Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 14-06-2017, 03:00 PM #251

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Tory-DUP deal announcement put on hold due to London blaze.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...o-london-blaze

Sources suggest it would be inappropriate to make formal announcement because of unfolding tragedy at Grenfell Tower

A deal between the government and the Democratic Unionist party will be delayed because of the calamitous fire that has engulfed a tower block in west London.

Westminster sources have suggested it would be inappropriate to make a formal announcement because of the unfolding tragedy at Grenfell Tower.

Theresa May needs the votes of the 10 DUP MPs to prop up her minority administration as she hopes to steer government business – including crucial measures on Brexit – through the Commons.

Reports suggested that the Queen’s speech and Brexit negotiations could be delayed as a result. However, sources close to the talks said that while the discussions were “stuttering”, 95% had been agreed between both sides, meaning the deal could still be announced in time to allow the Queens’s speech on Monday.

Both sides had hoped that a deal would be announced on Wednesday. The DUP’s leader, Arlene Foster, and MPs Nigel Dodds and Jeffrey Donaldson, have been locked in talks in Westminster for two days with senior Tories including the chief whip, Gavin Williamson.

Meanwhile, Downing Street has announced that representatives from all five of Northern Ireland’s main parties have been invited to meet the prime minister on Thursday. A source said: “The focus will be on restoring devolved government to Northern Ireland as soon as possible.”

The former prime minister Sir John Major has suggested it will be difficult for the government to act as an honest broker in talks to restore the power-sharing agreement in Belfast if it enters into a deal with the DUP to prop up a Conservative minority government in Westminster.

On Tuesday afternoon, Foster indicated that a deal was close to being finalised.

She also gave a glimpse into the issues on the table, saying Brexit, counter-terrorism, and “doing what’s right” for the Northern Ireland economy were among the key issues being thrashed out.

A senior Conservative source said: “We are making a lot of progress, it’s all being done in the spirit of cooperation, with a real focus on strengthening the union and providing stability at this time.”

A Conservative source said there was so far no deal to announce and that a decision on the timing of any announcement would have to wait until an agreement was finalised.

Ministers have indicated that the Queen’s speech may have to be set back from its scheduled date of next Monday 19 June because of the ongoing negotiations.

May is coming under intense pressure to change her approach to leaving the European Union, with predecessors David Cameron and Sir John Major among those suggesting a softer stance with a greater effort to seek a consensus.

The chancellor, Philip Hammond, is preparing to fight for the UK to remain within the EU’s customs union which could safeguard jobs and trade with EU members but would severely restrict the UK’s ability to strike its own trade deals around the world.

At a joint press conference with May in Paris on Tuesday night, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, suggested that the door was still open for the UK to remain in the EU.

“Until the negotiations come to an end, of course there is always the possibility to reopen the door,” said the French president. “But let us be clear and organised and once the negotiations have started we should be well aware that it’ll be more difficult to move backwards.”

The DUP was seeking to make the new government’s policies “more compassionate” across the UK, party sources said. They said the DUP was attempting to dilute austerity measures and defend things like the triple lock on pensions.

The DUP wanted to secure a deal that not only could benefit Northern Ireland but also people in England, Scotland and Wales, they said.

Among the Northern Ireland-specific issues raised by the DUP was a special corporation tax status for the region, possibly at a 12.5% rate.

This is similar to the Irish Republic’s tax regime, which has successfully attracted foreign direct investment to Ireland. The DUP has described the 12.5% rate as a “gamechanger” for Northern Ireland.

The last government insisted that if Northern Ireland was awarded a lower corporation tax the price would be reductions in the UK Treasury’s block grant of billions into the local economy. The sources said the DUP was asking that this Treasury condition be erased as part of the deal.

The message coming out of the DUP on Wednesday appeared to be addressing two audiences. The first was the wider UK population, with the prospect that the DUP could help soften the blows of austerity across the union.

The second appeared to address the other Northern Irish parties, but most importantly Sinn Féin, 24 hours before roundtable party talks resume in Belfast aimed at restoring a devolved government.

The DUP is arguing and will argue during the Belfast discussions that the national deal with May and the Tories will bring dividends to Northern Ireland, which a restored power-sharing executive can distribute and manage from Belfast.
Looks pretty reasonable to me.
I do however think we could look towards bringing the corporation tax down to the same level as well. Give everyone a fair crack at the whip.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:49 PM #252
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
So can the tories. I see no valid reason why she would not get the queen speech passed or not get a vote of confidence. Corbynites are crossing everything, fingers, toes ... you name it, in that vague hope and over-estimating the chances. What is it they call that now ..... oh I know WISHFUL THINKING!
Well yes. This is why I don't really get why they are associating themselves with the DUP. They could fairly easily run a minority government. They are only a few seats off a majority. So why the **** bother with aligning yourselves with far right bigots?! Its a bit mental. A hell of a lot of Tory MPs will be unhappy with the DUP thing too. I just don't understand why May has done this at all, she didn't need to. Much like she didn't need to call the election in the first place tbh

