Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:42 PM #26

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...'the safe space' I presume you mean, the protection of human rights NM...and yes, it's very important so as not to go back to a time when there was no existence of rights or humanity for some minorities.../to when they were considered and treated as 'lesser than'.../lesser than humans....so social justice will always be there for a very good reason and so there will always be 'warriors' for its cause...but people are allowed to challenge, of course they are..they're allowed to challenge, they're allowed to reason, they're allowed a perspective to be listened to and they're allowed understanding as much as all views are etc....but what shouldn't be allowed or tolerated I should say...is their unreasonable/their extreme/their prejudices/their intolerances if and when those are applicable to them and if and when they infringe on human rights of others...
I don't think that you're quite grasping how batshat crazy these militant SJW's are(i don't blame you btw as it's beyond rational beleif) but the book burnings should give you a clue.
They're nuts and no in the their 'safe space' only their opinions are permitted and their 'safe space' is anywhere on campus that they're protesting or making speaches and they'll physically force you away.
Another thing when one of them is speaking about all the things that have 'triggered' them recently in the 'safe space' and they want to show appreciation they don't allow clapping as it could upset or 'trigger' them so they all snap their fingers instead.
I honestly don't blame students like the one in the op being turned to Trump when they have to live with this crap every day and the ridiculousness they see from Hilary supporters.
SJW's are the perfect ad for Trump.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:52 PM #27
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I don't think that you're quite grasping how batshat crazy these militant SJW's are(i don't blame you btw as it's beyond rational beleif) but the book burnings should give you a clue.
They're nuts and no in the their 'safe space' only their opinions are permitted and their 'safe space' is anywhere on campus that they're protesting or making speaches and they'll physically force you away.
Another thing when one of them is speaking about all the things that have 'triggered' them recently in the 'safe space' and they want to show appreciation they don't allow clapping as it could upset or 'trigger' them so they all snap their fingers instead.
I honestly don't blame students like the one in the op being turned to Trump when they have to live with this crap every day and the ridiculousness they see from Hilary supporters.
What's an SJW? ... ( Why don't I know anything?)
Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM #28
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
What's an SJW? ... ( Why don't I know anything?)
Social Justice Warrior.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 PM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I'm not sure either NM what the Social Justice Warriors are exactly..but they're 'crazy' college students../..a section of them...doesn't Donald Trump believe that armed weapons should be allowed in schools/colleges/campuses etc...a vote for someone who supports armed weapons in the hands of 'bat**** crazy' doesn't sound like a good move to me.../and not something to vote for...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:00 PM #30
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

....oooops, unfortunate use of 'trigger' as well../it really doesn't sound like a wise move../a Trump vote...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM #31
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Social Justice Warrior.
Ah right.... Wish I hadn't asked
Old 02-11-2016, 05:12 PM #32

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

In a nutshell

(I hope i've posted this link right this time)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:13 PM #33
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Still just strengthening the point that you'd only be voting for him to piss them off, rather than any real belief in him as a politician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:15 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...I'm not sure either NM what the Social Justice Warriors are exactly..but they're 'crazy' college students../..a section of them...doesn't Donald Trump believe that armed weapons should be allowed in schools/colleges/campuses etc...a vote for someone who supports armed weapons in the hands of 'bat**** crazy' doesn't sound like a good move to me.../and not something to vote for...
Neither of them sound like a good move to me and Hilary worries me just as much if not more.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 02-11-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:21 PM #35
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
In a nutshell

(I hope i've posted this link right this time)
Are social justice warriors the same a the PC brigade, or is that a a whole new you tube vid?

In all fairness the vid just highlights the confusion young adults feel as they battle between the conflicting views of their parents/carers/educators/media trying to formulate their own as they go.

The guy in the OP is no different to them is he?

Last edited by Kizzy; 02-11-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 PM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Are social justice warriors the same a the PC brigade, or is that a a whole new you tube vid?

In all fairness the vid just highlights the confusion young adults feel as they battle between the conflicting views of their parents/carers/educators/media trying to formulate their own as they go.

The guy in the OP is no different to them is he?
The guy in the op seems to me like he's sick of being surrounded by all this madness and these people have pushed him into making an emotional decision based on rebelling back against this movement and the lunacy he sees day in day out instead of looking at all the facts and making an informed decision.The term 'regressive left' that he mentions is quite true really.They are not doing their cause any favours by angering people.These people aren't exactly quiet about their cause.They throw it in people's faces as much as they can.Shouting slurs of 'racist' and saying nobody with so called 'privilege' is allowed to speak.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:09 PM #37
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I think these situations at best hint to undercurrents of dogma that does need to be addressed, but that doesn't mean that liberal positions themselves are inherently bad or just leftist propaganda. I think both sides offer discourse that is very helpful to the development of our democracy. Being left-leaning doesn't always immediately lead to communistic/"dangerously progressive" movements... as cited by the article/blog writer. There are plenty of stable-minded, well reasoned and educated liberals who have good sound reasons for their platforms.

