Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-08-2011, 03:51 AM #1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Default David Starkey branded racist over riot comments

Quote:
Dr Starkey cited Enoch Powell’s infamous “Rivers of Blood” speech from 1968, which criticised Commonwealth immigration, and suggested it had been “absolutely right in one sense”.

He was described as a “racist” and accused of “tribal bigotry” for his provocative comments.

Referring to last week’s riots, Dr Starkey told BBC2’s Newsnight: “But it was not inter-community violence, this is where he (Powell) was completely wrong.

“The whites have become black. A particular sort of violent, destructive, nihilistic, gangster culture has become the fashion.

“And black and white, boy and girl, operate in this language together, this language which is wholly false, which is this Jamaican patois that’s been intruded in England, and this is why so many of us have this sense of literally a foreign country.

“It’s not skin colour it’s cultural.”

He also commented that by listening to the voice of David Lammy, the black Labour MP for Tottenham, “you would think he was white”.

The provocative commentator was immediately criticised by MPs.

Jeremy Corbyn, Labour MP for Islington North, demanded to know why Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis had not challenged the remarks sooner.

He added: “He tapped into racial prejudice at a time of national crisis. At other times, those comments would be inflammatory but they are downright dangerous in the current climate.”

Paul Flynn, the MP for Newport West, questioned the corporation’s decision to use Dr Starkey as a programme guest.

“One of the great mystery of our time. Why do BBC provide a platform for the twisted, mean, white tribal bigotry rabble rousing of Starkey?” he said on Twitter.

Piers Morgan, the TV presenter, chipped in on the same micro-blogging website, saying: “RIP David Starkey’s TV career. And good riddance. Racist idiot.”

Owen Jones, a left-wing author and Newsnight guest alongside Dr Starkey, described the broadcast as a “career-ending moment” for the historian.

Mr Lammy, asked about the comments, said: “His views are irrelevant - he’s a Tudor historian talking about contemporary urban unrest.

“Today is about Tottenham coming together to clean up and open the High Road after another night of peace. Not about Starkey.”

However, a letter-writer to The Voice newspaper made similar points to Dr Starkey and suggested part of the responsibility for the riots rested with the black community.

Khristian Marcus, who described himself as a “black Londoner” in a “normal job”, said Afro-Caribbean children suffered a lack of discipline due to large numbers of absent fathers and mothers left unable to cope.

He wrote: “What I have seen over the last couple of days and known for a while is we as the black 'community’ have major fault lines running through our family structure, and we are now and have been for the longest time, seeing the manifestation of this.”

Mr Marcus’ letter received significant support from commentators on The Voice’s website.

Dr Starkey said last night: “What I said was not racist. I said skin colour was absolutely nothing to do with it, but that the glamourisation of gangster culture is monstrous and evil.

“To be criticised by Piers Morgan, who represents the pits of the trash culture, is a positive compliment.”

A BBC spokesman said he was unable to yet say whether complaints had been received about Dr Starkey’s comments.

“Whilst we acknowledge that some people will have found David Starkey’s comments offensive he was robustly challenged by presenter Emily Maitlis and the other contributors who took issue with his comments,” he said.
You can watch the interview here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

Of course he made some ridiculous observations (particularly regarding rap music...) but ignoring all of the media furore that's bound to villify him, would you say there is a cultural problem in Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 04:09 AM #2

Geneticists have already proven that there is no such thing as race in humans,. Every human on the planet is mixed race, there are no specific races. If there are no races then racism is impossible.

This is science.
Old 15-08-2011, 04:20 AM #3
V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

Does anyone else find Lostalex as like someone who aspires to be an American version of our Arista?
Old 15-08-2011, 04:42 AM #4
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Does anyone else find Lostalex as like someone who aspires to be an American version of our Arista?

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:24 AM #5

Quote:

i don't aspire to be anyone. I've made my name and you remember it, don't lie.

Does anyone else find Patrick to be someone who aspires to be important?

Last edited by lostalex; 15-08-2011 at 05:25 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:48 AM #6
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

rofl
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 07:03 AM #7
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

The BBC should stop inviting this foul man onto any of their programmes in the future and the BBC should also be heavily chastised for allowing him to rant as he did too.People shouldn't have to pay a licence fee to watch his rantings.

David Starkey at last, I hope has removed himself from any constructive debate anywhere on TV in the future. He is a bigoted,prejudiced,loudmouthed dinosaur whose comments offend the majority and on major issues like this, it's his prejudices he throws into the debate, absolutely awful man.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 07:37 AM #8

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

When I saw this I was like 'what?' then he just kept speaking and it was one of those awkward moments where you see them just digging their own graves
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 08:23 AM #9

He used the wrong words, but we all know what he was talking about.

It annoys me when people try to be self-righteous and pretend to not know what someone is talking about just because they used the wrong language,.

We all know what he was talking about, and he wasn't being racist, he was trying to describe a culture that is not racial but some races claim that they "own" that culture, but the culture he was speaking of is not specifically racial.\

Does it make you feel good to call someone else a racist? Does it make you feel like less of a racist when you call someone else a racist?

