Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 17-08-2017, 10:24 AM #3776
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I've not been on here for awhile, it's been good catching back up, although I still don't think that this show is at the peak of seasons 1-4 imo.

Season 7 has been great for the most part, but the only thing that's making it difficult to watch is this forced Jon and Daenarys relationship, it's ashame aswell as I've really enjoyed Daenarys's character throughout the show's run (besides season 5) but this relationship is rushed, and they have nothing in common, and no chemistry imo. It is fan fiction at it's worst and typical of an American TV Show to write some of the most horrible romances.

I am really enjoying the Arya, Sansa, and Littlefinger dynamic, and The Hound, The Brotherhood, and Gendri (excuse the spelling) have all been good aswell, and I've enjoyed characters like Tyrion, Jaime, Bronn, and Davos as usual. Cersei seems a bit wornout of storylines at this point, but she has been an iconic villain for the show so one rough year isn't that bad imo.

Oh and in season 6 I loved Battle Of The Bastards and The Door.
I think the relationship is cannon actually

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 02:46 PM #3777
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Is that really GRRM Leon?

Also Re the new episode :

Spoiler:

Arya has been my favourite character from the start but she's been really annoying since she got back to Winterfell. That stuff with note, what did she actually expect Sansa to do back then? I was shouting at the TV when she said she was watching Ned get beheaded, what did you do to save him??? hhhmmm? So I was glad Sansa said it. I hope they don't ruin her and she redeems herself by killing Little finger and giving Sansa a break
Arya was rushing through the crowd with her hand on Needle to try (and obviously fail) to save Ned though until Yoren grabbed her and forced her not to. So she was at least going to try something. Not that Sansa could do anything either, but yeah. I think

Spoiler:

Both Arya and Sansa are playing their own game within Winterfell that will spell the end of Littlefinger next week, but each of them are getting in the others way.

Then again I expect the Night's King to make it past the Wall next week so maybe it's for the best Arya and Sansa make a run for it and just leave Littlefinger behind at Winterfell.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 03:03 PM #3778
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Ep6

Spoiler:

Tokyo 2020

Old 17-08-2017, 03:31 PM #3779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Is that really GRRM Leon?

Also Re the new episode :

Spoiler:

Arya has been my favourite character from the start but she's been really annoying since she got back to Winterfell. That stuff with note, what did she actually expect Sansa to do back then? I was shouting at the TV when she said she was watching Ned get beheaded, what did you do to save him??? hhhmmm? So I was glad Sansa said it. I hope they don't ruin her and she redeems herself by killing Little finger and giving Sansa a break
Yeah it's him. Reddit were all saying how Jon Snow is based off Young GRRM and Sam is him currently

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 05:07 PM #3780
Banned

Banned

I've had some bits spoiled for me on facebook so now I'm gonna have to ****ing watch it before some twats decide to spoil the rest for me.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:08 PM #3781
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I've had some bits spoiled for me on facebook so now I'm gonna have to ****ing watch it before some twats decide to spoil the rest for me.
Tbf I don't think there were any huge moments to spoil?

Spoiler:

As soon as they showed the Wight Bear, near the beginning, it was obvious that they were hinting at a Wight Dragon. It was always pretty obvious that the Fellowship was going to run into trouble and Danny was going to ride in to help. It was also always obvious that one of them wasn't going to make it back... And IMO pretty obvious who it would be (because of the implications for Beric).

So while it was another brilliant episode; I personally don't think there were too many surprises? It was also pretty obvious that Jon, Beric and The Hound and (because he's only just come back ffs) Gendry would survive. I was worried for Tormund at one point though

Highlight of the episode was Tormund and The Hound talking about Brienne. "... You DO know her!" .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:12 PM #3782
-

-

As for the quality... I'm def going to have to rewatch. The resolution is good but the colour is washed out and it has a (quite bad, IMO) frame stutter in fast paced scenes. That was an old problem with early Netflix rips, which has since been solved.

It's a pretty raw rip, not properly refined and encoded by a decent team. It's also running at about 110% speed same as the last one, you can hear that as soon as the theme starts.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 17-08-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 17-08-2017, 06:15 PM #3783
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
As for the quality... I'm def going to have to rewatch. The resolution is good but the colour is washed out and it has a (quite bad, IMO) frame stutter in fast paced scenes. That was an old problem with early Netflix rips, which has since been solved.

