Notices

Big Brother Canada Big Brother Canada 9 started 3th March 2021.

Old 25-02-2016, 12:38 AM #1
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Default Big Brother Canada 4 - Exec Producer Erin Brock talks Casting & the Wildcard Twist.

Quote:
As the doors of the Big Brother house prepare to open to another season of wild, crazy and zany houseguests, we sat down with Supervising Producer, Erin Brock, to get her thoughts on the casting process, the fresh new faces and this season’s international twist.

By: John Powell - GlobalTV

John: Can you tell us what inspired this year’s twist?

Erin: That’s a good question. One of the best things about Big Brother is that we are an international family. Every year, my producing partner and I attend the Big Brother production conference in Holland which hosts Big Brother producers from all over the world, and all of the formats are represented. We share thoughts and ideas and we learn lots of the things from our Big Brother friends. So what I come up with for a big Canadian launch idea has to be fresh, new, and cutting edge because we are a young format. We are only in Season Four. My thought process is always - what can we do that has never been done before?

Big Brother is such an international community and it is so inspirational. My thought this year was…how can we celebrate that? So this year instead of shying away from that international influence, we wanted to celebrate it.

John: That is the strength of Big Brother Canada. It is the perfect hybrid of both the North American format and the international format.

Erin: That was really our goal when we first started producing the show. I have always been fighting for those ideas that felt international and to try not to reproduce a format that has been done before. Our thought was also - what can we do that speaks to the Canadian mentality?

John: What are some of the challenges the international houseguests face?

Erin: These are all great personalities and they bring a really exciting international flavour to Big Brother Canada. But I do think these international houseguests are going to be up against a big wall. They are coming in a week later, when people may have made alliances already. They are going to have to be really smart and adapt to a game that they have never played before. They are going to have to figure out how to endear themselves to the other players. They are going to have to adjust.

For us, the Canadian houseguests are going in Day One and the international houseguests are a twist. Expect the unexpected. It is shaking things up and it is a risk. It is absolutely is a risk. It is something very different.

John: Were there some international houseguests that you wanted to cast but for whatever reason weren’t available?

Erin: There were some that couldn’t make it or couldn’t do the show, but we are really happy with everyone we have. Part of the process was speaking to the other Producers and seeing who they recommended. For example, everyone might not know Veronica but she is incredible and I have completely fallen in love with her.

John: Can you speak to one of Big Brother Canada’s greatest strengths which is casting really strong female players and personalities?

Erin: We do take pride in that but we also really take pride in all of the Canadian personalities. We want strong men on the show too!

An example though, is Jillian from Season One. It was really important for us to have physically strong women who could compete and Jillian was exactly that. When we go across Canada and audition people every year, I cannot begin to tell you how many people are inspired by Jillian because she was such a competition beast.

The same goes for our host, Arisa. She is a mother and a strong woman and Arisa represents all of that.

What is most important to us is that we have a good mix of personalities and people. The essence of Big Brother is to pick people from all different walks of life, put them in a house together, cut them off from the outside world, and see how they react. That is what has made the series so entertaining.

John: Do you think the international houseguests feeling a pressure to represent their home country?

Erin: Yes, they want to represent their country. Yes, they want to do them proud but I also think there is this sense of excitement for them to come and play in a different country. They have a fascination with Canada and Canadians and they want to experience a different game. All of them have done everything they can in their territory but they are not done with Big Brother. It is an exciting opportunity to come and play the game a different way with different people in a different culture.

John: How emotionally invested are you in the houseguests themselves?

Erin: I am completely emotionally invested in them. They are in control of their game and their destiny but I sit here and I love them all for different reasons. They feel like my little babies (laughs) all of them! They are all wonderful human beings in different ways. There is just something about them that captured our imaginations and I believe in every single one of them.

John: As far as the series goes, what do the hard-core fans and the newbies bring to the show?

Erin: They bring completely different things. Super fans can overplay and they can sometimes be boring because they choose to play the middle. A newbie comes in, has no idea what to expect and comes as 100 percent themselves, whereas super fans don’t show all of their cards. I think both approaches can be successful. I think you need a mix of both on Big Brother.

