Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-08-2017, 07:56 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default Charlottesville:The true voice of reason

Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 08:07 PM #2

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

When you give up the art of the argument and use fists and weapons instead of debate then you have lost it.
Old 15-08-2017, 09:25 PM #3
-

-

He starts spouting off about "SJWs and Leftists" less than 3 minutes into a 26 minute video. "Voice of reason" NM? Come on .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 09:29 PM #4
-

-

Oh and then by 15 minutes he's talking about non-violent, reasonable and philosophical debate by... err... shouting, getting angry, doing silly mocking voices and throwing his hands in the air.

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:00 PM #5
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Just let media and twitterers on both sides keep sperging on about how it's Trump's or SJWs' fault, they'll get bored eventually.

Last edited by Oliver_W; 15-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:16 PM #6

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Fern Britton
BB2023: Olivia

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Fern Britton
BB2023: Olivia

Not impressed by the video or the guy in it NM sorry.

I agree completely with your sentiment NM but i'd have trouble feeling like i'd won when i was laying in the road with my face imploded and a guy stood over me with a gun in his hand and half a magazine still ready to go.
I think the 'discussion' thing doesn't stand much of a chance in the US when people turn up to a march/ gathering or whatever those Nazi's were planning in Charlottesville dressed in Military fatigues armed with M4 style assault weapons.
It's bad enough that they're allowed to carry concealed pistols, even when they're out on the piss (the most likely time that things get heated for ridiculous reasons and violence often ensues). You see some bad enough messes inthis country just when people come to blows fuelled by alcohol but i dread to imagine how bad things could get when those people are carry firearms, especially semi-auto rifles!

It's absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion, that there can be any justification for gun ownership in a country where private gun ownership results in around 34,000 people on average per year. Yeah, that's 34 THOUSAND per year!!!!!

Again, for all the exageration and manipulation that is used to put fear into US citizens regarding terrorism carried out by foreign nationals in the US (mainly to try to enable people like Trump and other racists to push their own xenophobic anti-immigration agendas) only 34 people were killed by terrorists in 2014 in the US while 33,599 people were killed with guns by US citizens in the same year. Almost exactly a 1 to 1000 ratio!!!
As an example in the longer term;
Between 2001 and 2014 (including those killed on 9/11) the total terrorist caused deaths were 3,412 (2,753 on 9/11 alone) while during the same timeframe 440,095 with firearms!!!

Yet 'gun-control' is generally a no-go subject in the US and most politicians are terrified to go near it for fear of losing potential votes.
Some, like Trump, even use increased gun accessability as a selling point for themselves and their Party. After all, one of the few things Trump has done since becoming 'President' was to remove restrictions on people with mentalhealth issues being able to purchase/own guns!!!

When you look at how completely out of control the violence/killings situation is in the US it almost makes the UK look like a hippy commune in comparison (not quite i know but i'm sure you get the point).

'SJW' and similar stupid, lazy pejorative terms just make the whole problem worse, especially as many people (especially ones who can be bothered to type out whole words!) don't even know what they mean.

Last edited by JTM45; 15-08-2017 at 10:24 PM.
JTM45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:42 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
Not impressed by the video or the guy in it NM sorry.

I agree completely with your sentiment NM but i'd have trouble feeling like i'd won when i was laying in the road with my face imploded and a guy stood over me with a gun in his hand and half a magazine still ready to go.
I think the 'discussion' thing doesn't stand much of a chance in the US when people turn up to a march/ gathering or whatever those Nazi's were planning in Charlottesville dressed in Military fatigues armed with M4 style assault weapons.
It's bad enough that they're allowed to carry concealed pistols, even when they're out on the piss (the most likely time that things get heated for ridiculous reasons and violence often ensues). You see some bad enough messes inthis country just when people come to blows fuelled by alcohol but i dread to imagine how bad things could get when those people are carry firearms, especially semi-auto rifles!

It's absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion, that there can be any justification for gun ownership in a country where private gun ownership results in around 34,000 people on average per year. Yeah, that's 34 THOUSAND per year!!!!!

