other a mixed race American and it would be incredibly naive to think that doesn't affect the coverage at all.

Harry is a grown ass man, he is not some little boy under an enchantress' spell. She's not some evil villain. Considering everything he went through as a kid and throughout his life, it's no real wonder that Harry doesn't really want to be a royal, that he wants to be in a position to engage the press on his own terms. Would you? I certainly wouldn't be a royal if I grew up with his baggage.

Honestly, I couldn't care if we never heard from them again but the pure vitriol is disturbing and hypocritical, considering what happened to Diana and how the press ended up destroying her. The same people who raise up Diana on a pedestal are the same people who will trash Meghan for breathing and will be the same people who will disingenuously post #bekind if the pressure proves too much for Meghan... It's all just ****ing hideous.
Yeah, the same rags that spouted "Be Kind" after Flack's suicide, despite being the very ones knocking her down. Just a cesspit.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:54 AM #132

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Following some discussion here about the latest series of the Crown - Interesting article about the creator and social media...

SIMON JENKINS: The Crown's creator loathes the Royal Family and he's playing with fire by titillating the public with fake history

Netflix’s latest season of The Crown opens with a warning of ‘scenes of an eating disorder which some viewers may find troubling’. There is no mention of a truth disorder.
Did the Royal Family humiliate Mrs Thatcher at Balmoral? No. Did Charles phone Camilla every day after marrying Diana. No. Did the Queen have relatives locked in a mental hospital to avoid embarrassment? No.
These and other falsities are not colour to flesh out a Royal docudrama. They are lies aimed at falsely accusing public figures. Do they matter? Does truth matter?
Anyone seeking to titillate the public with fabricated history plays with fire. Apologists for the latest Ł97 million season of The Crown argue that Royalty has long been the butt of satirical fiction.
It can take global ridicule for public entertainment in its stride. If Camilla suffers a vicious troll attack, she can handle it.

The creator of the series, Peter Morgan, was probably right to think himself in the clear. He was not offending a sensitive minority or overtly promoting hate speech.
He was making reportedly the most lavish television series in history, with a vast Hollywood corporation behind him and the bullet-proof vest of ‘artistic licence’ to silence critics.

To the meticulous historian of Royalty, Hugo Vickers, the episodes are so drenched in inaccuracy – eight false scenes in the first episode of the latest series alone – that the fact that some victims are dead hardly dilutes his outrage. Many are not.
The Crown accuses the 99-year-old Prince Philip of serial infidelity, involvement in the Profumo affair and threatening Diana if she leaves Charles that ‘it won’t end well’.

In 1960, the Duke of Edinburgh and an Australian Royal press secretary William Heseltine decided to ‘rebrand’ the Monarchy as a ‘Royal Family’, a happy couple and lovable quartet of children.
They should have known where it would end, in a raging global soap opera. The world would hang on every titbit of gossip and scandal.
What was first screened on TV as a demure Balmoral barbecue has led inexorably to an eternal upmarket version of Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
Representing living people ‘on stage’ is always dangerous, drama’s last resort. It is ‘sexing up’ fiction with the gold-dust of reality to help suspend disbelief.
Newsreels of real events, such as Ulster’s Bloody Sunday are inserted into The Crown to promote verisimilitude.
Emma Corrin claims to have realised from the script that the Diana she was playing ‘was a fictionalised character’.
That did not stop her poring over Diana recordings ‘to perfect the intonations and inflections in her voice’. She fooled the world.

I admired Morgan’s film of The Queen about the Palace’s reaction to the death of Diana. It reconstructed the events in Buckingham Palace and Downing Street with what seemed meticulous care.
Helen Mirren made a superb and plausible Queen, despite the cheap metaphor of Diana as a dead stag, an image lamely repeated in The Crown. It was plain that researched accuracy to known events was the most effective vehicle for the truth.
Morgan has not challenged Vickers’ – or anyone’s – charge of falsehood. He has instead piously declared that ‘sometimes you have to forsake accuracy, but you must never forsake truth’. His victims might reasonably ask what is the difference.

This is nothing to do with artistic licence, whatever that means. The clear intention of the latest season of The Crown is to convey the impression of a thoroughly nasty Royal Family in some way responsible for Diana’s death.
Anyone wanting to make a drama about a dysfunctional royal family could have used a fictional one. I suspect no one would have watched.
Equally, Morgan could have made The Crown without defamatory fabrications – as he succeeded in doing in The Queen. I think plenty would have watched.
But he was clearly consumed by his own fantasies and driven by a loathing of the Royal Family. He made Princess Margaret truly nasty and Olivia Colman’s Queen a sour-faced prig.

