Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-05-2013, 10:22 AM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
Default Whole life terms for Police Killers - Home Secretary

Criminals who kill police officers in England and Wales will face compulsory whole life sentences, Home Secretary Theresa May is to propose.She will unveil plans for a change in legislation at the Police Federation conference in Bournemouth.

The current minimum sentence for a police murder is 30 years.

The Police Federation said: "We support any move that means a true life sentence will be applied to anyone who murders a police officer."

Mrs May will announce that the government is to propose that the minimum term should be increased to life without parole.

"I am clear that life should mean life for anyone convicted of killing a police officer”
said Home Secretary Theresa May
The home secretary will tell rank-and-file officers: "To attack and kill a police officer is to attack the fundamental basis of our society.

"We ask police officers to keep us safe by confronting and stopping violent criminals for us. We ask them to take risks so that we don't have to.

"That is why I am clear that life should mean life for anyone convicted of killing a police officer."

According to the Home Office, the Criminal Justice Act 2003 permits Justice Secretary Chris Grayling - following consultation with the Sentencing Council - to make an order to change starting points.

This would permit him to change the starting point in this instance from 30 years to a whole life order, meaning offenders could not be released other than at the discretion of the secretary of state on compassionate grounds - for example, if they are terminally ill or seriously incapacitated.

'Severe penalty'

The Sentencing Council, the official body that oversees sentencing in England and Wales, issues guidelines for judges and magistrates to work to for all offences other than murder.

A spokesman said: "Introducing whole life tariffs for those who murder police officers would involve changes to the law, which is a matter for Parliament, rather than the Sentencing Council.

"Government does not have a duty to consult the council, but may choose to."

"The killing of a police officer is a particularly heinous crime that should be punished with the severest possible sentences” said Shadow policing minister David Hanson
Police Federation chairman Steve Williams said: "The public need to have confidence that the criminal sentence they read about in the paper is the sentence the offender completes.

"There is no hierarchy when it comes to victims of murder, however police officers risk their lives on a daily basis confronting danger on behalf of others.

"Would-be offenders must know that they will receive the most severe penalty possible."

Shadow policing minister David Hanson, meanwhile, said: "The killing of a police officer is a particularly heinous crime that should be punished with the severest possible sentences."

"We will support any efforts to achieve that aim," he added.

Mrs May, who will face a question and answer session after her speech, was heckled at last year's conference after she told officers to "stop pretending" they were being singled out and would "have to make their share" of public spending cuts.

Chief Inspector of Constabulary Tom Winsor, who is behind hotly debated changes such as fast-track recruitment and lower annual pay for new constables, will also address officers.

On Tuesday, shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper told the three-day conference that government plans to withdraw from the European Arrest Warrant agreement would make it harder to catch criminals who went on the run abroad.

With respect to the above proposal whilst I agree that Police Killers should face life for a life I have to ask the question: Are we now seeing the end of the liberal ideal of Prison as a tool or Vehicle for punishment & rehabilition.

Are we now saying the Rehabilitation process does not work for certain crimes or that for certain crimes we are not interested in rehabilitation just punishment ??

If thats the case then perhaps all criminals that are jailed are now jailed as a punishment if thats the case then perhaps longer sentencing is required for all crimes.

And why only give this distinction for Police killers, what about Child killers and rapists or killers of other public servants

I do not think the Home Secretary has thought this through in any detail.

Last edited by Nedusa; 15-05-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:09 AM #2

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

I think ALL killers should get life,police aren't anymore important than anyone else,what about child killers,etc,when they kill a child they take away so many more years and a child cannot defend itself,while I think the police are to be respected(most of them) their lives are not worth any more than anyone else,give LIFE with no parole to any killer.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:10 AM #3
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

This definitely won't help public relations with the police at all.
Old 15-05-2013, 11:15 AM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I think ALL killers should get life,police aren't anymore important than anyone else,what about child killers,etc,when they kill a child they take away so many more years and a child cannot defend itself,while I think the police are to be respected(most of them) their lives are not worth any more than anyone else,give LIFE with no parole to any killer.
This! Although the police do put their lives in danger to protect others, and become a target for anyone rebelling against the establishment. I am wondering if this is due to an increase in attacks on the police?

Last edited by Kizzy; 15-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:17 AM #5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

ridiculous proposition, basically suggesting police officers are more valuable than anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:33 AM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
This! Although the police do put their lives in danger to protect others, and become a target for anyone rebelling against the establishment. I am wondering if this is due to an increase in attacks on the police?
They do put their lives in danger Kizzy and I respect that,but innocent victims don't put themselves forward,some areshole decides to do away with them anyway,they have no choice,give them all life I say.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:47 AM #7
0_o

0_o

So the life of a police officer is more important than that of a 'normal' person, or a child? Lovely.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:50 AM #8
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:
BB17: Lateysha

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:
BB17: Lateysha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
So the life of a police officer is more important than that of a 'normal' person, or a child? Lovely.
Took the words out of my mouth, ridiculous idea.

