Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-11-2017, 10:04 AM #151
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
If you don't believe that Jesus was God then you aren't a christian... the bible makes it very clear the difference between prophets that spoke the word of God, and the actual EVENT of GOD coming to earth. That's the whole point of the new testament. and if you don't believe the new testament, then you're basically just a Jew. to put it bluntly.
it's been a while, so i thought i better check

In the New Testament, "Son of God" is applied to Jesus on many occasions.[2] Jesus is declared to be the Son of God on two separate occasions by a voice speaking from Heaven. Jesus is also explicitly and implicitly described as the Son of God by himself and by various individuals who appear in the New Testament.[2][5][6][7] As applied to Jesus, the term is a reference to his role as the Messiah, the King chosen by God.[8] The contexts and ways in which Jesus' title, Son of God, means something more than or other than Messiah remain the subject of ongoing scholarly study and discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_God
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:06 AM #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post

In the New Testament, "Son of God" is applied to Jesus on many occasions.[2] Jesus is declared to be the Son of God on two separate occasions by a voice speaking from Heaven. Jesus is also explicitly and implicitly described as the Son of God by himself and by various individuals who appear in the New Testament.[2][5][6][7] As applied to Jesus, the term is a reference to his role as the Messiah, the King chosen by God.[8] The contexts and ways in which Jesus' title, Son of God, means something more than or other than Messiah remain the subject of ongoing scholarly study and discussion.

jews and Muslims and many other religions believe Jesus was just a prophet. But the very defining characteristic of christianity was that jesus was the coming of God in human form to the Earth.

If you ar a christian you have to believe that Jesus was god, that's the one thing that you cannot debate in Christianity. Because if Jesus was not God, then he wasn't the Christ, literally.

The idea that Jesus of Nazareth was God is literally the entire basis of the Christian religion. I can't believe we are even debating this.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-11-2017 at 10:07 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:08 AM #153
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I'm no expert but its the way we were taught it in school that they're the same "person"

like this :

Is Jesus God?
Some say Jesus Christ was just a man, or maybe a great teacher. But He was and is much more than that. The Bible says Jesus is unique in both His person and His purpose. He wasn’t just some spiritual individual during His time on earth; He was both God’s Son (John 3:16) and God Himself—God in human flesh (I Timothy 3:16). Yes, He was fully man, but He was also fully God (Colossians 2:9).

The claims

Jesus claimed to be God. It might be hard to understand how this could be true, but it’s important to remember that God is much bigger and more powerful than we can comprehend. We do know that Jesus said He existed before Abraham (John 8:58). He claimed that He and His Father are one (John 10:30), and that He is equal with the Father (John 5:17-18).

Not only did He claim to be God, but He also claimed to have the power of God. He said He has the authority to judge the nations (Matthew 25:31-46). He claims the authority to raise people from the dead (John 5:25-29) and to forgive sins (Mark 2:5-7)—things only God can do (I Samuel 2:6; Isaiah 43:25).

Further, Jesus says He has the power to answer prayers (John 14:13-14), and that He will be with His followers always (Matthew 28:20). The New Testament equates Jesus to the creator of the universe (John 1:3), and in John 16:15, He says, “All that belongs to the Father is mine.”

https://goingfarther.net/common-questions/is-jesus-god/

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 13-11-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:16 AM #154
You know my methods

You know my methods

Jesus is god according to the tale

Its kind of the whole deal

the trinity et al
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:16 AM #155

Why would christians pray to Jesus as their lord and savior if Jesus wasn't God? wouldn't that be worshiping a false idol? it's because Jesus is God! (according to christians)

This whole conversation is making me uncomfortable because i'm an athiest now, but I am very clear on my understanding of Christianity, and Jesus is very clearly God in all of christianity. aka THE Lord and Savior. Literally Jesus is God in christianity. I'm very sure about that.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:17 AM #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Jesus is god according to the tale

Its kind of the whole deal

the trinity et al
thank you! i know i'm not crazy.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-11-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:17 AM #157
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Why would christians pray to Jesus as their lord and savior if Jesus wasn't God? wouldn't that be worshiping a false idol? it's because Jesus is God! (according to christians)

This whole conversation is making me uncomfortable because i'm an athiest now, but I am very clear on my understanding of Christianity, and Jesus is very clearly God in all of christianity. aka THE Lord and Savior. Literally Jesus is God in christianity. I'm very sure about that.
Same

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 13-11-2017, 10:18 AM #158
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
thank you! i know i'm not crazy.
wait, i did not confirm that
Old 13-11-2017, 10:19 AM #159
You know my methods

You know my methods

I think that they had to make Jesus god for the whole shebang to work
Old 13-11-2017, 10:21 AM #160
-

-

It seems simple enough to me; God created a physical human body (which you could call "his son", physically, a human body that he created) but then he put himself, or a humanised incarnation of himself, into that physical body. The body is just a vehicle (an avatar) for the "soul" of God himself, which existed before, and continued to exist after, the body. The body itself didn't have its own separate individual self, however, the "human life" and experiences that God lived inside that body could be considered distinct from the rest of his existence. You could argue that the experience of being human himself altered his understanding of humanity, hence the tonal differences between the new and old testaments, and the general insistence that anything contradictory to the old testament contained in the new testament should be considered to "override" the old testament.