Most outrageous, he made Prince Philip detest Diana, which he did not, and deliver her a final, menacing threat.
The hijacking of history to prop up a good tale may be as old as the hills. Oliver Stone’s movie JFK ‘proved’ that Lyndon Johnson conspired to assassinate President Kennedy.

It grossed Ł149 million and I know plenty of informed people who found it convincing.
The same applied to the endlessly cited historical travesty, Shakespeare’s Richard III. The films Braveheart and The Patriot monstrously traduced Britain for Nazi-style imperial atrocities, both par for Hollywood in the past.
So, too, were the countless films on which I was brought up, implying that Britain fought Hitler alone. They are still shown nightly on British television.
Morgan’s defenders argue that sensible people will not have believed his inaccuracies and that the general message of the series – that the rest of the Royal Family had it in for Diana – was the truth.

I am sure obsessive Royal-watchers can separate truth from falsehood while anti-Royalists will wallow in confirmation bias.
But the message for millions round the world – with no regular source of information about Britain’s Royal Family – is that The Crown is the gospel truth. Let’s just say that is a pity.

Journalists writing ‘the first rough draft of history’ are forbidden knowingly to invent facts. If they do – whether by accident or design – they are subject to public correction or a court of law.
If they were to cry ‘artistic licence’ for phone hacking or ‘free speech’ for causing offence or inciting hatred, they would be pilloried, fined or jailed.
A Ł97 million Hollywood contract and an uncontrollable urge to insult a monarch would not, at least in Britain, be a plausible defence.

For me, history can look after itself. Only Richard III’s descendants need complain about Shakespeare’ portrayal of him, as they still do with vigour.
When the makers of Darkest Hour wanted to massage Churchill’s outdated views on race by having him chat about poetry to a black man on the London Tube, we all just laughed.
The rich and famous can, mostly, handle their own reputations, though goodness knows what demons Hollywood has in store for Donald Trump.
But I am worried for truth, especially the truth about the present day. When we are given a version that is biased rubbish – to make a profit or push a political creed – we must be on guard. Is the death of Diana now to feed every conspiracy theorist?
I am sure the Moscow hackers who savaged Hillary Clinton and the Chinese ones who invent crimes by Hong Kong dissidents would happily go along with Morgan, sustaining inaccuracy as justified in the cause of a higher truth. It is the motto of fake news.
Social media has made a step-change in public attitudes to the outside world. If it is on my screen it must be true.
Right-wing conspiracy theorists, Left-wing saboteurs, anti-vaxxers, trolls, offence-spotters and woke invigilators are enjoying an open season, set free to besiege truth from all sides.

They need fear no editorial pencil. At the click of a send button, the proverbial lie is round the world in seconds before truth can get its boots on.
Painfully slowly, social media is at last coming under regulatory gaze. Platforms will soon face a clear editorial duty to police the material they brazenly publish – as newspapers and publishers have long had to do.
Heaven forbid if this leads to a return to state censorship. But truth must have protection if the public realm is not to be swamped with lies.
In the case of The Crown, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden wants Netflix to precede each episode with a warning that ‘some scenes are fictional’. Why not, if they can warn about bulimia? But which scenes would it mean?
Why not just tell the truth?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ying-fire.html
Old 14-01-2021, 06:19 AM #133

Don't see the relevance that article has to this thread. Would've been better in one about The Crown.

Anyone who watches any dramatisation of historical events and is expecting a history lesson based only in fact is foolish.

Last edited by Marsh.; 14-01-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 14-01-2021, 10:11 AM #134

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

The hashtag 'Bekind' didn't last long, oh wait i forgot it doesn't apply to the ' Devil 'woman Meghan .
Old 14-01-2021, 12:16 PM #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
The hashtag 'Bekind' didn't last long, oh wait i forgot it doesn't apply to the ' Devil 'woman Meghan .

If you are going down the hashtag 'bekind' route everytime someone posts a negative comment about Meghan...you will need to balance it out and quote it to everyone who has a negative opinion on anyone.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:16 PM #136

Interesting read Jet...thank you.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:26 PM #137
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
If you are going down the hashtag 'bekind' route everytime someone posts a negative comment about Meghan...you will need to balance it out and quote it to everyone who has a negative opinion on anyone.
There's a difference between having a negative opinion about someone and the hatred that Meghan gets.

It's not normal.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:31 PM #138
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
There's a difference between having a negative opinion about someone and the hatred that Meghan gets.

