Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 25-04-2023, 12:14 AM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default Non-English speaking Shows appreciation thread.

Obviously there's a lot of love towards Hollywood for their contribution to entertainment over the decades, and the UK has a respectable fanbase as well.

But imo there are a lot of foreign/non-English speaking Shows that are also very good imo, or even if some of them are a bit flawed they still have enough going for them where I think that they're worth checking out.

Obviously from my list there will be a **** ton of Anime that I will be recommending, but there is some Live Action on this list too.

1. Psycho-Pass

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi, Suspense,

As Psycho-Pass is a relatively big series in Japan, this is the chronological order on how to watch the Show if you're interested in checking it out.

Psycho-Pass Season 1
Psycho-Pass Season 2
Psycho-Pass Movie
Psycho-Pass: Sinners Of The System Case 1
Psycho-Pass: Sinners Of The System Case 2
Psycho-Pass: Sinners Of The System Case 3
Psycho-Pass Season 3
Psycho-Pass: First Inspector
Psycho-Pass: Providence (out 12th May in Japan)

And as an optional purchase for Visual Novel lovers there is Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

2. Dark

Genres - Sci-Fi, Thriller, Mystery, Tragedy

It's on Netflix.

3. The Rain

Genres - Drama, Post-Apocalyptic, Psychological Thriller, Sci-Fi

Imo the Show was at it's best in the first Season, but it still is a fun Show to watch.

And like Dark, it's on Netflix.

4. Alice In Borderland

Genres - Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Also on Netflix if you're interested.

5. Death Note

Genres - Supernatural, Suspense

6. Berserk 2016

Genres - Dark Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Drama, Horror

Now if you're put off by how old the 1997 Anime looks, and you're hesitant on reading the Manga, but you want to get into Berserk then I fully recommend the 2016 Anime Adaptation, yes it uses CGI which I know gets this series a lot of stick because it does look weaker than Kentaro Miura's art in the Manga, and yes it does miss out the Lost Children Chapters (but controversially those chapters weren't essential to the story anyway) they're just interesting side story chapters imo.

My point anyway is if you can look past the CGI, you'll see one of the greatest leads in fiction full stop with a fantastic villain to back him up, plus a strong Fantasy world with a very good list of supporting characters.

Basically so many famous series such as Demon Slayer and Final Fantasy amongst many others have borrowed ideas from Berserk over the years, that's how good Berserk is imo.

Apologies for getting carried away. But just to warn anyone that's interested in checking this particular version of Berserk out, you will have to start with a trilogy of films first.

Here's the order.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I - The Egg Of The King
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II - The Battle For Doldrey
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent
Berserk 2016 Season 1
Berserk 2016 Season 2

And just to add there are Video Games of Berserk too.

Berserk: And The Band Of The Hawk for the PS3, PS4, PSVita, and Microsoft Windows
Berserk: Millennium Empire Arc: Chapter Of The Holy Demon War for the PS2, and was released in Japan only sadly
Sword Of The Berserk: Guts Rage for the Dreamcast and it was released in Europe and North America

7. Berserk 1997 Anime

Genres - Dark Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Drama, Horror

Basically if you really can't stomach the CGI, and tbf it is a great series in it's own right.

8. Ergo Proxy

Genres - Mystery, Sci-Fi

9. Golden Kamuy

Genres - Historical, Action, Adventure

A really underrated Anime imo, it's such a good Show.

More people definitely need to check it out imo.

10. Deadwind

Genres - Crime Drama, Nordic Noir

On Netflix.

11. Claymore

Genres - Action, Adventure, Dark Fantasy

Again if you're not comfortable with diving into the Manga (which is brilliant btw) I understand the hesitation though, and that's where hopefully the Anime would pull you into the world of Claymore.

12. Violet Evergarden

Genres - Drama, Fantasy

I've only seen the first Season, but it was really well made imo.

It's on Netflix.

13. Another

Genres - Horror, Mystery, Supernatural

Basically think Final Destination the Anime.

