Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-12-2015, 04:35 PM #1
Z

Z

Default The Terror of our Ways

In another thread I mentioned that I'd written a bit of a rambling opinion piece about what was happening in the world in the wake of the Paris attacks... I had sent this to a friend who said he'd see if he could help me get it published but it never went anywhere and I think the moment has passed to get it published in its current form... but I thought I'd share on here to spark some debate and see other people's opinions because, like everybody else, I am only a voice with no solution to any of this... apologies for the length!! You all know I'm very wordy...

Quote:
It’s not a world war until we’re involved. The Paris attacks appear to have taken the majority of us completely by surprise: someone else’s problem showed up in our backyard. We are bombarded with stories about atrocities around the world committed by aggressive organisations, yet it rarely affects us. Since the turn of the century we have arguably only really had to deal with three major organised terrorist incidents in Western territory: the Paris attacks, the London bombings and 9/11.

These calamities (despite the vivid front pages) remain isolated incidents; dramatic episodes which unsettle and intrigue us but ultimately don’t fundamentally change us. Every November 11th we make a symbolic gesture to commemorate the dead and annually recommit to never allowing such atrocities to ever happen again... and, despite the smattering of humanitarian disasters in the intervening years, we have, for the most part, not let our forebears down. We live in a semblance of a united Europe and have produced generations of middle class citizens and a peaceful, slothful apathy to all matters outside of our European bubble.

I believe our selfish introspect has left us blind to the reality of where we stand in the world. We treat the recent influx of desperate refugees as something akin to a zombie horde – a terrifying problem that we’re unable to comprehend, an alien invasion. We fail to understand that the legacy of our colonial past and the reality that our arbitrary borders in the sand have created lasting problems and failed states in their wake. We fail to understand that our futile attempts to impose democracy abroad were always doomed to fail at the hands of our ineptitude, forgetting our own centuries of necessary religious intolerance, bloodshed and strife before our societies were able to usher in democracy. We have been indolent in the face of fear, frenzy and fury; our unions and political red tape haven’t prepared us for this. Our meaningless European values leave us fumbling for useless soundbites to try and explain a problem of our own making. In our largest cities we dump the unfamiliar into modern day ghettos and are bewildered when these neglected, poverty stricken urban sprawls spawn extreme ideas and an endless supply of people to believe in them.

In conventional war, propaganda seeks to dehumanise the enemy, the military seeks to exhaust the opposition and the government seeks to barter for a resolution that benefits them best. This is not a conventional war. We are not fighting a nation, we are fighting an idea: no army can stop an idea. Part of the human experience is a desire to belong to something that is greater than the individual. It’s why we join clubs, armed forces and political parties. Our self-centred society focuses on the individual, not on the collective. The result is a disillusioned, neglected youth prone to turning to drink, drugs and petty crime to alleviate their boredom, and so, we should not be so astonished when this cultural vacuum is filled by an extremist ideology that directly reaches out to them and offers an alternative. We want something to believe in, something that gives meaning to our lives when our tomorrows hold nothing to look forward to. This, more than anything, explains the magnetism of ISIS. It has used social media to exploit globalisation in order to reach out to Europe’s disenchanted youth and appeals to the desire to have a life filled with meaning and identity.

This is not new territory for the West. Communism lost out to capitalism in the great ideological war of the last century, so why are we struggling so monumentally to deal with an ideology so different from our own? We are obsessed with the concept of fighting fair without ever fighting fair ourselves. We are stunned to be attacked in our places of culture, too self-interested to take notice of the motivations of the perpetrators who yearn for an antithesis to our way of life. We don’t consider that we have been bombing the Middle East for decades, killing as indiscriminately as the individuals involved in the Paris attacks.

When anything becomes the norm, we lose interest. That’s not human nature, that’s Western nature. We forget, we always forget. Even in our remembrance, we forget. We notice but we don’t think, we hear but we don’t listen. Elsewhere in the world, people do not forget. They retain the memories of atrocities committed against generations gone by because we don’t afford them the privilege of being able to move on from past injustices, we keep dropping bombs and installing doom-destined, farcical governments to preside over the next descent into chaos.

We are at war, whether we feel like it or not. ISIS cannot be defeated by drone strikes. It is a gun toting Hydra hell bent on achieving recognition and administering retribution. We are haemorrhaging citizens to this historically tumultuous region that has shape shifted thousands of times; has seen great empires rise and fall, and seen the rise of many of mankind’s greatest religions and inventions. We shower innocent civilians with fire and shrapnel and then have the audacity to be outraged when revenge turns up in a suicide vest carrying a Kalashnikov. We have removed the cogs that kept the machines moving and now look in dismay at the many broken parts and don’t know how to fix them. The rejected transplant of democracy has been engulfed in an inferno of tribalism and in the interests of self-preservation; perhaps it might be best to swiftly exit. We are the problem. We have invaded almost every single culture and race with our foreign ideas and our foreign ways of life and imposed them on others. We swapped our empires for an organised system of democratic nation states and a Commonwealth to prop ourselves up; everything changed while nothing changed. It allowed us to forget about the collective bad we had inflicted on the rest of the world. Our comfort and safety are under attack in accordance with the principle of an eye for an eye under Sharia law.

We don’t reflect on our history as an explanation for the incomprehensible actions of people we called our own. We don’t want to understand them as much as they don’t want to understand us; but it is in these conditions which the prospect of war thrives. The concept of statehood is yet another Western import; one that can be most clearly seen in the unnatural borders of Africa and the Middle East. We have a collective responsibility to the nations we created, abandoned and destroyed.

