Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-11-2008, 08:35 PM #26

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Christina
Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks
This is that film

Produced by Barnardos

Quote:
NOTE: We recommend that children under 13 years old should not view this film without parental consent.

The shocking but real dialogue that features in this film gives a clear indication of how the UK today is demonising children.

A concerning issue present in todays society is the increasingly negative way in which young people are viewed by the general public. A growth in anxiety over the presence of youths in our communities has led to a significant level of social exclusion towards them.

While there are serious offences committed that do require appropriate action, the positive contributions that young people make in their communities is going largely unnoticed.

At Barnardo's, we want people to recognise that children who are troublesome and engage in antisocial behaviour are often those most in need of support. Our work demonstrates that the majority of children who start down the wrong path can be helped to change direction.

Barnardos
YouTube Home page
Thats actually quite disgraceful!

And being in South London i think kids around the age of 15-18 are sterotyped wayy too much! I know alot of my primary school friends who went to private schools think that most of the people in my school are gangsters etc.. Im not a gangster and i go to that school? And the majority of the girls in my school are the same!

There may be your fair share of fights etc.. but isnt that the same in every school? I can totally understand why boys/girls in hoodies could be intimidating to others but not EVERY child is like that, there are some good people out there!

Im also going to bring race into this because i know some people actually on tibb [naming no names] who actually really angered me one time when they said something along these lines 'Its mainly black people who do bad stuff in South London isnt it? I mean you dont see a white person on the news everyday being killed/killing do you?'. Just because there are quite alot of young black youths being killed it dosent mean that everyone is like that. And it was totally ignorant of them. I think its stereotyping awful thing to do. But theres two sides to every story i suppose..?
I feel sickened that actual people in the UK have used those comments aggainst teenagers!! WTF!!! When did this ad air? Did it ever air on TV?
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 08:46 PM #27
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Not sure if it has made it to TV, but it was released this week by Barnardos
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 08:46 PM #28

Favourites:
BB11: Corin

Favourites:
BB11: Corin

Quote:
Originally posted by *mazedsalv**
Quote:
Originally posted by Christina
Quote:
This is that film

Produced by Barnardos

Quote:
NOTE: We recommend that children under 13 years old should not view this film without parental consent.

The shocking but real dialogue that features in this film gives a clear indication of how the UK today is demonising children.

A concerning issue present in todays society is the increasingly negative way in which young people are viewed by the general public. A growth in anxiety over the presence of youths in our communities has led to a significant level of social exclusion towards them.

While there are serious offences committed that do require appropriate action, the positive contributions that young people make in their communities is going largely unnoticed.

At Barnardo's, we want people to recognise that children who are troublesome and engage in antisocial behaviour are often those most in need of support. Our work demonstrates that the majority of children who start down the wrong path can be helped to change direction.

Barnardos
YouTube Home page
Thats actually quite disgraceful!

And being in South London i think kids around the age of 15-18 are sterotyped wayy too much! I know alot of my primary school friends who went to private schools think that most of the people in my school are gangsters etc.. Im not a gangster and i go to that school? And the majority of the girls in my school are the same!

There may be your fair share of fights etc.. but isnt that the same in every school? I can totally understand why boys/girls in hoodies could be intimidating to others but not EVERY child is like that, there are some good people out there!

Im also going to bring race into this because i know some people actually on tibb [naming no names] who actually really angered me one time when they said something along these lines 'Its mainly black people who do bad stuff in South London isnt it? I mean you dont see a white person on the news everyday being killed/killing do you?'. Just because there are quite alot of young black youths being killed it dosent mean that everyone is like that. And it was totally ignorant of them. I think its stereotyping awful thing to do. But theres two sides to every story i suppose..?
I feel sickened that actual people in the UK have used those comments aggainst teenagers!! WTF!!! When did this ad air? Did it ever air on TV?
I don't think it would air on TV because it is too Disturbing.
Chri$ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 08:58 PM #29

I understand it a big group of people all in hoods right infront of you its not comfortable to walk throught, usually nothing somtimes u get a mouthy one.

but then i find older people more rude nowadays... some guy started swearing at me and said go to a coffee shop if i want to talk when i was in the cinema when i said like 10 words.