14. Attack On Titan

Genres - Action, Military, Drama, Suspense, Survival

15. Steins;Gate

Genres - Drama, Sci-Fi, Suspense

Just to add there is another Anime Show called Steins;Gate 0, I've never watched it though so I don't really know what it's about.

Plus there are Visual Novel Games that the Anime to Steins;Gate is based on.

16. Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi, Suspense, Music

Basically it's the Anime in my Sig.

17. Saga Of Tanya The Evil

Genres - Action, Fantasy, Isekai, Military

Isekai is basically where a character (normally through Magic) will be sent to another world.

Basically if you've ever played Final Fantasy X, watched either Sonic X or Spirited Away then you'll be familiar with Isekai to some extent.

Oh and if you've read the Narnia Books as that is technically an Isekai as well.

18. Gintama

Genres - Action, Comedy, Historical, Sci-Fi

Gintama has an unusual style for first time viewers, but it will grow on you if you give it a bit of time as it's very good at everything it goes for, even the things that weren't to my personal taste.

There are also two Gintama Movies.

Gintama The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya
Gintama: The Final (now this really is the last installment of the series) up to this point anyway.

19. Kingdom

Genres - Action, Historical, Military

For those of you that love the animation side of things, it starts improving in Season 2 in that area, and tbh the Show in general just gets so good.

Imo Season 3 in particular is where the Show may have peaked.

20. Yuri On Ice

Genres - Sports, Boys Love, Romance

Boys Love is basically a sub-genre of Romance within the Anime industry, but with gay couples rather than straight couples.

21. Higurashi: When They Cry

Genres - Horror, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense

I haven't watched the revival because I've heard that they undone the ending of the original run, but the original run may just be the best Horror series in either Anime or Live Action imo.

It has just the right amount of gore, Psychologically twisted elements, and enough of an eerie atmosphere without bordering on being comical.

If you're a Horror buff like me, then check this Anime out.

22. Devil May Cry

Genres - Action, Fantasy

Full warning! This Show is mostly episodic, if you can get around that then you'll have a good time imo, as I feel like it's very well made Anime for what it's doing.

23. Blade

Genres - Action, Drama, Horror, Vampire

I know Blade isn't normally a Japanese work, but this Show was made by a Japanese Studio called Madhouse Studio, they also made Death Note and Claymore's Animes, as well as Devil May Cry.

24. Witch Hunter Robin

Genres - Action, Drama, Mystery, Supernatural

25. Innocent Venus

Genres - Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Military

Mecha is basically the genre that Transformers belongs in, just to quickly explain the genre to anyone that doesn't understand what it is.

Tbh though the Mecha genre is probably the only real similarities that Innocent Venus and Transformers share with each other really, they're very different in other ways to each other.

I'll definitely add more on later as this list could be good for anyone like me who is struggling with the current American/UK Shows at the moment in general (bar the odd exceptions) plus anyone that's looking to get into something a little bit different to what they normally watch.

And personally if anyone on here has a foreign Show in mind for any of us to watch then I'll be glad to hear about them on here.

26. Ajin

Genres - Action, Horror, Mystery, Supernatural

Again I know some people do have an issue with the CGI in this series, if you can get around that though then you'll be watching a very fun ride of an Anime imo.

It's on Netflix for anyone that's interested in giving it a shot.

27. Witchblade

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi

It's not perfect imo, but it has some decent characters that I think are worth watching.

28. Serial Experiments Lain

Genres - Avant Garde, Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural

29. Deutschland

Genres - Cold War Espionage

This is the order to watch Deutschland

Deutschland 83
Deutschland 86
Deutschland 89

30. Inu x Boku Secret Service

Genres - Comedy, Romance, Supernatural

31. 91 Days

Genres - Action, Drama, Historical

32. Code Geass

Genres - Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Military

I only watched the first two Seasons as that was the initial ending of the story, the Movies afterwards are basically a cash grab from Sunrise imo.

But the Show is very good imo, especially as it goes along and the insanity commences.

33. Dororo

Genres - Action, Adventure, Supernatural, Historical

34. Dorohedoro

Genres - Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Horror

It's on Netflix.

35. Akiba Maid War

Genres - Action, Comedy

It's much, much better than you might imagine on paper.

