Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Reality TV Reality TV Show Discussion. Including Survivor, America's Next Top Model, RuPaul's Drag Race and The Only Way is Essex.

Old 28-04-2002, 04:45 PM #26

Overall the show was great, but it didn't really kick in for a bit. Korben was good and though he was a bit dodgy on the week he left, I thought Aaron was more ropey. I've never seen the joy of Aaron, but he's a competent singer. Jessica's performance was solid, but she sounded like she was impersonating Madonna when her voice is better. I'm sure she didn't do it when I saw her. Laura wasn't very good when I saw it, but it was harder to ignore on tv. Rosie was definitely much better when I saw her. She had lapsed into many of her bad singing habits again, and if she can't listen to advice then I don't think she'll ever make it big.

Many people had said the tour should have just been the final 5, and at the time I was pleased to see them all, but the evidence from my tv rather backed that view. Hayley was good, even though heat implied she was average, Zoe has a fantastic voice, but I think she needs to work on the arrangements more. Darius was pure Darius. I think he could do better than Tom Jones numbers, but he does it well and knows how to perform.

I normally listen to Radio 1, and they have hardly played any PI songs, and now Gareth is no longer #1 it has gone from once a week to not at all, so I was surprised at how undull UM was. I still have major doubts over its choice as a first (or any) single, but it was working for me last night.

We got Foxy's thing about how the papers were full of speculation about whether or not Gareth and Zoe were having a romance. By boyfriend and his flatmates made lots of cheeky, and even rude comments at this point, basically refering to him being slightly out of date. I won't repeat them.

During my (personal) concert the duet was very nice, but a bit dull, but I enjoyed it a lot more on tv. I don't know if it suited tv better, or if it was just better. I was very impressed with Gareth's piano playing and wished I'd practiced more as a child. I hope he gets the chance to accompany himself on the piano more often the future. It suits him and his singing style.

Will was effortless, and like with UM, the lack of airplay and general promotion of Evergreen for a few weeks made it fresher. I'm on the record for thinking it's dull, but I really enjoyed it and sang along. Nostalgia kicks in quickly these days doesn't it? I've also been unsure of Light My Fire, and I liked it last night, but I thought he sang it better when I went. Such are the perils of touring. However, I don't think he did the funny moves at the beginning which I quite enjoyed.

I was sad they missed what were (again on my night) good big band numbers, but it was already a long tv show for Saturday night, so it was inevitable. They slightly edited Darius's introduction, which was a shame as the impact of him saying "what about 'Let there be Love'?" was lost.

I really loved the Look at Me Now extravaganza as it seemed they did. I was slightly disappointed by the lack of a bottle of cider under the park bench, but I'll survive. On my night Darius was a backing singer, so they must have changed it around.

Zoe could have done with a little less dancing to give Get Happy full justice, and I could see what she was talking about when she said she'd struggled a bit. It was very good nonetheless.

I laughed out loud for about 5 minutes when the camera failed to capture all of Gareth's sharkbite for Mack the Knife. It looked like he was heading a football off screen or something. Apart from that I didn't think he sang it as well as when I saw it, but I enjoyed the posturing. I noticed they edited out the reprise, so it did look a bit odd him just standing in front of the audience with the face.

Will has clearly got the hang of the stairs as he was far more confident coming down them last night. I can't comment on the dancing, because they let the band have screen time during the instrumental bit!!!!

The singing was of course impeccable, and was he not just so polite introducing My Way? Which, by the way had me choking back the tears. I was surprised it took so long to get some input from Darius, but wondered if it was in the wrong key for him? To pitch it so both the boys and girls could sing it comfortably, it might have just been too tricky for him to do himself justice. It was nice that Will got to give Zoe the flowers though. Did he do that every night, because on my night Zoe had the throat problem, so it was Aaron that came on 3rd and he didn't get any! Was it a last night thing, or a sexist thing?