Luckily my brother was there though that bastard got us banned coz we shouted back...
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:06 PM #30

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Ive never got told off in the cinema for talking, I look around and everyone in there start talking even older people, so they dont really mind.

A few weeks ago, i was walking down my road to go to the post office, and this cop walking nearby came up top me and said "So, where are you off to then?" and I said "Off to buy some cough sweets"(which was true).... HAHA, he the just walked away. He probably only said that because I had my hood up and texting with my phone and had an earphone in, he probably thought I was "indimidating". However, some cops have spoken to us before on Friday nights in the park and are really freindly which is nice.

80% of people i open the door for thank me, but one woman in her 70s or somthing, I didnt hold the door for because i didnts ee anyone behind me, and she said "Thank you for being so polite and holding the door open!", Wth, she was like 4 feet tall, and if she was walking behind me all the time, she must have been unbelievably quiet, sorry it annoys me!!
Old 20-11-2008, 10:51 PM #31

Quote:
Ive never got told off in the cinema for talking, I look around and everyone in there start talking even older people, so they dont really mind.

A few weeks ago, i was walking down my road to go to the post office, and this cop walking nearby came up top me and said "So, where are you off to then?" and I said "Off to buy some cough sweets"(which was true).... HAHA, he the just walked away. He probably only said that because I had my hood up and texting with my phone and had an earphone in, he probably thought I was "indimidating". However, some cops have spoken to us before on Friday nights in the park and are really freindly which is nice.

80% of people i open the door for thank me, but one woman in her 70s or somthing, I didnt hold the door for because i didnts ee anyone behind me, and she said "Thank you for being so polite and holding the door open!", Wth, she was like 4 feet tall, and if she was walking behind me all the time, she must have been unbelievably quiet, sorry it annoys me!!

see the police bit is understandable you may have forgot the metal pole you were carrying in your hand....
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 01:34 PM #32

Quote:
Discuss. We are talking about this in school.

Imo, it quite frankly annoys me, I somethimes wonder that about 80% of people believe that all teenagers are either chavs, thiefs and rude people. Okay, sure the things that are on the newspapers make us look bad, but were not all like that. You come across some elderly people who are nice and friendly to you, but ones I held a door open for them, and they just gave me such an evil look. Its the same when I walk into shops, they look at me expecting to do something.
Dude, you totally just wrote what I was about to say.
Killian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 01:41 PM #33

Sorry for the doublepost. >,<

Quote:
This is that film

Produced by Barnardos

Quote:

Barnardos
YouTube Home page
Disgusting. Absolutely sickening.

Anyone who could say that deserves to be locked up.
Killian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 08:16 PM #34

Here is an example of why both old and younger adults may stereo type young people. Its all down to personal experiences as well as what one reads........Here is one very recently.......Walking in park with friend and dogs and two groups of kids aged about 11 -16 formed two large groups coming from two different directions.......Must have been 60 to 80 kids in total......Each group had a lead fighter and met to fight while the other gathered around cheering the fight on.......Other teens were in parts of the park using mobiles to warn other teens about police activity on the way......Boasting about a big fight and the park gates are about to close.....Both old people and young adults entering the park turned back home out of fear of knife crime from kids.....I later learned that all the kids involved were just from one school... 80 behaving like hooligans from one school is no minority.....

I have had teens running across roofs and hiding their faces behinf hoodies......I have seen teenage girls parading down the high street taking the micky out of old bearded men outside a temple...

The sad fact now is depending on area is that what may have been in the past regarded as a minority of teens behaving badly is now becoming and ever increasing amount.

It's wrong to stereo type anyone including older people of which some are short tempered probably because they can compare the past with the present and feel total despare just as the poster feel total despare as being stereo typed.....Blame the the baddies of your own generation and not the ones that now live in fear of young people who because of a total disintigration of meaninful dicipline so many have gone to the wild side.....
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 08:23 PM #35

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Killian
Quote:
Discuss. We are talking about this in school.