As long as you're open to it's bizarre style of Maids behaving like Mobsters then you'll be away with this Show, as strange as it is to say.

36. Drifters

Genres - Action, Adventure, Comedy, Dark Fantasy, Historical, Isekai

37. .Hack//Sign

Genres - Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery, Sci-Fi

I have yet to watch the other .Hack Animes as of yet, but I did like this particular Show, even despite it being a bit slow paced at certain intervals, it's cast and world kept me interested enough.

38. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Genres - Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Mecha

You can watch this Gundam without seeing any of the others, it's entry level friendly imo.

Oh and it's on Netflix.

39. Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Again you can watch this Gundam without watching any of the others previously, and tbh if you like Code Geass you might have a shot with this particular Gundam.

40. Mobile Suit Gundam: AGE

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi, Mecha

Again it's another entry level friendly Gundam, you don't have to have avidly followed the franchise to get into it.

Full warning though my opinion is certainly in the minority in recommending this particular Gundam, I've personally never understood the hate for this series, it's technically well written and quite ambitious with some of the new ideas that it brings to the table.

The only thing I didn't like about AGE really is they loved to kill off characters that I liked.

41. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED

Genres - Action, Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Military

The writing on this Show certainly isn't flawless, but it is entertaining imo, and some of the characters are good.

And imo it does have a strong finish to the Season.

If you like Gundam SEED there was also a sequel/spin-off called Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny which I personally wasn't in the right mood to watch it at the time, but it doesn't mean that other people won't get a kick out of it. Plus I am open to giving it another chance someday.

42. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Again like the other Gundam's in this list it is entry level for newcomers to check out.

Wing is a bit dated in certain areas, but overall it's still got some decent ideas worth seeing imo.

And despite being a bit clunky with Relena's character, the writers do deserve some respect for trying to make her role to be more than just the damsel, or just the love interest.

If you do like Gundam Wing, then you'll probably like it's OVA series Endless Waltz.

43. Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom

Genres - Action, Drama, Suspense

It's written by Gen Urobuchi, who wrote the first Season of Psycho-Pass.

44. The Knight In The Area

Genres - Comedy, Sports

45. Ingress: The Animation

Genres - Action, Mystery, Sci-Fi

Again it has controversial CGI animation, so it won't be for everyone.

And tbf whilst it isn't going to be nominated for the greatest Anime of all time, I do think that it's fun to watch, and it definitely has some decent ideas imo.

It's on Netflix for anyone that's interested in giving it a go.

46. Shiki

Genres - Horror, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Vampire

47. My Hero Academia

Genres - Action, Super Hero, Battle Shounen

Battle Shounen is... Think of Fullmetal Alchemist, Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man, Fairy Tail, Dragonball Z etc etc.

My Hero Academia has three Films that don't follow the main story and can be watched at any time tbh.

And there are two My Hero One Justice Games based off of the My Hero Academia series.

48. Darker Than Black

49. Demon Slayer

Genres - Action, Fantasy, Historical, Battle Shounen

The order to watch Demon Slayer material.

Demon Slayer Season 1
Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc Movie
Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc
Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc

Plus they do have a Video Game that's out on Steam & PlayStation 4/5, maybe Xbox Series X/S and Switch as well but I'm less confident on those two systems having the Game.

50. Black Blood Brothers

Genres - Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Vampire

This was a really fun Anime imo, I finished the 12 episodes in two days, I had a really good time with it personally.

51. Btooom!

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi, Survival

52. Occult Academy

Genres - Comedy, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural

53. Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends

Genres - Comedy, Romance, Ecchi

Ecchi is basically you'll see people shirtless, or women's boobs or ass.

Pervy basically.

54. Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales Of The Macabre

Genres - Horror, Supernatural

It's on Netflix.

55. The Promised Neverland

Genres - Mystery, Sci-Fi, Suspense, Survival

I recommend this one hesitantly.

I say that because Season 1 imo is near enough a masterpiece with how the story was paced, the quality of the story in general, the characters, and the overall atmosphere was near on perfect for it's type, CloverWorks did a great job in Season 1 which I will give them credit on that, and anyone getting into Anime that likes Thriller type of Animes should really give Season 1 a shot.