These situations are hyper-personalized. I've run into nuts from both aisles. Having lived in Texas and in the Northeast section of country near DC/Baltimore (MD). Once spent $400 for a liberal art's history class that turned somehow into a green peace sustainability class... and she gave us rubber medical gloves to go all over campus to remove weeds/invasive plants (yay cuts )

But then I get annoyed when I hear the NRA fanatics draw overarching generalizations about the oppositions. In a lot of cases, they are completely disregarding all liberals, including my friends, who happen to be liberal only because of life experiences... which often is the main reasoning behind why one person chooses another "order" over the other.

The division is unnecessary. But powerful discourse does need to happen... which means sides need to disagree and for those arguments to run their course... the problem is the 20-30% of this country (or whatever percentage) that is anti-discourse, that is they flatly reject what doesn't fit the world they'd like and will be disrupters if needed... to me, it borders on anti-democracy and I hope that we do not head this direction.

Last edited by Maru; 02-11-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
I think these situations at best hint to undercurrents of dogma that does need to be addressed, but that doesn't mean that liberal positions themselves are inherently bad or just leftist propaganda. I think both sides offer discourse that is very helpful to the development of our democracy. Being left-leaning doesn't always immediately lead to communistic/"dangerously progressive" movements... as cited by the article/blog writer. There are plenty of stable-minded, well reasoned and educated liberals who have good sound reasons for their platforms.

These situations are hyper-personalized. I've run into nuts from both aisles. Having lived in Texas and in the Northeast section of country near DC/Baltimore (MD). Once spent $400 for a liberal art's history class that turned somehow into a green peace sustainability class... and she gave us rubber medical gloves to go all over campus to remove weeds/invasive plants (yay cuts )

But then I get annoyed when I hear the NRA fanatics draw overarching generalizations about the oppositions. In a lot of cases, they are completely disregarding all liberals, including my friends, who happen to be liberal only because of life experiences... which often is the main reasoning behind why one person chooses another "order" over the other.

The division is unnecessary. But powerful discourse does need to happen... which means sides need to disagree and for those arguments to run their course... the problem is the 20-30% of this country (or whatever percentage) that is anti-discourse, that is they doesn't fit the world they'd like... to me, it borders on anti-democracy and I hope that we do not head this direction.
You really ARE so intelligent, informed and eloquent Maru - as well as being a fast typist.

I totally agree with the text which I have emboldened.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 PM #39
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
You really ARE so intelligent, informed and eloquent Maru - as well as being a fast typist.

I totally agree with the text which I have emboldened.
Sometimes that can be a very self-destructive quality. Like when someone is in the middle of replying to my IMs...

The second bold: And I figured you might.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 PM #40

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

The division is unnecessary. But powerful discourse does need to happen... which means sides need to disagree and for those arguments to run their course... the problem is the 20-30% of this country (or whatever percentage) that is anti-discourse, that is they flatly reject what doesn't fit the world they'd like and will be disrupters if needed... to me, it borders on anti-democracy and I hope that we do not head this direction.
Yes i totally agree that the average person on either side are not bad and are rational in their views.
There are extremist nuts on both sides of the political spectrum.The thing is that for years atleast over here we've heard about the right wing extremists no end.We know about everything there is to know about their racism and xenophobia but have heard virtually nothing of leftist extremism.That is starting to come out now and show its ugly side including the anti-semitism and civil unrest and racism and sexism against the white male.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM #41

Quote:
Article?...I wrote it!
It is an excellent and very articulate post. But....Then NOW you have NO excuses for being lazy with other posts.

Snared.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM #42

Quote:
Sometimes that can be a very self-destructive quality. Like when someone is in the middle of replying to my IMs...

The second bold: And I figured you might.
You know me so well. (I feel an Elaine and Barbara 'Chess' song coming on. )

Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM #43

Quote:
Yes i totally agree that the average person on either side are not bad and are rational in their views.
There are extremist nuts on both sides of the political spectrum.The thing is that for years atleast over here we've heard about the right wing extremists no end.We know about everything there is to know about their racism and xenophobia but have heard virtually nothing of leftist extremism.That is starting to come out now and show its ugly side including the anti-semitism and civil unrest and racism and sexism against the white male.
So very TRUE.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM #44
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
The guy in the op seems to me like he's sick of being surrounded by all this madness and these people have pushed him into making an emotional decision based on rebelling back against this movement and the lunacy he sees day in day out instead of looking at all the facts and making an informed decision.The term 'regressive left' that he mentions is quite true really.They are not doing their cause any favours by angering people.These people aren't exactly quiet about their cause.They throw it in people's faces as much as they can.Shouting slurs of 'racist' and saying nobody with so called 'privilege' is allowed to speak.
I'm sorry but this is just you projecting your perceived rebellion, and excusing his disjointed commentary due to his use of terms such as 'regressive left'.
They don't actually mean anything or relate to anything specific.
Everyone is allowed to speak..he is speaking, he doesn't look like the kind of person that has never not spoken... As he states in his monologue.