Imo, it quite frankly annoys me, I somethimes wonder that about 80% of people believe that all teenagers are either chavs, thiefs and rude people. Okay, sure the things that are on the newspapers make us look bad, but were not all like that. You come across some elderly people who are nice and friendly to you, but ones I held a door open for them, and they just gave me such an evil look. Its the same when I walk into shops, they look at me expecting to do something.
Dude, you totally just wrote what I was about to say.
Lol, we think alike
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM #36

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
CBB15: Cami Li

Favourites (more):

I think to an extent it's a bit stupid, but I think that a lot of teenagers [myself included] don't realise quite how much we do fit in with/reinforce negative stereotypes.
One thing that annoys me is young people talking loudly at the back of buses. Now last year on my way home from school there would be about 20 of us shouting and singing at the back of the top deck of the bus. Only now, having been sat in the middle of the top deck on my own trying to read a book do I realise how fricking irritating we must have been to everyone else.

As for the whole "young people are all 'hoodies' and thugs" thing, the only people I know who ever intimidate older people are those who look like chavs. This is because when you open a paper and see a story about someone being stabbed or someone killing an old man, they're almost always wearing a tracksuit. Now I'm in no way saying that if you do this you're a murderer, but tbf it's understandable why people are intimidated by this image.
hannah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:54 PM #37

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I wear hoodies to make me feel warm, I understand what your saying and that the press makes it clear that some people wearing chavy clothes are violent, but i just dont like it, how im walking down the street and everyone looks at me, so everytime someone does that, I would just walk passed them and say Hi. I do that alot now.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM #38

I saw an 80 year old lady with her hood up today, loitering outside Superdrug, ****ing yob.
Jack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 PM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I wear hoodies to make me feel warm, I understand what your saying and that the press makes it clear that some people wearing chavy clothes are violent, but i just dont like it, how Im walking down the street and everyone looks at me, so everytime someone does that, I would just walk passed them and say Hi. I do that alot now.
I'm not saying that everyone who wears hoodies is a thug, I'm saying that the media seem to have constructed it that way, and therefore a lot of people believe it now.

I don't blame the media, they post a photo of someone, say what they did, and that's that. The majority of these people happen to dress the way they do, that's all. The papers don't say PEOPLE WHO WEAR HOODS ARE KILLERS [cont. p7]. It's the people who read them's faults for taking it all in and not bothering to meet young people and make their own opinions
hannah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM #40

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by hannah.
Quote:
I wear hoodies to make me feel warm, I understand what your saying and that the press makes it clear that some people wearing chavy clothes are violent, but i just dont like it, how Im walking down the street and everyone looks at me, so everytime someone does that, I would just walk passed them and say Hi. I do that alot now.
I'm not saying that everyone who wears hoodies is a thug, I'm saying that the media seem to have constructed it that way, and therefore a lot of people believe it now.

I don't blame the media, they post a photo of someone, say what they did, and that's that. The majority of these people happen to dress the way they do, that's all. The papers don't say PEOPLE WHO WEAR HOODS ARE KILLERS [cont. p7]. It's the people who read them's faults for taking it all in and not bothering to meet young people and make their own opinions
Yeahh i understand
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 PM #41

Do you know I remember just how hard being a teenager was! I remember all the pressue to do well, to behave in the expected way, to conform. I also remember doing the oppositie of everything that was expected of me. Maybe if we were a little kinder in what we expected we would all be happy.

I find old people to be less tolerant, ruder and more bloody minded than most of the teenagers I know. I cringe when I see an elderly person approaching in a busy supermarket as I know I will get battered with a trolley without apology, and why, because I should have got the hell out of the way, dont I know it is their right to go through that gap first lol
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 PM #42

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Quote:
Can some of us oldies have a say?

Sometimes when you see a group of teenagers with their hoods up in the middle of the street, it is easy to see why they could be seen as intimidating.
Have you seen your avatar? Mafia much?
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
sterotyped, teenagers