Let the caliphate flourish and fall apart like countless empires before it. The experiments of democracy and statehood have failed: the results are abundant. Why are we opposing the breakup of countries that don’t work? Our logic that if at first we do not succeed, we should try and try again cannot continue to be applied here. The largely ceremonial depositions and assassinations of Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi and Osama bin Laden solved nothing and destroyed everything. Do we really need the removal of Bashar al-Assad to reiterate the understanding that figureheads are only as problematic as the regions they preside over and that taking them away only unleashes those problems? History should teach us not to repeat our mistakes. It’s clear that the states of Iraq and Syria can no longer exist as they once were, and whether we see new states rise from the ashes, the expansion of others or a shift to an uncertain existence of fiefdoms and tribes, only time will tell. The only reasonable solution to the war on terror is to withdraw from the region entirely. The caliphate is here to stay.

Last edited by Z; 15-12-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 05:06 PM #2

"It’s not a world war until we’re involved"

Of course
it can be anyplace
Isis pick
they give no warning
thats why they win
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 05:10 PM #3
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"It’s not a world war until we’re involved"

Of course
it can be anyplace
Isis pick
they give no warning
thats why they win
My meaning is that we in this country don't recognise what's going on in the world as being a 'world war' because we're not under threat of air raids and armies turning up on our doorstep; even though a large number of countries in Europe, Africa and the Middle East are getting drawn into this conflict. I'd arguably say that we've been in World War III since 9/11, if not before then.
Old 15-12-2015, 05:15 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeesus View Post
My meaning is that we in this country don't recognise what's going on in the world as being a 'world war' because we're not under threat of air raids and armies turning up on our doorstep; even though a large number of countries in Europe, Africa and the Middle East are getting drawn into this conflict. I'd arguably say that we've been in World War III since 9/11, if not before then.
Sure
but France has started up a
War On Terror.
Many do not feel safe there
which is normal after such a Evil
Attack

And I get You
on WW3 since 9/11
thats why I have a Bunker
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 07:26 PM #5
User banned

User banned

"We only care when it affects us", that sums up the general dispassionate anti Christian malaise in our vastly over-rated society...
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 08:24 PM #6

There's a saying, 'Good writing is accurate communication that makes the reader want to know more'. I wanted to read more. Everything you said in this blog is staring each and every one of us in the face. Every paragraph is a clear expression of an interesting thought using the right words at the right moment. I want to keep this, bookmark it, read it out to my friends and family. I want to thank you for sharing and for holding my attention enough for me to turn the tv off and just read your thoughts.
Old 15-12-2015, 09:18 PM #7

Wow. I can only agree with DemolitionRed's sentiment. Superbly written and thought-provoking. I would love to see this published as I think this is something everybody could do with reading and thinking about.
AProducer'sWetDream is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 09:58 PM #8
-

-

It's an excellent article, covers a lot of the things I've been saying around here (so it must be excellent, right?)... Unfortunately, failing to have it published was inevitable. It's balanced and fair, you didn't say "ruddy faced terrorists bad! West good!" and, therefore, any chance of anything other than self-publishing becomes almost impossible.

You mentioned the glaring fact that we broke the world. That's not allowed!
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 10:13 PM #9

I think everything some of us have been trying to say over some period of time is well summed up in this post, but because, unlike "Z" we didn't say it all in one post, on one page on the same day, those thoughts came over in a very fragmented way.

I would be interested to hear more thoughts on this post from those on here who disagree with 'Z's blog.
Old 15-12-2015, 10:24 PM #10
Z

Z

Thanks everyone..
Old 15-12-2015, 10:50 PM #11
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Its well written and well argued. I think its strong on a lot of the background to the Western world view. My points of disagreements would revolve around that being over-emphasised though. Yes it's an idea we're fighting but what about the history of that idea itself? What about the history of Islamism and the history of the Middle East? Syria, Iraq, Libya etc. and violent Islam have stories to tell beyond Western policy and Western ideology and those things do not adequately explain everything that has happened. A lot of Middle Eastern countries have battled Islamist insurgencies for decades and decades, and the history of the region has always been an incredibly bloody and fractious one. I don't say that in a sneering way because the same is obviously true of Europe as well but plenty of Islamic nations have similar histories of conquest, imperialism and Empire: it is not all manufactured by the West. We have made mistakes in our attempts to confront the problem but we did not create it imo.

Last edited by MTVN; 15-12-2015 at 10:52 PM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:08 PM #12
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
the history of the region has always been an incredibly bloody and fractious one. I don't say that in a sneering way because the same is obviously true of Europe...
...and Asia... and Africa... and the Americas...

I find that a point not worth making I guess: all of humanity throughout all of history has been "bloody".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:23 PM #13
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

But its often portrayed as if the Middle East was a haven before Western involvement. It's a point worth making because the internal history of the actual region itself is often ignored in favour of narratives that talk about how all issues derive from the West.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:58 AM #14

Look at Iraq, Syria, Lybia, Afghanistan and even the Ukraine and spot the similarities. They all have oil, or major transit corridors running directly to those important fossil fuels, our worlds most valuable commodity. Mark my word, Iran will be next because its sitting on the worlds 2nd biggest gas reserve and Washington is not going to just sit there and tolerate those silk roads between Iran and Pakistan which are being supported and funded by Russia and the worlds biggest oil consumer China.

Black gold will always ensure we intrude into other countries back yards because like it or not, we live in an energy centric world http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175487/

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
terror, ways