Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-03-2013, 10:29 AM #1

Lightbulb Young drivers could face curfew to cut accident rates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21937188

Quote:
Young drivers could face a curfew as part of government efforts to prevent accidents and reduce "sky-high" insurance premiums.

They could also be made to spend a year learning before taking their tests.

And after they pass, their "probation period", during which six - rather than the usual 12 - penalty points results in disqualification, could be extended.

A fifth of road accidents resulting in death or serious injury involve drivers under the age of 24.

The average annual insurance premium for a 17 to 18-year-old road-users is more than £1,800.

Transport ministers and insurance bosses held talks on Monday on how to improve safety, with a full government green paper outlining possible future legislation to be published later in the spring.

Official statistics show the risk of accidents is significantly raised at night time and, at the meeting, the Association of British Insurers raised the possibility of a curfew for drivers aged 17 to 24.

Another idea discussed was limiting the number of passengers young motorists can carry in their car and a zero-alcohol limit.

Currently drivers can take their test as soon as they are 17, but ministers are looking at creating a minimum learning period, possibly of six months or a year, to give them more on-the-road experience.

Learners could also take lessons on motorways, which is banned at present.

At the moment, newly qualified drivers can be banned from the road for amassing six - rather than the usual 12 - penalty points. This "probationary period" could be extended from two to three years.

And driving tests could change to include more unsupervised driving time, where examiners can observe candidates in more "natural" surroundings to assess their skills.
Good ideas to cut the carnage ......
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:33 AM #2
Jesus.

Jesus.

They're terrible ideas. Either people have the freedom to drive or they don't. The zero alcohol one is a good idea, perhaps, but driving machines around over crowded roads at up 70mph is going to cause accidents. Old people are terrible, and often rely on the reactions of younger drivers to avoid causing more accidents.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:43 AM #3
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I don't agree that older drivers are more of a risk than young drivers. People rarely die because someone is going too slow, they die because someone wants to go faster and they take a risk. On the odd occasion that an old person is responsible for a serious accident it's all over the news. When a young driver is responsible it's put down to the irresponsibility of youth. It's a fact that young drivers are involved in, and responsible for, more accidents because unfortunately, you can't buy experience. A probationary period when engine sizes are limited is called for I think.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:50 AM #4

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus.H.Christ View Post
They're terrible ideas.

Quote:
Either people have the freedom to drive or they don't.
Technically, people don't - they have to be a certain age, meet specified health criteria and pass a test .....

Quote:
Driving machines around over crowded roads at up 70mph is going to cause accidents.
Yep, that's what a lot of younger drivers do ..... and either get killed or kill somebody (often their friends) .....

Quote:
Old people are terrible.
Separate issue .....
Old 26-03-2013, 10:57 AM #5
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I don't agree that older drivers are more of a risk than young drivers. People rarely die because someone is going too slow, they die because someone wants to go faster and they take a risk. On the odd occasion that an old person is responsible for a serious accident it's all over the news. When a young driver is responsible it's put down to the irresponsibility of youth. It's a fact that young drivers are involved in, and responsible for, more accidents because unfortunately, you can't buy experience. A probationary period when engine sizes are limited is called for I think.
I didn't meant that old people cause more serious accidents, I meant that old people are equally bad at driving as people who are newly passed. They cause different problems to recklessness, but they pull out from junctions without looking, then crawl along for a mile building up over 15 mins before they eventually reach cruising speed of 25mph. Brake in the middle of roads for no reason, and a catalogue of other driving sins.

If they regulate the drivers at the beginning, the need to regulate the ones at the end to, but bad drivers will be bad drivers, regardless of age.
Old 26-03-2013, 10:57 AM #6
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post

Technically, people don't - they have to be a certain age, meet specified health criteria and pass a test .....

Yep, that's what a lot of younger drivers do ..... and either get killed or kill somebody (often their friends) .....

Separate issue .....

Thanks for that, Omah.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:00 AM #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Did you watch "Motorway Cops" last night?

Angus "No-Nonsense" Nairn was patrolling on a stretch of motorway with roadworks and a 40 mph restriction when he was overtaken by a BMW doing 85. When Angus gave chase, the BMW went up to 105 mph, still in the 40 limit. Eventually, the driver pulled over and, guess what, he was young (and foreign). Angus gave him a stern lecture, advising him that he was not capable of driving a BMW and should consider a Fiat or, maybe, a Fiesta .....

Subsequently, the case went to court because the offence was too serious for a ticket .....
Old 26-03-2013, 11:00 AM #8

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for that, Omah.
No problem .....
Old 26-03-2013, 11:10 AM #9

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

Lessons on the motorway? Yeah let's just increase the chances of accidents BEFORE they pass.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:26 AM #10
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
I didn't meant that old people cause more serious accidents, I meant that old people are equally bad at driving as people who are newly passed. They cause different problems to recklessness, but they pull out from junctions without looking, then crawl along for a mile building up over 15 mins before they eventually reach cruising speed of 25mph. Brake in the middle of roads for no reason, and a catalogue of other driving sins.

If they regulate the drivers at the beginning, the need to regulate the ones at the end to, but bad drivers will be bad drivers, regardless of age.
There are some wild generalisations there. Here are some of mine: I rode a motorbike for a couple of years before I passed my car test and so I know quite a bit about people pulling out from a junction. I honestly can't remember old people being more guilty of non concentration than others, if anything women with kids in the car are far worse than any other road user. For instance... I come through a village with a school in every morning and a 30mph limit, and I am regularly overtaken in the village by women who think their kid being late for school entitles them to break the law. I am also regularly bumper-hugged by these idiots on their journey out of the village. Of course, not every women with a kid in the car is like that, it's just my general experience. But I think everyone needs to be regulated, and those with the least experience need to be regulated most.

Last edited by Livia; 26-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:28 AM #11
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Lessons on the motorway? Yeah let's just increase the chances of accidents BEFORE they pass.
Or we could just let them pass, then let them loose on the motorway with zero experience of ever having driven on one.

I also think night lessons should be compulsory.

Hey Marc...
Old 26-03-2013, 11:33 AM #12

Yes Changes need to be made

Life In The Fast Lane
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:34 AM #13
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes Changes need to be made

Life In The Fast Lane
Not very appropriate considering the topic at hand Arista

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:38 AM #14
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I think admiral insurances 'little box' is a great idea, a couple of my daughters friends use them to keep their premiums down.
This may be incorporated into any new rules regarding new drivers , of any age?
Old 26-03-2013, 12:00 PM #15

Load of BS.

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:08 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Not very appropriate considering the topic at hand Arista

Its a Sub Code

Means I am Busy
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:14 PM #17

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Or we could just let them pass, then let them loose on the motorway with zero experience of ever having driven on one.

I also think night lessons should be compulsory.

Hey Marc...
Night yes. But not motorway.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
accident, curfew, cut, drivers, face, rates, young