It's a pretty raw rip, not properly refined and encoded by a decent team. It's also running at about 110% speed same as the last one, you can hear that as soon as the theme starts.
i noticed this too
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 07:18 PM #3784
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quite an interesting thought for next season

Spoiler:

Obv now that Viserion is dead (RIP :'( ) he'll begin to rot, whereas Drogon and Rhaegal will continue to grow, i imagine the night king is only going to use him to bring down the wall and doesn't actually expect him to be much use afterward

Old 17-08-2017, 07:23 PM #3785
A great thief

A great thief

re the leaked episode:
Spoiler:

Arya was annoying af reading that note, I knew one of the dragons would die eventually but maybe in a later episode, happy Benjen saved Jon, Thoros dying was tragic, Tormund hilarious as always, Dany made a stupid move taking 2 dragons, we need more Missandei, and probably more but that's all I can think of atm
Old 17-08-2017, 07:25 PM #3786
A great thief

A great thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post
Arya was rushing through the crowd with her hand on Needle to try (and obviously fail) to save Ned though until Yoren grabbed her and forced her not to. So she was at least going to try something. Not that Sansa could do anything either, but yeah. I think
tbf Sansa was fighting away the guard and trying to reach her dad
Old 17-08-2017, 07:33 PM #3787
Banned

Banned

After seeing the quality of the leaked episode, I think I'll just wait.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:34 PM #3788
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

Im going to start season 1 tonight

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:04 PM #3789
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Family death count after Episode 6

Spoiler:

Named characters only. Including extras the Frey's are far, far, far in the lead.

Females married into another family are categorized into the married family, excluding Cersei.
Cersei & Jaime's children are categorized as Lannisters, as the last official Baratheon (Stannis) considered them such, and they don't have any Baratheon blood.
Jon is categorized as a Stark because he'll always be one in my eyes.

Lannister - 9 (Alton, Martyn, Willem, Joffrey, Tywin, Myrcella, Lancel, Kevan, Tommen)
Stark - 6 (Ned, Robb, Talisa, Cat, Rickon, Benjen)
Baratheon - 5 (Robert, Renly, Shireen, Selyse, Stannis)
Frey - 4 (Black Walder, Walder, Stevron, Lothar)
Tyrell - 4 (Margaery, Loras, Mace, Olenna)
Bolton - 4 (Roose, Walda, Roose & Walda's newborn, Ramsay)
Martell - 3 (Oberyn, Doran, Trystane) (7 inc. Sand Snakes & Ellaria)
Tully - 2 (Hoster, Blackfish)
Arryn - 2 (Jon, Lysa)
Greyjoy - 1 (Balon)
Targaryen - 1 (Viserys)

Characters alive per family:

Stark - 4 (Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran)
Greyjoy - 4 (Theon, Yara, Euron, Aeron)
Lannister - 3 (Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion)
Tully - 3 (Edmure, Roslin, Edmure & Roslin's baby)
Arryn - 1 (Robin)
Targaryen - 1 (Daenerys)
Baratheon - 0 (1 if you count bastard Gendry)
Tyrell - 0
Bolton - 0
Martell - 0
Frey - 0

Would be really interesting to see a map and see where all of the characters have died. Looking at that list the large majority of them have died within castles and strongholds, hardly any in battle or while travelling.

Last edited by Locke.; 17-08-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:05 PM #3790
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
After seeing the quality of the leaked episode, I think I'll just wait.
There are 2 versions, depending on where you're looking. The one I watched was HD with perfect sound, but the first one I attempted to watch was pretty average quality with terrible sound.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:07 PM #3791
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I think the relationship is cannon actually
From what I've heard from book fans they don't even meet in the books and it's very telling as it's really bad writing from the show imo as they're rewriting the fact that Daenarys is not really the most open and trusting to someone that she barely knows, yet she's already falling in love with Jon Snow? It's the only storypoint at the moment imo where there's gaping errors in the writing away from the action scenes which imo action scenes are suppose to be unrealistic to make them exciting.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 17-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:19 PM #3792
-

-

Quote:
There are 2 versions, depending on where you're looking. The one I watched was HD with perfect sound, but the first one I attempted to watch was pretty average quality with terrible sound.
But the HD one is washed out quite badly (blacks are an obvious mid-grey) and the stutter on action and camera panning is so bad that I actually lost track of who was who in a few battle scenes.

My wife didn't notice either issue though so it might be down to the individual.

The stutter is less on the "tinkered with" SD version, but still present, and the resolution is worse than 480p.

For anyone who can dodge the spoilers I'd say wait for true 720/1080p on Monday. I'm going to try my best to if there are any more leaks .
Old 17-08-2017, 08:23 PM #3793

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

There's a lot of problems with the writing this season, although I can't imagine it's easy for the writers, now that the show has gone beyond the books and they have no source material to work from. I doubt when they started making Game of Thrones they believed they would be writing everything themselves towards the end. GRRM obviously gives them the plot points, but it must be difficult to fill in the blanks.

I can't help but feel the show could have done with another series or two. After 6 seasons that have moved slowly, to this season which is moving as sonic speed and characters are teleporting across the world between scenes, I'm finding it difficult to be as immersed in the storyline.

It's still one of the best shows on TV and I love the characters and battle scenes. I feel something is missing this season though, compared to previous seasons.
Jamesy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:29 PM #3794
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy View Post
There's a lot of problems with the writing this season, although I can't imagine it's easy for the writers, now that the show has gone beyond the books and they have no source material to work from. I doubt when they started making Game of Thrones they believed they would be writing everything themselves towards the end. GRRM obviously gives them the plot points, but it must be difficult to fill in the blanks.

I can't help but feel the show could have done with another series or two. After 6 seasons that have moved slowly, to this season which is moving as sonic speed and characters are teleporting across the world between scenes, I'm finding it difficult to be as immersed in the storyline.