John: What can fans look forward too with the current cast?

Erin: It is hilarious because I have no idea (laughs)! Every year the cast surprises me. This year we have a strong mix of super fans and people like Ramsey who has never seen the show before. That is going to be fascinating viewing for everyone!

http://bigbrothercanada.globaltv.com...g-latest-twist
Quote:
Big Brother is such an international community and it is so inspirational. My thought this year was…how can we celebrate that? So this year instead of shying away from that international influence, we wanted to celebrate it.
This quote stood out to me the most - one of the things that I love about Big Brother Canada is the fan engagement. Compared to our version that seems to shun the fans at any given opportunity, BBCAN is actually going one step further and including the international fans, which is just a fantastic thing to be doing. Hopefully BBUK will be taking notes on this and will improve - it's desperately needed if our version of the format is to be saved.

(That being said, we still have to use a VPN to watch anything on the BBCAN site...)

Spoiler:

Last edited by zakman440; 25-02-2016 at 12:39 AM.
zakman440 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 01:13 AM #2
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

I love Erin, she always comes across really well in the interviews I've read/watched of hers

Honestly this is such a brilliantly innovative twist and is something no other version of Big Brother would dare to do. They are deliberately catering to superfans (especially international ones) and I think that's amazing. BBUS and BBUK could learn a hell of a lot from them that's for sure
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 01:19 AM #3
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Quote:
My thought process is always - what can we do that has never been done before?
Love this

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 01:40 AM #4
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
Love this
Makes you wonder really just what the team at BBUK think at the brainstorming sessions each year

Quote:
Dave: So, another year, another series! Time to start thinking of ideas guys, what are your thoughts?!

Barry: Okay so I was thinking, you know nominations?

Bill: ...no? Nominations? Eh?

Barry: Each housemate nominates two people for eviction?

Bill: Oh yeah, of course! How could I forget, carry on

Barry: Well I thought it'd be amazing if we made them do them...FACE TO FACE!

Dave: Shit son what an amazing idea!

Barry: That's not all though, how about they do them ON LAUNCH NIGHT WHEN EVERYONE'S IN?!

Katie: Oh my God Barry you are a bloody genius do you know that!

Jeff: ****ing hell Bazza they're not gonna know what's hit them!

Sophie: GUYS THEY SHOULD DO FACE TO FACE NOMINATIONS, AND THE PERSON WITH THE MOST SHOULD BE INSTANTLY EVICTED!!!!

Dave: SOPHIE!!!! You've nailed it, like I'm gonna nail you later!!

Barry: Amazing! The power of sharing ideas eh?

Marcus: What's my role this series?

Dave: We really want to hear your voice Marcus, make yourself heard to the audience, put your stamp on the show! Do a bit of screaming if you have to mate, whatever you think's best

Marcus: And do I still get to read the voting T&C's? That's my fave, though I'd quite like to talk to the house and announce who is evicted too, I think I could do a good job of that...

Dave: Of course, whatever you want, you are the best voiceover in the business!

Marcus: Oh stop it Dave! But no you're right I really am

Katie: We don't have to stop there though guys oh my God, what about if we FAKE EVICT that person, and put them in a secret room...called, I don't know...what about The Attic? And let them watch all the others bitch about them!

Dave: YES! YES! YES! I'm gonna cum, you guys are amazing! Meeting over, this series is going to be ****in brilliant fam!!!!!!
Old 25-02-2016, 01:51 AM #5
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
I love Erin, she always comes across really well in the interviews I've read/watched of hers

Honestly this is such a brilliantly innovative twist and is something no other version of Big Brother would dare to do. They are deliberately catering to superfans (especially international ones) and I think that's amazing. BBUS and BBUK could learn a hell of a lot from them that's for sure

BBCAN's innovative nature is something I really love. The only thing I can criticize BBCAN on is adding tooooo many twists to one season. It kinda ruins the game at times. But that's just their thing so it's something I can accept when it's consistent to expect it. A lot of times it still adds to the entertainment so I don't even dislike that too much.
Old 25-02-2016, 05:52 AM #6

I love BB Canada, but I really wish, just for one season, they would NOT allow nominations talk. Last season was ruined for me by the housemates constantly talking about alliances and making alliances, which left me confused and ultimately fed up of the whole thing.

