Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB8 Big Brother 8 was won by Brian Belo. Post about 2007's series here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Ash
Quote:
Originally posted by Cody™
the point isnt whether she meant it or not.. the point is that she said it and if channel 4 did not act upon it then they'd be in big trouble this time round. channel 4 made the right decision and people should be careful when they use such words.
I agree, and the fact that C4 handled the situation like this means it's not done them a great deal of damage and we can watch future BBs as long as there are viewers (of which there are plenty).

I'm white a lot of my family are mixed race of chinese/white origin and black/white origin... I call them *****s when talking to them because they call themselves *****s and none of them are truelly black.

note that ***** and ****** are completly different things
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM #27

Quote:
Originally posted by ~~
Communicate through her love of music? I love music. Would never dream of doing something like this! N****r is a slang word used in a derogatory way against black people. P*ki is also one. Are these acceptable words to refer to people as? So if I said "You pushing it out you p*ki", is that acceptable too?
But remember how Shahbaz branded himself a '**** puff'? That's two discriminatory terms and no one seemed to give this a second thought.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM #28
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz0
But I also have a feeling that if Charley had called Emily 'white trash' (which could be considered offensive and obviously isn't true in Emily's case anyway but IF), there wouldn't have been much said about it.
Exactley
Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM #29

Quote:
Originally posted by SxcMegzy
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash
Quote:
the point isnt whether she meant it or not.. the point is that she said it and if channel 4 did not act upon it then they'd be in big trouble this time round. channel 4 made the right decision and people should be careful when they use such words.
I agree, and the fact that C4 handled the situation like this means it's not done them a great deal of damage and we can watch future BBs as long as there are viewers (of which there are plenty).

I'm white a lot of my family are mixed race of chinese/white origin and black/white origin... I call them *****s when talking to them because they call themselves *****s and none of them are truelly black.

note that ***** and ni**er are completly different things
Yeah, I'm on about C4's reputation.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM #30
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy

That is not what I mean.. what I'm saying is that she may not have meant it in the way we think it was said.. I'm not saying once you watch the show we go "ok, that's fine she's joking" that's not what I'm saying at all.. I'm just meerly saying she may not have meant to cause this stir and could well be regretting it big time. I'm not saying it's ok to do it/say it or anything like that just that she may not have meant it.
Amy how else could a racist term such a n@ggar be used???. Exactly you cant! Emily ment it when she said that word. I dont see using that word as a joke towards soemone who is coloured. I hope they throw the book at Emily for her racist behaviour.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM #31

Quote:
Originally posted by GiRTh
Quote:
Originally posted by stella
Im sorry i think racism is poo i dont believe in it if these rappers can use the N word in their music and call it each other then why should it be a problem when a white person uses the word
How many times do i have to answer this one?

First of all, I have to point out that I'm of Jamaican ancestry. Now, this word was a word that I grew up hearing over and over again. No one uses this word like my mother. Trust me.

The whole point is that - when black people use this word we know what we are saying. When a a white person uses this word we don't know what they're saying. So my advise to white people is to avoid using this word in the presence of a black person because we don't know what you're trying to say by using this word. It's double standard, I know, but it's like telling racist jokes. Jewish people can tell Jewish Jokes, black people an tell black joke. Basically, if you're not one then avoid anything that could be construed as racist.
I just think it isn't fair that black people can use the word and it's OK and white people can't. If the word is unacceptable nobody should be allowed to use it. White, black, asian... whatever.

I wonder if Charley would have been thrown out if she said the word to a fellow black housemate?

I get called a Paddy on a regular basis here, but that's never deemed unacceptable. When I could actually take offence to it.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM #32

Quote:
But I also have a feeling that if Charley had called Emily 'white trash' (which could be considered offensive and obviously isn't true in Emily's case anyway but IF), there wouldn't have been much said about it.

Of course not, now I'm not racist by any stretch of the imagination. But in a predominantly white multi cultural country, white people will always draw a short straw.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM #33

What stinks is that if charley had of said White Trash to emily nothing would of happened!!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM #34

Quote:
Quote:

Of course not, now I'm not racist by any stretch of the imagination. But in a predominantly white multi cultural country, white people will always draw a short straw.
Exactly - that's what has come of this country.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM #35

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy21
Quote:
Originally posted by Amy

That is not what I mean.. what I'm saying is that she may not have meant it in the way we think it was said.. I'm not saying once you watch the show we go "ok, that's fine she's joking" that's not what I'm saying at all.. I'm just meerly saying she may not have meant to cause this stir and could well be regretting it big time. I'm not saying it's ok to do it/say it or anything like that just that she may not have meant it.
Amy how else could a racist term such a n@ggar be used???. Exactly you cant! Emily ment it when she said that word. I dont see using that word as a joke towards soemone who is coloured. I hope they throw the book at Emily for her racist behaviour.
I'm not going to get into an argument about this as that's how wars are started.. but please re-read what I said .. I'm taking offence that people are making me out to be racist. When all i've actually said is "she may not have meant it" I'm NOT racist. I've said I don't agree with what Emily has done.. So i'm leaving it here before this all turns into a war.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM #36
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I just think it isn't fair that black people can use the word and it's OK and white people can't. If the word is unacceptable nobody should be allowed to use it. White, black, asian... whatever.