However Season 2 (not just in my opinion) but in the Anime community in general is known to be a bit of a trainwreck to put it politely, it takes everything that was good from Season 1 and trainwrecks it.

Season 2's story feels like it's even missing details that might've made the events in the Season come off better, but that's speculation on my part tbf.

And tbf Season 2 is an experience that you'll never forget, but it's not for the right reasons like Season 1.

To not completely **** on Season 2 the OP was good imo, the OP did a better job of capturing the atmosphere of the Season 1 better than the episodes did.

But basically if you really like Mystery or Thriller components then I'd still give the Anime a shot, because Season 1 is really strong, and Season 2 tbf is less flat than some Animes out there, even if the writing and pacing were atrocious, at least you can laugh about it rather than some of the paint dry experiences that some Anime can throw out.

Season 1 is on Netflix.

56. Ayatsuri Sakon

Genres - Horror, Mystery, Suspense

It's quite an old Anime (hence struggling to find a good trailer on YouTube) but it's a decent Anime for anyone that's wanting murder mysteries that last for 3-4 episodes each.

57. Black Bullet

58. Space Dandy

Genres - Comedy, Sci-Fi

59. Cowboy Bebop

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi

It's very episodic, but it is very good at what it does if you can get around that aspect.

60. 86

It's Mecha-lite imo, but it's very well written, especially when you see how part 1 builds into part 2.

It's a very well crafted Show.

61. Made In Abyss

Genres - Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Survival

I haven't seen the second Season yet.

However the first Season and Dawn Of The Deep Soul are very good, deceptively good I'll add as I really wasn't expecting much from this Anime before I checked it out.

Dawn Of The Deep Soul can be very disturbing though, full warning to anyone that can't handle their villains being full on.

62. The Lost Village

Genres - Drama, Horror, Mystery

Okay I'll be honest here.

I am recommending possibly the most hated Anime from my personal recommendations based off MAL scores of each Anime on this thread.

Out of interest it scores a 5.50/10 on MAL, so a very controversial Anime.

And tbf it does have messy writing in places, but probably a personal preference thing on my part but I was fascinated to see what the answers were to the mysteries, and some of the characters were decent I thought.

It's not the next masterpiece, but it is fun if you take it for what it is, and don't go into the Anime expecting Attack On Titan quality.

63. Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi

This is another Anime that's really controversial on MAL, scoring a 6.06/10 on MAL.

I haven't seen this Anime since it came out back in 2015, but unlike The Lost Village which tbf does have some issues that I will concede on, Gunslinger Stratos is an Anime that I genuinely think people were harsh on.

From what I remember of the Show is that it had an interesting concept and some strong action scenes, and I remember there were a couple of decent twists that it had up it's sleeve.

Don't get me wrong it's not a 10/10 Anime either, but I do think that Gunslinger Stratos and The Lost Village are better than some Animes that score in the 7's and 8's out of 10 imo.

64. Paranoia Agent

Genres - Avant Garde, Drama, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Detective

65. Mouryou No Hako

Genres - Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Detective, Historical

I wasn't quite sure in the first episode where it was going to go, but it won me over as it went along.

It's really not a good Show for Actionaholics though as it is slow paced.

The OP in particular is fantastic in this Anime as well, the ED is good as well.

If I'm not mistaken I think that the Music was all performed by a band called Nightmare, who sung Death Note's OP & ED Music in their first Season.

66. Erased

Genres - Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense

67. Fullmetal Alchemist

Genres - Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Military, Battle Shounen

I've never watched Brotherhood tbf to that version.

I did really like the first Fullmetal Alchemist Anime though, this along with Death Note, Claymore & Steins;Gate all helped really get into Anime, and have the confidence to go for other non-English speaking Shows like Dark and The Rain.

That's how much I hold this Show in high regard that I mention in the same breath as those Animes.

Although my personal favourite Anime is Psycho-Pass, there's something about that world that I just love.

68. Inuyashiki

Genres - Action, Drama, Sci-Fi

It's not perfect, but it does get the job done.

