Notices

BB16 Big Brother 16 aka Big Brother: Timebomb started 12th May 2015, and was won by Chloe Wilburn. Discuss the housemates and show in this forum.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 PM #501
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I don't think it's overt racism btw, but I definitely think race has played a part in the popularity/unpopularity of the vast majority of housemates from ethnically diverse backgrounds.

The sad fact is that some of the public are racist, that can't be disputed, and yes some housemates can overcome that (Brian Belo/Shilpa etc) but that doesn't change the fact that for the most part, black/asian/indian etc housemates will always start off at a disadvantage that others don't face and will have to do more to be accepted.
I think it's pretty telling that the first and only ethnic winners we've had on this show both happened to win in 2007 - the year of racial misconduct in BBUK.

I think it's pretty telling that Danielle and Jack walked out of the house in CBB5 to cheers whilst Shabnam, Nicky and Charley all left to deafening boos just a few months later.

I also think it's telling that Conor walked out of the house with £50k in his pocket to a winner's reception whilst Shievonne and Deana were both booed upon leaving. The former he thrashed in the eviction despite being way worse and the latter which he spent the majority of his stay bullying.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 PM #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
I think it's pretty telling that the first and only ethnic winners we've had on this show both happened to win in 2007 - the year of racial misconduct in BBUK.

I think it's pretty telling that Danielle and Jack walked out of the house in CBB5 to cheers whilst Shabnam, Nicky and Charley all left to deafening boos just a few months later.

I also think it's telling that Conor walked out of the house with £50k in his pocket to a winner's reception whilst Shievonne and Deana were both booed upon leaving. The former he thrashed in the eviction despite being way worse and the latter which he spent the majority of his stay bullying.
It actually makes me a little mad to think someone like Scotty T (just the first example that sprung to mind) just has to be a hot guy to win (literally can't remember anything he did) whereas someone like Shilpa has to be a front page newsworthy victim of racist bullying (oh and let's not forget she still got booed on final night!

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 PM #503
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macie Lightfoot View Post
yeah it's not a matter of people being explicitly racist, but this is a show that routinely rewards white people for being average and is extremely forgiving towards them, and you have to work your butt off to impress the public as a person of color.
Pretty much this

I also think typecasting plays a major part too e.g. the "Angry Black Woman", "Abrasive Asian Woman" etc.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:16 PM #504
Banned

Banned

I think there's a definite element of it in the voting.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 PM #505
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Pretty much this

I also think typecasting plays a major part too e.g. the "Angry Black Woman", "Abrasive Asian Woman" etc.
I agree with this. BBUK relies too much on stereotypes when casting housemates and we always end up getting the same personality. It's like they're cast to play a certain role and it's really annoying.

Out of the many black women we've had on BBUK there's only really been a few which didn't fit into that 'angry black woman' stereotype - Melanie, Alison, Makosi, Vanessa, Rachael (but even then they were either evicted early or vilified by the public by the time they left the house )

Last edited by Jason.; 09-08-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 PM #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
It actually makes me a little mad to think someone like Scotty T (just the first example that sprung to mind) just has to be a hot guy to win (literally can't remember anything he did) whereas someone like Shilpa has to be a front page newsworthy victim of racist bullying (oh and let's not forget she still got booed on final night!
I agree Jamie. It stinks.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:42 PM #507

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Isabelle

Racism and especially Sexism are the #1 ruiners of every BB series.

The vile chavvy female audience also need to have their access to their phones, televisions and the live audience set permanently cut off as well.

Last edited by Lush; 06-10-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Lush is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 PM #508

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
Racism and especially Sexism are the #1 ruiners of every BB series.

The vile chavvy female audience also need to have their access to their phones, televisions and the live audience set permanently cut off as well.
I actually think that the audience are becoming more interested in females doing well.

Lets look at the likes of CBB17 in January. Tiffany.. she showed traits of herself that in theory would make you hated in the show, she was argumentative at times, she was not white (lets be honest, this is true whether people want to admit it or not) and she spoke about sex and was very forward... and she was loved by women. Same with Megan, she's the typical "first week boot" when the show was on C5, She threw tantrums, she was known for having sex as her claim to fame and she swore like no one else.... she may have been evicted (VTS) but had a great reception.

Then BB17... Marco the first male evicted ever for civilian against females. The fact that "good looking" Alex was evicted in a VTW vote with less votes with good looking FEMALE Evelyn.

Females seem to be doing better on C5 at the moment.

Last edited by *mazedsalv**; 07-10-2016 at 03:53 PM.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:01 PM #509
-

-

BB17 still had the lowest-placing last female standing.

Not to mention 2016 is the first C5 year where all the winners have been men, every other year bar 2011 has had at least one female winner.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:05 PM #510
-

-

Also r.e the Megan point, she was still evicted at the first opportunity.

I think a better example would be Stephanie Davis who came runner-up and outlasted Jeremy but even then she was still more vilified than Jeremy ever was during the show and had it not been for the fact she's a bigger name than he was or it being a VTS, she would've been out way before him.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM #511
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Steph did well cos Oaks fans are BB viewers

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:05 PM #512

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
BB17 still had the lowest-placing last female standing.

Not to mention 2016 is the first C5 year where all the winners have been men, every other year bar 2011 has had at least one female winner.
It did, but the males generally in BB17 were quite strong bar Sam and Alex.

Jackson, Jason, Andy, Hughie, Ryan, Marco all provided something, and in general the Top 6 was one of the strongest ever finals IMO, all 6 characters were stronger than previous finals. With males of a type of BB12-BB16 caliber, they wouldn't have placed above Jayne and Evelyn.
Those 2 would have both come Top 4 in BB15 and BB16 for certain. I reckon it would have been an all female Top 4 in BB15 if that were the case with Helen, Asheeigh, Jayne and Evelyn... it's laughable how BB15 the likes of Ash and Pav made the final, that's how terrble the male lineup was there.... same with BB16.

Maybe I meant more my crowd reaction with certain people, Jayne, Evelyn, Tiffany, Megan, Renee, Casey would have been booed on C4.

Watch C4 evictions again and watch 99% of women being booed, whereas on C5 it's more like 70%. The CBB13 final was one of the most positive ever with 5 of the 6 getting cheers (which included 2 females) and one getting mixed (Luisa). Whereas on C4 from BB4 onwards most females were getting booed in their series.

I don't think the sexism is as strong. An example of strong sexism from viewers was stuff like Rachael being evicted in Week 1 of BB11 where John James was beimg worshiped when he was a monster over Rachael who was harmless. I don't think that would happen again and go completely go in the males favour anymore if someone similar. The fact that an unknown model Casey came out looking better than a famous boyband singer Lee in both crowd reaction and the Vote To Win was certainly a big thing.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bbuk, khan, pray, racism, saira, victim