Last edited by jennyjuniper; 25-02-2016 at 05:53 AM. Reason: forgot a word.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:09 AM #7
El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory
BBCanada 9: Rohan

El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
I love BB Canada, but I really wish, just for one season, they would NOT allow nominations talk. Last season was ruined for me by the housemates constantly talking about alliances and making alliances, which left me confused and ultimately fed up of the whole thing.
That is the Canadian and USA format, its different from the uk one. They are allowed to talk about nominations and they have to make alliances to survive the season and get to the end and win. One of the reasons I prefer the Usa format to the uk version. Alliances change all the time, its part of the game.

DrunkerThanMoses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:44 AM #8
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
That's what the format is though it'd be very difficult to try to play a strategic game if you couldn't talk about noms and voting
Old 25-02-2016, 11:43 AM #9
hot tamale

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
hot tamale

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele

Quote:
John: As far as the series goes, what do the hard-core fans and the newbies bring to the show?

Erin: They bring completely different things. Super fans can overplay and they can sometimes be boring because they choose to play the middle. A newbie comes in, has no idea what to expect and comes as 100 percent themselves, whereas super fans don’t show all of their cards. I think both approaches can be successful. I think you need a mix of both on Big Brother.

Spoiler:

Dominic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 03:42 PM #10
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Makes you wonder really just what the team at BBUK think at the brainstorming sessions each year
Lmao, you didn't lie

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 07:04 AM #11
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):

The article reads lovely... They sound like such perfect Producers on paper... But, I am starting to feel like casting is equally similar to pre-fab housing... I mean, without sounding rude or derogatory to anyone, the literally have a houseguest check off list like this:

One flamboyant gay guy...check
One low key gay guy... Check
A Milf... Check
Teeny, cute bubble blond... Check
One black female... Check

You get the idea... Not really too Canadian specific, unless you count the fact there is always an oil worker from Fort Mac.. And a heavily accented eastcoaster or two to emphasize that Canadian dialect we Americans assume they all have...

Idk... I guess now on season 4 I don't feel like the cast is anything special, or maybe I feel like they are more of the same. This is why I am only really looking forward to the international twist at this point for interesting houseguests.
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 05:05 PM #12
Matt1993

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Andrew
CBB 11: Lacey Banghard
Matt1993

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Andrew
CBB 11: Lacey Banghard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokka View Post
The article reads lovely... They sound like such perfect Producers on paper... But, I am starting to feel like casting is equally similar to pre-fab housing... I mean, without sounding rude or derogatory to anyone, the literally have a houseguest check off list like this:

One flamboyant gay guy...check
One low key gay guy... Check
A Milf... Check
Teeny, cute bubble blond... Check
One black female... Check

You get the idea... Not really too Canadian specific, unless you count the fact there is always an oil worker from Fort Mac.. And a heavily accented eastcoaster or two to emphasize that Canadian dialect we Americans assume they all have...

Idk... I guess now on season 4 I don't feel like the cast is anything special, or maybe I feel like they are more of the same. This is why I am only really looking forward to the international twist at this point for interesting houseguests.

All big brothers are similar now same with bbuk too
Mrmattybeck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 05:07 PM #13
Mokka

Favourites (more):

Mokka

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmattybeck View Post
All big brothers are similar now same with bbuk too
I know.. I had just hoped Canada wouldn't go down the same path... 4th season in and it's already so. American casting Canadians...and looking for Canadian stereotypes to project is the problem as I see it
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 05:10 PM #14
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Quote:
Sophie: GUYS THEY SHOULD DO FACE TO FACE NOMINATIONS, AND THE PERSON WITH THE MOST SHOULD BE INSTANTLY EVICTED!!!!

Dave: SOPHIE!!!! You've nailed it, like I'm gonna nail you later!!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, brock, canada, casting, erin, exec, producer, talks, twist, wildcard