Plus tbf it does have a lead that's older than usual for Anime which should be commended, and the villain is very entertaining imo, especially I think what he was doing in episode 2 or 3 (I can't remember which) but it was fun in a twisted sort of way.

69. Valvrave The Liberator

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Military

I liked the first Season, but it definitely has problems.

Season 2 however I remember being quite fun, and tbh I kind of wanted a third Season after completing it.

70. Ouran High School Host Club

Genres - Comedy, Romance, Shoujo

Shoujo basically is an Anime or Manga aiming for a female demographic as it's target audience.

71. 009-1

It's been a fair few years since I've last watched this Anime, but I remember it being entertaining.

72. Cosplay Complex

Genres - Comedy, Ecchi, Parody

Unsurprisingly MAL gave it a very controversial score of a 5.79/10.

However I think that score is very harsh, considering I don't what the people that are giving it low scores were expecting from this Anime?

I'm not saying it's the best Comedy Anime choice out there, but I did have a laugh with it to some extent.

73. Revisions

Again it's not perfect, but it's still a decent watch imo.

74. Deadman Wonderland

Genres - Action, Horror, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Survival

75. The Future Diary

Genres - Action, Supernatural, Suspense, Survival

76. B: The Beginning

Genres - Action, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Detective

I haven't watched the second Season yet, but I did like the first Season.

77. Good Luck Girl!

Genres - Comedy, Supernatural, Parody

78. Mob Psycho 100

Genres - Action, Comedy, Supernatural

I haven't watched the third Season yet, but I did think that the first two Seasons were decent.

79. Id:Invaded

Genres - Mystery, Sci-Fi, Suspense, Detective

It's a decent series imo.

Especially Tamotsu Fukuda stood out to me.

But tbf the other characters were decent, some of them could've done with more development though.

80. Devilman: Crybaby

Genres - Action, Avant Garde, Horror, Supernatural

Tbh there are definitely better written Shows on this list of Shows that I like, and would personally recommend you to watch, and tbh there are probably better written Shows that aren't on my list because personally I didn't find them to be that entertaining.

Now the entertainment factor is where Devilman: Crybaby does become a guilty pleasure for me.

1. They have some supporting characters rap at random.

2. The fight scenes and sexual nature are very OTT.

3. The ending of the entire series is just completely off it's rocker (and isn't really that well written imo) but it does bizarrely make me laugh in this particular Show. They actually pull it off better than some Animes probably would.

Tbf to the Anime though it gets core elements right imo for any work of fiction.

1. Memorable characters.

2. Scenes that I personally won't forget in a hurry.

3. Talking points with other people that are watching the Show as well.

I know that these are all basic stuff that you would expect in any work of fiction, but going by some of the stuff that I've seen lately, that might be harder than what you think, or what I used to think.

81. Kingdom (K-Drama)

Genres - Historical Period, Political Drama, Horror, Thriller

To clarify this has nothing to do with the Kingdom Anime above, both are great Shows imo, but they're separate franchises.

I've only got two episodes to go until I've completed the Show as it currently stands.

And tbh it is a fantastic Show, every character is well written, and the story is really interesting and well developed.

It's basically a blend of GOT meets TWD, but the best aspects of both of them imo.

And to anybody wondering if they answer what caused the Zombie outbreak in this Show, the answer is yes they will answer it, obviously I'm not going to spoil the answer on this thread, but they'll definitely answer it.

I know that I'm recommending a lot of Shows on this thread, but this Show is one that I really highly recommend people check out, it's really high quality from the Koreans imo.

I've finished the Show, an excellent ending imo, I hope that they might do a Season 3 someday.

They've got a Movie on Netflix as well called Kingdom: Ashin Of The North, I haven't watched it yet, but I'm looking forward to watching it eventually.

82. The Perfect Insider

Genres - Mystery, Sci-Fi, Detective

This is one of those Animes that I've softened on from when I watched it at the time.

Clunky English and an annoying leading lady aside, I do feel like The Perfect Insider has some interesting ideas that make it stand out from other Detective Animes.