However if by speaking your truths you find that they are counter to what others think, shouting that it is a flaw in their logic is a bit of a cop out... whether you use a derogatory term such as PC brigade, SJW or whatever.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:46 PM #45
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes and I think that's true given the media bias (I feel). Although the average person discusses these things very freely in person in the US. At least in Texas and in much of the south. Though I know some strong conservatives in MD (northeast part of the country). Though the younger ones are starting to lean much more Libertarian. We don't roll heads for their diverse and opinionated personalities in TX like some other places... In MD, I had to tip toe around anything that could lead to even potentially uncomfortable conversation. Don't even mention the fact you're female at my job to upper mgmt... can be seen as being volatile to upper mgmt. So, very little political discussion was ever had between myself and the general public... very tip toe-y... Of course MD has the NSA/DC and all (of which my husband's family knows well), so yeah... very hush hush actions by the govt and it's employees who largely inhabit the suburbs... I think that affects things immensely.

I felt very isolated from an intellectual stimulation POV (I held my own opinions just like anyone else), which is one reason to have moved back (including my husband's desire to get away from it). It is frustrating to be on the censored side, though personally I have no problem expressing myself when needed... I've always had the ability to find movements and people who believe in these things that I do such as freedom of expression and upholding certain tested values in our society... and the right wing establishment has had it's chances at recursive narratives as well over the decades.

The real culprit are these two political parties (primarily at the national level). They need to be dumped like dead weight and left to fend for votes and donations like peasants for what they have done to this country. Both use the public in very divisive manners (and conversely the media by association of "covering" this). With them gone, I think some narratives will change and we won't have these two caterers of establishment (read: injustices) sitting up there fanning the political tension pretending to be on the people's side... the media will follow the viewers...

I don't know why we put so much stock into these parties. For they strongly resemble mindsets and politics of yesteryear imo. They are not tapped into the pulse of how demographics and people's opinions have shifted so much today. We need to move on from that bollocks. But that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Maru; 02-11-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:02 PM #46

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes and I think that's true given the media bias (I feel). Although the average person discusses these things very freely in person in the US. At least in Texas and in much of the south. Though I know some strong conservatives in MD (northeast part of the country). Though the younger ones are starting to lean much more Libertarian. We don't roll heads for their diverse and opinionated personalities in TX like some other places... In MD, I had to tip toe around anything that could lead to even potentially uncomfortable conversation. Don't even mention the fact you're female at my job to upper mgmt... can be seen as being volatile to upper mgmt. So, very little political discussion was ever had between myself and the general public... very tip toe-y... Of course MD has the NSA/DC and all (of which my husband's family knows well), so yeah... very hush hush actions by the govt and it's employees who largely inhabit the suburbs... I think that affects things immensely.

I felt very isolated from an intellectual stimulation POV (I held my own opinions just like anyone else), which is one reason to have moved back (including my husband's desire to get away from it). It is frustrating to be on the censored side, though personally I have no problem expressing myself when needed... I've always had the ability to find movements and people who believe in these things that I do such as freedom of expression and upholding certain tested values in our society... and the right wing establishment has had it's chances at recursive narratives as well over the decades.

The real culprit are these two political parties (primarily at the national level). They need to be dumped like dead weight and left to fend for votes and donations like peasants for what they have done to this country. Both use the public in very divisive manners (and conversely the media by association of "covering" this). With them gone, I think some narratives will change and we won't have these two caterers of establishment (read: injustices) sitting up there fanning the political tension pretending to be on the people's side... the media will follow the viewers...

I don't know why we put so much stock into these parties. For they strongly resemble mindsets and politics of yesteryear imo. They are not tapped into the pulse of how demographics and people's opinions have shifted so much today. We need to move on from that bollocks. But that's just my personal opinion.
Very interesting to hear a perspective from over there.It sounds as if your views are not a million miles away from me.I also don't think the parties over here are in touch with the average joes concerns.It's either left or right with nothing in between when i think most people are in the grey area of no mans land in the middle.I have never voted Conservative but can't vote Labour at the moment either.I like many of Corbyns policies but also could never vote for many of them either.He would have us in debt,overun and defenseless whilst probably funding Hamas instead of Saudi Arabia.If our election was happening now I couldn't vote and don't think i will in 2020.Same if i was an American now.I couldn't endorse either candidate with my vote.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 PM #47
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
It is an excellent and very articulate post. But....Then NOW you have NO excuses for being lazy with other posts.

Snared.
It wasn't difficult debunking this tripe Kirk just remember, if you can't see the wood for the trees......get your chopper out.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
clearest, explanation, read, trump, voted