Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-01-2014, 04:42 PM #1

Default Fracking Gas backed By Labour, LibDem and Conservative

So all 3 want Fracking of our underground Gas.

Arrests as protesters try to stop tankers entering the Salford site today.

http://news.sky.com/story/1194087/fr...ls-drill-money

So Kizzy all 3 back Fracking
providing its safe.

Last edited by arista; 13-01-2014 at 04:43 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 04:56 PM #2
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I don't care what politicians say, I care what geologists say.
There was no question it was going ahead whatever the science said.
Old 13-01-2014, 05:04 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I don't care what politicians say, I care what geologists say.
There was no question it was going ahead whatever the science said.

Yes well they will do a Report for Each Area.

why is Labour backing this?
Old 13-01-2014, 05:47 PM #4
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes well they will do a Report for Each Area.

Because they all have the same interests at heart.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 07:21 PM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I didn't really expect any major party to come out against this.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:55 PM #6
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

Well this is awful.
Old 13-01-2014, 10:10 PM #7
Z

Z

I think this is exciting. I don't know if it's the right thing to do in some senses and in others I think it is the right thing to do... the UK has too much riding on oil and gas to pass up our only viable new way of getting more from our own territory
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:27 PM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

Because no matter how many times the inevitable is stalled with new discoveries, the fact is, the world's fuel resources are running out... and the **** is going to hit the fan when they do... so they're all in a slow, silent panic. They have to back this. They have to back it even if it is dangerous. They have no other viable alternative to scraping the bottom of the resources barrel at this point.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 04:47 PM #9

Fracking will destroy the environment, which is probably the Conservatives aim. They have been a disgrace since they were elected in 2010.
DDRickyDD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 04:49 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Fracking Hell..............!!!!
Old 14-01-2014, 04:57 PM #11
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Because no matter how many times the inevitable is stalled with new discoveries, the fact is, the world's fuel resources are running out... and the **** is going to hit the fan when they do... so they're all in a slow, silent panic. They have to back this. They have to back it even if it is dangerous. They have no other viable alternative to scraping the bottom of the resources barrel at this point.
This tbh

I would rather risk the environment than run out of fuel sometime in the next few years. We are already screwing the environment anyway.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 05:05 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
This tbh

I would rather risk the environment than run out of fuel sometime in the next few years. We are already screwing the environment anyway.

Great Post Vicky
Old 14-01-2014, 05:10 PM #13
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
This tbh

Seriously? You don't care what we leave for Skye?

We have the means to utilise our current resources far more than we do, but we don't want to make the investments/upset business.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 09:46 PM #14
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post

We have the means to utilise our current resources far more than we do, but we don't want to make the investments/upset business.
I agree but I just don't see it happening; a world leading economy would need to be the one to take the plunge in a decisive manner that the rest of the world would have to follow. Essentially the USA needs to be the one to say no, we need to protect the environment and be self sustainable and the rest of the world needs to follow suit... but unfortunately I just don't think it'll ever happen until all of the oil and gas is gone... because at the moment there's just this global stalemate primarily between the USA and Russia, and then countries who have so much sway in oil and gas operations like most of the Middle East, some European countries and a couple dotted about in South America and Africa, who would lose a lot of revenue if they just gave up on oil and gas...

It'll only happen when it makes more financial sense to stop using oil and gas, which will probably be when it's too late to fix the damage caused by it. Even if the American population was in popular support of withdrawing from oil and gas trade; the USA isn't about to loosen its grip on that industry because then Russia would gobble up all of that market space and have even more of a monopoly on it; thus more power and would suck more countries into its political orbit by default; which isn't something they'd want to do. I'd say it's not just about upsetting businesses but equally it's about geopolitics and about the world's major powers not wanting to risk losing their status for fear of what would happen if they did.
Old 14-01-2014, 09:51 PM #15
0_o

0_o

Quote:

Realistically, thats not going to happen though.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 09:57 PM #16
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Fracking won't do massive damage to the environment anyway despite a lot of the scaremongering, people opposed to it tried to say it would contaminate the water supply but the water industry themselves have found it to be safe. In America they've actually been able to cut their carbon emissions by making use of fracking rather than just relying on coal
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:02 AM #17
Z