I have to be careful what I say here though because I could give away a spoiler.

83. Beyond Evil

Genres - Procedural Drama, Psychological Thriller

I've watched most of the Season (11 episodes to be exact) and I think it's a brilliant Show with two fantastic leads, especially the Actor who plays Lee Dong Sik.

The only warning I'll say to anyone watching Beyond Evil is that it has some OTT twist and turns, if you're not okay with that then I recommend not watching it, if you're okay with a twist heavy series then you'll be right at home.

And like the other K-Drama that I've watched in Kingdom, Beyond Evil is on Netflix.

Update... I've finished the Season, a very good ending that still leaves it open for a second Season, but it can also serve as an ending, I like it when Shows can pull that off.

84. Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness

Genres - Action, Horror, Sci-Fi

Technically it's joint made between the Japanese and the Americans (and I did watch it dubbed) however as it was a joint effort, and the series is normally handled by Capcom I feel like it belongs in the Non-English section.

Either way it's a fun Resident Evil installment, a damn sight better than Village imo.

85. Baccano!

Genres - Action, Comedy, Mystery, Supernatural, Historical

86. The Guest

Genres - Supernatural, Horror, Thriller, Drama, Mystery

As I've said previously, this Show can appear to be slow in the first episode, I had my doubts about if I was gonna stick it out at the very beginning.

However if you're into more hardcore Horror themes then definitely check the Show out as it doesn't shy away from that aspect.

And tbf the Show is well written away from just the scares, it's lore and characters are really well developed imo, and they're very clever at making the most important information that you need to know look trivial on initial impressions.

A very clever Show imo.

And it's on Netflix for anyone interested in giving it a watch.

87. Mouse

Genres - Crime Thriller, Suspense, Mystery, Sci-Fi

I've watched the first 16 episodes + the Predator OVA's (although one of the OVA's just a recap episode) the other one is important though.

The Show is fantastic quality, it may not appear that way at first, but as you go along you should slowly start to be impressed at how well the writer has cleverly crafted the story.

The only thing I'll warn people on is that if you're not very comfortable watching a Show that kills children and animals (my god this writer loves to write about Animal Cruelty) then stay away, tbf she doesn't condone Animal Cruelty or killing children in her writing, but I get that some people just don't want to watch that type of content.

However if you can get around those things then there is a lot to like about Mouse, just give it a few episodes to show you just how well written it truly is.

88. Copycat Killer

Genres - Thriller, Mystery, Psychological, Drama

It's my first Taiwanese Show that I've ever watched, and with three episodes to go I've got to say that I'm not disappointed.

The case has enough twisted elements to make the killer be truly revolting on a morality scale.

Plus the characters are very well developed imo, I won't go into which characters because it could spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen the Show, but I'll just say that some characters are more interesting than they might initially appear to be.

And it is on Netflix for anyone that's interested in checking the Show out.

Update! I've finished the Season, very good imo, especially if you're up for an OTT ride.

89. Sonic X

Genres - Action, Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Mecha

The trailer is very short, but I honestly couldn't find a longer trailer unfortunately.

I'm watching the dub version of Sonic X, and I'm only a few episodes away from finishing Season 2.

Imo I think that it's been a very good Show, it's incredibly entertaining plus it's very well made and underappreciated by the wider Anime community, let alone the Sonic community imo.

Yes it's cheesy/goofy but it is intended to be that way, it is after all a Kids Show and a Sonic Show at that, so imo it's doing what it's intending to do, and imo at a very high quality.

Not everything should be judged like they're GOT or AOT, because ultimately not every Show is trying to be them two Shows, every Show should be judged on what they're trying to go for, not what you're trying to make them be.

And I know that there's criticism towards the Voice Actors for the Dub, but again I think people are trying to judge their performance like they're performing in a more mature series. In my view I think the VA have done a good job at bringing the corny, adventurous vibe that I think the Writers and Director were looking for when making the Show.

I think the only episode that I've personally not enjoyed was Huge Shoot-Out On The Savanna (The Dam Scam) episode, because while I do agree with the message that the episode is supporting (and arguably ahead of their time) I just didn't find the episode to be that entertaining for me, but other than that episode I have up to this point have been really enjoying the Show.

