Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-03-2024, 11:01 AM #126

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Wasnt there a red flag incident in 200and something involving Chechnya..round about the time putin wanted to invade Chechnya?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 12:02 PM #127
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Sometimes things are as they appear, as strange as it may seem.

Maybe they really are ISIS-adjacent terrorists, and just happened to be captured alive. Which, in some ways, seems as "out there" as any of the conspiracy theories
Oh I 10000% believe it was Isis. I’m just genuinely confused to why they didn’t make it a suicide attack. I don’t think I can remember the last time it happened
Old 26-03-2024, 12:37 PM #128
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Sometimes things are as they appear, as strange as it may seem.

Maybe they really are ISIS-adjacent terrorists, and just happened to be captured alive. Which, in some ways, seems as "out there" as any of the conspiracy theories
I think so tbh. By all accounts the US and Russian intelligence knew that something was being planned for a while so that probably helped them apprehend the suspects quicker. IS themselves released photos and footage of the attackers so I think it would be obvious quite quickly if the suspects were not the ones responsible.

The whole Ukraine thing is where it gets murky. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Islamists could have taken advantage of the conflict to have a presence in the country. The situation can be so confused and chaotic in a war zone that they could have used that as a cover.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 05:19 PM #129
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Russian security chief accuses Britain of concert hall terror attack…

Russia’s internal security chief has accused Britain and the United States of being behind Friday’s terrorist attack on Crocus City Hall.

Alexander Bortnikov, the head of the Federal Security Service, the main successor to the KGB, said investigators had not yet established who ordered the attack but insisted the West and Ukraine were linked to it.

Russian news agencies cited Mr Bortnikov as saying: “We believe the action was prepared both by the radical Islamists themselves and, of course, facilitated by Western special services, and Ukraine’s special services themselves have a direct connection to this.

“The one who ordered it has not been identified yet. We understand and see those who organised this process, who recruited and set specific tasks.”

However Mr Bortnikov went on to declare: “The USA, Britain and Ukraine are behind the terrorist attack in Crocus City Hall.”

At least 139 people were murdered in the attack on the concert venue outside Moscow on Friday evening. The Islamic State terrorist group has claimed responsibility.

Mr Bortnikov’s remarks come after Vladimir Putin on Monday for the first time publicly accepted that Islamist extremists perpetrated the attack but insisted there was some link to Ukraine.

The FSB has previously said the suspected attackers were caught in Bryansk region on their way to the Ukrainian border. Mr Bortnikov claimed they would have been “greeted as heroes on the other side” if they had made it.

Ukraine has strongly denied any involvement in the atrocity.

The US, which says it shared intelligence about a possible terror attack in Moscow with Russia, says its intelligence shows Islamic State operatives acted alone.

Mr Bortnikov’s comments came as Russian authorities arrested an eighth man in connection with the terrorist attack.

Alisher Kasimov, a Russian citizen born in Kyrgyzstan, is accused of renting a flat to the attackers, Russian media reported. He said in court on Tuesday morning that he did not know of their plans.

…full article…

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/russian-se...143815979.html
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 05:41 PM #130
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

it's when they say stuff like this that it opens it up for there having been russian government collusion in the event.

If they want to escalate the war, it gives them the narrative that they want. Lets not forget that Putin completely fabricated the reasoning for invading ukraine
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 09:39 PM #131
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

So it wasn't just ISIS, it was everyone in the world!

I get that they want to justify further attacks and atrocities, but pointing the finger of blame that widely makes me think they might be behind it themselves, or at the very least were aware and didn't stop it so they could go playing the blame game.
(And now they've got me theorising and making up bollocks)

There are plenty of muslims in Russia, and it's fair to say some of them might sympathise with ISIS, or be otherwise open to radicalisation.

Vlad, don't worry, most of the world doesn't even want your people killed by terrorists. You don't need to over-egg it.

Last edited by Oliver_W; 26-03-2024 at 09:41 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 02:41 PM #132
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

George Galloway ‘accuses UK of being involved in Moscow terror attack’

Newly-elected MP George Galloway has seemingly accused the UK of being involved in last week’s Moscow terror attack in comments quoted in a Kremlin-linked newspaper.

The Rochdale MP accused the US and the UK of lying about the involvement of Isis in the attack, which killed 139 people and injured 360, in quotes in Rossiyskaya Gazeta, a newspaper published by the Russian government.

In the month after his return to parliament, described as a “dark day” for Britan’s Jewish community, Mr Galloway has espoused conspiracy theories about the Princess of Wales being dead and likened Israel to Nazi Germany.

MPs slammed his latest intervention as irresponsible, reckless and playing into the Kremlin’s hands. The foreign secretary, David Cameron, also described claims that the West and Ukraine were involved in the Crocus City Hill Attack as “utter nonsense” in a post on X.

In an article in the Russian newspaper, Mr Galloway is quoted as saying: “When the US, UK and others quickly tried to assure me that it was only Isis (banned in the Russian Federation) that committed this massacre in Moscow, I automatically realised that they were lying.

“And this is what I discovered: First of all, no one has explained the unannounced visit of former President Barack Obama to meet British politicians and security officials in Downing Street three days before this terrorist crime was committed.

“Researching even further, I discovered that Victoria Nuland [former senior US diplomat], this harbinger of death, this angel of death, who, if she approaches you, you can be sure that civil war is coming in your country. And she promised the Russians some unpleasant surprises in the coming weeks and months.”

The article says Mr Galloway claims to have “four pieces of evidence that lead me to believe that the United States, its Nato allies, and their puppet stump state Ukraine are, in fact, responsible for this massacre”.

A press spokesperson for Mr Galloway declined to comment on the article. Mr Galloway told The Independent he had never heard of the Rossiyskaya Gazeta or given the newspaper a comment. He added: “I have never heard of nor spoken to this Russian newspaper. Or any other Russian newspaper.”

The new MP’s reported comments align with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spurious claims that Ukraine is somehow responsible for the attack, despite there being no evidence to suggest this.

Western analysts have warned that Putin has a history of using terrorist attacks to justify wars of aggression, and is likely planning to do the same for the latest Moscow incident.

The remarks prompted a series of criticism from MPs.

…full article…
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/george-gal...132520773.html
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:56 PM #133
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

I seem to remember some on this forum suggesting it was a great day for british politics when Galloway was elected
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 06:18 PM #134
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

We shouldn't fear diversity of opinion
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote