Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-06-2010, 10:25 AM #26
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
Neither does Christianity nor most other organised religions. The basic tenets of most religions are peace and love. Surely the assessment of how violent the adherents of any particular religion should be how many acts of violence have been committed in its name as opposed to what they preach.

Its the people doing the organising that promote the violence and hate. Using religion for their own agenda.
I kinda disagree with the second sentence because there's a big distinction between Buddhism and other religions, With Christianity and Islam there's violence at it's core (stoning none believers, Adulterers, Gay people ETC) and a history of violence commited in it's name. Buddhism doesn't speak a word about hate, it even says to respect other religions and their holidays and values as long as they promote good will.

I agree with the last sentence though, it's the main reason I hate organised religion. Islam and Christianity are violent religions yes but most of it's followers are inteligent enough not to share their more violent beliefs. It's just the few that use the easily led for their own goals. Buddhism isn't innocent either but I think at it's core it's not as bad as others.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 01:53 PM #27
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

At the end of the day, Islam and the West don't mix. And we shouldn't be trying to let it.
Old 19-06-2010, 02:17 PM #28
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I kinda disagree with the second sentence because there's a big distinction between Buddhism and other religions, With Christianity and Islam there's violence at it's core (stoning none believers, Adulterers, Gay people ETC) and a history of violence commited in it's name. Buddhism doesn't speak a word about hate, it even says to respect other religions and their holidays and values as long as they promote good will.

I agree with the last sentence though, it's the main reason I hate organised religion. Islam and Christianity are violent religions yes but most of it's followers are inteligent enough not to share their more violent beliefs. It's just the few that use the easily led for their own goals. Buddhism isn't innocent either but I think at it's core it's not as bad as others.
Then that shows what little you know of the basis of Christianity.

What violence is actually at the core of Christianity? The death of Jesus? Stoning non believers, adulterers etc is a Jewish/Muslim punishment.

Nowhere in his ministry or teachings does Jesus advocate stoning of anyone, nor any sort of violence, in fact he stops a stoning doesnt he? I think he advocated something along the lines of peace on Earth and goodwill to others. Forgiveness, turning the other cheek, brotherly love etc.

It isnt so much the religion as the motivations of the people using the religion to achieve their aims.

You could I suppose argue about the Crusades, subjugation of indigenous populations etc done in the name of Christianity, but that wasnt done at the request of Jesus was it? It was done by ambitious people using the religion to gain wealth, the mistaken belief it would gain them admission to heaven, fame, etc.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 03:36 PM #29
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Then that shows what little you know of the basis of Christianity.

What violence is actually at the core of Christianity? The death of Jesus? Stoning non believers, adulterers etc is a Jewish/Muslim punishment.

Nowhere in his ministry or teachings does Jesus advocate stoning of anyone, nor any sort of violence, in fact he stops a stoning doesnt he? I think he advocated something along the lines of peace on Earth and goodwill to others. Forgiveness, turning the other cheek, brotherly love etc.

It isnt so much the religion as the motivations of the people using the religion to achieve their aims.

You could I suppose argue about the Crusades, subjugation of indigenous populations etc done in the name of Christianity, but that wasnt done at the request of Jesus was it? It was done by ambitious people using the religion to gain wealth, the mistaken belief it would gain them admission to heaven, fame, etc.
Fair points, although I might have been thinking of the old Testament. I'm pretty sure there was some death sentences and such in there.
Old 19-06-2010, 03:51 PM #30
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOMBAI View Post
What a vile, hateful bunch - they should not have been allowed to attend the march! If they hate our country and what it stands for so much - then they should leave! Simple - just a bunch of leeches!
Totally agree with this.

Bunch of mindless idiot tbh. (The extremists, not muslims in general...)
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 03:54 PM #31
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Fair points, although I might have been thinking of the old Testament. I'm pretty sure there was some death sentences and such in there.
Yeah there are lots of deaths murders rapes, adultery etc in the OT, there are also all forms of support to back up any particular belief.

But Christians look upon the OT as proof that God would send a Messenger, his son, that he would be born of the House of David etc.

It also provides Christians with the basic laws from God that jesus would have lived by, the ten commandments etc. A bedrock if you like for him to build his ministry on. The history of the people from who he was descended etc.

The New Testament also sort of accepts that the reader would have an understanding of the Old Testament particularly about gods promises to man (sending a saviour etc).
Old 19-06-2010, 04:01 PM #32
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Yeah there are lots of deaths murders rapes, adultery etc in the OT, there are also all forms of support to back up any particular belief.

But Christians look upon the OT as proof that God would send a Messenger, his son, that he would be born of the House of David etc.

It also provides Christians with the basic laws from God that jesus would have lived by, the ten commandments etc. A bedrock if you like for him to build his ministry on. The history of the people from who he was descended etc.

The New Testament also sort of accepts that the reader would have an understanding of the Old Testament particularly about gods promises to man (sending a saviour etc).
Ah I see, fair enough.
Old 19-06-2010, 04:45 PM #33
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

And going back to Buddhism, I presume you never heard about the Sarin attacks in Japan in 1995

Sarin is a form of nerve agent, it kills relatively quickly by stopping certain chemical enzymes from working within the body, some of the symptoms are difficulty in focusing, increased sweating, muscle twitching then spasms, involuntary urination and defecation, vomiting, then cessation of breathing.

The attack was perpetrated by the Aum Shinrikyo on the Tokyo subway killing 12 commuters, seriously injuring 54 and affecting 980 more. Some estimates claim as many as 5,000 people were injured by the sarin.

They were also responsible for another sarin attack in the Japanese city of Matsumoto, Nagano, killing eight and harming 200 more.

The Aum Shinrikyo are a buddhist sect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo
Old 19-06-2010, 07:20 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
At the end of the day, Islam and the West don't mix. And we shouldn't be trying to let it.
Totally agree with you, too many differences!

Those pics make me totally sick, its a disgrace that they allowed to get away with it all, send them all to an islamic country cos they obviously not happy with uk and what we believe in...
sarza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 08:44 PM #35
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarza View Post
Totally agree with you, too many differences!

Those pics make me totally sick, its a disgrace that they allowed to get away with it all, send them all to an islamic country cos they obviously not happy with uk and what we believe in...
Trouble is they want to leech off our more successful economy, benefit from our democratic society - including free speech - whilst at the same time preaching nothing but hate for our way of life and attempting to murder our citizens! I would chuck the lot of them out - only way to safeguard our own citizens! Priorities - we need to protect our own!
WOMBAI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 12:56 AM #36
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Religion is purely personal, but when dictated, it becomes corrupted.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:21 AM #37
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
Religion is purely personal, but when dictated, it becomes corrupted.
Very true.
Old 20-06-2010, 12:28 PM #38
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:

Feudal Asia isn't exactly the first thing that springs to mind when I think of peace and harmony.

If there is a fundamental difference between Christianity and Buddhism, it is in its philosophy towards life. Christianity offers the answers to "why"... all the big questions. Why are we here? Why do good people get punished in life evil people rewarded? What happens after we die? And it promises something far better in the afterlife and reassures the believer that this life is simply a temporary stage.

Buddhism proposes that we stop asking these questions and offers a way of dealing with life's ugly realities and, in turn, accepting them.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 01:19 PM #39
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
Feudal Asia isn't exactly the first thing that springs to mind when I think of peace and harmony.

If there is a fundamental difference between Christianity and Buddhism, it is in its philosophy towards life. Christianity offers the answers to "why"... all the big questions. Why are we here? Why do good people get punished in life evil people rewarded? What happens after we die? And it promises something far better in the afterlife and reassures the believer that this life is simply a temporary stage.

Buddhism proposes that we stop asking these questions and offers a way of dealing with life's ugly realities and, in turn, accepting them.
Then again was the feudal period down to Buddhism? I always throught it was just a power struggle between different Warlords and factions instead of anything religion based.

A very good distinction as well, I should have thought about that instead of staying at a more basic level.
Old 20-06-2010, 02:20 PM #40
Banned

Banned

The many ironies of this article do make me chuckle. Here you have a group of Muslin extremists practicing their rights in a democratic society - a paradox if ever I've seen one - and far right groups reacting violently towards it.
setanta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 02:49 PM #41
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
The many ironies of this article do make me chuckle. Here you have a group of Muslin extremists practicing their rights in a democratic society - a paradox if ever I've seen one - and far right groups reacting violently towards it.
Glad I aint the only one seeing the irony in the article
Old 21-06-2010, 12:40 AM #42
NO SURRENDER

Favourites (more):
UBB: Victor
BB11: John James
NO SURRENDER

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If having vile views is grounds for deportation, can we send Kelvin MacKenzie, Ron Atkinson, Gary Bushell, Justin Fashanu, El Proximo and cupid stunt to North Korea please?
do you fancy me or sumat you dickhead, always chattin mans name you know, stop followin me around like a puppy ya fassy
Old 21-06-2010, 12:42 AM #43
NO SURRENDER

Favourites (more):
NO SURRENDER

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If having vile views is grounds for deportation, can we send Kelvin MacKenzie, Ron Atkinson, Gary Bushell, Justin Fashanu, El Proximo and cupid stunt to North Korea please?
difference is pal none of them ppl youve sed wana take our country over n kill every1 what aint muslim
Old 21-06-2010, 01:33 AM #44
Banned

Banned

are you a piss take? just curious.
setanta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 06:59 PM #45

Quote:
ALL organised religions are as bad as each other with the exception of probably Budhism, you never get any extremist Budhists .

You can't really judge an entire group of people by the actions of a few, cut out the problem and don''t tar the rest. Those protesters are obviously idiots and most Muslims would not stand with them, like most Catholics wouldn't support the peadophile priests. You can't define someone by the actions of a few idiots. Is England full of intolerant violent thugs because of the actions of a few idiotic football fans? Is Ireland full of terrorists? Answer to both is obviously no. Not all muslims are extremists wanting to change our way of life either.

You are making a fundamental mistake in thinking religous followers who don't throw bombs or kill are some how not extremists........that is not true.......Any religion that is brainwashed into children from birth is extremist be it islam or other..........The world is awash with religious extremism........Parents who raise there children with their chosen religion before the child is old enough to understand the concepts and consent is EXTREMISM.

The so called moderate religious are the nests from which the extremists emerge............Any one with half a brain cell would realise that you will not control the killer wasps until you first neutralise the nests from which they emerge.

Until the west recognises the real enemy within then world wide terrorism will spread and spread until one day they are fortunate enough to get hold of a mass desrtuction capability..........Then you can say goodby to the world as we know it...........It's not if its when.......... The world leaders are blind to the dangers of all religious addictions......
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
barking, muslim, protesters