I also don't get the hate for Chris either.

I forgot to add that the first two Seasons are Netflix, and the third Season you'll have to buy on DVD or Blu-Ray if you want to watch it legally.

90. Bastard!! Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy Remake

Genres - Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Ecchi

The Anime is a remake to a 6 episode OVA from the 1990's with the same name, which was based off the 1980's Manga of the same name.

Now I've never followed those versions so I can't compare the newest version of Bastard to them.

But however I will say that despite this Anime having divisive elements to it for a lot of people, I would argue that the Anime is very well made, and in my view is very entertaining if you can embrace it's style of writing.

In particular Dark Schneider is a legend, and tbf Gara, Yoko, Lars & Arsches are strong characters as well, to the point where I remember most of their names.

91. Mononoke

Genres - Horror, Mystery, Supernatural, Historical, Psychological
Episodes - 12

I found that this Show was a bit of a slow first 10-15 minutes during the first episode, but after that I just got into the Show more and more.

It's not going to be an Anime that will appeal to everyone, but I think that it's a very well made Anime personally, and it has a very striking Animation for the people that really prioritize the importance in that area.

92. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Genres - Action, Sci-Fi, Detective, Mecha, Military
Episodes - 52

I've watched the first 11 episodes of Season 2, and so far I give the Anime the thumbs up.

Season 1 had a good mix of Stand Alone episodes with an arc that I think balanced out quite well for the most part, and I say the same so far for Season 2 (minus the really boring episode 11 imo) but every Show is going to have episodes that you don't like.

The two biggest strengths for Ghost In The Shell is the characters and the world building imo, I haven't really seen such attention to detail on the tech side of things really since (ironically) Psycho-Pass which was clearly inspired by Ghost In The Shell in many ways.

For those of you that are less familiar with Ghost In The Shell, it has many different installments to itself as it is a huge franchise in Japan, I've just personally started with Stand Alone Complex because I liked the look of it the best, but I'm sure that the others are good as well.

Stand Alone Complex also has a Movie after finishing the Second Season called Solid State Society.

Oh and another thing that I personally feel that Ghost In The Shell deserves credit for, which is writing your Political messaging in a way that respects the audience intelligence, rather than smacking me in the face with cringy dialogue.

And on this thread I'll list my personal recommendations on what Manga I believe that some of you should check out as well.

1. Berserk
Genres - Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural, Military

One of the greatest stories that I have ever witnessed in any fiction imo.

2. Claymore
Genres - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Horror

3. Biomega
Genres - Action, Horror, Sci-Fi

4. Doron Dororon
Genres - Action, Supernatural, Battle Shounen

A really underrated Manga series imo, unfortunately for it I think that it can't quite compete with Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen's popularity in Japan (and tbh worldwide) it's unfortunate for me personally though because I personally prefer it to JJK.

I don't hate JJK, but I'm still not 100% sold on it based off the Anime so far, although I do like Goujou and Megami.

5. Uzumaki
Genres - Drama, Horror, Supernatural

6. Ibitsu (2009 Manga)
Genres - Horror

Again a bit underrated by the wider Manga readership, I remember it being quite creepy.

7. Black Torch
Genres - Action, Supernatural, Battle Shounen

I didn't really get into it the first time around that I tried to read it, but I was in a bit of a funk with Anime/Manga at the time so I've given Black Torch a second chance.

And tbh it's very consistently fun imo, I actually would recommend this series as a good entry level Manga for anybody trying to get into the Manga medium.

I say that because it's fast paced so it won't feel like the story is dragging on needlessly, it has some decent characters and story, plus it's only 5 volumes long, overall whilst I don't think it's as good as series like Berserk or Claymore in particular, their length plus style of writing are probably more marmite than Black Torch for people that might not be into Dark Fantasy series.

Overall though I would say that Black Torch is a good 8 to 8.5/10, I honestly recommend it.

8. Solanin
Genres - Drama, Slice Of Life

Definitely something different for me to get into than my usual style.