Z

The only reason fracking hasn't been explored as a possibility until recently was that it was easier to drill into the ground than to faff around with figuring out how best to go about fracking for energy resources; I feel that a small (but significant nonetheless) portion of the criticisms of fracking are more just a criticism of the oil and gas industry rather than of the process itself.
Old 15-01-2014, 12:04 PM #18
-

-

Quote:

The level of investment required to make renewable energy viable for 100% of our energy needs is simply unaffordable. When non-renewable resources stop being a viable source of our energy needs, the entire global human system is going to collapse spectacularly on its arse, and frankly, most people are simply going to slowly die off.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I'll be teaching my children (to then pass on to their children) ways to survive (and not just survive, but live well, and happily) without relying entirely on modern human convenience. I don't think it's going to be "all over" in my lifetime, or even my children's lifetimes, but my grandchildren and great-grandchildren? I just don't know.

On the other hand - I would rather have them scrape the barrel for as long as they can so that myself and my direct descendants won't have to experience the brunt of that social collapse. Maybe even buy enough time to develop economically viable alternative energy sources, who knows? I tend to doubt it, but then, I'm a pessimist.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 01:09 PM #19
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
The level of investment required to make renewable energy viable for 100% of our energy needs is simply unaffordable. When non-renewable resources stop being a viable source of our energy needs, the entire global human system is going to collapse spectacularly on its arse, and frankly, most people are simply going to slowly die off.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I'll be teaching my children (to then pass on to their children) ways to survive (and not just survive, but live well, and happily) without relying entirely on modern human convenience. I don't think it's going to be "all over" in my lifetime, or even my children's lifetimes, but my grandchildren and great-grandchildren? I just don't know.

On the other hand - I would rather have them scrape the barrel for as long as they can so that myself and my direct descendants won't have to experience the brunt of that social collapse. Maybe even buy enough time to develop economically viable alternative energy sources, who knows? I tend to doubt it, but then, I'm a pessimist.

Yeah, that's all very entertaining, and I'm sure it strikes a chord with many people (who watched more than 5 minutes of that dreadful Revolution show that was on), but it seems the least likely result of the energy crisis. You are seriously deluded if you think that the elites are prepared to just accept that the breakdown of society is on it's way.

They have far too much to lose, so this issue will be addressed. Also, you have to look at human history - we start making things, and we learn to make it better and better and cheaper and cheaper. Science is continuing to grow and develop ways of dealing with such things.

China will become the absolute world leaders, because they are investing more and more into new technologies, whilst the current crumbling empire of the US will continue to retreat because most of the country still believes that climate change is an impossibility, because it isn't in the bible.

it's the same with marijuana at the moment - the US are slowly coming round to it, we aren't even having the conversation in this country, and China are busy researching and filing record numbers of patents relating to it's use in medicine.

Yes, green/renewable energy at the moment is too expensive, but the more that is invested, the cheaper it will become. That's just how technology works.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 05:27 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Whenever any new technology comes along there are risks involved and of course like the proposed H2S rail scheme people living near these "fracking" areas are going to be pissed off. But we are in an energy hole that can't be filled by renewable green technologies anytime soon. So the possiblity that there is up to 1,300 Trillion Cu mtrs of Gas awaiting retrieval is a huge carrot to the Energy Companies.

Like in the States expect to see the smaller companies get involved first before the big Oil majors start to move in after the majority of the teething problems have been sorted out.

Even if only 0.05% of these Gas reserves are realised then this will help the Govt's coffers in tax revenue and of course make our energy bills cheaper.

So I think we need to stay with this and try and improve the technologies and focus on the environmental costs/risks to ensure this fledgling industry follows all the rules and does not try to cut corners...............
Old 15-01-2014, 05:29 PM #21
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I agree with what Lord Howell said, just do all the fracking up north, don't need to worry about ruining the land up there
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 12:08 AM #22
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I agree with what Lord Howell said, just do all the fracking up north, don't need to worry about ruining the land up there
Frack off!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
backed, conservative, fracking, gas, labour, libdem