I think those are more interesting questions.

Last edited by lostalex; 15-08-2011 at 08:26 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:33 AM #10

"Don't howl Starkey down.
Gangsta culture is a poison spreading
among youths of all races
By Tony Sewell"

"Trouble on the streets:
The highest ideal to which a
man can aspire is to be
a 'philandering, gun-wielding gang leader' "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...#ixzz1V5Xiiy00

Last edited by arista; 15-08-2011 at 09:34 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:43 AM #11

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Starkey isn't a racist - he is just an imbecile.
Old 15-08-2011, 09:54 AM #12
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
He used the wrong words, but we all know what he was talking about.

It annoys me when people try to be self-righteous and pretend to not know what someone is talking about just because they used the wrong language,.

We all know what he was talking about, and he wasn't being racist, he was trying to describe a culture that is not racial but some races claim that they "own" that culture, but the culture he was speaking of is not specifically racial.\

Does it make you feel good to call someone else a racist? Does it make you feel like less of a racist when you call someone else a racist?

I think those are more interesting questions.
Got to agree with you Alex.

Lots of people are aghast that this man should say young white people are influenced by black culture. Just because it's uncortable to hear in this instance doesn't make him wrong. White people have been influenced by black culture for years: Jazz, blues, rock and roll, soul, hip-hop... they're all from black culture and have all been influential to white people.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 10:22 AM #13

Arrow Is David Starkey a racist?

http://www.spectator.co.uk/rodliddle...a-racist.thtml

Quote:
Should David Starkey be made homeless by his local council for his recent “inflammatory” comments about the riots which have so entertained us recently? I do not know who runs Mr Starkey’s local council and I suppose that he is an owner-occupier, rather than living in accommodation subsidised by the rest of us. But clearly, according to many eminent figures, such as the BBC’s camp and self important business correspondent Robert Peston and the sage Piers Morgan, Starkey should suffer some sort of punishment for having said that white chavs were now copying the violent and materialistic culture of the black underclass. Both Peston and Morgan averred Starkey should no longer be allowed on TV. I am not a huge fan of Starkey’s, but I marginally prefer him on my box to either Peston or Morgan, but I suppose that’s by the by. The fact that Starkey was – on this narrow point – incontestably correct does not seem to bother those whose view of the world is blinkered by a terrible fear of being called racist.
Yet again, it was left to the black academic Tony Sewell to make the important points:

“…..for, despite the attempts of some apologists to dress up the looting as a political act against an oppressive Tory establishment, the fact is that the ethos of materialism — or ‘bling’ to use the street term — that pervades urban black youth played a major part in the widespread criminality perpetrated by rioters of all races.

That is why the looters targeted specific stores that are cherished in this culture, such as those selling mobile phones, trainers, sports clothes or widescreen TVs. Let’s face it, there were no reports of the vandals looting bookshops or public libraries.

What motivated the troublemakers was not genuine poverty but rather a raw acquisitiveness that is fuelled by so much in this black-led youth culture, from the imagery in rap videos to the lyrics of hip-hop music. The twin central themes of this world are sex and material possessions….”

Mr Sewell went on to talk about this recent phenomena of “wiggas”, although he did not use the term. This is young urban white chavs adopting the patois, apparel and mindset of black youths. Perhaps the idiotic Peston will call for Sewell to be stripped of his degree, too.
"I am not a huge fan of Starkey’s, but I marginally prefer him on my box to either Peston or Morgan, but I suppose that’s by the by. The fact that Starkey was – on this narrow point – incontestably correct does not seem to bother those whose view of the world is blinkered by a terrible fear of being called racist."

My thoughts, too .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 10:42 AM #14
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by karezza View Post
Starkey isn't a racist - he is just an imbecile.
The habit of criticising someone you disagree with by also insulting them merely acts as an unflattering but accurate mirror..
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 10:52 AM #15

Favourites:

Favourites:

I agree Alex. But the words he was using were stupid LOL as soon as he said them you can just tell it was all gonna go tits up
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 11:12 AM #16
Banned

Banned

He's not a racist, he just put his point across in a bad way.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 11:14 AM #17
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 11:17 AM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

No one's addressed the point about the black man who wrote to The Voice supporting Mr Starkey's comments, and his letter was supported by people in the black community:

"........Khristian Marcus, who described himself as a “black Londoner” in a “normal job”, said Afro-Caribbean children suffered a lack of discipline due to large numbers of absent fathers and mothers left unable to cope.

He wrote: “What I have seen over the last couple of days and known for a while is we as the black 'community’ have major fault lines running through our family structure, and we are now and have been for the longest time, seeing the manifestation of this.”

Mr Marcus’ letter received significant support from commentators on The Voice’s website........."

Are the people mentioned here all racist too? It seems to me that when someone says anything with a racial overtone, lots of white people get upset on black people's behalf. The point is lost, because once white people latch onto the race thing, that's the only thing that is addressed.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
branded, comments, david, racist, riot, starkey