It was a very good read though, especially if you go into it with a different expectation versus series like Berserk or AOT in the Anime world, because it's obviously nothing like those series, and isn't really trying to be one of those big scale type of stories.

But it is very good at what it's doing, just go in with different expectations for the series rather than lower expectations, or harsh/unfair expectations.

9. The Hunters Guild: Red Hood
Genres - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Battle Shounen

The Hunters Guild: Red Hood is a darker take on the Fairy Tale subgenre, like don't expect it to be Disney lol.

But I liked The Hunters Guild: Red Hood, tbh I was a little unsure at the beginning (I didn't hate it though) I just wasn't sure if it was going to be for me.

But tbf especially as more characters were getting introduced I really started to get into the series and was finding it really entertaining to read, it's a shame that Shounen Jump cancelled the series.

Although tbf to Shounen Jump, I do know that Japan hated this series, so the cancellation was fair in a strictly business sense.

10. Ice-Head Gill
Genres - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Battle Shounen

Ice-Head Gill isn't the best Manga ever imo, but it develops into a decent series with some likable characters and interesting storylines as it goes along.

I would warn people though that the series recently got cancelled, so unfortunately the last chapter got a rushed conclusion, but I do think that it's overall a decent series to consider checking out.

11. Spice Girls
Genres - Girls Love

I started giving this series a shot purely for it's name to begin with, but ironically the series is better than it might sound on paper.

Spice Girls is basically an Anthology series telling Lesbian Romance tales, that normally tend to add in a fair bit of Drama, Comedy and School Life elements.

Again I wouldn't say that it's the best Manga story ever told, but it's still decent, especially if you're someone like me that reads a lot more heavier and more action oriented series, works like Solanin and Spice Girls out of my list on this thread will bring a very different vibe to the table, as well as being very different to each other.

Hentai that I've liked: (don't copy everything that you see in Hentai) also I won't be showing trailers of them due to the nature of their content.

1. Isekai Yarisaa
Genres - Isekai
Episodes - 2

Don't take the Show too literally would be my advice.

If you can just take it for what it is, you'll end up seeing a lot of hot Anime women.

2. Nier: First [Ass]embly
Genres - Hentai, Sci-Fi
Episodes - 1

I've seen my Brother play Nier: Automata and I remember thinking that 2B was hot then.

There are admittedly some strange scenes in this (don't worry it's nothing Loli related) but overall just seeing 2B in a Hentai was fantastic.

Manhwa:
1. Weakness
Genres - Girls Love, Erotica

Obviously don't expect the next Attack On Titan or Berserk out of this series, but it's an entertaining guilty pleasure series imo.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 27-11-2023 at 05:28 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 02:05 PM #2
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

this is a german work of pure action art

top police action series, on same levels of quality as Commisaris Rex

+ Tom Beck is a DILF him and GZSZ's Chryssanthi Kavazi are like the supercouple des deutschlands

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 05:15 PM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
this is a german work of pure action art

top police action series, on same levels of quality as Commisaris Rex

+ Tom Beck is a DILF him and GZSZ's Chryssanthi Kavazi are like the supercouple des deutschlands

Definitely worth checking out in the future for me.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 05:47 PM #4
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I liked Dark, Squid Game and Money Heist on Netflix, they were German, South Korean and Spanish respectively

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 01:49 PM #5
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

i basically watch a lot of german shows

- DSDS (same as Pop Idol but with a few hints of originality into it in terms of 4 golden cd's, 1 per judge and as of 2024 anything goes in terms of ages, from 16+ to like people who are in their 50's 60's even 70's if they want to)
- Lets Dance (Strictly but more back to basics)
- Ninja Warrior Germany
- Top Dog Deutschland (sort of crufts but then with an entire obstacle run all sorts of puzzles, mazes to get through)
- Schlagerboom (summer schlager festival with very well known german and international acts)
- Die Giovanni Zarrella Show (loads of live music, surprise duets, A-Lister international guests)
- Willkommen: Silvesterparty at Brandenburger Tor (new years eve big music party)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
appreciation, nonenglish, shows, speaking, thread