It's not normal.
Yeah it’s not normal to criticise someone for saying “my husband and I”
It’s not normal to criticise people making money from deals
It’s not normal to pretend you know their marriage...
It’s not normal to criticise Harry for speaking about his mother... as someone who has lost a parent, talking about it helped me and I guess Harry talking about it is his way of dealing with that.

Spoiler:

Old 14-01-2021, 12:32 PM #139

Quote:

It's not normal.

But the Worse moment
was Harry caught on a Microphone
asking the Disney CEO
to give his wife a job.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:33 PM #140
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
But the Worse moment
was Harry caught on a Microphone
asking the Disney CEO
to give his wife a job.
Many people do that (ask to give someone a job that is)

Spoiler:

Old 14-01-2021, 12:34 PM #141

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Rusti I've been around a long time , and I've seen all sorts of comments that I don't always agree with .

And it's blatingly obvious when people get unfairly treated , JK Rowling being another one . Who's now painted as some 'evil witch ' .

This cancel culture has gone too far IMO . And should be saved for people who have actually done and said horrible things like Trump & Hopkins just to name a few .
Old 14-01-2021, 12:48 PM #142

Quote:
Rusti I've been around a long time , and I've seen all sorts of comments that I don't always agree with .

And it's blatingly obvious when people get unfairly treated , JK Rowling being another one . Who's now painted as some 'evil witch ' .

This cancel culture has gone too far IMO . And should be saved for people who have actually done and said horrible things like Trump & Hopkins just to name a few .

Meghan does not get 'hatred' on here though. Certainly people dislike her, including me. As soon as anyone speaks negetively about Meghan and Harry they get accused of being 'unkind' and 'spewing hatred'. Its pathetic.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:56 PM #143

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Meghan does not get 'hatred' on here though. Certainly people dislike her, including me. As soon as anyone speaks negetively about Meghan and Harry they get accused of being 'unkind' and 'spewing hatred'. Its pathetic.
You can dislike who you like , we all can . But it seems Meghan can't cough without it being a problem .
Old 14-01-2021, 02:12 PM #144

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is. I think people must be reading other sites or comment sections in the tabloids, get angry, and then come here and take it out on posters who dislike her for their own valid reasons calling us haters and obsessives. I've even been called a racist and misogynist. It's ridiculous.

I think too that some people who ‘defend’ Meghan really couldn’t care less about her but are using her to further their own ideas about how racist the uk is and their anger against white privilege and elitists.....it is rare for anyone to bother to say WHY they like her and why they disagree with those who don't.

Last edited by jet; 14-01-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 14-01-2021, 02:35 PM #145
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
It is. I think people must be reading other sites or comment sections in the tabloids, get angry, and then come here and take it out on posters who dislike her for their own valid reasons calling us haters and obsessives. I've even been called a racist and misogynist. It's ridiculous.

I think too that some people who ‘defend’ Meghan really couldn’t care less about her but are using her to further their own ideas about how racist the uk is and their anger against white privilege and elitists.....it is rare for anyone to bother to say WHY they like her and why they disagree with those who don't.
One does not have to "like" Megan Markle or, really, know anything about her at all to see that the obsessive dislike she gets from certain groups and individuals is massively unreasonable and disproportionate.
Old 14-01-2021, 02:40 PM #146
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
One does not have to "like" Megan Markle or, really, know anything about her at all to see that the obsessive dislike she gets from certain groups and individuals is massively unreasonable and disproportionate.
it's only massively unreasonable and disproportionate to those that want to take issue with the comments. Coming from a place of not giving a toss what Meghan and Harry do, i find it par for the course. So many public figures have their lives dissected on here good and bad
Old 14-01-2021, 02:46 PM #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
it's only massively unreasonable and disproportionate to those that want to take issue with the comments. Coming from a place of not giving a toss what Meghan and Harry do, i find it par for the course. So many public figures have their lives dissected on here good and bad

You have hit the nail on the head...
Old 14-01-2021, 04:00 PM #148

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Exactly

And it seems Harry & Meghan quitting social media is an issue for people. So once again it confirms it all .
Old 14-01-2021, 04:16 PM #149

Quote:
Exactly

And it seems Harry & Meghan quitting social media is an issue for people. So once again it confirms it all .

Its not an issue...its a topic of debate. Simples.
Old 14-01-2021, 04:25 PM #150

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Exactly

I don't think it makes any difference, the most recent social media activity from them was on Instagram in March 2020.
No need to announce anything really.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
harry, media, meghan, quit, social