Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-01-2016, 06:36 PM #1
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Default Rita Ora discusses being a refugee (old interview, but relevant)

I think this interview is quite important in terms of recent politics surrounding refugees or the 'migrant crisis' as it's put by most media.

When you see headlines that only ever address refugees as a burden, and as part of a figure, it is relatively easy for people to become emotionally detached and unsympathetic towards those fleeing war. While Rita's story is one far less emotional than those out there (which you can search for if you'd like to), I thought I would share this in particular because Rita Ora is someone we all recognise as a 'normal british person'. Most people don't even know she was/is a Kosovan refugee. I think that since she is someone we see in music videos and on TV, people would identify with her more. She is a prime example of a muslim refugee who can integrate fully into society, and I have no doubts that 99% of those refugees who came from Syria and neighbouring countries can do the same.

She describes here that the words 'Get out' are hurtful and I think that they probably are, so while people on the internet may doubt the legitimacy of some/most of the refugees, when you post comments saying that we shouldn't let any refugees in.. or that we should kick them all out.. remember that these are actual human beings with actual human emotions.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

Last edited by MTVN; 18-01-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: fixing YT link