I wonder if Charley would have been thrown out if she said the word to a fellow black housemate?

I get called a Paddy on a regular basis here, but that's never deemed unacceptable. When I could actually take offence to it.
Well said totally agree
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM #37
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

My comparison to racist jokes explains this. If Chris Rock and Bernard Manning tell the same joke then Chris Rock can get away with it. In my post I point out that it's a double standard. I dont celebrate the use of the word i just feel that a white person who I'd never met before would be taking a big risk if they used that word in front of me.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 PM #38

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ~~
Communicate through her love of music? I love music. Would never dream of doing something like this! N****r is a slang word used in a derogatory way against black people. P*ki is also one. Are these acceptable words to refer to people as? So if I said "You pushing it out you p*ki", is that acceptable too?
But remember how Shahbaz branded himself a '**** puff'? That's two discriminatory terms and no one seemed to give this a second thought.
Have you read Girths previous post?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM #39

Quote:
Originally posted by telefan2006
What stinks is that if charley had of said White Trash to emily nothing would of happened!!
How do you know that though?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM #40

Well done to Channel 4, it shows they've learnt although I was enjoying Emily but at the end of the day she shouldn't have said what she said.

Will this be shown on the highlights or is it to risque?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 PM #41

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Amy

I'm not going to get into an argument about this as that's how wars are started.. but please re-read what I said .. I'm taking offence that people are making me out to be racist. When all i've actually said is "she may not have meant it" I'm NOT racist. I've said I don't agree.. So i'm leaving it here before this all turns into a war.
I'm actually agreeing with Amy's point.

I'm willing to debate it, too.

She obviously didn't say it with malicious intent. It's not as if she had any reason to.

Big Brother are just taking all pre-cautions as their reputation is in massive danger since CBB.

It's just becoming ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 PM #42
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_
Quote:
Originally posted by telefan2006
How do you know that though?
I agree Dan. it's hugely presumtious to say that.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 PM #43
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I disagree with racism bieng a load of poo, and I disbeleive that you interpet that as racism. We have not heard it bieng said, sorry but, in this case you can't call her a racist because we've seen the quotes.

She was quoting on Black-Culture, I don't belive she said '******'... I beleive '*****' will be the phrase said. Two intirly different things. ni**er offensive noun, ***** adjective
It IS racism what else can this be???. The convosation transcript has been written down on here on what was said and it looks to me and everyone else like racism. Dont be so nieve and accept this is racism and Emily should get in alot of trouble for this now she has been kicked out of the house.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM #44

What makes me laugh is that there removing contestants in a game show for racism. But where are people to shut down the BNP and white supremicy gangs...

But nope to much to focus on about Evil-Emily and her offensive one woman battle against people of ethnicity different to her.

*please not the sarcasm of the last comment*
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM #45
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy

I'm not going to get into an argument about this as that's how wars are started.. but please re-read what I said .. I'm taking offence that people are making me out to be racist. When all i've actually said is "she may not have meant it" I'm NOT racist. I've said I don't agree with what Emily has done.. So i'm leaving it here before this all turns into a war.
You need to open your eyes Amy and see this is racism and it is not accepted anywhere. If you support her through this then that makes you a racist supporter. I am not getting into an argument with you just stating my opinion.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM #46

Quote:
Originally posted by Ash
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash
Quote:

note that ***** and ni**er are completly different things
Yeah, I'm on about C4's reputation.
I meant to quote someone elses comment lol
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM #47
Banned

Banned

Girth explain to me why Chris Rock telling a racist joke is ok and Bernard manning not......Surely racism who ever says it? Im not prepared to accept this ***** word has double standards im British im in my own country and if i want to use the word i will if a black person( yes they use the word black on sky news should that be took off air) doesnt like it then its tuff sh**t
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM #48

Quote:
Originally posted by ~~
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ~~
Have you read Girths previous post?
Yes I have and I agree that a white person would be taking a risk by calling a black person a ****** but a word should either be deemed offensive or it shouldn't. It shouldn't be okay for one person to use a certain word and not okay for another. I personally wouldn't take offence if someone called me white trash, whether they be black or white but just for the sake of it, I might provoke an outcry if a black person called me that because apparently, that's not acceptable. Oh but if I did, I'd probably be called racist anyway.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM #49

You could all read these articles on Wikipedia and see that this argument has been going on for years and will not be settled any time soon it seems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured

Yeah I know they're longer than 3 lines so some may not bother reading them, but at least it would stop these arguments going round and round on a constant basis.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM #50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Amy

You need to open your eyes Amy and see this is racism and it is not accepted anywhere. If you support her through this then that makes you a racist supporter. I am not getting into an argument with you just stating my opinion.
That's ridiculous.

Amy was saying that she didn't think Emily meant it in an offensive way. That, in no way, makes her a supporter of racism.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
racist, sick, thing