Also its really annoying that anyone who opposes Tory plans is labelled a 'Corbynite' tbh. Especially as man y voted for the party, not for him in particular.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 15-06-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 01:05 PM #253
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Well yes. This is why I don't really get why they are associating themselves with the DUP. They could fairly easily run a minority government. They are only a few seats off a majority. So why the **** bother with aligning yourselves with far right bigots?! Its a bit mental. A hell of a lot of Tory MPs will be unhappy with the DUP thing too. I just don't understand why May has done this at all, she didn't need to. Much like she didn't need to call the election in the first place tbh

Also its really annoying that anyone who opposes Tory plans is labelled a 'Corbynite' tbh. Especially as man y voted for the party, not for him in particular.
if she didn't do that, she would likely not get the queens speech passed, it would then pass to labour to have a go who have even less chance of success

Its a simple choice really, the route being taken, or go back and run the election again, with no guarantee the same thing wont happen again. Meanwhile, weeks and months go by and nothing gets done.

Its not a great situation, but it is what it is, so its best to wait at least a few months, let the electorate take a breath, and then have a new election when hopefully there will be a clearer result.

edit, just to clarify. People get sick, people die, not everyone is physically capable of attending every vote, so if there isn't a sizeable buffer (and 10 DUP's isn't) then its only a matter of time till a lost vote and a vote of no confidence

Last edited by bitontheslide; 15-06-2017 at 01:16 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 01:11 PM #254
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
if she didn't do that, she would likely not get the queens speech passed, it would then pass to labour to have a go who have even less chance of success

Its a simple choice really, the route being taken, or go back and run the election again, with no guarantee the same thing wont happen again. Meanwhile, weeks and months go by and nothing gets done.

Its not a great situation, but it is what it is, so its best to wait at least a few months, let the electorate take a breath, and then have a new election when hopefully there will be a clearer result.
As I understand it, she might not get it passed anyway? Especially if some of her own party are unhappy with the deal with the DUP. I don't know...maybe she has more chance this way.

Can't be arsed with another election. I would honestly rather have noone in power and they have to fight it out among themselves to get anything passed. Though I hear May has decided its 'the end of austerity' which if true is good...austerity clearly is not working and so many economists have said you cannot cut your way out of recessions. Hopefully she will reverse the savage cuts she made to disabled people, but somehow I doubt it :/
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 15-06-2017, 01:22 PM #255
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
As I understand it, she might not get it passed anyway? Especially if some of her own party are unhappy with the deal with the DUP. I don't know...maybe she has more chance this way.

Can't be arsed with another election. I would honestly rather have noone in power and they have to fight it out among themselves to get anything passed. Though I hear May has decided its 'the end of austerity' which if true is good...austerity clearly is not working and so many economists have said you cannot cut your way out of recessions. Hopefully she will reverse the savage cuts she made to disabled people, but somehow I doubt it :/
That's exactly why TM will have had to mellow her stance on brexit. Many tories were and still are remainers, and they now have the power to make their voices heard. A hard brexit is now dead in the water as long as her majority is small.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 07:39 PM #256
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Wow this govt is on form it's ruined the UK the EU and now peace in Northern Ireland... well done!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7792171.html
Old 15-06-2017, 09:28 PM #257
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Wow this govt is on form it's ruined the UK the EU and now peace in Northern Ireland... well done!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7792171.html
No those that drafted up the peace agreement ruined the peace agreement by not seeing future problems if either the DUP or Sinn Fein were to form an alliance with Government.

This should have been dealt with decades ago. It is now simply being used by Corbynites to play a dirty game. It is also discrimination as two parties are being treated differently from the others.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 09:30 PM #258
User banned

User banned

Quote:

Her own party won't want a labour government.
Old 15-06-2017, 09:46 PM #259
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Her own party won't want a labour government.
A labour government is ridiculously unlikely though, even if Corbyn gets the chance to attempt
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15-06-2017, 09:52 PM #260
User banned

User banned

Quote:
A labour government is ridiculously unlikely though, even if Corbyn gets the chance to attempt
I know. Others are still getting carried away with all the hype though.
Old 15-06-2017, 09:58 PM #261
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I know. Others are still getting carried away with all the hype though.
I don't think many think its likely at all. There is a very very slim chance but I would say its pretty much impossible unless another election was called soon...in which case I do think labour would win more seats

I don't get why so many seem so mad with Corbyn for saying all this though. His job as leader of the opposition is to put pressure on the government, especially when they are falling apart. If he didn't take advantage of this then he wouldn't be doing his job If things were reversed and he had called an election out of arrogance and ended up losing the small majority he had had in a vote that noone saw coming May would be doing the exact same thing as he is right now.

Also I see a lot saying that we don;t need this right now with Brexit talks looming. Well...we didn't need an election during it all either. Worst decision ever
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15-06-2017, 10:02 PM #262
-

-

Err no Vicky there should be no opposition party - opposing the government in any way is unpatriotic and tantamount to treason. You should just accept the democratic vote, realise that everyone else wants Tory, and vote Tory next time or else u hate Britain.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 02:55 AM #263
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Err no Vicky there should be no opposition party - opposing the government in any way is unpatriotic and tantamount to treason. You should just accept the democratic vote, realise that everyone else wants Tory, and vote Tory next time or else u hate Britain.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
agreed, confidence, corbyn, deal, demonising, dup, left, power, principle, tories