Notices

Reality TV Reality TV Show Discussion. Including Survivor, America's Next Top Model, RuPaul's Drag Race and The Only Way is Essex.

Old 17-08-2016, 04:47 PM #26
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Jake

The only thing that's wrong about this tweet, as one of the responses to it pointed out, is his use of the word 'make'. Parents shouldn't 'make' their children do anything (within reason), more encourage them.

To be fair though only a vapid moron would idolise a reality star, as I always say that isn't the reason these shows exist so they shouldn't be viewed in such a way
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:17 PM #27
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
To have that opinion is fair enough, but I think in the context of this argument I would rather have a young person idolise an Olympian as oppose to someone from a Reality TV show. As I said, the hard-work that goes into these sports is admirable, whereas these Z-list celebrities are just keen to get their face on television.

The actions of these Z-listers are also what causes such outrage when younger children begin to idolise them. So many people think it's endearing to be a complete idiot because of people like Joey Essex. People think it's funny to watch Charlotte Crosby wet the bed, when in reality, if that were to happen to anyone in real-life there would shame attached to the action. I understand there's good and bad in Olympians and Reality TV stars alike, but if I were a parent I would want my child to achieve their success based on having talent.

Parents would be proud of watching their son/daughter even compete in the Olympic Games. The only reason the parents of certain reality stars are proud is because of the reaction from the audience who watch, but if the reaction was completely different I don't think the pride from these parents would still be apparent. Reality stars are just very lucky people.
Yeah the Z lists actions may not be ideal and I would be a tad concerned if I came across a person who was inspired to wet the bed because charlotte did it. But having a child that is loved by many because of their personality alone is also something I would be really proud of. Olympic athletes are not squeaky clean themselves e.g. preforming enhancing drugs and the whiled parties that were in the press during London 2012. Also the olympics have this underlying theme of devoting your entire life to that sport and pushing your body to its limit in order to become the best and yeah that may or may not be the case but its what is heavily promoted and is packaged to kids as hard work and dedication.

The only reason parents would be proud is because the're highly praised in our society and parents are told to be proud of their olympic children. It doesn't mean it has any more importance that a reality tv show imo. Like most parents would probably be more proud of a child who grows to be a gold winning athlete than they would be for a child who's given up their life to become an activist for a cause they believe in...

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:23 PM #28
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

And who exactly is Jake Humphreys talking to? Like where are the parents coating their homes with pictures of Charlotte Crosby passed out in Magaluf and telling their kids to be like her.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:56 PM #29
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
Yeah the Z lists actions may not be ideal and I would be a tad concerned if I came across a person who was inspired to wet the bed because charlotte did it. But having a child that is loved by many because of their personality alone is also something I would be really proud of. Olympic athletes are not squeaky clean themselves e.g. preforming enhancing drugs and the whiled parties that were in the press during London 2012. Also the olympics have this underlying theme of devoting your entire life to that sport and pushing your body to its limit in order to become the best and yeah that may or may not be the case but its what is heavily promoted and is packaged to kids as hard work and dedication.

The only reason parents would be proud is because the're highly praised in our society and parents are told to be proud of their olympic children. It doesn't mean it has any more importance that a reality tv show imo. Like most parents would probably be more proud of a child who grows to be a gold winning athlete than they would be for a child who's given up their life to become an activist for a cause they believe in...
I think it's a matter of being loved for the wrong reasons though, but I guess that's personal opinion against personal opinion. To me, there is a lot more dignity to the Olympic Games than The Only Way Is Essex or Geordie Shore. Like I said, there is good and bad in Olympians and Reality stars alike, there's such in all kinds of people in world. People who take supplemants to enhance their performance are normally looked-down upon and represented negatively in the media. To an extent, there's nothing wrong with being a party-animal. I don't see Olympians going to parties as a negative thing at all, but I'd be worried to think that my child would look up to someone who's life revolves around getting drunk and having sex (Geordie Shore), or having their life constantly followed and aired to make television (The Only Way Is Essex and Made In Chelsea).

It's not even like I'd be upset if my child ended up as a reality star, and it is their choice to follow their desire how they see fit. It's just that Olympians represent so much hard-work, and there seems to be a change in society where negativity is now being rewarded, and people like Joey Essex and Charlotte Crosby are being put on pedestal despite being succesful on the merit of being on a TV show. There's no hardship or dignity to that. Imagine if someone trained for the Olympic Games and then faced deselection, then imagine if someone signed up for Geordie Shore but didn't manage to make it on the show. I know which person i'd feel more sorry for. That point may be irrelevant to initial discussion, but it to me it certainly makes me realise who should be put on a pedestal.

I have firedns my age that say their idols are Joey Essex, it's just slightly concerning in my opinion. I don't think Jake even thinks parents are pushing kids to look up to reality stars as idols, but he just wants to enforce the fact that parents need to remind kids that Olympians do more hard-work than any of those people would. You can be successful in any realms possible and it's still success, I get that. But it's striving your children to look at the qualities of these people who represent their country and a world-wide activity, and represent the country for the good.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:58 PM #30
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

...Sorry for the spelling mistakes
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 06:03 PM #31
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
But are they talents? Like is running 100m which 95% of the world can do really deserve all the praise in the world just because it is quicker than some people.
Welp what on earth
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 01:04 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
He tweeted

Make your kids look up to the likes of Jason Kenny , Laura trott , not the likes of Geordie shore , TOWIE.

Thoughts
I hate these comparisons. They are completely different things.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
blasts, geordie, humphreys, jake, shore, towie