I kind of wish there was truth in it, it's a fascinating story really. I get why people get so invested in it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:23 AM #161
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

That's kind of explained here :

Jesus can be both God and the son of God because the terms don't mean the same thing. When we say that Jesus is God (John 1:1, 14; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:8), we are saying that Jesus possesses the divine nature (as well as a human nature, see hypostatic union). But the term "Son of God" does not mean that Jesus is not God. Think about it. If the term "Son of God" meant that Jesus is not God, then does the term "Son of Man" mean that Jesus is not a man? Of course not. Likewise, if the term "Son of Man" means that Jesus is a man, then does it not imply that when it says Jesus is the "Son of God" that he is God? We ought not look at the ancient words found in Scripture and judge them by modern thinking.

"For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God," (John 5:18).

As you can see in this verse, Jesus was calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God. Therefore, the term Son of God is a designation of the equality with God when it is a reference to Christ.

https://carm.org/how-can-jesus-be-bo...and-son-of-god

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Niamh.; 13-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:23 AM #162
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It seems simple enough to me; God created a physical human body (which you could call "his son", physically, a human body that he created) but then he put himself, or a humanised incarnation of himself, into that physical body. The body is just a vehicle (an avatar) for the "soul" of God himself, which existed before, and continued to exist after, the body. The body itself didn't have its own separate individual self, however, the "human life" and experiences that God lived inside that body could be considered distinct from the rest of his existence. You could argue that the experience of being human himself altered his understanding of humanity, hence the tonal differences between the new and old testaments, and the general insistence that anything contradictory to the old testament contained in the new testament should be considered to "override" the old testament.

I kind of wish there was truth in it, it's a fascinating story really. I get why people get so invested in it.
and of course they HAD to punish him, crucify him, break his legs etc to atone for our sins

i mean he could not just let him live and atone anyroad now could he

Old 13-11-2017, 10:30 AM #163

Quote:

not just a physical body, supposedly he was the only human ever born without sin since Adam. Literally a boy born with the spirit of God, he did not have original sin, and he was God on earth. God purposefully impregnated Mary with himself to be born onto the Earth.

Saying a boy made from God, well then Jesus would be no different than Adam, because God made Adam aswell, Adam was truly the "son" of God.

Jesus was not the son of God, Jesus was actually God.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:31 AM #164
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
That's kind of explained here :

Jesus can be both God and the son of God because the terms don't mean the same thing. When we say that Jesus is God (John 1:1, 14; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:8), we are saying that Jesus possesses the divine nature (as well as a human nature, see hypostatic union). But the term "Son of God" does not mean that Jesus is not God. Think about it. If the term "Son of God" meant that Jesus is not God, then does the term "Son of Man" mean that Jesus is not a man? Of course not. Likewise, if the term "Son of Man" means that Jesus is a man, then does it not imply that when it says Jesus is the "Son of God" that he is God? We ought not look at the ancient words found in Scripture and judge them by modern thinking.

"For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God," (John 5:18).

As you can see in this verse, Jesus was calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God. Therefore, the term Son of God is a designation of the equality with God when it is a reference to Christ.

https://carm.org/how-can-jesus-be-bo...and-son-of-god
well that's as clear as .... mud

anyway, given its entirely a work of fiction to my mind, i really don't care one way or another, but I do know what I was taught as a kid, and that was what I repeated.

Wars have been fought (literally) over less
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:32 AM #165
-

-

Quote:
not just a physical body, supposedly the only human ever born without sin since Adam. literally a boy born with the spirit of God, he did not have original sin, and he was God on earth.

Saying a boy made from God, well then Jesus would be no different than Adam, because God made Adam aswell, Adam was truly the "son" of God.

Jesus was not the son of God, Jesus was actually God.
Well that would be because original sin is part of the soul that inhabits the human body, whereas Jesus didn't have a human soul, he was just a flesh-suit for the soul of God to ride around in for a while.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:33 AM #166

It's really weird to me that so many christian people on this forum are so confused about the nature of Jesus. I'm a total atheist and it seems i understand the religion more than most people. lol
Old 13-11-2017, 10:34 AM #167

Quote:
Well that would be because original sin is part of the soul that inhabits the human body, whereas Jesus didn't have a human soul, he was just a flesh-suit for the soul of God to ride around in for a while.
eggggsactly. Jesus was GOD. That's the whole point. You get it. That's the entire premise of the religion. I didn't realize that some people didn't get that. Some people seem to think that Jesus is a separate entity from God.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:35 AM #168
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
well that's as clear as .... mud

anyway, given its entirely a work of fiction to my mind, i really don't care one way or another, but I do know what I was taught as a kid, and that was what I repeated.

Wars have been fought (literally) over less
Oh me neither but it is definitely how I was taught it

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 13-11-2017, 10:36 AM #169
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
yeah exactly I thought the article I posted explained it pretty well, basically if being "the Son of man" makes you a man then being "the Son of God" would make you God

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 13-11-2017, 10:39 AM #170

anyways, the whole thing makes no sense, so I really can't believe that i'm defending it or explaining it lol
Old 13-11-2017, 10:39 AM #171
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
anyways, the whole thing makes no sense, so I really can't believe that i'm defending it or explaining it lol
Same

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 13-11-2017, 10:42 AM #172
You know my methods

You know my methods

so who is the Pope then?

Old 13-11-2017, 10:42 AM #173
-

-

The way I see it is, if I can justify the lore behind Game of Thrones then I can justify the lore behind Game of Bibles . It's fiction but meh... I like fiction, and thinking about fiction, even if half of the time the ideas that come out of it are way beyond what the writer actually ever intended.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:42 AM #174

Quote:

Never mind scholarly discussion. Lostalex knows.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:43 AM #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Same
*huggles and snuggles* I missed you. we'll be fine.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-11-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
advert, attacked, christmas, family, featuring, muslim, tesco