Champions 2013! #20
Thanks for everything SAF- Legend!
Proud HHH fan- TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!
bbfan1991 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:53 AM #9
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

I've always seen the Police as types who look out for their own first. I remember watching a doc about what happens to Police when they **** up. A lot of the time it's covered up or they 'retire'.
Old 15-05-2013, 12:07 PM #10
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

For once I am pleased to be able to say well done to Theresa May for this proposal,the Police do effectively have to go into very dangerous situations where their lives are more easily put at risk.
I do commend her for this action and I cannot stand the Woman. For me she is the worst Home Secretary likely ever.

However,I go with Kazanne and others on here too, hopefully Theresa May or the next Home Secretary will, extend this to all killers, I really cannot see the problem at all with life literally meaning life for anyone who deliberately takes the life of another human being.
So a good start,it's actually taken her ages to do anything right really but set out to extend this to all killers as Kazanne said above.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 12:32 PM #11
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
For once I am pleased to be able to say well done to Theresa May for this proposal,the Police do effectively have to go into very dangerous situations where their lives are more easily put at risk.
I do commend her for this action and I cannot stand the Woman. For me she is the worst Home Secretary likely ever.

However,I go with Kazanne and others on here too, hopefully Theresa May or the next Home Secretary will, extend this to all killers, I really cannot see the problem at all with life literally meaning life for anyone who deliberately takes the life of another human being.
So a good start,it's actually taken her ages to do anything right really but set out to extend this to all killers as Kazanne said above.
Agree with all that Joey.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 01:48 PM #12
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

As much as I hate the police I can see why they're setting a precedent for cop killers. Criminal cant get it into their heads that the police are fair game. A coppers life is not worth more then anyone else but imagine if criminals felt they could do what they liked to the police with no greater consequences. Its a frightening proposition TBH.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 01:50 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post

I agree with the sentiment of your post and think also that convicted murderers should get a proper life sentence especially if there are aggravating circumstances ie rape,child rape, torture etc.... BUT when the circumstances are not so clear or there are serious mitigating factors then the argument becomes less clear.

Take the case of people convicted of murdering a loved one or family member and the case is decided by a jury and the Judge has to pass a life sentence. But we have seen these types of sentences being quite low ie 25 years with possible parole after 12 to 15 years, quite a bit different from a whole life tariff which could be anything up to 80 years or more !!!!

This whole area of criminal sentencing needs some serious attention as sentencing guidelines are open to wide interpretation depending on the Judge in question.

I agree cases of aggravated murder with clear pre-meditated intent against public servants engaged in protecting society should receive WL tariffs as this could act as a deterrent to criminals who think a life sentence can be as low as 15 years (especially if there are very large amounts of money awaiting the criminal at their release).
Old 15-05-2013, 02:04 PM #14
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I can see why this has been suggested. The police do a dangerous job; I wouldn't want to do it, nor would I want to deal with the lowlifes they have to deal with on a daily basis. There is a much bigger risk of them than there is of an ordinary member of the public being in a life-threatening situation where the only chance someone might have to escape is to kill a police officer. If the penalty for that was higher it may make people think twice. However, I think all pre-meditated murder should carry a compulsory whole-life sentence.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 02:19 PM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I can see why this has been suggested. The police do a dangerous job; I wouldn't want to do it, nor would I want to deal with the lowlifes they have to deal with on a daily basis. There is a much bigger risk of them than there is of an ordinary member of the public being in a life-threatening situation where the only chance someone might have to escape is to kill a police officer. If the penalty for that was higher it may make people think twice. However, I think all pre-meditated murder should carry a compulsory whole-life sentence.
Yeah, too right. I agree with all that as well

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 02:41 PM #16
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Imagine if people thought they could do whatever to the police with no consequences? Imagine what it'd be like on a Saturday night at your local pub at last orders?

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 02:58 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
ridiculous proposition, basically suggesting police officers are more valuable than anyone else.

She is giving the Cops some Fresh meat
before loads get sacked.

I can understand why she did this
the Police being killed will be less
after it is full law

Sign Of The Times
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 03:19 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

If I am reading this correct then this proposed change would have to go before Parliament before it can be approved. I hope Parliament uses the opportunity to have a much wider debate on sentencing across all areas of crime especially crimes of violence against people.

I think we need clearer longer sentences for convicted criminals of crimes of this type. Also why pass a custodial sentence of 10 years on someone if they can get released in 5 years ? Whats the point of that , it makes the original sentence pointless especially when this type of system is applied at the high end of the sentencing spectrum ie 30 years and eligible for parole in 15 ??

Would it not make more sense to sentence someone to 15 years but sanction an increase to a max of say 25 yrs if the prisoner committed more crimes in prison or was constantly causing trouble ??. Effectively turning the current scheme on its head this would mean the initial sentence would be the sentence passed by the judge and all of this sentence would have to be served. Forget about the prisoner behaving him or herself to get the sentence cut, they would have to do this anyway so as not to get the sentence INCREASED...

I think this would be a better system and if it required some new prisons to be built then so be it... tell me where to send my donation and I'll send it off ASAP

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
home, killers, life, police, secretary, terms