Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 16-02-2021, 10:11 AM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
Absolutely ridiculous sentencing and I can’t believe the amount of people I’ve seen jumping to the defence of the man on social media.
It's a fairly commonly held belief that if someone is murdered or harmed by their partner, they "must have" done something to provoke or deserve it, even if that's just "failure to leave". But if friends and family of the perpetrator are saying they're shocked - then it has to be the former. Provocation.

The reason is pretty obvious - if people don't believe that it was provoked, then they have to believe that the victim didn't see it coming, and thus, it could happen to them without them seeing it coming. "That could never happen to ME, because..." ... they must be able to tell themselves.

So if friends and family of someone who chokes their wife to death say he's always been a nice man and a good person who would never just randomly do this, then he must indeed be that (they think), and yet he did it, so there must be "other reasons".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:13 AM #27
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's a fairly commonly held belief that if someone is murdered or harmed by their partner, they "must have" done something to provoke or deserve it, even if that's just "failure to leave". But if friends and family of the perpetrator are saying they're shocked - then it has to be the former. Provocation.

The reason is pretty obvious - if people don't believe that it was provoked, then they have to believe that the victim didn't see it coming, and thus, it could happen to them without them seeing it coming. "That could never happen to ME, because..." ... they must be able to tell themselves.

So if friends and family of someone who chokes their wife to death say he's always been a nice man and a good person who would never just randomly do this, then he must indeed be that (they think), and yet he did it, so there must be "other reasons".
Which is in reality is victim blaming at it's worst.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:23 AM #28
0_o

0_o

Yeah I hate the 'hardworking patient family guy, friendly to all, lovely bloke, we dont know what happened?!?!?!?!' type reporting that tends to go with stories like this. Not too much of a lovely patient family guy really, if you wipe your family out, surely.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:25 AM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I still struggle with it being changed to manslaughter when strangulation in the force it would take to cause death could only be a deliberate act...surely at the very most it would have been defended as diminished responsibility but still murder...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:27 AM #30
-

-

Quote:
Which is in reality is victim blaming at it's worst.
Yep, and I do think that underlying fear it's a huge subconscious motivation behind most victim blaming; "I don't want to believe that this could happen to me or someone I love, so what did THEY do that caused it?"

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 16-02-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:31 AM #31
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Yep, and I do think that underlying fear it's a huge subconscious motivation behind most victim blaming; "I don't want to believe that this could happen to me or someone I love, so what did THEY do that caused it?"
I definitely agree with this. Its 'safer' for people to think they could simply avoid the behaviours that 'cause' stuff like this, than it is to accept sometimes things are totally beyond your own control.

I think thats it with a lot of conspiracy theories too actually. Much easier for us to comprehend some plot or something, than accept sometimes bad **** just happens and noone could stop it either..
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 16-02-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 16-02-2021, 10:35 AM #32
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
hhhmmmm I'm not entirely sure I agree with that, I think it's a misogynistic motivation, be that conscious or unconscious (probably unconscious for the most part) it's the same with rape cases, I've often thought that a lot of times men want to understand the man more because what if something like that ever happened to them, what if they didn't read someones signals or were wrongly accused etc and in murder cases, the woman was probably manipulative and pushed him to it somehow. I still think in society people still want women to be at fault for causing a man to do something to do them (and It's not always just men who think that way)

*Obviously I don't think all men think like this either

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:36 AM #33
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

she ran down the stairs, she was in the porch with keys trying to get out, how did the time it took him to get down the stairs, and how terrified she must have been not stop him in his tracks

and all she said was 'get over it'

I assume there is no history of domestic abuse which probably went in his favour but even so...

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 10:40 AM #34
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...it seems and reads less to me that his wife is thought to have done anything wrong to provoke in any way...but more the depression/anxieties etc that he was going through and had been for some time, being a reason for reducing the charge to manslaughter...and that should never be...and if she had killed him and it being the same circumstances etc...would it be viewed the same or more being, ughhhhh an act of evil...

Last edited by Ammi; 16-02-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 16-02-2021, 10:42 AM #35
0_o

0_o

Jury trials are so flawed really. However, I dont see a realistic way to do it besides juries. Jurys are just as likely as anyone else to believe various myths to do with how criminals/victims act and such.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 16-02-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 16-02-2021, 10:47 AM #36
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...we could speculate also...and as Niamh said... (...It's not always just men who think that way and not generalising all men..)...that it could be imagined to kill a wife, so the guy had to be under so much pressure and pushed too far when any poor guy could be understood to snap...but what reason would a wife have to ever kill her husband, a lovely guy like that...there is something about that woman and we need to look very closely at her etc...
Old 16-02-2021, 10:50 AM #37
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Jury trials are so flawed really. However, I dont see a realistic way to do it besides juries. Jurys are just as likely as anyone else to believe various myths to do with how criminals/victims act and such.
...one of my friends had jury duty, it was quite a few years ago...but she expected it to be a more minor case...and then found that it was a very huge case in our area with a particularly brutal murder of a wife by her husband...she really was quite traumatised for such a long time with the things that were told in court...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
guilty, husband, lockdown, murdering, wife