It's still one of the best shows on TV and I love the characters and battle scenes. I feel something is missing this season though, compared to previous seasons.
Either that or they should have sped up other parts of the show earlier, towards the end of S5 it felt like they were dragging it out as much as possible in the hopes that by the time S6 started the next book would have been released and it wouldn't have been as much of a spoiler for book readers, now obviously they're past that point so it just feels like they're steaming ahead

Old 17-08-2017, 09:21 PM #3795
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But the HD one is washed out quite badly (blacks are an obvious mid-grey) and the stutter on action and camera panning is so bad that I actually lost track of who was who in a few battle scenes.

My wife didn't notice either issue though so it might be down to the individual.

The stutter is less on the "tinkered with" SD version, but still present, and the resolution is worse than 480p.

For anyone who can dodge the spoilers I'd say wait for true 720/1080p on Monday. I'm going to try my best to if there are any more leaks .
I didn't notice any of this tbh. But then again I don't have Sky Atlantic in HD so I usually watch episode in worse quality than this leak anyway.
Old 17-08-2017, 10:59 PM #3796
A great thief

A great thief

Quote:
Tyrell - 0
Margaeary, Lady Olenna & Loras
Old 17-08-2017, 11:47 PM #3797
Banned

Banned

That was probably the worst episode of GoT ever.

Spoiler:

And it was all because of the poor TV-esque forced conflict between Sansa and Arya as well as the continued out of nowhere Dany paranoia at the beginning.

Neither Arya or Sansa are dumb but they are being made purposefully dumb in order to force this storyline along. Arya would have understood Sansa's perspective if this was any other season and Sansa wouldn't have been dumb enough to buy into Littlefinger's obvious plot. It's contrived and it's piss poor writing. The plot should fit around the characters, characters shouldn't be changed to fit the plot.

Dany questioning everyone that has stuck with her thus far for no other reason then to create a bit of conflict is equally annoying especially considering her scenes in the last half of the episode where she felt like a completely different character. The paranoia scenes go against everything they've developed with Dany so far and they stick out like a sore thumb. She's a positively schizophrenic character at this point and it's purely down to these poorly written scenes. It makes no narrative sense for Daenerys to doubt Tyrion after everything, it's just another forced plot contrivance.

The rest of the episode with the Westeros Avengers beyond the wall was really good but the bad writing in the other scenes just completely ruined the episode for me. I liked how it ended although I admit I'm getting quite bored of the White Walkers, there's only so much you can do with a villain that is essentially a force of nature rather than a character especially in a show like this which is very much character focused. Unless the Night King suddenly becomes chatty and interesting, I'm not looking forward to a potential season of him. I'm hoping my theory from last week is correct and they are dealt with quickly as the main narrative pull of the White Walkers is seeing how everyone will work together and the writers have set up that alliance already and it'll probably happen in the next episode. Anything else in the White Walker storyline ultimately feels like padding.

Viserion's death was well done and sad although the first trailer for this season that showed a dragon with blue eyes spoiled the twist and we could have done without. It's nice that the writers remembered for a few moments that Daenerys isn't a random paranoid mess too and I liked the cementing of the alliance between her and Jon.

Poor Thoros gettting such a crappy death.
Old 18-08-2017, 12:49 AM #3798
-

-

Spoiler:

I do feel like they've set up a potential swift end to the Walkers now, with the realisation that killing a walker kills all of those "under" that walker... And so if someone can kill the Night King, the rest will be dust. Most likely scenario would be Dany et al leading a huge battle as a distraction while Jon gets in close for the kill.

I just sort of wonder where they go after that though? Switch back to the war for the throne? There's not that much of Westeros left to rule at this point... Half the ancient noble houses are extinct and no one really cares anymore
Old 18-08-2017, 01:08 AM #3799
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Spoiler:

I do feel like they've set up a potential swift end to the Walkers now, with the realisation that killing a walker kills all of those "under" that walker... And so if someone can kill the Night King, the rest will be dust. Most likely scenario would be Dany et al leading a huge battle as a distraction while Jon gets in close for the kill.

I just sort of wonder where they go after that though? Switch back to the war for the throne? There's not that much of Westeros left to rule at this point... Half the ancient noble houses are extinct and no one really cares anymore
Spoiler:

Thankfully, in my opinion. I feel like the only juicy part of the White Walkers storyline if it lasted a season would be how you'd get everyone working together and they've set how that will happen up in the space of two episodes. I say give us a big feature length episode with everyone vs the White Walkers next season and be done with it. The White Walkers are basically a plot device for big spectacles, I don't think there's a need to drag their storyline out any further and risk the spectacle getting boring and overplayed.

The rest of next season will be about Dany vs Jon, a second Dance of Dragons, if you will. Jon's true heritage will be revealed and they'll end up turning on each other. The whole shipping of them this season is setting them up for a tragic storyline next season I think.
Old 18-08-2017, 07:53 AM #3800
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Jon doesn't want the throne, why would he turn on her

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
airing, game, season, thread, thrones