I don't know how they managed not to cry, because I was. I felt a bit sorry for some of them, because it was probably the last time they will get to sing to such a massive audience like that. However, it's something they can remember forever and look back on with pride.

Ant and Dec looked very proud and wasn't it lovely to see them again?

I heard the tour was going to South Africa because PI was massive there, but it might be a rumour. It's enough to make you want to go on holiday. I'm sure I have some relatives I ought to visit.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2002, 09:41 PM #27
Administrator

Administrator

Wow, what can I add after that impeccable review, Feefs!

Not having had the previous good fortune to have been at a live concert (), I was looking forward to this programme immensely.

I thought Korben was very good, and certainly got the crowd going . It must be difficult to be 'first on' but he did extremely well. Not sure about the dodgy hairdo, though!

Jessica has a lovely, mellow voice but it's just not 'different' enough to allow her to stand out from the crowd. Still, I enjoyed her song, and I hope she does well at the Eurovision Song Contest - I love the song she'll be singing.

Aaron was good, but yet again I was disappointed - his singing seems a little lacklustre. He was excellent in the Final 50 programme but never seems to have recaptured that spark.

Laura has personality by the bucketload, but I'm afraid her singing voice can't quite match up to it. Rosie kind of comes into the same category - very pretty girl and a potentially good voice, but all that warbling just leaves me cold I'm afraid.

Hayley was great and looked fantastic when singing her solo song - but what on earth did she do to her hair for the finale!

Zoe was brilliant at 'Get Happy', and the first duet with Gareth, but I felt that she tried to do a bit too much with the other songs and ended up either going off key or shouting the notes instead of singing them. Possibly over-confidence, but it's still hard to remember that she's still only 16.

Darius was AMAZING! He looked fantastic, his stage presence was fantastic, the pelvic thrusts were fantastic () and he spoke and sang brilliantly.

Gareth's performance of Mack the Knife was great - I remember being extremely cynical at the time of the 'Big Band' week that he could sing that type of song, but he does it fantastically well. Unchained Melody I find boring - sorry - but I did admire the fact that he sang it live and it was as good as the record.

Now ................. who have I forgotten?

Oh yes ..... Will!

Our Pop Idol was brilliant! LOVED the moves at the start of Light My Fire - what an entrance! Evergreen was impeccable as always, and Beyond the Sea was brilliant - even the 'funky chicken' moves!

But why, oh why, wasn't he given a bit more star billing? Maybe it was different at the live concerts, but my impression was that Gareth and Zoe got more air time than Will - they even had him doing backing vocals on one of their duets - HOW RUDE!

My overall impression of the concert - fan-bloody-tastic. I just wish I could have seen it live.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-04-2002, 06:35 PM #28

...... and I agree with everything pretty much that has been said!!

If I had to pick the top 5 over again it would be:

1. Will
2. Darius
3. Zoe
4. Korben
5. Gareth

after that would be
6. Jessica
7. Hayley
8. Aaron

Joint last - Laura and Rosie

It's weird because at "my" concert I thought Rosie sang pretty well, but in the concert she was awful, as bad as when she sang the Abba song and not in tune at all! She seemed to sing better if she tackled a song in an almost "crooning" style rather than trying to belt it out at full blast.

Will, well he was amazing, so sweet as well. I loved the bits that they did backstage, especially the one where he came and stood behind Ant and Dec while they praised the other contestants, and he tried not too look miffed.
kaphc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 04:51 PM #29

Default Yes! I have!

I have heard all about the story about Gareth and Hayley. Will and Gareth have both been on This morning on ITV1 and said that this isn't true! I am very angry with the papers for putting this idea into peoples heads!
LaurieBullas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 04:54 PM #30

Hi Laurie

Welcome to the board

As we have said many times on this board you have to take everything the tabloids say with a very large pinch of salt. One of these days they may slip up and make the mistake of printing something accurate

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
concert, idol, live, pop, tv