Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-04-2016, 08:00 AM #151
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

The referendum is not binding. However, the government would be on a suicide mission if it chose to ignore the will of the people.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 09:46 AM #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4eva View Post
Thanks. I have a question: is this referendum binding? I mean, is it possible that the UK public would vote to leave and the government would just ignore it or just keep having referendums until you "got it right" like they did with EU Constitution?

Anyways, I earnestly hope that Britain will once again belong to the British. No one in the US still takes Obama seriously and he'll be gone in less than a year. So don't give him more attention than he deserves which is none. If the British stand up to Obama, the American people will respect you for it.
I don't know what the formal notice of withdrawal is. I know they were pushing for 28 days but whether that's been passed or amended? The reason the out campaigners wanted such a short notice period is to stop the government using a 'close vote' or 'lack of vote' for a referendum withdrawal.
Old 26-04-2016, 09:54 AM #153
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The referendum is not binding. However, the government would be on a suicide mission if it chose to ignore the will of the people.
It is binding, this is not a information seeking exercise,the govt have clearly stated the people will decide in this referendum whether the UK remains in the EU or leaves.
The govt have handed the whole responsibility of the decision to stay or leave to the voters only.

It is no longer a decision then for govt, if we vote to stay we stay and if the vote is to leave we leave.
They have put no conditions on it even as to turnout,or majority or how many UK Nations vote for or against staying.

This is a fully binding referendum on the govt,no matter how close or how wide the result either way.

Last edited by joeysteele; 26-04-2016 at 09:55 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 12:11 PM #154
User banned

User banned

you cannot just vote you have to apply to vote, that stinks too, millions wont be aware of this
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 12:21 PM #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
why do you think the american government want uk not to rock the EU boat? do you relly think they care about us? or is it more to do with the long awaited TTIP american corporate takeover over of the EU>? Ebay and amazon have taken over the 2nd hand goods and delivery, theyre the biggest arms dealers in the world, theyve bought out our movie industry, theyve taken over our supermarkets much of our service industry , facebook , twitter worldwide , fast food garbage pushing the world over the diabetic and obese cliff...heck theyve even taken over our entire black market tickets across europe and even taxis are wiped out worldwide by uber

its a worldwide american corporate takeover and were just rolling over in the traffic
umm, you're welcome.

It's just like the Scottish referendum... do you honestly think the votes matter? You are staying.

It's already decided. Get over it.

Last edited by lostalex; 26-04-2016 at 12:31 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 12:37 PM #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Obama should withdraw his trunk immediately. He's perfectly willing to encourage us to do something he would never expect the American people to do. And bringing up the WW2 war dead was despicable. Maybe next time we want something from the US - a trade agreement after we leave the EU perhaps - we can remind him of the bodies of countless thousands of British troops that litter the Far East where they died helping the USA beat Japan.
The USA has been doing it for two centuries, and we even fought the most deadly war we've ever fought to keep all the states in our Union. The US individual states are just like individual EU countries. You make no sense saying the US would never accept those terms, because actually we do and have done for hundreds of years. and it has made us the most prosperous country in the world. the USA understands the benefits of keeping states in a union. We are the best evidence that the model works.

Last edited by lostalex; 26-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 01:11 PM #157
User banned

User banned

yes but usa didnt wait 3000 years to merge 30+ countries with 1000s of years of profoundly different languages, laws, currencies, resources, histories, cultures etc etc etc
the usa did it from the grass roots up with a tiny 6000 word constitution which worked....try our 70,000 one packed with more laws than any politician has ever managed to read let alone understand or implement
Old 26-04-2016, 08:50 PM #158
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
The USA has been doing it for two centuries, and we even fought the most deadly war we've ever fought to keep all the states in our Union. The US individual states are just like individual EU countries. You make no sense saying the US would never accept those terms, because actually we do and have done for hundreds of years. and it has made us the most prosperous country in the world. the USA understands the benefits of keeping states in a union. We are the best evidence that the model works.
Indeed, you are right,excellent points.

I only wish I could have the confidence you have the the UK will vote to stay Alex, I really think it will be a narrow vote to leave myself.
From all I am hearing and picking up.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 09:06 PM #159
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Indeed, you are right,excellent points.

I only wish I could have the confidence you have the the UK will vote to stay Alex, I really think it will be a narrow vote to leave myself.
From all I am hearing and picking up.

Heres another report today about how horrific ttip would be for the UK

just a few titbits , this is the deal that the EU and USA are close to completing
the usa will takeover just when the eu is at its weakest on its knees over run with debts, bankruptcies, overpopulation and terrorism

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a6999646.html

This is what youre supporting?

Opponents say the deal could give corporations the power to sue governments when they pass regulation that could hit firms' profits through an international court called the Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS).

READ MORE
TTIP: Obama says trade deal should be signed by the 'end of the year'
United Nations figures show US companies have made billions of dollars by suing other governments nearly 130 times in the past 15 years under similar free-trade agreements.

Details of the cases are often secret, but notorious precedents include tobacco giant Philip Morris suing Australia and Uruguay for putting health warnings on cigarette packets
Old 28-04-2016, 09:23 AM #160
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
Your individual states are just that, states; states belonging to the same country. They are not separate countries each with hundreds, thousands of years of culture and history and a range of languages. It's not the same as this situation at all. If political decisions were made for the USA by Canada or by Mexico, and you all had to abide by them, you'd be opposed to that no doubt. But you think it's okay for the UK. The point is that it is not the business of Obama or anyone else who is not a British citizen.

Hi Alex.

Last edited by Livia; 28-04-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
coming, europe, president, stay, stink, uk, usa