Again, for all the exageration and manipulation that is used to put fear into US citizens regarding terrorism carried out by foreign nationals in the US (mainly to try to enable people like Trump and other racists to push their own xenophobic anti-immigration agendas) only 34 people were killed by terrorists in 2014 in the US while 33,599 people were killed with guns by US citizens in the same year. Almost exactly a 1 to 1000 ratio!!!
As an example in the longer term;
Between 2001 and 2014 (including those killed on 9/11) the total terrorist caused deaths were 3,412 (2,753 on 9/11 alone) while during the same timeframe 440,095 with firearms!!!

Yet 'gun-control' is generally a no-go subject in the US and most politicians are terrified to go near it for fear of losing potential votes.
Some, like Trump, even use increased gun accessability as a selling point for themselves and their Party. After all, one of the few things Trump has done since becoming 'President' was to remove restrictions on people with mentalhealth issues being able to purchase/own guns!!!

When you look at how completely out of control the violence/killings situation is in the US it almost makes the UK look like a hippy commune in comparison (not quite i know but i'm sure you get the point).

'SJW' and similar stupid, lazy pejorative terms just make the whole problem worse, especially as many people (especially ones who can be bothered to type out whole words!) don't even know what they mean.
I can't see the gun issue ever being solved.There's too many guns and too many people unwilling to give them up.
The whole second amendment is to protect the citizens against a corrupt government.Any government who tried to take the people's firearms would be seen as corrupt thus justifying in the minds of the gun nuts a ****ing horrendous bloody civil war.It would be one of the worst things ever seen.I can't see any president ever having that on their watch.
Old 16-08-2017, 07:13 AM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

And the amendment is a story for another day, right now this guy who you purport to be the 'voice of reason' clearly isn't.
Old 16-08-2017, 07:56 AM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
And the amendment is a story for another day, right now this guy who you purport to be the 'voice of reason' clearly isn't.
He is pointing out that just because far right extremists,Nazis,white nationalists = bad that doesn't automatically mean Antifa,BLM,left wing extremists = good.
Violence on both sides is unnecessary and gets nobody anywhere.
The rally was legal with a permit.Without the left going there to try and shut it down with bats,concrete filled bottles,bricks,knives,urine and faeces there wouldn't have been all the violence.
Both sides are guilty is what he is pointing out and violence loses you the argument and is usually the conclusion when you lack the skills to make a solid argument.
So yes,I believe he is the voice of reason.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 16-08-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:30 AM #10
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
He is pointing out that just because far right extremists,Nazis,white nationalists = bad that doesn't automatically mean Antifa,BLM,left wing extremists = good.
The rally was legal with a permit.Without the left going there to try and shut it down with bats,concrete filled bottles,bricks,knives,urine and faeces there wouldn't have been all the violence.
Both sides are guilty is what he is pointing out and violence loses you the argument and is usually the conclusion when you lack the skills to make a solid argument.

I agree completely with the bold bit. But I don't think Trump is the voice of reason. I believe he is a petulant baby who has hardly ever heard the word "no" because he's surrounded by "yes" men and always has been. He doesn't actually have the skills to stop this terrible event from becoming a catalyst for more violence... and that's worrying. The truth in what you say is being hidden by the fact that it's Trump we're dealing with.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:25 AM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I agree completely with the bold bit. But I don't think Trump is the voice of reason. I believe he is a petulant baby who has hardly ever heard the word "no" because he's surrounded by "yes" men and always has been. He doesn't actually have the skills to stop this terrible event from becoming a catalyst for more violence... and that's worrying. The truth in what you say is being hidden by the fact that it's Trump we're dealing with.
Oh yeah,I agree about Trump.He's a liability.My post is talking about the bald fella in the vid.
Old 16-08-2017, 10:49 AM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
And who is?...

It's a straw man argument, having trump in the whitehouse has empowered the extreme right which in turn has spurned an extreme counter group, it's reactionary, yes that's understood.

Yet how does it make this right wing mouthpiece with his derogatory mocking monologuing the voice of reason?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
charlottevillethe, reason, true, voice