Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:42 PM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Wouldn't that just be more confusing... if a child was attacked and they didn't know it was 'rape' then how could they explain what had happened to them...They wouldn't have a clue how, what or why.
Well, they could say that they were attacked / hurt by someone and then describe in what way and it should then be pretty obvious.

Like I said I think 11 is just slightly too young for some children. Not for others. I was quite "worldly" as a young child, I loved TV and movies and age ratings were never a concern, and I would say I probably knew and understood a lot of the world's "uglies" from at least 9 or 10. On the other hand, I know a girl who was terrified watching "Doctor Who" when she was 11, and didn't sleep for weeks. So it's just too much for some.

13/14 I would say is a better age for learning about these things in more detail, as that's when most teenagers will have started to develop sexually and some will have started to "experiment" a bit. I do think it's important to educate about it then.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 PM #27
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

With the risk of infection it's more important a child knows the specific difference between sexual touching and rape I'd say, as kids go to high school at 11 they learn all the subjects they need to carry them through into adulthood, personally I think that includes awareness of abuse of all kinds.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 PM #28

I would agree that it should be the parents judgement call and responsibility but as not all parents will discuss these things for a multitude of reasons basics should be covered in school. I honestly don't know at what age though although just starting high school I guess is a good time as the will be very little fish in a big pond and need to know what is acceptable and what not.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 PM #29
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I haven't any children myself but thinking back to when I was 11, it was actually around that time that my older Brothers started informing me as these issues.

At School, I had already heard older lads of 14 and 15 going on about it too so I agree with Nicky Morgan on this one.

Sadly, in this day and age, children need to be warned of the dangers they face, and I would still guess this will be done in a sensitive,constructed and sensible way from 11 onwards.

I think it is not before time too really, Parents should be the ones to inform as to these issues but so many don't know how to or even want to I would guess.
11 may seem young, but better warned of the dangers and know as much as is possible to relay than finding out in the worst possible way and ending up scarred for life possibly.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I haven't any children myself but thinking back to when I was 11, it was actually around that time that my older Brothers started informing me as these issues.

At School, I had already heard older lads of 14 and 15 going on about it too so I agree with Nicky Morgan on this one.

Sadly, in this day and age, children need to be warned of the dangers they face, and I would still guess this will be done in a sensitive,constructed and sensible way from 11 onwards.

I think it is not before time too really, Parents should be the ones to inform as to these issues but so many don't know how to or even want to I would guess.
11 may seem young, but better warned of the dangers and know as much as is possible to relay than finding out in the worst possible way and ending up scarred for life possibly.

Yes on this one point
Conservative Education Sec. Nicky Morgan
is right.

but sadly
on LooseWomenHD
on the panel half agree
half do not - typical

I can not check on Mumsnet
as they want to beat me up with Kitchen Pastry Wood Roller

Last edited by arista; 09-03-2015 at 07:09 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM #31

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Wouldn't that just be more confusing... if a child was attacked and they didn't know it was 'rape' then how could they explain what had happened to them...They wouldn't have a clue how, what or why.
Might be, but sexual assault is more common than the child rape I think.
Once you teach them to be confident to talk to someone about it,and that it is not their fault, then surely it would follow that they would tell someone about being raped as well.
The majority of these assaults are by somebody known to the victim, very difficult for the child to talk about it, especially if it is someone they trust and love.
In an ideal world the parents would teach their kids, unfortunately, sometimes it is the parents that are assaulting their kids.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:07 AM #32
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

Absolutely should be taught in my view - there's so little point in wrapping kids in cotton wool and waiting for them to hit a certain age before you decide that they're ready to learn about the dark aspects of the world. Girls especially should be made aware of it - they need to know what it is, how to recognise when it could happen and what to do and who to go to if God forbid it should ever happen. Certainly more useful than ****ing algebra.

Last edited by Rob!; 10-03-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Rob! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 AM #33

i remember learning about "bad touching" from a very early age, not sure how old, but definitely very young. I think it's good to teach kids from as early as possible, obviously the language you use for small kids is different than the language you use to teach older kids. but it's definitely important to teach kids how to recognize abuse and molestation from a very young age.

Also it needs to be taught in the schools, because most kids are raped/molested by family members, so you can't trust families to teach the children themselves.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM #34

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

We got sex ed at 11, well the basics of puberty and how a baby is made etc so I think it's only right that children are taught about molestation and abuse so they can speak up about it
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:22 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
....we should teach them about Stranger Danger and inappropriate touching. But don't we do that already.
Statistics show that children are far more at risk of sexual grooming and abuse from adults already in their family or circle of friends.

Stranger Danger, while done to death for years, never prepares a child for the well known and loved adult in their close family circle who takes advantage of them. How does one tell children that those who love them most may be the dangerous adults in their lives!

There are countless examples of fathers, brothers, uncles, school masters, doctors, teachers, hostel staff, carers, staff in nursery and play school etc. who have been responsible for the greatest threat to young children.

I don't know the solution to this terrible problem other than having our children cared for by robots.

Last edited by Angelika; 10-03-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling!
Angelika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:48 PM #36
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F

When I was 11, "rape jokes" (which really piss me off) were considered funny and something to laugh about. I think if people were educated at a young age they would see that it really is not funny while protecting them from rapists at the same time. I think it's a really good move.
JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:12 PM #37
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
When I was 11, "rape jokes" (which really piss me off) were considered funny and something to laugh about. I think if people were educated at a young age they would see that it really is not funny while protecting them from rapists at the same time. I think it's a really good move.
That's a very good point indeed JoshBB, really well said.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
11year, learn, olds, rape, schools, uk